BREAKING: Walt Disney World Introduces Date-Based Variable Pricing for Genie+ Service

Great question.
To keep things apples to apples, I priced things as if our 3 kids were 3, 6 and 8 years old like they were our first visit in 2010. Pricing the last week of September.

Here’s the breakdown.
  • Pop Century Room 1, (1 adult, 2 children) and 8 day base tickets: $3,514
  • Pop Century Room 2, (1 adult, 1 child) and 8 day base tickets: $2,913
  • G+ (to replace FP): $16 per day per person* 7 days: $560 ($18 per day may be more accurate now)
  • Sunshine Flyer to replace DME: $160
  • Dining paying OOP: $1,300 (I’m sure this is way low. In 2010 we did character buffets and ordered the more expensive items on the menu because we had the dining plan included. I would guess equivalent today would be more like $2,000 or more but I didn’t want to exaggerate)
That totals to $8,447, but $9,000 or more may be more accurate.

Dan
Yeah, everything else in the park has increased way more than inflation too.

Great question.
To keep things apples to apples, I priced things as if our 3 kids were 3, 6 and 8 years old like they were our first visit in 2010. Pricing the last week of September.

Here’s the breakdown.
  • Pop Century Room 1, (1 adult, 2 children) and 8 day base tickets: $3,514
  • Pop Century Room 2, (1 adult, 1 child) and 8 day base tickets: $2,913
  • G+ (to replace FP): $16 per day per person* 7 days: $560 ($18 per day may be more accurate now)
  • Sunshine Flyer to replace DME: $160
  • Dining paying OOP: $1,300 (I’m sure this is way low. In 2010 we did character buffets and ordered the more expensive items on the menu because we had the dining plan included. I would guess equivalent today would be more like $2,000 or more but I didn’t want to exaggerate)
That totals to $8,447, but $9,000 or more may be more accurate.

Dan
The hard thing to estimate is food. The first few years we went we ate at signature restaurants every night with the deluxe dining. Now we eat at places like beaches and cream, homecoming, paradiso, via Napoli and a few nights of quick service.

It was a lot of fun the first years trying all the restaurants, and the dining plans were reasonably priced and a good value. I cant imagine what it would cost to eat a signature restaurant every night with two teens probably a months salary Lol

Did the price of G+ increase today? Just wondering, as the initial info said price range was in effect through October.

It is $18 today. You can check in MDE daily. You do not need a reservation or ticket to check.
Thanks for info! That amount is still in the Oct price range, but who knows what will happen as holidays get closer. When I try, the app shows that we are not eligible for G+, so I can't see the price.

Thanks for info! That amount is still in the Oct price range, but who knows what will happen as holidays get closer. When I try, the app shows that we are not eligible for G+, so I can't see the price.
To see the daily price click ‘Purchase for Today’ on the main MDE screen.

868AAC99-3DDB-4642-9F2D-2D478BBA44C4.jpeg
The daily price is displayed towards the top of the screen.

0C51D4E4-DC37-43AF-B116-87A57E78D89A.jpeg

I do not have any tickets linked to my account yet can see info above. Hopefully it works for you too.

If I was making the business decisions and G+ needed to stay.
Get rid of the Individual Lightning Lane. All ILLs will be considered LL now.
Charge $50 for Onsite Guests and APs. 90 minute booking window.
$60 for Offsite 2 hour booking window.
The difference in booking windows should also help take tension away from the app being used hard every two hours.

I think a lot of the changes made under Chapek were in the works before he officially took over. A mega corporation like Disney doesn't just come up with an idea and a month or 2 later, implement it. There's a lot that goes into it before they even do the technical aspects (like developing app etc). So, I think some people's optimism for Iger might be tamped down a bit when some of the main complaints remain.

I'll be happy with access to APs and maybe memory maker included?

I also hate having to get up each day just to purchase Genie+ before even using it. Should be able to purchase day before. I am not a night owl so staying up till midnight is not my thing.

I think a lot of the changes made under Chapek were in the works before he officially took over. A mega corporation like Disney doesn't just come up with an idea and a month or 2 later, implement it. There's a lot that goes into it before they even do the technical aspects (like developing app etc). So, I think some people's optimism for Iger might be tamped down a bit when some of the main complaints remain.

I'll be happy with access to APs and maybe memory maker included?

I also hate having to get up each day just to purchase Genie+ before even using it. Should be able to purchase day before. I am not a night owl so staying up till midnight is not my thing.
Chapek was basically given the reins with no horses.
So he did what he knew best and that is to make as much money as possible no matter what. Which pleased the actual people in charge.

He was not allowed to go against the people Iger put in place.
Hence, which is why he was let go as soon as he announced layoffs were coming. He was going to clean house and bring in his own people.

Would it be too harsh, if they change the G+ to an onsite perk? I know many would hate the idea, but if those who had onsite reservations could only book G+, it would limit users but promote onsite stays. I would definitely be in the minority on this idea, but they really need to get some onsite perks back.

Would it be too harsh, if they change the G+ to an onsite perk? I know many would hate the idea, but if those who had onsite reservations could only book G+, it would limit users but promote onsite stays. I would definitely be in the minority on this idea, but they really need to get some onsite perks back.

In my view... no it wouldn't be too harsh.

But "day of" doesn't discourage anyone from coming, like preplanning would. That only happens when Disney closes Park Reservations. But clearly based on wait times yesterday, those numbers are well beyond any positive guest experience concerns.

They should probably go even a step further- change G+ to a version of the universal pass, 1 fast ride per ride per day, and tied to a single park for that day. Possibly only available to on-site guests, and priced based on volume of attendance. It would pre-sell quickly and they could then use that data to plan ahead for dealing with crowds in popular rides. It would definitely quash the ‘stuck on my phone’ & ‘and I hate the midnight/morning scramble’ issues.

If a day pass was $200 for MK would you pay it for a guaranteed fastpass on every ride? $250? $300?

There are people that don’t do thrill rides or their kids don’t so perhaps another pass option that is not all-inclusive for like $150.

For some parks there are fewer rides - a similar pass at AKL would have to be priced accordingly- that being said, it could still be up there in price if people value a somewhat quicker Avatar, Everest, and Safari experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter