Broken leg - Does it qualify for DAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasperann

DIS Veteran
Hi. My Daughter is currently on crutches and she may have a hairline fracture. Our trip is in 9 more sleeps. I am hoping that she does not have a broken leg and that she no longer needs the crutches when we go. But I am planning on her still needing them, just in case. Since I have never looked into any of this, I am not sure if a broken leg would qualify for DAS? We do not mind waiting in lines, but I know places like Toy Story it would be impossible to get a scooter up those stairs... lol And I do not see her hoping through the que.

Thank you for any help!!

Hi. My Daughter is currently on crutches and she may have a hairline fracture. Our trip is in 9 more sleeps. I am hoping that she does not have a broken leg and that she no longer needs the crutches when we go. But I am planning on her still needing them, just in case. Since I have never looked into any of this, I am not sure if a broken leg would qualify for DAS? We do not mind waiting in lines, but I know places like Toy Story it would be impossible to get a scooter up those stairs... lol And I do not see her hoping through the que.

Thank you for any help!!
No one can say for sure but more than likely you will be told to rent a scooter or wheelchair. As for Toy Story, there is a turn off for scooters, wheelchairs and people who can't do stairs. you don't have to do the stairs. Most of the rides have an alternative for people with mobility issues.

No, she would be considered a mobility guest.. which means she will be treated as if she is in a wheelchair.. when you get to the ride.. if the line is long and she cant stand .. get a F/P or go to the CM and ask for a return time.. if more than one person is going on the ride with her. they need to present their tickets too.. you all do not need to be there, just the tickets.. and they will all be connected to her return time..
if she decides not to ride, then the others on her R/T will have to go through the standby line..

there will be some rides (TSM) that she will have to use the disabled entry, due to stairs. in those cases she will be able to go into that loading area and then have to wait for the rest of the party to go through the regular line.. once they get to the loading area, tell the cast member you have a member of your party waiting for you in the disabled loading area and they will let you through .

doing Disney with a broken or newly healed leg will be a lot for her.. so maybe look into getting her a wheelchair.. you can rent them from Disney or get one off site.. if you get off site, you can take it out of the park .. if from Disney it has to stay in the park. so she may struggle to get back to the hotel..

Hope you all have a great trip .

There are no 'conditions' that qualify for a DAS - it is for guests whose disability (which could be permanent or temporary) prevents them from waiting in traditional lines. So, guests need to explain why they can't wait in the regular lines.
There is more information in a WDW DAS thread that is pasted near the top of this board.

Guests with mobility related disabilities don't need DAS unless they have needs in addition to mobility needs that are not met by using a mobility device in line.
Attractions like Toy Story Mania, Dinosaur or Splash Mountain, which have stairs in part of the line, have a wheelchair/ECV accessible bypass that skips the portion of the line where the stairs are.
All attractions are wheelchair accessible to the point of boarding and guests don't need DAS or anything else to use a wheelchair in line. The CMs can see the mobility device and will direct the guest to where they need to go. In many cases, that will just be the same one as other guests are using.
Some lines are not ECV accessible, but those attractions have wheelchairs that can be loaned out for use in the one.

I don't know how old your daughter is, but if she is not over 18, she will not be able to rent an ECV from WDW parks or most of the off-site rental companies.

There are no 'conditions' that qualify for a DAS - it is for guests whose disability (which could be permanent or temporary) prevents them from waiting in traditional lines. So, guests need to explain why they can't wait in the regular lines.
There is more information in a WDW DAS thread that is pasted near the top of this board.

Guests with mobility related disabilities don't need DAS unless they have needs in addition to mobility needs that are not met by using a mobility device in line.
Attractions like Toy Story Mania, Dinosaur or Splash Mountain, which have stairs in part of the line, have a wheelchair/ECV accessible bypass that skips the portion of the line where the stairs are.
All attractions are wheelchair accessible to the point of boarding and guests don't need DAS or anything else to use a wheelchair in line. The CMs can see the mobility device and will direct the guest to where they need to go. In many cases, that will just be the same one as other guests are using.
Some lines are not ECV accessible, but those attractions have wheelchairs that can be loaned out for use in the one.

I don't know how old your daughter is, but if she is not over 18, she will not be able to rent an ECV from WDW parks or most of the off-site rental companies.

Thank you! She is 19.

No, she would be considered a mobility guest.. which means she will be treated as if she is in a wheelchair.. when you get to the ride.. if the line is long and she cant stand .. get a F/P or go to the CM and ask for a return time.. if more than one person is going on the ride with her. they need to present their tickets too.. you all do not need to be there, just the tickets.. and they will all be connected to her return time..
if she decides not to ride, then the others on her R/T will have to go through the standby line..

there will be some rides (TSM) that she will have to use the disabled entry, due to stairs. in those cases she will be able to go into that loading area and then have to wait for the rest of the party to go through the regular line.. once they get to the loading area, tell the cast member you have a member of your party waiting for you in the disabled loading area and they will let you through .

doing Disney with a broken or newly healed leg will be a lot for her.. so maybe look into getting her a wheelchair.. you can rent them from Disney or get one off site.. if you get off site, you can take it out of the park .. if from Disney it has to stay in the park. so she may struggle to get back to the hotel..

Hope you all have a great trip .
are you talking about Disneyland?
Because this is not how it works at WDW

just to add most lines you can get a wheel chair ECV through all or most of the line there are a few ( I think 3 in all of disney that you can not) they are Big thunder Jungle curse at MK and space ship earth at EPCOT for these you will need to see a CM and ask for a return time they will give you a pice of paper with a time to come back. but I would not worry about stoping at Guset Relation since it is just a mobility problem and most things at disney are assessable you may want to pick up a disabled map so you can get a better idea of what attraction you need to transfer on and what ones you do not but the CM can also let you know

Don't even try it without a wheelchair. My son broke his toe bone up in his foot about a month before we went to DCA last time. He had been out of the boot for a week at the time and was at 50% for elite level sports (so perfectly fine by normal people standards). After a half day in the park he lasted an hour before we had to rent a wheelchair. And you have to exit the park to rent the horrible to push chair and wait in line to get back in. If you are staying on site have your hotel rent you one. That is cheaper and easier to push. If not check on the dl forum and someone can tell you where to rent that will drop it at your hotel. I seriously doubt anyone can go from crutches to walking Disney in 9 days based on the trouble my elite athlete had.

Thank you so much everyone!! I am so glad Disney is so accommodating for people that have issues walking. Makes me feel like she will still be able to enjoy our time there. :D We are looking into renting a scooter, since she is 19.

How do you get into Space Mountain though? And can you still play the games? LOL It's the little things. I just kind of remember stairs for some reason but I'm not sure if I'm just remembering wrong.

Thank you so much everyone!! I am so glad Disney is so accommodating for people that have issues walking. Makes me feel like she will still be able to enjoy our time there. :D We are looking into renting a scooter, since she is 19.

How do you get into Space Mountain though? And can you still play the games? LOL It's the little things. I just kind of remember stairs for some reason but I'm not sure if I'm just remembering wrong.

Space Mountain is a pain in the butt!!! The one ride my daughter refuses to do if she is in her wheelchair. Going in you go through the FP+ line and skip everything but going out you exit with the rest of the guests going up those long moving walkways. Since it's uphill we just lock the wheels on the wheelchair. Last trip we had kids with their parents trying to climb over us and no I am not joking. I turned and told them all they were disgusting human beings. I have never in my life seen such horrible behavior. I was appalled and my daughter said never again. :(

you will need to go to the CM at the FP and ask for a return time they will give you a pice of paper ( about the size of a business card) with the current time the wait time and your return time ( witch is wait time - 10 minutes) you will then go through the FP line since the regular one has stairs so no games this time unless your DD can wait that long in the stand by line. you will also have to transfer in to a wheel chair ( they have them there for you to use while in space mountain

On Space, if she could get out of the chair for the stairs, could you bump it up backwards and then continue, or is it a long flight of stairs? I used to help a young man in a wheelchair who could do a few steps on crutches, and so 3-4 stairs at a time would be doable if the person really wanted to experience that section. Otherwise, just FP+ it anyways?

On Space, if she could get out of the chair for the stairs, could you bump it up backwards and then continue, or is it a long flight of stairs? I used to help a young man in a wheelchair who could do a few steps on crutches, and so 3-4 stairs at a time would be doable if the person really wanted to experience that section. Otherwise, just FP+ it anyways?
no line is too narrow for a wheel chair and they will not let her only the one side ( the one with the FP ) has an elevator so if the ride broke down that is the only way to get her down

Last summer I had my 81 year old mother with a bad knee and a heart condition. She was denied DAS and told to use a wheelchair. Even with the heat causing issues for her heart. No go

Last summer I had my 81 year old mother with a bad knee and a heart condition. She was denied DAS and told to use a wheelchair. Even with the heat causing issues for her heart. No go
you are in the heat more waiting for your return time then you are waiting in line so if she had a DAS card you would be putting her in more risk for heat problems

the bad knee - wheelchair or ECV is the standard solution, or maybe a walker?

heart condition - very vague, how does it limit her?

The only thing the DAS does is save you one queue wait at a time, while you are staying in a more comfortable (if possible) location. But there's all that walking to the attractions, from the bus, through the gates, etc, that will also affect someone with a bad knee and a heart condition. You've got to condier that as well, and is one of the reasons WDW suggests a mobility device.

you are in the heat more waiting for your return time then you are waiting in line so if she had a DAS card you would be putting her in more risk for heat problems

the bad knee - wheelchair or ECV is the standard solution, or maybe a walker?

heart condition - very vague, how does it limit her?

The only thing the DAS does is save you one queue wait at a time, while you are staying in a more comfortable (if possible) location. But there's all that walking to the attractions, from the bus, through the gates, etc, that will also affect someone with a bad knee and a heart condition. You've got to condier that as well, and is one of the reasons WDW suggests a mobility device.

We did rent a wheelchair and that helped. She could never have walked around, stood in the long lines or tolerated the heat without it. She had a sore knee after having a medial meniscus tear awhile back. She has atrial fibrillation and venous insufficiency so she's on blood thinners and medications for the A-Fib. The heat makes her dizzy and she gets terrible red, swollen lower legs from the venous insufficiency. She's 81....lots of health issues.
She managed well after getting the wheelchair and sat some things out to sit in air conditioned area to wait. She had a great time! Her and my father (who's also 81) went around the parks wearing t-shirts with Cinderella's castle and the saying "Never Too Old" on them. It was adorable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter