• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"But Mommy, how do we get to Disney World?" A Nov/Dec 2011 PTR Update 8/8!

Villainess

Fantasy and reality often overlap - Walt Disney
"Fly, of course!" responds my DD very matter-of-factly before I can even begin to speak.

Aahh, children ... If I had a dollar for everytime my DS asks this question, well, let's just say I would be a very rich woman!

We're heading down to the World for 10 wonderful days departing on Black Friday. Yes, while everyone else I know will be hitting up the outlets and malls at 2am for the latest and greatest must-have Christmas gift that is yet to go on the market, I will happily be waking up (if I go to sleep at all) and getting ready to head to the airport!

Late Nov./early Dec. is a new time of year for our Disney traveling group. Typically, we are there late April - Mother's Day. Can you say WITHDRAWAL?! :scared1: It has been over a year since I have stepped on Disney soil - there really should be a law against things like this!

Grab a Dole Whip, :mickeybar or some rum (I promise it won't run out!), keep your hands and arms inside the PTR at all times, oh and no flash photography - now let's get planning!

Without further adieu, I present to you our cast of characters ...

Me, Danielle, 31 - Co-planner of the group; official photographer of the group (if I'm lucky I'll be in 1 photo out of the approx. 3,000 photos I take per trip - yes 3,000 photos!). This will be my 40th trip to WDW. Hence my screenname, I LOVE the villains. Yup, villains all the way. Anyone else mad at the conclusion of Fantasmic when Mickey defeats them? Even as a child, my favorite was, and still is, the Big Bad Wolf. Thrill rider and pin trader, DVC'r, mommy to 2 wonderful kiddos, and huge Cpt. Jack fan (in my defense, I've been a fan of Mr. Depp since I was 10 and he was in 21 Jump St.)

DD, 4 - my Ballerina Princess as I so often call her! If it isn't pink, sparkly or having to do with dance or princesses, she is not interested. A complete girlie girl, she hardly ever wears pants - dresses all the way and does not understand why her Aurora costume is not appropriate attire for painting day at Pre-K. Her absolute favorite is Aurora and, my apologies Cinderella, but your lovely castle and beautiful carousel horse is Aurora's according to DD! This will be her 7th visit to WDW. A pin trader since 1 1/2 years old - she scours CM lanyards for all the princess pins (I think it has officially overtaken my villain collection). Her mother's daughter, she is a Cpt. Jack fan too and is super excited to be tall enough to ride the "Big Girl Rides" She is very matter-of-fact and critiqued the recent Royal Wedding right down to the bouquet ("too tiny" in her opinion).

DS, 3 - my Cowboy Space Pirate. A true boy who already thinks girls are silly, but will take a moment to flirt with you! If he isn't pretending to be an astronaut or cowboy, he is playing raceway and, much recently pirates. He is about 1 1/4" shy of the 40 inch mark, but with 6+ months before we leave, I am keeping my fingers crossed he will hit the mark. This will be his 6th visit. He collects Muppet pins and at last count has 22 of the same Fozzie Bear pins (Fozzie is his favorite Muppet). He finds Donald Duck hilarious for his mischievous behavior and is already quite a dare devil - loves to climb which has his mommy quite the nervous wreck. The Tea Cups cannot be spun fast enough for him, and upon riding Barnstormer for the first time, had his hands in the air for the entire ride! He plays soccer at home and Pop Pop is introducing him to the world of golf .

Pop Pop, 59 - my Dad, Co-planner of the group. If Goofy could be an actual person, it would be my Dad. It seems only fitting that Goofy would then be his favorite character. Golfer and pin trader, DVC'r, and best Pop Pop in the world. He is adored by my children and sometimes I don't know who gets who into trouble! He will go on most E-ticket rides, but will sit out on Mission Space and RNR. Can be caught taking naps during any dark theater show!

Nonna, 57 - my Mom. Cinderella and Minnie Mouse are her favorites and it is fun to watch DD and her debate over who the 'better' princess is! A non-thrill, non-spin rider, we can sometimes get her on Splash if weather conditions, ADR's, and the planets all line up. Her favorite park is MK with POTC her favorite attraction. Also a DVC'r. She tolerates our pin trading habit and occasionally find one she would like herself, however her idea of relaxing for a while is a massage at the SSR Spa.

DSis, 28 If my Dad could be Goofy in person, then my sister is Donald. No, seriously and she would take that as a compliment. Never the girlie girl or princessy type, Donald is her hands down favorite and makes sure to tell Mickey that Donald is #1 in her book. Usually an E-ticket rider, we will see how this trip is. Last year, she was pregnant so she missed out on some things. Also a DVC'r, she finds pin trading silly, but being the wonderful aunt she is, helps them interact with the CMs to find their special treasures. Like Nonna, she would prefer a massage at the Spa.

DBIL, 37 While not as Disney obsessed as the rest of the group, he has been traveling to WDW with us for the past 8 years or so and enjoys the trips. He is a Donald fan, although I'm not sure if that is due to his wife's influence. He prefers to skip out on fireworks and parades to take advantage of the shorter lines of the attractions. He is adored by DD and especially DS. An E-ticket rider and foodie, he along with Pop Pop are always up for a bucket of popcorn.

DNiece, 6 months I finally am an aunt! This adorable little girl with chubby cheeks is just an absolute doll. It will be her 1st trip to WDW and we are all super excited, even DD and DS. DNiece adores DD and vice versa. I'm sure that they will grow up more like sisters than cousins. DD has already introduced her to the world of tea parties showing her how to hold a cup! Since she is my sister's daughter, naturally there are Donald influences in her nursery, but she reacts fondly to Minnie Mouse. She already has a pair of Minnie ears in her room and we are anxious to see her reactions to all the sights, sounds, color, and characters. She will turn 1 year old 3 1/2 weeks before we leave.

Not officially booked for the trip, although we are still trying to persuade them to go:

Mom Mom - my grandmother
Dee Dad - my grandfather
After an 7 year absence on our WDW trips due to the need to take care of my great-grandmother, they were once again able to join us on our trip last year. My children adore them and we are beyond blessed that they are able to share and enjoy their great-grandparents. It was a wonderful trip last year and we are hoping that they will reconsider and join us (well, Mom Mom really as Dee Dad would leave in an instant). She keeps saying, "Next year," as they have never seen any of the Christmas displays (back in the pre-kid days, we made 2 visits from 12/26 through Jan. 5/6.)

That's the core group of travelers. There is a 99% possibility of another 6 relatives joining the trip, but we are waiting for their airline ressies to be booked.

Coming up - Where to Stay?

aka The Great Hotel Debate

This will be DSis and my 1st official trip as actual DVC members, not just "children of DVC'rs" Currently, Nonna and Pop Pop are in the process of adding us to the DVC deed. :woohoo: They want to be 100% sure that the magic continues for their grandchildren - I know, they are the best!

Our home resorts are OKW & SSR. Typically, we stay at OKW which truly is our home away from home. Last year we stayed at SSR for a change of scenery and to show Mom Mom and Dee Dad a different resort. This year, we are hoping to try somewhere new. At the top of the list ...

BLT!

i-tRgdSx8-M.jpg

We went to a members open house/tour last year and were able to see Top of the World. Back in '93 (the trip my parents purchased DVC) we stayed at CR in the A-frame with our room facing MK. I remember waking up in the middle of the night just to stare at the view. CR has been my personal favorite and I've been hoping to stay there again. Overall, this is choice numero uno for the group.

BW

i-qh4kNKp-M.jpg

DD, DS, and I stayed here back in 2009. We had a great view of the courtyard/partial BW. I enjoyed walking to Epcot and DHS along with the overall atmosphere. This would be a 1st time stay for everyone else. In the past, Nonna and Pop Pop have been hesitant to stay here because of the impression of the BW area being too noisy.

i-jVHmR8j-M.jpg

Our view (as a storm was coming in):
i-WbWQJTF-M.jpg

i-z94gCpR-M.jpg

i-LjjN7K9-M.jpg

BC

i-wbqg5Gq-M.jpg

photo credit

This, too, would be a 1st time stay for everyone and has much of the same benefits as BW. Perhaps an additional plus would be a bit more quiet ambiance vs. BW (one of the things we all do enjoy is the serene environment of OKW & SSR). Oh, and closer to Beaches & Cream, too!
558584834_Ckdbs-M.jpg

A bit of a con is that there is really no 'Epcot' view but BW lit up is very beautiful.

AKV

783117158_zp4bi-M.jpg

Another hotel we (read: Pop Pop, my kids, and myself) would like to visit and home to my 2nd favorite restaurant, Sanaa, we would prefer to do a split stay here on a longer trip. Since 10 days is a relatively short trip for us (we average 15 - 19 days), we don't want to waste time unpacking/packing and moving. Also with DNiece, we don't want to lose any baby stuff in transit.

i-3qHVSXn-M.jpg

photo credit

WLV

i-74FKh6f-M.jpg

photo credit

I think it would be fun to experience this, but Nonna and DSis are not into anything having to do with camping, wilderness, woodsy, nature or the like so it is almost certainly not an option.

SSR - Treehouse Villas

i-cV5xsj9-M.jpg

photo credit

A modern day Swiss Family Robinson! Pop Pop, Nonna, and I would LOVE to stay here (yes, even Nonna in the somewhat woodsy atmosphere - I think it is the idea of the 'treehouse' that appeals to her!) I know DS especially would think it was great too.
i-C7WZMWD-M.jpg

photo credit

Problem: we usually stay in a 2 bedroom, which leaves me on the pull out couch/bed with the kids. This is not the most comfortable place to sleep despite my attempts to convince myself that a Mickey pull out couch is special and sprinkled in pixie dust to allow for a wonderful night's rest rather than any old pull out couch.

My parents have the Master bedroom and DSis and DBil get the 2nd bedroom. I must have been absent when, many trips ago, it was decided that the older sister sleeps on the couch. :rolleyes1

Anyhow ... in the Treehouse, there is a 3rd bedroom but it is bunkbeds. While DD and DS can both sleep on the bottom bunk, I will not sleep on the top (always have been petrified of that!), and I think it is doubtful I can convince DSis and DBil to have that room. So I would probably be on the couch regardless of the addition of a 3rd bedroom. My other fear is that DS would climb the bunks (he likes to climb!) so I am unsure if I can totally trust him in that room at night.

Of course, there is always the regular SSR 2 bedroom as well.

i-2Vd48BM-M.jpg

i-cHmRgWv-M.jpg

photo credit

And home to the playground the DD and DS are begging Pop Pop to recreate for them at home!
i-TWwspPG-M.jpg

photo credit

OKW

445222595_Wqv7s-M-1.jpg

Our 'home' and sentimental favorite. Everyone enjoys it here, but like I said earlier, we would like to try something new. I also wish that they could figure out a way to add a food court area. Not necessarily a large one, but similar to SSR's. It was great after a day at the park to just pop in for a quick iced tea and snack and relax a bit.

592747352_7GvwC-M.jpg

Photo Credit

Decisions, decisions ... what will we pick?

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

We are staying at ...

?

I have no idea! Pop Pop is at work and on the phone with them as we speak, err, type, so we'll have to take a break from our regularly scheduled PTR!

Photos not given credit on this post and future posts were taken by me, just in case anyone was wondering why some photos have links and others do not!

592747352_7GvwC-M.jpg

Photo Credit

Old Key West!!!

I'm a bit bummed, but we are waitlisted for BLT MK view and lake view, so we will see what happens! Actually, the only 2 bedrooms that are available for our entire length of stay are at OKW and SSR. Whoa! It may be more crowded than I thought!

Pop Pop chose OKW since we stayed at SSR last year, but DS has already asked if it is the hotel with the horse (the horse statue by the Carriage House), so Pop Pop may be asked to switch by his "little buddy."

[Whoa! It may be more crowded than I thought!
:headache: Not what I wanted to read...

Hi, just found your PTR and thought I'd check it out. We're going to there that same week, so I'm a bit bummed by the fact that it looks like it might be more crowded than I thought. Oh well, it will still be fun and I think I read that DVC usually is pretty busy that time of year anyway, so I guess we'll just have to see how crowded it really is!

Hopefully someone will cancel and you'll get your opportunity to stay at BLT!

Hi! I'm finally posting on a PTR instead of lurking all the time! I had to pop over after you posted on my PTR to see if you decided on a resort. I'm sorry you weren't able to get BLT. Who knows? Maybe you'll get some early pixie dust and something will open up.

I checked the crowd calendar on touringplans.com and they show that there are high crowd levels for the weekend after Thanksgiving and then it tapers off for the rest of your stay. Perhaps you could do a split stay? Maybe BLT is just booked for the first part of your trip and that's why you can't get in.

Hi! I'm finally posting on a PTR instead of lurking all the time! I had to pop over after you posted on my PTR to see if you decided on a resort. I'm sorry you weren't able to get BLT. Who knows? Maybe you'll get some early pixie dust and something will open up.

I checked the crowd calendar on touringplans.com and they show that there are high crowd levels for the weekend after Thanksgiving and then it tapers off for the rest of your stay. Perhaps you could do a split stay? Maybe BLT is just booked for the first part of your trip and that's why you can't get in.

Thanks for coming out of lurkdom! :yay: A split stay has been voted down by popular vote :sad1: , but we will see. Hopefully some pixie dust will come along, but if not we will still have a GREAT time. We knew that it would tough to get into especially being the "new resort" in town. If it doesn't work out, there will always be another trip!

:headache: Not what I wanted to read...

Hi, just found your PTR and thought I'd check it out. We're going to there that same week, so I'm a bit bummed by the fact that it looks like it might be more crowded than I thought. Oh well, it will still be fun and I think I read that DVC usually is pretty busy that time of year anyway, so I guess we'll just have to see how crowded it really is!

Hopefully someone will cancel and you'll get your opportunity to stay at BLT!

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is just the DVC resorts that are busy. My father has heard the same thing about it being busier for those resorts too. It will definitely still be fun - hey if I can figure out a way to have fun in a closed 4th of July MK park at 90 degrees with 200% humidity, then this should be a piece of cake!

Joining in!!!

:cheer2: Thanks for joining in!

While I get a few other posts, pictures, and related trip 'stuff' in order, I thought we might take a trip down memory lane, back to May 2007 and DD's 1st trip.

This trip was very spur of the moment. Planned in about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks and couldn't have come at a better time. Life for me was not very good, having just begun divorce proceedings, moving out of what I thought was the home I would raise DD in, and moving back in with my parents. It was a trip that I never thought would happen.

DD turned 7 months during the trip and as I pushed her stroller through the MK gates, there was nothing I could do to keep the tears from rolling down my face.

I will let the photos do most of the talking - her expressions are better than any words I could articulate!

On the airplane
i-XcD5b4K-M.jpg

i-gMNfPWR-M.jpg

Philharmagic was her very 1st attraction
i-7DqGrHs-M.jpg

She met Sorcerer Mickey (among many other characters)
i-LvdM6JD-M.jpg

i-7TKNM4v-M.jpg

And checked the maps and time schedules
i-M3CMTrS-M.jpg

Had dinner with some members of the Royal Family (as it is only right since she is a princess herself!)
i-FxWP76C-M.jpg

Nonna and Pop Pop purchased her first set of Minnie (and Mickey) ears
i-sKhfDbK-M.jpg

i-4MTjnCW-M.jpg

i-2f3zBHn-M.jpg

waiting inline to see ...
i-GHbnTGq-M.jpg

i-6BDfm4g-M.jpg

Yo Ho Ho
i-MP8t27T-M.jpg

i-P7M8tNM-M.jpg

i-NHRmcCV-M.jpg

(cont'd in following post)

(cont'd from previous post)

1st of many (many) carousel rides
i-8C9LSxR-M.jpg

She played musical instruments
i-sQVfgkg-M.jpg

i-8gCzZpG-M.jpg

And tried on lots of hats
i-LRFKxzP-M.jpg

i-CCLmJ3B-M.jpg

Dressed up like the 'big girls'
i-z5Pv3hR-M.jpg

i-XGBSfPb-M.jpg

Helped Buzz Lightyear defeat the evil Emperor Zurg
i-RSrbPN4-M.jpg

Cleaned Bruce's teeth (as she has just described the photo)
i-W4zXbwR-M.jpg

Recreated famous scenes in classic Disney films
i-d3t6pH4-M.jpg

And even drank around the world!
i-HmmrMv3-M.jpg

I think she had fun, don't you? :goodvibes

Just found your PTR! Can't wait to read it all. I am on my way out the door right now, but when I get home tonight, it is the first PTR I'm reading!:thumbsup2

Subscribed!

Wow, your little girl is sooooo adorable! Looks like you had a fabulous trip! Great pics!

Just found your PTR! Can't wait to read it all. I am on my way out the door right now, but when I get home tonight, it is the first PTR I'm reading!:thumbsup2

Subscribed!

party: Thanks for joining in!!!!

Wow, your little girl is sooooo adorable! Looks like you had a fabulous trip! Great pics!

Awww... thank you! I things she is pretty adorable too! :blush: It was a wonderful trip and stay tuned for DS's 1st trip experience!

Continuing our walk down memory lane ...

Eleven months after DD's 1st trip, it was DS's turn. He was 6 months old (yes, they are very close in age - 13.5 months apart, not planned but given the fact that I am no longer married, extremely happy it worked out this way). Feel free to PM me or ask away here with questions on tackling WDW with infants! :thumbsup2 Thirteen days prior to this trip, my divorce was finalized so this was another 'perfect timing' trip and we would be away for 17 magical days!

The 1st night of our vacation was a Pirate & Princess Party. I may have mentioned it earlier, but if not - I love Cpt. Jack! I spent many an hour here on the DIS getting advice on how to best tackle this party while not spending the entire night online. Despite my touring schedule and enthusiasm, I was overruled by the rest of the group (actually 1 or 2) so I never got my chance to meet Mr. Sparrow :sad1: It was not the ideal plan to hit P&PP on the first night after a 6:20am flight, but I want to say it may have been the last one that was offered. Anyhow, I had a good time, but didn't get to experience everything and am TOTALLY bummed that it is no longer offered.

Again, I will let the pictures do most of the talking ...

312185004_4YNG8-M.jpg

311936302_3FG3M-M.jpg

(DS's bib has a pirate on it since he was too small for a costume!)

312186461_jPHqz-M.jpg

DD did some shopping and had a wardrobe change ...
311937010_Ea6vr-M.jpg

Knocked out at P&PP
311934157_FFvdb-M.jpg

366239185_xevNa-M.jpg

368099098_uySPk-M.jpg

368103284_34quu-M.jpg

Sitting up for the 1st time
368116044_gYNp8-M.jpg

368120227_9Vxde-M.jpg

He flirted with Pocohantas
383198867_6JUtu-M.jpg

DD danced with the 'big girls'
383221531_MirwB-M.jpg

383734597_4rTHo-M.jpg

383751684_rPv2e-M.jpg

383784405_gVCne-M.jpg

383793632_sjiKE-M.jpg

383823596_JuNG3-M.jpg

Chasing Ducks
i-cn6nn3V-M.jpg

(cont'd in following post)

(cont'd from previous post)

i-TLdVDv9-M.jpg

Rather than hats, they tried on antenna toppers while they slept!
i-Pv6kdnj-M.jpg

i-DH5NsVf-M.jpg

DD did some more shopping ...
i-QKWhShX-M.jpg

Some sibling love
i-hrJrvPJ-M.jpg

DS tried to dive into the nachos
i-sfT8Z5T-M.jpg

DD discovered the splash fountains (well, Pop Pop introduced them to her)
i-8nrPxKZ-M.jpg

And we tried on hats ...
i-MBfR4QZ-L.jpg

i-Gz379bC-M.jpg

I take a picture of them everytime sitting on this ledge in Norway
i-RrWpRc6-M.jpg

i-c3LskLG-M.jpg

Hmmm ... look familiar?
i-RsrhS6z-M.jpg

i-p3JQDN8-M.jpg

Flirting with the ladies again
i-FMDrxrg-M.jpg

See a trend ... sit him in mulch/dirt, he's happy! (Hasn't changed - still likes dirt!)
i-RDT5Mfb-M.jpg

i-c2WNwNH-M.jpg

i-CvJxpJ8-M.jpg

After flirting with Jasmine
i-QsmwFxN-M.jpg

And of course, with his official Mousketeer Ears
i-V828NG7-M.jpg

Another wonderful trip with lots of magic and pixie dust!

I just read your PTR and wanted to say that your children are beautiful!! It is so wonderful that they are also lucky enough to have a loving family to share the Disney magic with them! I can definitely see why you cried walking through MK with your baby DD. Looking forward to reading more!

You've got a couple of cute kids there!:thumbsup2

I love that picture of Piglet feeding your DS his bottle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter