Busch Gardens Tampa Bay Sucks

BachataMan

Registered
I’ve been going to Busch Gardens in Tampa for as long as I remember and it used to be one of my favorite parks. It used to be incredibly unique with its African theming and animal exhibits, offered some of the best thrill rides around, best shows around and they served some pretty amazing food there at one time. It used to compete strongly with Disney, Universal and Sea World and gave everyone a reason to make the drive over to Tampa.

Nowadays, the park is a huge dump that is in a sad state of disarray. It is now nothing more than the poorman’s version of Animal Kingdom, the poorman’s version of Epcot, the poorman’s version of Universal, etc. etc. It’s like every time I walk in there I leave with ashes in my mouth.

From what I noticed, the people who run the park just gave up and stopped caring. I mean, Christmas decorations still up on January 20th? Rides like Gwazi and Tidal Wave that have been closed for the past few years now still standing there abandoned and left to rot?

Worst of all are the employees. This is like the Amy’s Baking Company of theme parks. The employees hate their jobs, they hate being there and they hate you being there. You can tell instantly, and there’s no excuse for it. I mean, Disney employees have to put up with guests who are TEN TIMES worse, yet most of them still are cheerful, friendly and go out of their way to make your visit awesome. Also don’t be surprised if you’re treated especially bad for wearing a Disney shirt or magic band. I’m guessing this is where all the disgruntled ex-cast members go.

At this point I think they just need to gut this place and build Disneyland Tampa over it, or some nice condos even.

That's sad to hear. I haven't been there in 20 years but back then I really enjoyed it!

We go every year and have never had a bad experience. I grew up in the area and had season passes for about 15 years straight... Also never had any issues :confused3

It’s never been on Disney’s level and I’ve never compared the two.

I’ve been going to Busch Gardens in Tampa for as long as I remember and it used to be one of my favorite parks. It used to be incredibly unique with its African theming and animal exhibits, offered some of the best thrill rides around, best shows around and they served some pretty amazing food there at one time. It used to compete strongly with Disney, Universal and Sea World and gave everyone a reason to make the drive over to Tampa.

Nowadays, the park is a huge dump that is in a sad state of disarray. It is now nothing more than the poorman’s version of Animal Kingdom, the poorman’s version of Epcot, the poorman’s version of Universal, etc. etc. It’s like every time I walk in there I leave with ashes in my mouth.

From what I noticed, the people who run the park just gave up and stopped caring. I mean, Christmas decorations still up on January 20th? Rides like Gwazi and Tidal Wave that have been closed for the past few years now still standing there abandoned and left to rot?

Worst of all are the employees. This is like the Amy’s Baking Company of theme parks. The employees hate their jobs, they hate being there and they hate you being there. You can tell instantly, and there’s no excuse for it. I mean, Disney employees have to put up with guests who are TEN TIMES worse, yet most of them still are cheerful, friendly and go out of their way to make your visit awesome. Also don’t be surprised if you’re treated especially bad for wearing a Disney shirt or magic band. I’m guessing this is where all the disgruntled ex-cast members go.

At this point I think they just need to gut this place and build Disneyland Tampa over it, or some nice condos even.
Been there 6 or 7 times in the last 8 or 9 years and my kids love Busch gardens and, ironically, don't care if we ever go to Magic Kingdom again. Never had a bad experience with staff or thought it untidy at all. Add to this I can get a 14 day pass that includes unlimited visits to busch gardens, seaworld, aquatica, for $150, then its great value for money. You might get one day for magic kingdom at $150, line up for hours, to get on rides over 40 years old in many cases.

Magic kingdom is overrated imho. I went in 77 and again with my own kids in 2010, and was frankly amazed the only coaster ride of note was space mountain. It's a small world ???? Really? But then there is all the hype we need to listen to. My kids want coaster rides and fun. Not eat breakfast with a princess.

Been there 6 or 7 times in the last 8 or 9 years and my kids love Busch gardens and, ironically, don't care if we ever go to Magic Kingdom again. Never had a bad experience with staff or thought it untidy at all. Add to this I can get a 14 day pass that includes unlimited visits to busch gardens, seaworld, aquatica, for $150, then its great value for money. You might get one day for magic kingdom at $150, line up for hours, to get on rides over 40 years old in many cases.

Magic kingdom is overrated imho. I went in 77 and again with my own kids in 2010, and was frankly amazed the only coaster ride of note was space mountain. It's a small world ???? Really? But then there is all the hype we need to listen to. My kids want coaster rides and fun. Not eat breakfast with a princess.

And see, I am the opposite. I cannot stand roller coasters and love the rides in MK other than coasters. I didn’t like coasters as a kid, teen or adult. That’s why it’s good to have choices.

I can’t comment on BG though. I haven’t been there since it was nothing BUT a garden and a stand with free beer. There weren’t any rides back then. Yes, I am old . . .:rolleyes1

Yeah, it blows, that's why no one goes there anymore.... er, wait....

You forgot Big Thunder and Seven Dwarves, and also that they are going for a totally different sort of thing at MK (and really all of the Disney parks) than they are at an amusement park. It's not meant to be a coaster park. That whole different strokes for different folks things applies. Also, I love it's a small world. :)

And also this thread is a year old. Oh well.

That's a shame, we really loved Busch Gardens Tampa. Haven't been in a few years though.

We had a ball there last year. Employees were great. Food was decent. Park was clean.

That's sad to hear. I haven't been there in 20 years but back then I really enjoyed it!

Same here. My dad's parents lived in Clearwater and Safety Harbor when I was a kid. And my dad, always the frugal guy, took us to BG Tampa a lot since we could stay at my grandparents house for free. I have wonderfully memories there, but havent been since the early 90s. Sad to see SP&E isn't keeping the place in good shape.

And also this thread is a year old. Oh well.

Darn I fell for it too.

I sincerely disagree. As a Tampa resident and current BG pass holder, we love the park. I know several people that work there that would't trade it for the world. We actually had a day last year that we left Disney in a terrible mood because our experience that visit, decided to stop at BG on the way home, and it turned our whole weekend around.

The different events they have throughout the year are well organized and fun. Summer Nights, a Food and Wine that rivals epcot, Hallowscream, Christmas Town.

Gwazi is being rebuilt into a new coaster, using parts of the existing structure, which is why it hasn't been torn down.

We saw Jack Hanna, and his show was free. But than again, so was the beer,

Long time fan of Busch Gardens Tampa- the last few times we have visited there have been some major ride issues. It took us 2 visits to be able to finally ride Cobra Curse (loved it!!!). I posted on Trip advisor and I actually got a very nice response from somebody in management/Guest Services? We went back last July and had an amazing time. We did the giraffe tour- only 5 of us in the truck and got amazing pictures. Yes, some of the rides were down but we eventually got to ride all our favourites. I found the people who work there were very helpful - ok not Disney “helpful” but good none the less. We will definitely go back. Loved the shopping. I have some beautiful pieces of African art that I get compliments on all the time. We too loved the free beer!
:flower1:

I've been to the one in Williamsburg (years ago) but not the one in Tampa, so I can't really judge. But it's interesting to me that people have such different impressions of the same place!

Different parks for different needs is my opinion. I love Disney for the magic and the atmosphere and the pure joy of being able to be a kid again. I love Universal for Potter. (enough said). And I love both Busch Gardens for the roller coasters and thrill rides. IMO both BS parks are for the roller coaster enthusiasts.

I've been to the one in Williamsburg (years ago) but not the one in Tampa, so I can't really judge. But it's interesting to me that people have such different impressions of the same place!
It was one poster with an axe to grind over a year ago. Otherwise the impressions are all positive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter