Budget cuts at Walt Disney World

That's actually quite funny you say that. I was at Khol's the other day (they're another place with $ problems but still) and all of their couture Star Wars women's clothes were on the clearance racks and my guess is that was the case on juniors, boys, mens, girls too. Just 1 1/2 months ago that stuff was full price or with a smallish sale attached to it. I wasn't expecting it to be clearanced especially with the DVD/Blu-Ray releasing really soon which would likely peak people's interest again.

It isn't accurate to assume that, because certain merchandise is on sale racks in one place, that it is on clearance everywhere. It also should be taken into consideration the massive (massive) amount of merchandise that has been licensed, and will keep being licensed; Disney as a corporation may be called many things, but "cautious" is not one of them.

Disney messed up somewhat with TFA, as they were banking on BB8, Kylo Ren and the shiny stormtrooper being the hottest items, and were caught somewhat flatfooted by the high demand for Rey merchandise. BB8 sold well, Kylo Ren did not. That said, I can say from experience, trying to find particular SW merchandise 8 days out from Christmas was pretty much not an option. There's always some merchandise left because manufacturers can use the threat of withholding big sellers to force stores to accept slower sellers also.

And the Spheero BB-8 was nowhere to be found when it first came out. Sure, after the manufacturer saw the reaction, they were able to step up production and get the units back in the stores, but at one point, the adorable little droid was seeing massive markup in the resale market.

Disney messed up somewhat with TFA, as they were banking on BB8, Kylo Ren and the shiny stormtrooper being the hottest items, and were caught somewhat flatfooted by the high demand for Rey merchandise. BB8 sold well, Kylo Ren did not. That said, I can say from experience, trying to find particular SW merchandise 8 days out from Christmas was pretty much not an option. There's always some merchandise left because manufacturers can use the threat of withholding big sellers to force stores to accept slower sellers also.

Also: Kylo Ren? KYLO REN...?! I'd sooner wear a "Matt the Death Star Technician" shirt than something endorsing that emo tantrum-thrower. And the Phasma stuff felt like an afterthought. The assumption that no one would be interested in anything with a girl on it -- never mind the star of the entire movie -- is kind of breathtaking in its tone deafness.

I don't know much about the sales of the Force Awakens merchandise but based on your comment I find it interesting that in today's world they didn't expect a lead female character to resonate enough with people to produce enough of a high volume of merchandise for that character. It's a gamble either way for sure but still.

Agreed. As I posted elsewhere, the tone deafness of this corporate assumption is kind of jaw dropping. There's institutional sexism, and then there's cutting off your own nose to spite your face.

Much to my surprise, I did get a phone call from a Cast Member, he understood where I was coming from, but did tell me that until they see a reduction in the number of guests, Disney is going to continue raising prices. I was surprised that was the response I got.

I'm glad that you got this into the record, CND. I also appreciate (I guess?) that the cast member respected a guest enough to speak the truth, although I'm sure there'll be repercussions.

Last edited:
Uggh, if true that sounds like a major downgrade for the coaster. I'm not a coaster person but that was the central attraction of the whole land...

We watched some videos of the various attractions at that park and were, for the most part, underwhelmed.

See I don't necessarily think the percentage that follows sports is declining.... I will agree that the on demand sports is the future and I'm not opposed to that. Most sports watching apps still require a television provider though. Watch ESPN, Big Ten to go, the March Madness app, etc. all require a TV provider.

Didn't Twitter just sign a deal with the NFL to allow Thursday Night Football streaming? That's kind of huge.

For local channels i use and OTA antenna I picked up on the cheap. No complaints here because me nor my brother in the house really do t watch any tv. My grandparents in there motor home however use an OTA antenna for locals and directv for their other channels.

And now they even have OTA DVRs...! TiVO, Simple, et cetera.

It isn't accurate to assume that, because certain merchandise is on sale racks in one place, that it is on clearance everywhere. It also should be taken into consideration the massive (massive) amount of merchandise that has been licensed, and will keep being licensed; Disney as a corporation may be called many things, but "cautious" is not one of them.
True true and I wasn't insuinuating anything I was just agreeing with a person's comment about seeing Star War merchandise on clearance and thinking it was interesting as it was so close to the release of the movie on dvd and blu-ray.

But I just went to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum yesterday in D.C. and just about all of their Star wars merchandise (a variety of stuff too) was on clearance in the store. Only things that weren't were like kids outfits that looked like space outfits (cuz it was at the air and space museum).

Also went to Wal Mart near my house last week...yup all star wars apparel was on clearance..now figurines are a different category of merchandise and I seldom see that on clearance no matter what theme it is.

There are many many places that sell star wars merchandise so they don't have the same procedures on when items go on clearance or if they ever go on clearance but still.

True true and I wasn't insuinuating anything I was just agreeing with a person's comment about seeing Star War merchandise on clearance and thinking it was interesting as it was so close to the release of the movie on dvd and blu-ray.

But I just went to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum yesterday in D.C. and just about all of their Star wars merchandise (a variety of stuff too) was on clearance in the store. Only things that weren't were like kids outfits that looked like space outfits (cuz it was at the air and space museum).

Also went to Wal Mart near my house last week...yup all star wars apparel was on clearance..now figurines are a different category of merchandise and I seldom see that on clearance no matter what theme it is.

There are many many places that sell star wars merchandise so they don't have the same procedures on when items go on clearance or if they ever go on clearance but still.

Well, keep in mind that for retail there is a window and it usually doesn't line up with when people actually want stuff. Just like you can never find air conditioners in the summer or heaters in the winter, this sort of merchandise has a window and it has to be got rid of in that window to create space for the next "big thing."

Well, keep in mind that for retail there is a window and it usually doesn't line up with when people actually want stuff. Just like you can never find air conditioners in the summer or heaters in the winter, this sort of merchandise has a window and it has to be got rid of in that window to create space for the next "big thing."
Agreed and is something to keep in mind for sure :)

I actually had a young guy one time who rang me up laugh and tell me "isn't it a bit late to be buying a fleece jacket"..it was may/june..I told him "nope perfect time to buy it"-full price was $50 and I got it on clearance for $8. Also when I worked in retail full on winter coats started appearing in August.

I know...right? Just posted that in the news thread...

It's a "choice" finger in the air for all Disney fans/consumers...particularly parks.

They're saying "you've had it easy..."

Really? I could have bought a small, uninhabited island for the amount I've spent with them over the last 15 years...it doesn't feel like "underpayments"

They're desperate to have internal bailouts from terrible longterm decisions and get above a $125 stock price that they were never realistically worth in the first place.

This is becoming Mad Eisner, Part II - "save Disney" without a champion...they just have shuffled the shells...

It's a "choice" finger in the air for all Disney fans/consumers...particularly parks.

They're saying "you've had it easy..."

Really? I could have bought a small, uninhabited island for the amount I've spent with them over the last 15 years...it doesn't feel like "underpayments"

They're desperate to have internal bailouts from terrible longterm decisions and get above a $125 stock price that they were never realistically worth in the first place.

This is becoming Mad Eisner, Part II - "save Disney" without a champion...they just have shuffled the shells...

Well...we fly down to the World on Wednesday. Last chance at using our expiring APs. I'll be interested to see how things are with all the recent cuts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter