Budget homemade gift people go WOW over?

If you look back to post #25 in this thread, CherylA posted some links that will take you to pictures of some. :)

Thanks for pointing out the post...no idea why I missed it :confused3

Although they wouldn't go with my home decor, I can understand the appeal of them if someone has an extensive wine collection or a wine/bar themed room...I don't find them ugly. I would just never toss away a gift that someone had made for me, it would make me feel terrible.

I have received quite a few scarves that a family member crochets for me, I wear them when I visit...even if they aren't my taste in color, at least it brings her pleasure when she sees me with it.

I too crochet...and now I'm thinking that people don't really like the throw blankets that I make them...maybe they throw those out...all those hours wasted :eek:

The best homemade gift I ever gave was a "Memory Jar". I cleaned out large glass jelly jars, attached some fabric and trim to the lid,and wrote mom, dad, or name of person on lid in glitter. Then I wrote all my favorite memories of/with that person on separate slips of paper, folded them up and put them in the jar. My 6'4" father sat quietly reading. When someone asked why he wasn't sharing he said he thought he would cry if he read them out loud. He kept that jar on his dresser until he died and my mom keeps it their still.

Love it!!!! Might do this for my 84 year old mother for Christmas

Are you serious?? You call lights in a bottle a homemade "wow" gift. I would be wowed if you left the wine in it. Lets see, you drink the wine and say "hey, I"ll throw a string of lights in it....this homemade gift took all of 10 seconds...Im touched !!! :rotfl: baked cookies, putting pic in an album.... an ornament even a homemade card lol

I buy clear glass ornaments and my kids paint Mickey heads on they (3 little circles). Sometimes they stuff colored tissue paper, ribbon or glitter inside. Tie a bow (we really like the read polka dot ribbon to do a Minnie theme). They are very easy and turn out so cute and always a hit!

Are you serious?? You call lights in a bottle a homemade "wow" gift. I would be wowed if you left the wine in it. Lets see, you drink the wine and say "hey, I"ll throw a string of lights in it....this homemade gift took all of 10 seconds...Im touched !!! :rotfl: baked cookies, putting pic in an album.... an ornament even a homemade card lol

Looks like you won't be getting one of my pretty wine bottles with lights then :snooty:

The thing about many of these homemade gifts is that homemade doesn't necessarily mean thoughtful. When you are "mass-producing" gifts like wine bottles with a cord out of the top (not even hidden through the back) to be budget minded, you are not necessarily giving the recipient any thought. You are giving them something YOU think is elegant and you've made with the intent of being as cheap as possible without thinking if it will match the decor, is it something that they desire, is it something that matches their personality. At that point, it is no different than buying a whole bunch of Target gift cards to distribute.

And for those of you that are up in arms that your homemade gift wouldn't be lovingly displayed and gazed upon, you act as if those of use who don't like them throw them back in the giver's face saying "G-d, this is fugly!" No. We can accept them quite graciously. And then we put them away or get rid of them quietly. I find it hard to believe that each and every one of you have liked and kept every single gift you have ever received.

What ever happened to "it's the thought that counts". Some people can be so ungrateful and greedy. If I had my choice I would cancel Christmas all together. I hate shopping for gifts for people who expect too much or already have everything. It's much too stressful in my opinion. The whole gift giving tradition is way over the top these days. I would much rather just buy for my kids and nobody else. Even some kids don't appreciate things. You buy them one gift and they say "thats all?' Unbelievable! I also find Christmas a competition in some families. I spent more than you, give me a BREAK!!!!!!! :sad2:

I'm sure the OP's intent for this thread was to get responses to this question:

What budget gift have you made for friends and family that made them say WOW?

I've been around the Dis a long time, so not much surprises me anymore, but IMO some of the responses on this thread are downright mean and ugly. :sad2:

If you don't like one of the ideas posted, don't use it, but is it really necessary to rip it to shreds? :confused3

I've been around the Dis a long time, so not much surprises me anymore, but IMO some of the responses on this thread are downright mean and ugly. :sad2:

If you don't like one of the ideas posted, don't use it, but is it really necessary to rip it to shreds? :confused3

Thank you...........well said!:thumbsup2 People tend to be real brave when they are anonymous.

:thumbsup2

The point is not to make the OP feel bad, but the fact of the matter is so many people (OP included) spend lots of time and energy creating a dust collector/fire hazard that the receiver probably doesn't need or want.

If you are really about the thought and don't have the money to spend on a gift rather than spend the time making a trinket try writing a thoughtful note stating how much the person means to you. I know that wanting to give a gift seems like a nice idea but giving a used wine bottle stuffed with a $1 string of Christmas lights is actually pretty thoughtless unless you KNOW that this gift would fit into their decor.

I have a relative who buys a whole mass of "female" and "male" gifts for Christmas. The gift is 9 times out of 10 not within my taste. Of course I gush appropriately and send a hand written thank you. I personally find it offensive that I am given a "one size fits all" present.

This year I sent a message to the majority of my friends and family and asked that they please not buy me gifts. I now get out of having to rush around buying thoughtful gifts and they get out of buying me these generic gifts that I neither want nor need.

The point is not to make the OP feel bad, but the fact of the matter is so many people (OP included) spend lots of time and energy creating a dust collector/fire hazard that the receiver probably doesn't need or want.

If you are really about the thought and don't have the money to spend on a gift rather than spend the time making a trinket try writing a thoughtful note stating how much the person means to you. I know that wanting to give a gift seems like a nice idea but giving a used wine bottle stuffed with a $1 string of Christmas lights is actually pretty thoughtless unless you KNOW that this gift would fit into their decor.

I have a relative who buys a whole mass of "female" and "male" gifts for Christmas. The gift is 9 times out of 10 not within my taste. Of course I gush appropriately and send a hand written thank you. I personally find it offensive that I am given a "one size fits all" present.

This year I sent a message to the majority of my friends and family and asked that they please not buy me gifts. I now get out of having to rush around buying thoughtful gifts and they get out of buying me these generic gifts that I neither want nor need.

I'm totally with you.......I would much rather not exchange gifts at all!!!!!

This year I am giving my DBIL and new DSIL a calendar a made on snapfish with pictures they have posted on FB. They are going to be SO surprised! Even better I got it when the calendars were 50% off!!!

Also, we are on a tight budget this year so I am giving homemade goodies. Fudge, chocolate covered pretzels drizzled with caramel and white chocolate "bark" (melted white chocolate chips mixed with crushed oreos and spread on a waxed paper lined cookie sheet, placed in the fridge and then broken up!).

I buy clear glass ornaments and my kids paint Mickey heads on they (3 little circles). Sometimes they stuff colored tissue paper, ribbon or glitter inside. Tie a bow (we really like the read polka dot ribbon to do a Minnie theme). They are very easy and turn out so cute and always a hit!

Thank you for breaking my mental block on how we are going to decorate clear ornaments at my DD's holiday party! I was worried about having the paint inside and it drying in time but filling them with sparkly stuff and letting the kids paint their name on them will be perfect! :goodvibes

I have friends that have these wine bottles with lights in them. They look so nice. They put off a soft glow and it looks so festive. I'd love to have a gift like that!

I have also seen glass cubes (you can get them in small, medium, or large at Home Depot) that are used to build a wall, that have the lights in them. They are beautiful. I've seen them with bows and plain. I like them both ways. Very nice.

Whenever we have been to a gathering at my friend's house people always comment on how lovely these items look and want to have my friend make some for them. They practically beg for them! Just goes to show you how different people's tastes are.

I'm not that crafty. If I was, I'd make some for myself! :)

I do plan to give mostly pictures this year to family and friends. I have a few ideas of how I'll assemble them (books, frames). It's fun to surprise people with snapshots they have never seen before.

I love to get homemade gifts. To the OP - I have seen those at craft shows and loved them. To those who feel they must be brutally honest here - Merry Christmas !!

banana split in a jar. I don't put chocolate in mine...I think it would look really muddy and unappealling. I also cut the sugar down to 3 cups...it was plenty sweet enough. We'll put a jar of chocolate sauce in the baskets along with a jar of maraschino cherries (I don't put them in the jar, either). I thought it sounded absolutely disgusting but made it anyway and man, oh, man! Is it good??....YUMMMMM

http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/banana-split-in-a-jar/

hmmmmm...i think i'll make a couple fire hazards outta of some gorgeous wintery grey goose bottles i have in there with the white lights.

For our 13 teacher gifts this year, dd and I are sewing steno pad covers, coffee cozies, and pocket tissue holders in matching sets. She is 6 and got her first sewing machine last christmas. It is not super fancy, but I'm sure the teachers will appreciate the effort and thought that went into it. We tried to think of things they actually use. The coffee cozies will be around a disposable coffee cup (like a Starbucks one) with a packet of hot chocolate inside. :)

Thank you for breaking my mental block on how we are going to decorate clear ornaments at my DD's holiday party! I was worried about having the paint inside and it drying in time but filling them with sparkly stuff and letting the kids paint their name on them will be perfect! :goodvibes

A friend gave a set to me like this. She just stuffed the insides with that silver foil tinsel stuff. Some was red too.

Maggie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter