Boulder Ridge Referb

Well, those spy photos definitely indicate a full refurb a la SSR. Now whether or not we find it aesthetically pleasing is another thing.

Did you at least take them out of the trunk of the car and put them back in the garage?
I keep 'em in my space box. I only have to pull them when ski season starts.

I’m back at home, so keep checking and updating! We were in 4537, right next door to the rooms being remodeled. Yesterday when I was at the FD, I asked about the refurbishment and was told half of BR was going down starting in October then once done, they were taking the rest of the rooms out of service to complete the project. No timeline for completion, though. I did notice yesterday morning the sign was gone, probably makes sense, it just advertised something was going on. I never did make it up to the 5th floor. Those 11 days went by too quickly! Can’t wait to see what the changes will look like!
Sounds like it got moved up by a couple months since it seems they've already taken room out of service. I would hope the ones they are doing right now might be starting to come back into service in October. And I say that with my fingers crossed because we will be there the end of October and I'd like a remodeled room 😊

Well, those spy photos definitely indicate a full refurb a la SSR. Now whether or not we find it aesthetically pleasing is another thing.

Did you at least take them out of the trunk of the car and put them back in the garage?

Eh - they pretty much did the same thing in 2014 other than leaving the wall tiles in the bathroom. Once you got in you discovered the cabinets only had the fronts painted - and not a good job. The fridges did not fit in the existing space, they bought the throw rugs at Lowes (IMO) and the sofa from discount furniture.

I'm in the wait and see mode too.

Eh - they pretty much did the same thing in 2014 other than leaving the wall tiles in the bathroom. Once you got in you discovered the cabinets only had the fronts painted - and not a good job. The fridges did not fit in the existing space, they bought the throw rugs at Lowes (IMO) and the sofa from discount furniture.

All the tiles, kitchen and bathroom, were gone. Room was down to the concrete floor and no cabinets or fixtures at all. Cabinets and countertops all ripped out. Bathtub, shower, and sinks gone. The rooms were empty shells, only thing that remains are the walls.

They are way past that on this work.

Keep in mind though, that it is very common when doing kitchen remodels (where cabinet boxes are built to measure to match the exact dimensions of the space, versus a bathroom vanity that can usually be ordered off the shelf) to keep the cabinet frames in place and simply replace the shelves, drawer faces (or complete drawers) and doors and to re-skin any exposed elements of the face frames, then install new counter-tops. It saves money, a ton of long lead time, and really makes zero difference in the long run as there's almost never anything wrong with the cabinet boxes themselves. As for appliances not fitting, that's just the result of placing an idiot who can't measure or read measurements in charge of ordering (an absolutely typical Disney move).

Checked in today (room was ready at 7:30AM). We’re on the 3rd floor. As usual when I stay in a new place I explored the entire building. 5th & 4th floor have plastic on the carpet & signs on each floor but I saw or heard no construction going on today. The plastic on the fifth floor goes all the way to room 5545 but on the fourth floor it stops at 5535. I also noticed the plastic in front of those two rooms on the fourth floor go all the way to the room while everywhere else is just in the middle of the hallway on the carpet. The sign saying no photography was not up today. I will check during the week we are here until next Saturday.

5th Floor pics are first then 4th floor.
Thank you very much for taking the time to shoot those photos. Please take more if you find the time, they are greatly appreciated.

All the tiles, kitchen and bathroom, were gone. Room was down to the concrete floor and no cabinets or fixtures at all. Cabinets and countertops all ripped out. Bathtub, shower, and sinks gone. The rooms were empty shells, only thing that remains are the walls.
Yes, I was referring to 2014 when they did new counter tops, new flooring everywhere - tile, carpet, laminate. Basically the same except for the wall tiles in the bathroom areas which now have been removed. Just the removal didn't mean it was a good job last time.

They are way past that on this work.

Keep in mind though, that it is very common when doing kitchen remodels (where cabinet boxes are built to measure to match the exact dimensions of the space, versus a bathroom vanity that can usually be ordered off the shelf) to keep the cabinet frames in place and simply replace the shelves, drawer faces (or complete drawers) and doors and to re-skin any exposed elements of the face frames, then install new counter-tops. It saves money, a ton of long lead time, and really makes zero difference in the long run as there's almost never anything wrong with the cabinet boxes themselves. As for appliances not fitting, that's just the result of placing an idiot who can't measure or read measurements in charge of ordering (an absolutely typical Disney move).

Ummm - I don't know that they are that far past what they did the last time. A little more because of the wall tiles. Perhaps they just decided to send the doors and drawer fronts out to be spray painted this time. I'm hopeful since it should be better but waiting to see.

Ummm - I don't know that they are that far past what they did the last time. A little more because of the wall tiles. Perhaps they just decided to send the doors and drawer fronts out to be spray painted this time. I'm hopeful since it should be better but waiting to see.
That's not how it works, but ok... Not sure what else you'd want them to do when there's nothing left but drywall.

It is definitely a gut. You can’t ask much more for a refurb. I am excited! Saratoga is beautiful even though a bit boring, but Saratoga is a difficult theme. I was amazed what they could even come up with. (The only question for all of Disney is how will those murphy beds hold up). Thank you to everyone who is on a spy mission, truly appreciated.

I have a pitchfork set aside for you if needed.

It is definitely a gut. You can’t ask much more for a refurb. I am excited! Saratoga is beautiful even though a bit boring, but Saratoga is a difficult theme. I was amazed what they could even come up with. (The only question for all of Disney is how will those murphy beds hold up). Thank you to everyone who is on a spy mission, truly appreciated.
The murphy beds have to be better than the worn out pull out sofa beds for everyone I would think.

Sounds like it got moved up by a couple months since it seems they've already taken room out of service. I would hope the ones they are doing right now might be starting to come back into service in October. And I say that with my fingers crossed because we will be there the end of October and I'd like a remodeled room 😊
I agree. If they have at least 1 1/2 floors with the plastic protection on the floors, I'd think they'd be working on them now since October is two months away.

The murphy beds have to be better than the worn out pull out sofa beds for everyone I would think.
It's typical disboards. We've gone from "They're never going to refurb BRV" to "They've finally decided to do the BRV refurb but it will probably just be some partial job or a soft goods refresh at best" to "Sure, they're doing a full refurb but they could have done more and they probably won't do a good job anyway".

The next step will be "Well, I've read that when Riviera comes up for their first refurb, the plan is to demolish the whole resort and rebuild from the ground up. I don't know why BRV doesn't get that kind of love".

Last edited:
I agree. If they have at least 1 1/2 floors with the plastic protection on the floors, I'd think they'd be working on them now since October is two months away.
My guess would be that the areas that have the partial carpet runners are probably having the contents that are being kept packed up for storage (kitchen contents, etc.) and furniture removed. Stuff that will have carts and dollies running over the carpet, but no construction debris. The areas fully dropped out with plastic are likely those where they anticipate demo carts running and dragging more significant amounts of dirt and out of the room. Ultimately, the hallway carpeting will be replaced per the areas outside the test rooms, but they'll do that last.

That's not how it works, but ok... Not sure what else you'd want them to do when there's nothing left but drywall.

I'm lost on what you believe I am saying. So trying to clarify - even if they rip everything out it can be a hash job either by inferior quality selection or inferior installation don't you think? There was a bit of both on the previous renovation. Then there's the possibility of design.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter