Budget cuts at Walt Disney World

I don't disagree I just don't think it's only sports. I feel like all television is decreasing more people are just watching Netflix or Hulu and get their news on Twitter.

I don't disagree...the
Model is broken though and can't be restored.

actually espn ratings are very strong it's just that it's linked to cable and satelite
tv. also that 7 dollars isnt for just one chanel, it's for the whole espn package. that includes espn, espn2, espn3. espnnews and a few other chanells I can't remember. and sometimes it's even linked to disney channel packages too depending on when contracts are up. TNT is just one channel. Time warner doesn't bundle their product.

As I was saying - the model is broken. ESPN charged that - plus collected sponsorship and advertising free money - because that's how cable was built to run...

Declining customers means all of those things will fall...and new direct outlets over wireless devices divide up the pie and will drive the cable model competely off the map In fairly short order.

So epsn has to go direct subscription...which isn't going Togo well?

You know why? It hasn't been done yet.
As with most stations - as only HBO and showtime have dared because they risk nothing by doing it. No advertisers.

I didn't cord cut, but I did drop my package to basic cable...and when you do that, you get about 90 channels, but no ESPN...that bundle saved me $30 over the old one with same internet and phone...you don't need to cord cut to have the ESPN side get killed...

But it has...ratings for sports have not increase with population growth - or to be more accurate: cable subscriptions slowed, plateaued, and will now fall.

That's less people watching sports...which throws the advertising/revenue model out of whack for ESPN.

Epsn is screwed...ill be surprised if it lasts for 10 years
I changed my Direct TV plan to one that does not include ESPN about 18 months ago. Never watched it so why pay for it.

sports isnt going anywhere and sports channels aren't going anywhere. this time of year it's easy to cut the chord but in the fall and winter that's when espn makes the bulk of it's money. oh and most channels these days have advertising as well as content unless you have pay channels like hbo. I don't lknow any channel that doesn't advertise as well as get subscription fees

sports isnt going anywhere and sports channels aren't going anywhere. this time of year it's easy to cut the chord but in the fall and winter that's when espn makes the bulk of it's money. oh and most channels these days have advertising as well as content unless you have pay channels like hbo. I don't lknow any channel that doesn't advertise as well as get subscription fees

You honesty are in a different section of the galaxy from me...

I'm not saying that sports are going away (actually...one is gonna fall off the cliff...and it's a BIG one)...I'm saying that the delivery method is going to change. It already is and that's gonna pick up steam.

And secondly, sure there are commercials...but who watches them? I haven't for 10 years and know of practically no one who does. You don't have too. It's a dvr/on demand world and your can watch without the commercials in most circumstances or delay for 10-15 minutes and eliminate that.

Only the sports need the commercial as of now really...and the direct packages (which are going to dominate each day) don't have them and have direct subscription charges. Only regional sports networks remain and are left to be figured out.

Last edited:
You honesty are in a different section of the galaxy from me...

I'm not saying that sports are going away (actually...one is gonna fall off the cliff...and it's a BIG one)...I'm saying that the delivery method is going to change. It already is and that's gonna pick up steam.

And secondly, sure there are commercials...but who watches them? I haven't for 10 years and know of practically no one who does. You don't have too. It's a dvr/on demand world and your can watch without the commercials in most circumstances or delay for 10-15 minutes and eliminate that.

Only the sports need the commercial as of now really...and the direct packages (which are going to dominate each day) don't have them and have direct subscription charges. Only regional sports networks remain and are left to be figured out.

I just renewed by Directv contract for another 2 years, I'd like to cut the cord, but we're just not there yet for my family. Although more and more things are now offered on a streaming service, the majority of the time you still have to pay for them, and in most cases you have to have a cable or satellite subscription to watch them.

Almost all sports I watch are now available via streaming, I can now watch my horrible braves on the Fox Sports Go app (with a corresponding Directv contract), and my kids can watch Disney Jr on my phone, tablet, or our fire tv.

We're headed to an a la carte model very soon. Right now there are no stand alone options that I know for the sports channels or Disney Jr. Give me those options, and a price for all of the combined services that are comparable to what I'm paying per month to Directv now, then I'd be done with Directv.

They have some work to do, give me a standalone option at a fair price and I'll pay it.

I think my family is a unique situation. We have both Directv and Time Warner Cable. Sports is the main thing we watch. We have the NFL ticket as well. My mom wants to get rid of the ticket and my dad doesn't. I use streaming apps but my parents don't. My parents also don't think about getting rid of cable or satellite. We also just got Netflix but only me and my sisters use it.

I think my family is a unique situation. We have both Directv and Time Warner Cable. Sports is the main thing we watch. We have the NFL ticket as well. My mom wants to get rid of the ticket and my dad doesn't. I use streaming apps but my parents don't. My parents also don't think about getting rid of cable or satellite. We also just got Netflix but only me and my sisters use it.

I think you're in the transitional phase that many if not most are...

Older don't want to deal with the tech...younger won't channel surf. The scales are gonna continue to tip your way.

It's actually that...the o ther...and more

To add:
The overall percentage that follows professional sports is declining. Especially with kids - limited time and over scheduling.

Many sports can be bought directly for on demand programming...all
Will be soon.

ESPN is just not very good/interesting as they were in the earlier years. They're like the weather channel - all the programming is designed to be as low cost as possible - and so they've collectively overstuffed and then jumped the shark.

And honestly their tent poles - the NBA and college football - are not increasing in popularity on a national scale.

I keep trying to care about the Warriors - I really do - just can't. I'm not alone.

For the most part I'm with you. The one sport not following this trend in the US is soccer (at least that is what I saw a year or two ago, assuming that is still correct). And it actually goes hand in hand with what you are saying. Soccer is the one sport where you know exactly how much time it is going to take to watch a game. You have 45 minute halves (with a minute or two injury time). That time is constantly running (no stopping for downs/whistles/etc.). I'm not a soccer guy, but I've seen the trends you are talking about and how people aren't watching other sports (for that same reason of not having the time to commit to watching a full game). And I AM a chord cutter who just bought the Center Ice package as opposed to having a huge cable bill (don't care a bit for ESPN, and I cut my ties to the NFL).

I wish my DW would let me cut the cord, she is hanging on for all she is worth!

The other problem for ESPN is that when their revenue was peaking they went out and spent tons of money on coverage deals - Monday Night Football, every NCAA conference out there, etc. Their first major mistake was what they paid for Monday Night Football. At the point they bid it was clear that the Monday night game was no longer the NFL marquee game of the week - that torch had been passed to the Sunday night game. As part of the NFL deal ESPN lost the rights to extended highlights to NBC, so they had to re-tool NFL Primetime, for example, which was a fairly key piece of their NFL coverage.

There are also seemingly 54 different ESPN channels now. It used to be that they were somewhat differentiated, especially when "the deuce" first launched...but now they're all just copies of one another I guess because ESPN needs somewhere to air all this NCAA and other content they have paid so much for the rights to.

ESPN is def an example of a brand that spread itself out too thin and when the market changed it was ill prepared

I wish my DW would let me cut the cord, she is hanging on for all she is worth!

Low end triple plays (from Verizon, Cox, etc) now get you halfway...it's how I'm setting myself up to do it. I couldn't give up Walking Dead, Food Network, and NFL Football Sunday, so I found out the lowest cable package had these and went for it. I'm the only tv watcher (everyone else does Youtube, Amazon, and Netflix) and I admit, it hurts a little to have no ESPN to surf on, but the extra $60/month in my pocket (b/c my old plan went up $30, prompting me to seek a change and when I changed, I was actually $30 cheaper than I was paying last year for +$60, although I'll lose $30 of that savings after 2 years) makes me feel a lot better...

When we cut the cord last year, my only reservation was losing ESPN and live sports. I survived, and enjoy the extra $90/month. I would pay for the standalone, just to see my 'Noles play. Until that time, that $90 speaks louder every month than a missed game or two.

It's The Walking Dead and a few shows on Showtime she doesn't wanna miss

It's not that sports are going away it's that the old model forced a lot of people who didn't care about sports to pay for ESPN channels. Now an increasing number don't have to and the model needs to change to accommodate that.

Cord cutting isn't a seasonal thing. It's a niche currently, but one that has been growing consistently. And with more and more services offering streaming options that growth will only accelerate.

Foe thoose who want to cut the cord but don't wat to miss the walking dead check Sling. They have everything we needed for 20/month

In my house I rely on Netflix, Hulu, my own personal library, and complementary ESPN, ABC,and Disney XD through my cooperate log in. For local channels i use and OTA antenna I picked up on the cheap. No complaints here because me nor my brother in the house really do t watch any tv. My grandparents in there motor home however use an OTA antenna for locals and directv for their other channels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter