Breastfeeding an older baby at WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.

amarberry

DIS Veteran
My DD will be a little bit shy of 15 months when we visit WDW in September. I plan to still be breastfeeding her at that time and was wondering if anyone else could share there experience with breastfeeding an older baby at WDW. I found WDW to be very breastfeeding friendly last fall when DD was 4 months old, but breastfeeding a 15 month old is sometimes not as popularly accepted.

I expect that I won't need to breastfeed her more than once or twice a day while we are at the parks and I'll probably do the majority of the feedings at the Baby Care Centers (last year, I found that it was much easier on DD to nurse in the dark, quiet, and cool Baby Care Center). I am very interested in hearing the experiences of other extended breastfeeders...positive or negative.

Thanks!

We'll be at Pop from 9/22 to 10/1. My then-28-month-old DD will presumably still be nursing, as will her 17-month-old cousin.

FWIW, I nursed my DD in public in Oklahoma until she was 2, and never got a rude comment or look. I'm not a big fan of NIP for myself with a toddler older than 2, but Disney is a special circumstance. Between the noise and the crowds and the long hot days and the unfamiliarity, there's a good possibility that there will be much nursing for us. And given the choice between the nearest shady bench and any farther, more discreet location, we'll be on the bench.

If you'd like to meet up sometime, we've got an "outgrown dairy and wheat allergies, possible nut allergic, only eats mac and cheese" kid, a gluten-free kid and 2 gluten-free adults, and a lacto-ovo vegetarian (who isn't fussed about picking out meat, or eating things made with meat stock). So an egg-allergic vegetarian toddler would fit right in.

Phoebe :)

I nursed my older dd at WDW when she was 15, 21 and 23 months. No problems or weird looks. We nursed everywhere. My favorite place to nurse is on Pirates of the Caribbean. She was still going strong at the end of the ride and I thought that I might have to ask to go around again. We are going back to the world 9/9-19, and I will be nursing my youngest, who will also be just shy of 15 months. Hoping for the same experience! No one should dare say anything to me though-I am prepared with my comebacks!

I am not one who would nurse past a year, both my older boys self-weaned at 9 1/2 and 10 1/2 months respectively (which I didn't mind one bit), BUT I have no problem with anyone else who wants to nurse way past a year. It is about whatever works for you and your child, breast or bottle and for how long. I don't think many people would "shame you" for doing so, even us "I would never do that..." types. Go and enjoy. Who cares what someone you probably will never see again, even on the same trip, thinks? You know how to parent your child best.

I did not nurse my DD (3) that long, but I do have friends that nursed their children quite a long time. I say good for you. However, I am making a very polite request that you do not breast feed where children will notice you. I was at a public pool and my DD saw a woman breastfeeding her son. It was VERY difficult to help her understand and then for her to leave them alone. I hope no one is rude to you and you can have a great time!

mine last year was 20 months now she will be 2 and a half this trip still having mommies juice

hopesmommy said:
I did not nurse my DD (3) that long, but I do have friends that nursed their children quite a long time. I say good for you. However, I am making a very polite request that you do not breast feed where children will notice you. I was at a public pool and my DD saw a woman breastfeeding her son. It was VERY difficult to help her understand and then for her to leave them alone. I hope no one is rude to you and you can have a great time!

Why is it difficult to explain to a child that a woman is feeding her baby? I hope that my kids are exposed to as much nursing as possible so that they will have an easier time nursing their kids. My kids know that breasts are for feeding babies, as all kids should.

To the OP, I wouldn't stress about it. I had a hard time nursing my ds in the baby care centers at that age because he just wanted to play with everything. I've always found (on his seven disney trips) that he nursed a lot less at DL anyways. Just let your baby be your guide and go with the flow.

It is so wonderful to see so many extended nursers on this board! The World Health Organization would be proud! I'm currenty tandem nursing my two and a half year old ds and my eight week old dd. :flower:

I've seen it all at Disney. I think the oldest I've seen a child nurse at Disney was a little girl who was 4 years old. The mom nursed her in the baby care center. I was in another rocker nursing and was talking to her. Her daughter was 4 years old and had never been sick.

I nursed my son until he was 13 months and one day he said it was yuck, and drank out of a sippee cup ever since.

Last weekend when I was at the Baby Care center changing a diaper, a mother came out of the nursing room with a 15 month old.

I nursed DD at Animal Kingdom in March 04, she was 28 mos. at the time. We sat in a bench in the shade, even shared the bench with another man and woman. Not even sure if anyone realized what we were up to.

It was trickier to nurse her on the plane, she was pretty big, but I figured a content nursing toddler is much better than a screaming toddler on a plane!

Have fun.

hopesmommy said:

No more decorum is required for a child than an adult--it is legal everywhere in Florida. Children do not need to be treated specially.

Personally--I would not be bothered by a child inquiring or "bothering" me.

OP--My youngest is almost 3---still nursed, but only in the mornings before getting up for the day. When I go to a ladies weekend in November for a conference in Orlando--she will be cold turkey. Ask me the following Monday if I kept that up ;).

However--I have nursed her in public up to age 2-2.5 at Disney. Disney is very accomodating and I never had any problems in any visit when she needed to nurse.

The comfort level is really all about mom at that point. If you baby still nurses relatively peacefully, you should be okay. I have heard of moms who have the wildly dancing babies be a bit more uncomfortable--b/c it called more attention to them than they cared. So I can empathize with that. Just do what YOU feel is comfortable for you and your daughter and do not worry about any naysayers. Usually those who do say anything negative are the ones that scoff at breastfeeding in general--or scoff when you breastfeed past the very young ages anyway.

I think 15 months is "little" and not a "older baby" at all. ;)

I agree, a 15 month old is a little baby still! When we went when my DD was 9 months old, I don't think there was a ride she did NOT nurse on! That kid would nurse till the cows came home! This time around, she will be 2.5 and she recently finished nursing. However, if she still was I would have no issue nursing her in any location. Take care and realize that you are doing what is best for your child!

hopesmommy said:

Breasts are for feeding. Where is the problem with that? Why should your dd or any other children not be taught and understand how babies are fed? :confused3

I also don't mind children asking me what I am doing. That happens frequently at the park and other places, and I just tell them I am feeding the baby. It is natural and normal.

I think your "polite request" is rude.

Bird-Mom said:
Breasts are for feeding. Where is the problem with that? Why should your dd or any other children not be taught and understand how babies are fed? :confused3

I also don't mind children asking me what I am doing. That happens frequently at the park and other places, and I just tell them I am feeding the baby. It is natural and normal.

I think your "polite request" is rude.
I don't think its rude at all. Different strokes for different folks. Remember, some kids, like mine were never breastfed, so it might be a little more difficult to explain it to a child who was always bottle fed. And in reality, my DS has stared at woman BF'ing older children and my DS as well as myself(I guess for being the mom) have got some rude looks, which in return I gave back. So not all are accepting and it works both ways.

roliepolieoliefan said:
I don't think its rude at all. Different strokes for different folks. Remember, some kids, like mine were never breastfed, so it might be a little more difficult to explain it to a child who was always bottle fed. And in reality, my DS has stared at woman BF'ing older children and my DS as well as myself(I guess for being the mom) have got some rude looks, which in return I gave back. So not all are accepting and it works both ways.

Thank you roliepolieoliefan!

I asked politely and JUST asked that she not BF where she was obvious. As for the others that are flaming me...BACK OFF. I have a friend who BFs her DD in my house. My DD understands now what that is. But at the edge of a public pool was not the place to BF a child. I never asked for any child to be treated differently. I BF in public, just not where I was out in the open. In TX it is also legal to BF everywhere. I am not hiding anything from my child. I just don't want to make others feel uncomfortable when my daughter starts asking her questions. And by the way, as everyone knows...it takes a little bit for kids that are 3 yrs old to understand things.

I am in support of everyone who BFs their kids. I wish I could have done it longer. I am sorry for those of you who don't understand where I was coming from.

Ok, strong advicate for BREASTFEEDING IN PUBLIC!!! It's what need to be done, this NEEDS to be a NORM, it's far from it with shamless breastfeeding number what they are in America... And i think it's mainly b/c kids aren't brought up with breastfeeding as the norm, i dont' slam a mom for not breastfeeding i think it's a person choice but they should be suportive of moms that choice it b/c it is the BEST thing for a baby/child. Why should you have to find some where private to breastfeed, the laws say that a women has a right to breastfeed a child ANYWHERE the mom is aloud to be including public parks, public pool, restarants, ect, ect, ect!!! I will be breastfeeding my DD who will be 12 months when we are there anywhere i happen to be when she gets hungery be that while we are enjoying dinner, while we are on a ride, while we are in line, while we are sitting watching the parades... I don't cover her with a blanket over her head that's just dumb in the heat and humidty of FL, and she would have a fit! And i would do that same thing if she were, 15 months, 20 months or 24 months ( WHAT THE APP RECOMENDS NURSING TILL !!!! ). I might use the baby centers if it's really hot and dd needs a break from the heat but won't find one every time she needs to nurse, she doesn't really eat much talbe foods and nurses about 8-10 times a day so we'll be nursing where ever, hope no one has anything to say to me about it b/c sorry but it's what my breasts are for and come on you see more then that a the beach or pool then you see of me while i'm breastfeeding...

I just wanted to jump in and agree with those that say don't worry aobut it at all. My little guy is 27 months old and he still nurses once or twice a day. He went on Disney trips at 12 months, 18 months, and 25 months - and we nursed in public on all of them. That trip when he was 18 months he was going through a real strong nursing period, and we nursed very frequently, wherever we happened to be when he wanted to. We've nursed on monrails, rides, in shows, by the pool, in restaurants, sitting on the curb waiting for the parade - pretty much everywhere except the baby care centers, since I never found that convenient - and I've never had a bit of trouble or felt uncomfortable. And, I've never, ever been one to cover up with a blanket or anything like that. It's not like you can see anything at all anyway. Yeah, if you look closely, you can tell that he's nursing - but it's not like a peep show or anything. Anyway, I just wanted to tell the OP that it's just fine. Go and have a good time and nurse your baby where and when you want. You'll probably notice lots of other older nurslings at Disney, too. Not only is it your total legal right, it's also a totally normal and healthy thing to do. No worries! :goodvibes

Oh, and by the way, I have had a few bottle fed kids ask questions, etc. and it's never bothered me a bit. I would never get upset with a kid for being curious or whatever. I always just say, "He's just eating. He gets his milk from me." It's no big deal, and certainly nothing that needs to be hidden away from kids or anything. Someday when Paul is older he may notice some nice mom sitting on a bench giving her baby a bottle, and he may ask me what she's doing, and I'll just say that's where that baby gets his milk. No biggie. I would hope any bottlefeeding mom who's little one notices a nursing baby would do the same.

What would you say if I asked politely not to bottle feed a baby in public? My kids haven't been exposed to it, so it wouldn't it be difficult for me to explain to them? Where do you propose she should have gone to feed her baby? If it's an appropriate place for a baby to be, then it's an appropriate place for a baby to eat.

hopesmommy said:
Thank you roliepolieoliefan!

I asked politely and JUST asked that she not BF where she was obvious. As for the others that are flaming me...BACK OFF. I have a friend who BFs her DD in my house. My DD understands now what that is. But at the edge of a public pool was not the place to BF a child. I never asked for any child to be treated differently. I BF in public, just not where I was out in the open. In TX it is also legal to BF everywhere. I am not hiding anything from my child. I just don't want to make others feel uncomfortable when my daughter starts asking her questions. And by the way, as everyone knows...it takes a little bit for kids that are 3 yrs old to understand things.

I am in support of everyone who BFs their kids. I wish I could have done it longer. I am sorry for those of you who don't understand where I was coming from.

How would you feel if I asked you to give your child a bottle somewhere else because I didn't want my dd to see you bottle feed? I am pretty sure you would not like it. You ARE asking me to treat my child differently. We NIP proudly anywhere, anytime. I want people to see me b/c I want it to be accepted as it should be. It is the best nutrition for babies. The more NIP awareness that there is, the more nursing mothers that there will be.

I don't care how you feed your child, but do not ask me to nurse where you think it is appropriate. Anywhere my baby and I are; it is appropriate.

Baby is eating. That is all the explanation you need to give a child. You do not need to go into details. A 3 year old isn't going to ask for much more info than that. I know; I have one. And she nurses all her stuffed animals. ;)

Slightly off-topic, but I'm wondering if you extended nursers still use nursing bras. I hate them, and I've never used one when going out, but taking your straps off your shoulder is a pain, too. If DD is still nursing when we go to Disney, I'd like to have as "easy access" as possible. ;) Just curious...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter