Breastfeeding an older baby at WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. My daughter is 14 months old.She will be 16 months for our trip. I have been trying to wean her, mainly because of this upcoming trip to disney. Let me say. I am the type of mother who prefers to nurse in private. I am heavy breasted, and I am kind of embaressed to nurse around others. Maybe society. Maybe, family pressures, that baby is to old. Whatever it is I am not that comfortable. With that said. My vacation is with family, friends, and those I would not feel comfortable to be in my presence when I nurse. So, my quesrion is if baby is not fully weaned by october. Are the baby care centers nursing areas private? Or is it just a large room with other nursing mothers? If, it is. I will have to make sure baby is weaned fully by october. TIA

HLAuburn said:
Slightly off-topic, but I'm wondering if you extended nursers still use nursing bras.

Nope. I'm not coordinated, and went back to my normal bras (little stretchy nothings) as soon as possible. I just lift up my bra and untuck my shirt from the bottom. I mostly wear long T-shirts (so I've got plenty of coverage if a certain short person permits it), so nursing bras just increased the amount of time I spent fiddling under my shirt. Which I found to be way more embarrassing and conspicuous than nursing itself, because sometimes I needed both hands and to be able to see.

Phoebe :)

As I understand it, there are nursing areas in the Baby Centers that are totally private. And most 16-month-olds who are eating a good varied diet of solids will be fine limiting nursing to the hotel room. My daughter was not a particularly good eater at that age, but she was fine going 12-13 hours between nursings while I was at work. And she was able to understand things like "we nurse in the room; you need to wait until then" much better at 16 months than at 14 months.

Bird-Mom said:
A 3 year old isn't going to ask for much more info than that. I know; I have one. And she nurses all her stuffed animals. ;)

you're kidding, right? :earseek: your 3 year old nurses her stuffed animals? that might be frowned on in pre-school.

gepetto said:
you're kidding, right? :earseek: your 3 year old nurses her stuffed animals? that might be frowned on in pre-school.

My DD when she was 4 and DS when he was 7 both pretended to nurse their animals and dolls when I had their baby brother. It was adorable! I would much rather my kids know that breasts have a wonderful purpose in caring for babies rather than their only purpose is for being ashamed or being sexy. (Yes, I have heard preschoolers talking about being sexy like girls on T.V.)

The longest I have nursed is 18 months. I did, however, start to avoid BFIP once the baby hit about 9-10 mos. Usually at that age they started to get really squirmy and would lift up my shirt and flash everyone :rotfl: I do try and take into consideration the comfort of other people around me, understanding that not everyone is comfortable seeing a baby BFIP, especially an older child. Once a child can eat a snack or share in a meal with the rest of the family, I see no reason why they can't wait to breastfeed at a more convinient time and place--but that is just me.

I wasn't very impressed with the Nursing rooms at WDW. The ones I visited had 3 or 4 rocking chairs and there were always moms waiting in line to get in. Also the rooms were dark and some of the moms got really mad if anyone tried to talk because it distracted their babies :rolleyes: My son was 2 mos old at the time and I pretty much just nursed him wherever. The only time I think it was a bit weird was when I nursed him on the monorail....several of the passengers looked a bit uncomfortable but no one said anything. I am assuming they preferred the sight of a baby nursing (very discreetly!) to a screaming baby :teeth:

DS will be 12 mos old for our next trip to Disney and I have no plans to BFIP unless he is having a meltdown and in that case we will find a quiet and secluded spot to nurse. I am sure we will have plenty of opportunities to nurse in our hotel room and during breaks/naps, etc.

zachyandlindsmom said:
I nursed DD at Animal Kingdom in March 04, she was 28 mos. at the time. We sat in a bench in the shade, even shared the bench with another man and woman. Not even sure if anyone realized what we were up to.

It was trickier to nurse her on the plane, she was pretty big, but I figured a content nursing toddler is much better than a screaming toddler on a plane!

Have fun.
my thoughts too so I knowlong term breast feeding loweres the risk of breast cancer by 30 % :teeth:

gepetto said:

I actully just had a home visit yesterday with my dd's preschool teacher and did mention that my dd nurses her stuffed animals, she said so no big deal at all, kids won't ask anyways, they are to busy playing to notice. My dd doesn't lift her shirt way up or anthing, but she will hold the dolly in the right way to nurse or get the baby to sleep as she says... atleast she know what breasts are for!!!

Bird-Mom said:
Breasts are for feeding. Where is the problem with that? Why should your dd or any other children not be taught and understand how babies are fed? :confused3

I also don't mind children asking me what I am doing. That happens frequently at the park and other places, and I just tell them I am feeding the baby. It is natural and normal.

I think your "polite request" is rude.

I don't think it's rude at all, it was a polite request nothing more. When bottle feeding there is no breast or body part exposed and at WDW I have seen quite a few flashes of breastfeeding moms not covered up.
Whatever you choose to do - have a great time!

and remember some of us feel differently I for one, feel breasts are for other things, not nursing! ;)

lillygator said:
and remember some of us feel differently I for one, feel breasts are for other things, not nursing! ;)
:badpc: :badpc: :badpc: :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :(

Give me a break that has to be the dumbest comment by far on the whole thread!!! Sorry but yes like it or not breast or for breastfeeding or eles your breasts wouldn't fill up with milk while you where pregnant and right after the baby is born, i feel sorry for thoes mom's that have to be all engourged and in pain in the breasts after child birth just because they don't want to feed their baby the way they were ment to...

becca011906 said:
:badpc: :badpc: :badpc: :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :(

Give me a break that has to be the dumbest comment by far on the whole thread!!! Sorry but yes like it or not breast or for breastfeeding or eles your breasts wouldn't fill up with milk while you where pregnant and right after the baby is born, i feel sorry for thoes mom's that have to be all engourged and in pain in the breasts after child birth just because they don't want to feed their baby the way they were ment to...
Ok, so what about women who can't or don't have children? What are theirs for? I guess since the only purpose is feeding they should have them removed from their body!!!
Ughhhh come on here...

It is not a dumb comment- obviously you don't agree with my opinion and no one is asking you to.
....that was really snarky and rude for you to say...

lillygator said:
Ok, so what about women who can't or don't have children? What are theirs for?

The actual # of women who CAN't Breast feed is 2%, that's right 2% of women physically can't breastfeed. thoes who don't have childen that is a person choice. I don't say all women HAVE to breastfeed but yes that is why you have breasts!

I wasn't saying why we have breasts - I was merely pointing out that while during and after childbirth their main function if you choose, would be breastfeeding but some people actually enjoy them during other activites and are used as such not just to feed.

and if the the sole purpose is to feed why can we not just whip them out for squirts from the moment we sprout breasts? Why do we have to go through pregnancy for them to fulfill their destiny?

I am not arguing that they are designed to feed/provide nutrition but they can be used for other things.

anyway I still think what you said was quite rude and hopefully can tear myself away from bantering with you.

Hey, my little one also nurses all his dolls and stuffed animals - and he's a boy!

Why on earth would that be frowned on at preschool? I guess I don't get it. He's just feeding them the way he's been fed.

In my circle though, breastfeeding is absolutely the norm and extended nursing is very common - so nobody even bats an eye to see a 27 month old nursing.

Anyway, back to the poor op's question - please don't worry about it all. It really isn't unusual or odd at Disney. Remember, there are lots of people there from different cultures, and it's much more common to see older nurslings in other places around the world that it is here in the US. Hopefully, though, that will change - and seeing other moms nursing older babies and toddlers in public really is an important part of that process! I honestly don't think you'll have any problems - and if you do, that's really their issue, not yours. Have fun! :goodvibes

becca011906 said:
i feel sorry for thoes mom's that have to be all engourged and in pain in the breasts after child birth just because they don't want to feed their baby the way they were ment to...

please don't judge Moms that don't BF.....some of us nonBF'ing Mom's actually did try to BF and could not get the hang of it, or there were other circumstances that led to bottle feeding. For me, my breasts were a thousand times more painful while breastfeeding than when they became engorged from stopping the breastfeeding. Your comment is a little condescending.

Just adding to say that NIP is normal and I nursed my last DS till he was over a year old and if I was ever to have kids again, I would do it again. I am not against bottles either, I have reccomended some really great bottles to friends. I never believed in having to go somewhere else when my kids were hungry. They ate wherever they were, even in resteraunts while I was eating. Most people thought I wa holding a sleeping baby. People have even offered to take them for me so I could do other things and I had to explain.

This thread is going off-topic so let's get it back on. No debating over breast or bottle or what breasts are for.

For al of who NIP and want an easier nursing bra, Target sells ones with snaps to close. Very comfortable, easy to use and nicely priced @ $13 each.

My advice to the OP, feed you child wherever you are comfortable and whenever they want to. I wouldn't worry about where you are. By the time they are that age, you're a nursing pro and know how to be discreet.

I've nursed several times at the Disneyland centers. If they are similar, you'll have your choice to feed in a large room or private "stalls."

While nursing is an obvious preference because it is better for baby and better for mama (medically proven fact), it is not always possible or available. I have nursed six children... yes, six! We've nursed 'til about age two. Baby number five wouldn't cooperate (allergic reactions through diahrrea and dehydration) and she had to be put onto a hypoallergenic formula. Baby number six is still going strong. While it is true that less than 2% of women can't physically nurse, there are other problems that can interfere. It was really hard for me, after saying that "everyone can nurse" to accept that I should have been a bit more forgiving!!! As much as we mamas that have done NIP have suffered at the hands of people who frown at us, is the same way mamas that have tried and can't suffer at our hands. That's not right. We need to encourage breastfeeding without tormenting other mamas that are trying to do the best for their kiddos.

Also, as far as modesty in nursing. I would have been right there with you mamas for nursing in public. I nurse in public! I wouldn't want to be stuck in some dirty bathroom for my baby to nurse. However, **please** be modest. While we may not like to see breasts sexualized, they are still a very private part of our bodies. I wasn't big on modesty until my little boy became six. He very much notices these things and I don't like him seeing private areas... in a swimsuit, nursed, etc. Yes, he was nursed - to 16 months. He does know what breasts are for, but, whether sexual or not, little boys don't need to see women's private bodies. I **don't** mind him seeing a woman nurse though. The difference is modesty. Moms can nurse modestly. It might take a bit of practice. Also, if we nurse modestly, others are more accepting of NIP. And, after all, isn't that our goal? If we want NIP to be commonly accepted, then we should do our part too. BTW, I do not mean covering with a blanket. I do mean nursing with a t-shirt / shirt that will cover skin. :goodvibes

Blessings,
Kelly
BlessedMama to
Briana (9), Christian (6), Hannah (2/14/01-2/26/01), Elizabeth (3), Rebecca (19 months), and Timothy (8 months)

I didn't realize that I would be setting off such a controversial thread! I appreciate all the comments of the extended nursers and am glad to know that I will not be the only one and that others experiences have been, for the most part, positive.

Just a couple of comments...I think that for the most part, mothers who NIP are very discreet. I have always sought out a relatively quiet spot to feed my daughter for my comfort, my daughter's comfort, and for the comfort of others around us. Like I said, I will most likely be feeding her in the Baby Care Centers because she is easily distractable and it's cool and dark there. That said, I feel very strongly that a woman should be able to feed her baby ANYWHERE (including the pool where there are, in my opinion, scores of people without the excuse of providing there child with nourishment who show WAY too much skin).

I think that it is adorable that so many posters children nurse there stuffed animals and that there is nothing weird about it. Keep in mind that these kids grew up being nursed and have possibly watched younger siblings being nursed. To them, it's no different then when we gave our toys bottles.

faindrops27- I am deliberately making sure that my DD is still nursing for our trip because we have had A LOT of problems with her sleeping through the night when we are away from home. I have found that nursing is the best way to comfort her when we are away from home and she wakes up crying...it's also better for the people in the room next to us!

The Baby Care Centers at Animal Kingdom and MGM had private nursing rooms/stalls. MK and Epcot had a shared nursing room. When we were at WDW last yearin November, DD was nursing every 2-3 hours so I spent a fair amount of time feeding her. The shared nursing rooms were never very busy...maybe one or two more moms and people moved the chairs around for a little more privacy. A lot of times, I was the only one there.

Again, sorry for the controversy and thanks for sharing your experiences.

I breastfed both daughters until they lost interest in me at about 11 months, so I'm definitely pro-breastfeeding.

But I have seen a kid (about 3-4 years old?) walk up to his mom and say "I need some milk", lift up her shirt, pull down her bra and start sucking away. This was before I had my own kids, at the mall, and I gotta say, it really seemed *wrong* to me.

He's standing there, she's sitting there, **** out, and I was like, wow, ok, that's just weird. I wonder how many teenagers walking around the mall that day decided NEVER to breastfeed because of that demonstration.

I have no intellectual justification for not breastfeeding a child (as opposed to a baby), but if the kid is old enough to ask you for your breast, then it just seems like it's time to explore other food choices.

This is a personal opinion, and if I see somebody at Disney nursing a kid (as opposed to nursing a baby), I'm not ever going to say anything to you, because, hey, different strokes for different folks, but I'm definitely going to THINK it's weird.

And the post about functionality of breasts, well, I think about 99% of my life my breasts are going to be decorative, not functional. And I think my breasts are pretty and enhance my femininity. And there's nothing wrong with that! Breasts are great, whether they're working or just showing off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter