Breaking news-Travelers flying from New York to Florida will be placed under 14-day quarantine,

The governors are going to do what they feel is in the best interests of their states, no matter what anybody thinks about it.

I'll ask another direct question which you will probably also ignore (are you a politician? :) ).

Any idea how keeping the tri-state on the list and not having current hotspots in the list is in FL's best interest?

FL already set a precedent by quickly removing LA from the original list. Now the 3 states are in the top 10 best of most every covid tracking category, why were they not removed like LA was?

I think complaining to the Governor of Florida is unrealistic, just as me complaining to the Governor of NY would be. The governors are going to do what they feel is in the best interests of their states, no matter what anybody thinks about it.

I do think many have legitimate complaints with both Disney and DVC.

Disney has your AP money in their bank account and it costs them absolutely nothing to extend the expiration date -- unless you decide to buy another one. They should extend your AP. (I'm not saying they will, just that they should.)

DVC is a similar situation. I know their legal arguments about natural disasters and points expiration policies...and extending your points would cost them some money. Blah, blah, blah -- I get it.

But they would be better off long-term to treat their customers right and keep them happy. I think they are taking a manageable opportunity to do good things and handling it badly. Glad I'm no longer an owner.
The complaining is due to the restriction targeted on one area which is doing very well. There is no scientific basis at this point otherwise many other states would be restricted. I don’t think this is based on what is good for the state. It’s based on something else.

Just had another thought on this. What is he going to do about delegates from the tri-state area to the Republican National Convention next month? Are there Republicans in the Tri-state area 🤷‍♀️😁?? Do they get special dispensation?

Just had another thought on this. What is he going to do about delegates from the tri-state area to the Republican National Convention next month? Are there Republicans in the Tri-state area 🤷‍♀️😁?? Do they get special dispensation?
I was thinking the same.

We have 200 points that need to be used by the end of September (we were going to go in August but the travel ban extension killed that)-just called DVC and I was able to get those points back into the bank! So I’m happy about that but sad no trip. Fingers crossed we can get there for our 3 day Columbus Day weekend trip.

We have 200 points that need to be used by the end of September (we were going to go in August but the travel ban extension killed that)-just called DVC and I was able to get those points back into the bank! So I’m happy about that but sad no trip. Fingers crossed we can get there for our 3 day Columbus Day weekend trip.

Thats great to hear! Hopefully others will be able to do the same.

I really do wish when the mandate was passed for the Tri-State area it meant what the Tri-State area means to people from this area which is essentially residents of Metropolitan NY and the nearby communities that travel to and from on a regular basis.
I agree. I would take it a step further and say that any city or area with a certain amount of cases in relation to their overall population would/should have a mandate for quarantine. This is why.... I don't live in the tri-state area, but in PA about 2 hours from NYC where a lot of residents here work or have dual residency and travel daily. Our numbers were high because of direct and continual traffic to and from NYC and our positive cases were grossly disproportionate to our population. We got slammed early and hard by covid. But we were never on the list to quarantine in Florida if we went. And our numbers in no way reflected what was happening in the rest of the state, aside from the Philadelphia area, so a blanket "just ban the whole state" wouldn't have made sense.

When we started to recover a little in June here I toyed with the idea of traveling to Florida in the fall but now I wouldn't dare, just by watching the growing cases. I don't need to go from one hot spot to another, thank you very much! But our state has now required people coming from a hot state, Florida included, to mandatory quarantine for 14 days upon coming home. So that's a definite no for us.
I am really hoping we don't have to reschedule our trip again on September 16th. But if we have to we will, I told my wife last night I'll reschedule 100 times if I have to, lol.
Our first trip in May was cancelled and I didn't even try to reschedule. Everything is so fluid now and can change at the drop of a hat. I'm not comfortable even looking at booking a trip until next year.

The complaining is due to the restriction targeted on one area which is doing very well. There is no scientific basis at this point otherwise many other states would be restricted. I don’t think this is based on what is good for the state. It’s based on something else.
I agree. There's no medical basis for continuing the quarantine from the tri state area into Fl. and I would take it up with Disney to honor DVC issues that are out of your control.

I do feel like the tourism industry is so vital to Florida that they have to try to make it work in some way, but they can't really go back on opening/closing things at this point and have to reimburse everyone, so they are looking at the mandatory 14 day quarantine for people from up here as an easy way to control at least some part of flow of people into the state. It doesn't make sense as our numbers are far lower now, but it's easier than allowing another flood of tourists in.

I did a quick search on https://www.visitflorida.org/resources/research/
on Florida visitors from each state from 2019. The states that had the highest number of visitors to Florida in 2019 were New York (10%) and GA (9.4%). I can certainly see how they they *might* look at the mandatory quarantine as a way to control the flow into Florida. It already exists, and has for months, so why not just extend it.

And I think that the Florida governor and authorities are probably overwhelmed with what to do to fix the rising cases and lack of ICU and hospital beds that they can't be bothered to look at other issues now. Why allow more people into the state when you're already overwhelmed with what's happening?

What I'm not seeing much of is responses from people from the Tri state area, and PA, who are now required to quarantine for 14 days if they return from Florida or other hot state. Are people going to ignore that?

Definition of tristate area:
View attachment 507410

I called the Florida Covid-19 information number a month ago or so asking what their definition of Tri State area is under this order and she let me know that it was all three states, not just the Metro areas that they typically refer to.

They should just say New York, New Jersey and Connecticut to avoid confusion.

I did a quick search on https://www.visitflorida.org/resources/research/
on Florida visitors from each state from 2019. The states that had the highest number of visitors to Florida in 2019 were New York (10%) and GA (9.4%). I can certainly see how they they *might* look at the mandatory quarantine as a way to control the flow into Florida. It already exists, and has for months, so why not just extend it.

That's some useful info, thanks!

The quarantine makes even less sense now that I see the visitor numbers - they could remove NY and replace it with the actual hotspots of TX and CA and net out to the same visitor reduction. Instead they give free movement to the hotspots...

What I'm not seeing much of is responses from people from the Tri state area, and PA, who are now required to quarantine for 14 days if they return from Florida or other hot state. Are people going to ignore that?
Probably. I’m sure people feel a lot more comfortable trying to dodge it where they live ....and honestly it wouldn’t be too hard to avoid getting caught should they check on you.

I called the Florida Covid-19 information number a month ago or so asking what their definition of Tri State area is under this order and she let me know that it was all three states, not just the Metro areas that they typically refer to.

They should just say New York, New Jersey and Connecticut to avoid confusion.
I just got off the phone with the FL COVID hotline. I was told to keep an eye on the website as things will be changing in regard to the states with travel restrictions. This was after I pleaded my case about the vague “tristate” confusion in the EO. She was super nice and said your state is doing good and may not even be on there when the changes take place. 😁 So let’s wait and see!! She said they have gotten lots of calls.

What I'm hoping for is the positive test rate to come down below 10% by September 16th for our trip. At least with the quarantine in NY you can tell what states apply and dont apply since its based on metrics of the past 7 days of a state. So I'm hoping Florida can come down by then in two months, which I think is very doable if communities work together to calm the spread down.

If it hasn't changed by then fortunately I can work from home.

I just got off the phone with the FL COVID hotline. I was told to keep an eye on the website as things will be changing in regard to the states with travel restrictions. This was after I pleaded my case about the vague “tristate” confusion in the EO. She was super nice and said your state is doing good and may not even be on there when the changes take place. 😁 So let’s wait and see!! She said they have gotten lots of calls.

Dont play with my emotions like this. LOL.

Thats a promising experience, thanks for sharing with us. We will definitely have to just wait and see what happens but hopefully they do make some changes to the current states under their quarantine list.

Thank you for sharing what you heard from the hotline! I really hope that is true that things will be changing. New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut have been doing well. Did she mean to keep an eye on the Florida travel advisory site?

Then I suggest the Florida borders be shut completely. Don't let anyone in for any reason. Really, the virus can be brought in by anyone from anywhere. Just be cause you have an example from NYC doesn't mean cases aren't coming from other places. And you aren't restricting them!
That would be unconstitutional.

I am a Florida resident.

Initially, I thought DeSantis handled this relatively well.

Now I am on the other side of the fence.

Someone suggested there must be some logical reason about still requiring the border checks.

From my perspective the only logical explanation is that it is political and face saving.

In regards, to not having enough time to review prior decisions in regards to the check points. Over the last week he has had several news conferences going over the data without adding any additional information. I can get the data from any number of sources.

As a Jacksonville resident, I will not be going anywhere near the Downtown, Beaches (including Fernadina, where the high rollers will be during the RNC and the next two weeks after).

It will get really sticky since the Mayor of Jacksonville/Duval county currently has in place a mandatory face mask/50% occupancy order. What will he do as the RNC convention comes closer.

I

I think the more likely impact of the quarantines up north here now will be for people with employers who know where they have been on vacation/travel and therefore require them to follow the quarantine requirements before returning to work (perhaps unpaid if working remotely is not their current or not a workable situation). Beyond that, enforcement or tracking is not really practicable or possible, I don’t think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter