Buffet restaurant question

sarahtar

Mouseketeer
I was actually searching this forum to find out if we would be charged the full price for our 100% tube fed child at a buffet (answer: probably, which is more than fine) and happened across an older thread where someone mentioned that for kids with food allergies, at a buffet, you can request that they make something specifically for your child that's safe for them and that has NOT been on the buffet line.

a) is this true? (because, awesome)
b) do you think they'd do it in our situation?

Our situation: DS is 100% tube fed for nutrition but he is learning to eat by mouth. He just doesn't eat for nutrition at this point. We encourage oral eating, but he really only eats a very few foods, and mostly chews and spits them. HOWEVER, participation in meal time is important to him and important to us for him. In addition, because he's an organ transplant recipient, he's not allowed to eat from buffets, at all, ever. DH really really wants to go to Biergarten, and I was thinking I'd just bring some food for DS and possibly put up with tantrums (he's a toddler, we think he'll be not quite 3 when we go, but it's possible we won't go until after he's 3) when we do not let him try any of our food. (And it's also entirely possible that he won't want any of our food and it'll be a total non-issue, his oral eating is difficult to predict.) BUT several of the foods they have on the buffet are ones he at least usually likes to chew. If he was having a good day, and if we'd paid for his meal (and ONLY if we'd paid for his meal), it would be lovely if we could request a made-just-for-him, not-being-sneezed-on-by-other-people bowl of something just for him.

It had not even occurred to me that was a possibility, but would be awesome (if it seemed like the thing to do at the time, lol).

Maybe you can call the restaurant and ask. If they can do something because of allergies maybe they can help you in your case. It is an extreme circumstance, I would try. Maybe even just bringing something out straight from the kitchen before it has been put out with the buffet food.

If he's younger than 3, you shouldn't have to pay for him at buffets. If you go after he turns 3, you should expect to be charged child price. It's possible they might wave the charge if he doesn't eat, but that seems to be hit-or-miss (most reports are unsuccessful).

As for preparing an item from the buffet for him -- it doesn't hurt to ask. If it doesn't actually need special preparation, maybe they could just bring it out from the kitchen to avoid dishing it up from the buffet. I don't know if they'd do that or not but worth asking.

Enjoy your vacation!

If it isn't related to an allergy, I doubt they would do this.

If you have a medical need, we have found most places to be very accommodating. My son has an immuno issue and is not allowed to eat at buffet's. We have eaten at many at WDW ( in park and resort) and each time we let the server know we have a medical need to have the food brought from the back. My DH has an allergy so he chef comes to the table for that need as well, but each time someone from the kitchen has taken a notepad and walked with my son as his told them what he wanted and then they made him a plate in the back and brought it to the table. When he was much younger we would tell them what to bring him.

At a buffet they are always replenishing things on the line from stuff from the back. It would not be difficult to get a plate of fresh food before it is put out. I think they will be willing to do this given the circumstances!

Remember the Special Diets department is for anyone who has a special diet need- not just allergies. A feeding tube is absolutely a special dietary need! I suggest that you email special diets and go from there. If you can get them to have a chef contact you, I am sure you can find out what you need to to assure an accommodating situation. I can never eat off of a buffet and yet have had nothing but good experiences with getting fresh food from the kitchen. Best of luck to you!

awesome. I would never have even dreamed this was possible. :) Thanks for the info! Once we know when we're going and if we'll be able to get Biergarten reservations, I'll call and see what they say.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter