Breaking news-Travelers flying from New York to Florida will be placed under 14-day quarantine,

Asked and answered.
The Governor as yet, has not been asked about why travelers from hot spots states are under 0 restrictions and travelers from states where current outbreaks are considered BY EXPERTS to have the best rates showing control of spread, are still being asked to quarantine. No he has not answered that, has not even addressed it. Desantis' answer to the question is the only one I'm interested in as only he can give the rationale behind why he is not closing this obvious window (travelers from hot spot states) in order to *truly* protect the residents of his state.

The logic that applies is that it may be a YUGE priority here on the DIS, but it's not something Floridians lay awake nights worrying about. Disney vacations are not a major concern for most people here.

Most of us also have had to cancel vacations. My family had to cancel a 2 1/2 week Alaska bucket-list trip. We canceled it, swallowed whatever losses were involved, and moved on.
Tourism being the driving force behind your economy should make you hope as many (covid-free) people come there and spend as much as possible. Definetly a huge priority for Florida in addition trying to bring the virus #'s down. Sorry you had to cancel your vacation. Stay safe.

Tourism being the driving force behind your economy should make you hope as many (covid-free) people come there and spend as much as possible. Definetly a huge priority for Florida in addition trying to bring the virus #'s down.
Tourism is very important to Florida's economy -- a little more than 10% of our GDP.

We don't really want visitors right now. The handful of large gatherings of people from other places (spring break, Winter Party Festival, etc.) have resulted in large outbreaks of covid. That's why we have canceled dozens of big events and limited others (NASCAR Homestead) to zero spectators.

It's not that we don't love you guys -- we just don't want to be around you right now, and we also don't want you coming here and going back home sick.

Tourism is very important to Florida's economy -- a little more than 10% of our GDP.

We don't really want visitors right now. The handful of large gatherings of people from other places (spring break, Winter Party Festival, etc.) have resulted in large outbreaks of covid. That's why we have canceled dozens of big events and limited others (NASCAR Homestead) to zero spectators.

It's not that we don't love you guys -- we just don't want to be around you right now, and we also don't want you coming here and going back home sick.
I genuinely appreciate your sentiment of not wanting visitors and not wanting people to bring it back home. Unfortunately, it seems as if your governor wants people to visit from all states except NY, NJ, and CT.

I genuinely appreciate your sentiment of not wanting visitors and not wanting people to bring it back home. Unfortunately, it seems as if your governor wants people to visit from all states except NY, NJ, and CT.
Yup.

No matter how you try to spin this, there’s no escaping the point being made... and it has nothing to do with protecting Floridians.

Yup.
No matter how you try to spin this, there’s no escaping the point being made... and it has nothing to do with protecting Floridians.
In the news this morning:
FL shatters daily record of new cases @ 15,000+ This is more than ANY state since the pandemic began!
FL Governor still refuses to make masks mandatory.
NYC reports ZERO new deaths related to Covid 19.

Each passing day I'm wondering what exactly Desantis' game plan is? Theme Parks are allowed to be open so visitors from other states ARE NEEDED. Why are people from the states with high community spread going on right now allowed to keep coming into FL and not having to wear masks (outside of theme parks, that is)? If you know you NEED *some* tourists to keep your economy afloat, why not narrow it down to the ones LEAST likely, at this time, to cause more spread?
Other governors have set parameters for visitors to their states. In this case, there is nothing wrong with being a copy-cat. FL residents should be pleading with their governor to do better!

...not having to wear masks (outside of theme parks, that is)? ...

I believe all the counties where there is significant spread have mask mandates, they just have not made it statewide. And i agree with that approach and think it's one that should have been followed earlier by the US - shutdowns and other actions should have been much more targeted. Why the heck did upstate NY, with almost no spread, have to follow the same early guidelines that NYC did, which was exploding with it?

Last edited:
Apparently NY is providing assistance to Florida now by supplying meds and offering medical equipment, etc. Desantis is not acknowledging this even though the Florida Health Dept is appreciative. Nothing has changed in the quarantine...NY/NJ/CT are still highlighted to require 14 days of lockdown.

I believe all the counties where there is significant spread have mask mandates, they just have not made it statewide. And i agree with that approach and think it's one that should have been followed earlier by the US - shutdowns and other actions should have been much more targeted. Why the heck did update NY, with almost no spread, have to follow the same early guidelines that NYC did, which was exploding with it?
Based on reports Im reading from from travelers to FL (not theme park travel- other travel) and the national news covering situation in FL it seems that there is a very casual, flipant approach toward mask wearing in public places. In a state where the situation is so dire, I'm shocked by this.

Last edited:
I believe all the counties where there is significant spread have mask mandates, they just have not made it statewide. And i agree with that approach and think it's one that should have been followed earlier by the US - shutdowns and other actions should have been much more targeted. Why the heck did update NY, with almost no spread, have to follow the same early guidelines that NYC did, which was exploding with it?

The answer to your question is pretty simple: It's to keep everyone safe and PREVENT an explosion in cases like what NYC experienced and what parts of Florida are currently experiencing. Not wearing masks is basically playing Russian Roulette with public health at this point - you don't know who has it, and you've seen how quickly cases can escalate, are you really okay with walking around still taking the chance that the person next to you isn't sick?

Based on reports Im reading from from travelers to FL (not theme park travel- other travel) and the national news covering situation in FL it seems that there is a very casual, flipant approach toward mask wearing in public places. In a state where the situation is so dire, I'm shocked by this.

True, mandates are one thing and compliance is another...

I’m sorry if this has been discussed, but are they determining/checking this based on the address on your license? Or is it based on arriving flights from the impacted states (for those flying)? I’m wondering about this for both the Florida and NY quarantines.

For example, if I live in NY but have a connection in Chicago, will they be looking at the fact that I came from Chicago or the fact that my address on my license is in NY?

Governor Cuomo has lead NYS through this very traumatic crisis with a carefully executed strategy (IMHO). As a person who resides upstate, the state-wide mask mandate was welcomed as a means to protect all residents from travelers within the state from seeking a reprieve from the mandate upstate (or elsewhere, regionally). Florida residents are in my thoughts during this difficult time. Even with outstanding leadership, navigating this crisis as a citizen will be extremely challenging.

Yes, if a NYS resident travels to a hotspot, he or she is subject to the same quarantine requirements and subsequent penalties as visitors to the state.

I’m sorry if this has been discussed, but are they determining/checking this based on the address on your license? Or is it based on arriving flights from the impacted states (for those flying)? I’m wondering about this for both the Florida and NY quarantines.

For example, if I live in NY but have a connection in Chicago, will they be looking at the fact that I came from Chicago or the fact that my address on my license is in NY?
It's flight origination for Florida, and NY probably uses the same concept. It's where you came from, not your connecting city, ID, or state of residence. So, if you fly from NY, to Chicago, and then to MCO...you are covered by the quarantine requirement.

I believe Florida still has a checkpoint on I-95, and there I assume they use drivers license, tag, etc.

Also, legitimate business travel is NOT subject to Florida's quarantine requirement. Don't know about NY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter