Brit's Guide to DLP 2006!

SimonV

Proud to have called Bob Varley 'friend'
Hi there folks! We are about to embark on the latest Brit's Guide re-write for DLP and are keen to hear any feedback about what we should focus on/add/up-date/amend or change in any way. We will be there all next week to start with, looking primarily at the resort itself, but also taking some time to tour Paris a little (I hope). The obvious things like the new Space Mountain and the Panoramagique ride we will cover directly, and hopefully we'll turn up some other new stuff as well. However, we will be redesigning the book this time around, with 192 pages instead of 172 (and with continuous part-colour like the Orlando guide rather than the picture pages as we have now), so that means we should have space to add in some new features - if you can tell us what you'd most like to see. So, post all your ideas and thoughts here, and we'll do our best to accommodate them.

All the best,

Simon

Great news!

Would sample menus be a good idea as a lot of people come on here asking what restaurants we'd recommend.

Maybe a few (proof read and accordingly edited) trip reports so people can read opinions of people from different demographic backgrounds. This could maybe include something like 'Top 10 DLRP Attractions' which would include rides, hotels, restaurants etc.. If you had those top tens from the perspective of:

1) A family
2) A young couple
3) An older couple
4) A child
5) Thrill seaker
6) Thrill avoider (!?)
7) A solo visitor

This would then cover all angles and show people that no matter who they are there is something for them at DLRP.

Hope the book goes well Simon, I always enjoy reading Brit's Guide and was only looking yesterday on Amazon for any new DLRP books - found none!

Hi Simon :wave:

What I found really helpful in the DLP Brit's Guide (by far and away the best DLP guide IMO) were the following:

1. The excellent (and many) different transport options
2. Clear guidance on tickets
3. The photos
4. The resort descriptions
5. The odd comparisons (but not too many) of the park with WDW
6. Brit Tips
7. Touring plans
8. Coverage of Paris itself

I love some of Steve's ideas above.

One of the really good things at DLP now is the new way the FP scheme operates now.

Could there be suggestions about "where's the best place for a romantic meal", "dining for boisterous kids", "best place for dad to get a beer ;)" etc. This does tie in a bit with what Steve says already. Pros and cons of restaurants / resorts / rides?? You do sort of cover this anyway in the words but not spelt out as pros and cons. This may not be helpful for others but I like a little "summary" LOL. For example, DLH Hotel Pros - luxurious surrounds, locations, fine dining etc. Cons? None, except price!!!

Do you have an idea of when you hope the book will hit the shelves Simon? (Prays for January 2006)

Thanks!

Karen

Hi Simon, nice to speak to you :banana: I've found the book really helpful - I wish I'd had it when I made my first visit because it was only when I picked up a copy that I realised how much of the park I'd actually missed. I didn't make that mistake a 2nd time!

I have an arthritic condition which means that some of the thrill rides are to be avoided - no one wants a ricked neck to spoil their intake of Pixie Dust. :rolleyes: Can I suggest some sort of easy table showing which rides are more 'aggressive' than others. Some are obvious but the first time I went I wouldn't go on the POtC ride because I couldn't tell if it was a wild loop-de-loop ride or a gentler affair. I gave it a go last time and thoroughly enjoyed it. If I'd known there were only a couple of gentle drops and climbs I would have given it a go first time out.

All the best and I'm looking forward to the 2006 edition!

Stayed at Davy Crockett ranch in june & booked a 2 bed room unit on your recommendation, glad we did.lots more space & storage & great not having to share a bed-room with kids. Also much better as our kids are aged 13 & 14 , boy & girl, and it meant they didn't have to share a bed! Unfortunately an option if we'd had stayed on site in an hotel.

POol at ranch as great as ever.

DD 14 was desparate to see reindeers which we found eventually , not signposted! .Try miming reindeer to a french speaking CM!!!

Went back one evening to eat at Planet hollywood & parked in the new multi-storey car-park which we didn't know existed, so a mention of this in book would be good.
Car-park well lit & supervised & each bay has a number , youngest DS took a photo of number on mobile phone. & each floor is a different colour, so car very easy to find on return,.
you take a ticket on entering , take ticket with you & pay at machines before returning to car,
If you take your proof of on-site stay ticket (never can remember what it's called) to reception /office on ground level they will amend your ticket & parking is free. Again didn't know this & no signs to say but we just asked,

Used discount voucher in book at Planet Hollywood, thanks again. showed it on odering but when bill came it was without discount. Mentioned it again to Cm & she aplogised, & quickly came back with an amended bill. NO problem

looking forward to 2006 edition

Love the book Simon, bought it before I'd even booked and it definetly helped plan. And given that we're a young couple and so much of DLP related stuff is (understandably) for families it was great to find so much useful info!

I was just looking over the boards for things I wouldnt have known but are really useful/interesting that might not be in the book, but I couldn't find any you'd missed out!

Would it be useful for people to have a list the dates of the school holidays for the main DLP visiting countries? I know you mention the French holidays, and I know they change every year, but if you're deciding whether to visit in the 1st or 2nd week of Sept knowing if the park will be quieter could make a big difference. And also the UK school holidays, for visitors who don't have kids/school-age kids/kids in state schools.Maybe?

I also know that loads of us on here like all the quirkly little trivia facts about DLP, little things to look out for that celebrate the detail that is so much a part of DLP. Any use for them in the guide?

But overall, its a brilliant book and will be well-thumbed by the time Iget there I'm sure!

I think the school holiday idea is good - but I suppose the problem could be that they change all the time (adding non pupil teacher training days etc at short notice) as I found out only two weeks before the end of term at my DDs school.

So you could theoretically book something based on term dates listed in a book which might be out of date when the time rolls around. Probably better to check on the Internet which should (in theory!) be up to date. I suppose also different areas have different term dates so it could be quite confusing!

We need one of our teachers (or ex teachers) on this board to confirm this as it is just my thoughts.

i know this will not help to update your books but i would like to say a big thank-you.
Your books fro florida and paris are fantastic. all of my family read them obtaining some great tips (also i think it makes a great toilet read) (well dont all blokes read in the loo)

Miffy2003 said:
So you could theoretically book something based on term dates listed in a book which might be out of date when the time rolls around. Probably better to check on the Internet which should (in theory!) be up to date. I suppose also different areas have different term dates so it could be quite confusing!

We need one of our teachers (or ex teachers) on this board to confirm this as it is just my thoughts.

You're right; perhaps this is something best left to the net!

Although you could give non-concrete dates, say (for example) schools in Germany have always gone back the last week of August for the last 18 out of 20 years then you could assume it would probably be the case this year...and look it up nearer the time to check. But knowing roughly when holidays begin/end might indicate the general business of the parks?

missj171 said:
You're right; perhaps this is something best left to the net!

Although you could give non-concrete dates, say (for example) schools in Germany have always gone back the last week of August for the last 18 out of 20 years then you could assume it would probably be the case this year...and look it up nearer the time to check. But knowing roughly when holidays begin/end might indicate the general business of the parks?
It also occurs to me that a lot of UK schools are starting to change to 6 terms but a useful link to school holiday websites in various countries for people to check for themselves might be handy.

A link to school holiday sites would be an excellent addition to the book :)

The school holidays idea is a particularly good one. Does anyone have the necessary internet links to get term dates for the main countries?

Would it be possible when giving details of the hotels to give the telephone number for each hotel too. The SL number was given to me last week by the DLP booking team so that I could ring them direct to ask about their Christmas menu. I know that in WDW guide books the hotel numbers are listed and we have always found them very useful

Simon, I have your current edition which I have used to plan my trip to DLP next month.

What I would really like in the next edition is a touring guide for peak times. Something like what they have in the Unauthorized Guide to WDW. I'd really like to know your opinion as to the best order for touring the popular rides such as SMII, Indiana Jones, BTMRR, Haunted Mansion, etc.

Thanks,
Bunny

I like the idea of the hotel phone numbers myself. I was trying to locate the number last year so I could leave it for family and friends in the UK if they desperately needed to contact me and couldn't get me on the mobile.

I would love to read a good guide on how to buy an annual pass, the difference between them, an up to date price, and where you could go to get them?

Also maybe some info on local camps like Berny Riviere which caters for Haven, Keycamp and Eurocamp, I have booked a week there in Sept for £240.00 in nice accomadation, and as part of the deal I can have a second week for £150.00. So im going back again for Halloween week. Thats for 7 of us as well. With an annual pass that makes it very cheap for a large family.

Great books Simon! I look at your location under your name now though and when I read the word 'Florida' I go into a daydream!! - 1 day I'll be there!

Is there an American's guide to DLP? If not, how about a section in the guide for American's. It could include info. on sites & #'s for us to use, when researching & booking our trip. How about instructions on using the official website? European customs that we should be aware of, before we visit. Basic phrases in French that we should learn. That's all I can think of now, but I know there's more. BTW, I hadn't noticed that you live in Florida. We may be neighbors. :p

The only American Guide to DLP I have seen (and I've been searching) that gets any good press is The Unofficial Guide to DLP. Bu it's outdated, last published in 2003. If anyone has any other recommendations I'd be interested in knowing them.

But, even though I am from the U.S., I was thinking of getting the British guide anyway, since it is so current. This may sound like a silly question, but, other than British phone numbers to contact DLP. what is uniquely British about this guide? In other words would I as an American get almost as much out of it? Or is it so targeted to a British audience in some way that it would be a waste of my money? I'd very much appreciate any input anyone has, thanks!

Mar'

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter