• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"But Mommy, how do we get to Disney World?" A Nov/Dec 2011 PTR Update 8/8!

Never been to Concord, but will definitely look into that when the time for Salem rolls around. :love: Louisa May Alcott, so that would be fun to check out! Thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup2

Yes, DD and DS are getting way to big too fast! DD is already nearing my shoulders in height (yes, I'm short, but still!) :scared1:
The best thing abotu Louisa May Alcott's house is that it is so well preserved. A lot of the items in the house were her family's items and the very very best part is that her younger sister (the one modeled after Amy in Little Women) drew all over the walls and it's amazing to see her talent and they have preserved them. I don't know how her Mother felt about that but hey, it's very interesting to look at her drawings.

I can't believe this is the first time I've seen your PTR!!!

First things first - when is your next party and can I come? :worship: Seriously, I am in awe of your attention to detail, your parties and theme nights look fantastic!

Just read the full PTR - your kids are absolutely adorable btw - and love the plans so far. Your photographs are terrific, I wish my photos turned out like that!

The last theme night looks like so much fun. I love the idea of playing Donde Esta Donald.

I'm going to guess that the next North American destination is in Mexico- maybe Cancun. Would a cruise count as a destination?

Hi Danielle! I know I'm a bit late, but I just decided to read your PTR today and I am so glad I did! Your DD & DS & DNiece are just so precious. I'll try to sum up all the comments I want to make about all the chapters I just read. :laughing:

First of all, I couldn't stop smiling when I was looking through the pictures of the kids first Disney trips! Second, you are AMAZING at planning parties. I remember my birthday parties used to be at "Fun Zones" with blow up slides and ball pits and stuff like that, of course it was fun, but yours top them by so much! :thumbsup2 Also, your Disney nights seem like a whole lot of fun! I saw similar things on Memom & Jill's trip reports. I wish my family did stuff like that! But my mom & I would probably be the only ones really into it (It's just us and my dad!) so we couldn't have a whole big feast. ;)

I probably wanted to comment on more but I'm forgetting now! Oh yeah, we will be there the same time. :goodvibes I'm subscribing, can't wait for more! :figment:

I wanted to apologize for my absence the past few weeks; work has been super busy, but I've also been dealing with a rash and terrible headaches for the past 3 months which is possibly a result of a food allergy; my thyroid levels have also been yo-yoing which may/may not have something to do with this resulting in me being constantly tired. I've been able to pinpoint mushrooms and shellfish as new allergies, but there is still something causing the rash and headaches. I'm seeing a new doctor tomorrow, and hopefully he will be able to help discover the root of the problem.

I will be back soon once I begin to feel better and more like myself! I promise to visit everyone's PTR's and TR's soon as well.

I wanted to apologize for my absence the past few weeks; work has been super busy, but I've also been dealing with a rash and terrible headaches for the past 3 months which is possibly a result of a food allergy; my thyroid levels have also been yo-yoing which may/may not have something to do with this resulting in me being constantly tired. I've been able to pinpoint mushrooms and shellfish as new allergies, but there is still something causing the rash and headaches. I'm seeing a new doctor tomorrow, and hopefully he will be able to help discover the root of the problem.

I will be back soon once I begin to feel better and more like myself! I promise to visit everyone's PTR's and TR's soon as well.

I hope you feel better soon... and that the doc can give you some answers!!! :goodvibes

Hi everyone! :wave2:

I'm beginning to feel a bit better (finally) and am trying to get back to normal. I am on my last day of a 4 day work break that I have given to myself, and since I feel sooooo out of the DIS loop, I wanted to try to catch up on my PTR and everyone else's too! :cheer2:

Last week was doctor week; I saw an allergist and a dermatologist for this mysterious rash I developed a few months ago. After blood work, two allergy scratch tests, and biopsies, they have determined what the problem is! :banana:

It turns out that I have dermatitis herpetiformis, or celiac disease rash. In addition, I have learned that I am allergic to shellfish and mushrooms and they confirmed my MSG allergy (I've had that since I was 9 years old so I wasn't really looking for confirmation on that; I know what happens if I eat something with MSG, but it's good to be thorough!)

With all of the visits, bloodwork, and biopsies, and without medical insurance, it was an expensive week, but at least I now have an answer and can move forward. On Friday, I began eating gluten-free, and I am beginning to find alternative soaps and shampoos. I have been using an oatmeal soap thinking it would help calm the rash - who knew? :confused3

To put a new spin on our trip, I now have to be extra cautious about what I eat. I'm bummed that I can no longer have School Bread, Cinnamon Buns, and so many other things. I much prefer dessert (cakes, pastries, etc.) over real food, so this will be an adjustment. It's also opening my eyes to just how many things contain gluten (certain potato chips - I would have never guessed).

I'm going to make my way over to the Disabilities board and read up on others experiences with allergies and eating in WDW. Anyone here have any experience?

I'm sorry about the new allergies, but glad to see that you know what the problem is and now can take steps to avoid future problems.:thumbsup2

My sister has a gluten allergy and has been gluten free for several years now. Disney chefs did an excellent job of walking her through the menu/buffets to show her what she could or couldn't have and the chef at Crystal Palace even made a gluten free chocolate cake for her (it was so big that we all shared it and it was delicious). We just made note of it when making ADR's and then mentioned it again to the server when we were seated. The chef would always come out and speak to her and I think every restaurant we ate at, they offered to make her anything she wanted (even if not on the menu). They are extremely accomodating. I don't recall what we did at CS places though. I think for the most part she would just order a burger without a bun or things of that nature. That's typically what she normally does when she eats out around home anyway.

Gluten free, I'm sure will be difficult for a while, but there are a lot of good recipes out there (some others, not so tasty :lmao:). With some trial and error, you'll be able to find some good substitutes that will work for you. My mom has gone through so many different recipes and substituted so many different ingredients over the years that she can make gluten free pastries and cakes that taste as good as the real thing. When we got together for Father's Day, she made some delicious gluten free brownies and my sister was hesitant to even eat them. She said they looked too good and swore that there was no way they were gluten free.:lmao::rotfl2:

I am glad you have found out what the trouble is. There is nothing worse than suffering without getting an answer.

Sorry that it is gluten. My dh turned out to have a corn allergy so... corn syrup. Well.. that too seems to be in everything. :sad2: It is quite the adjustment to have to check labels all the time...not to mention cut things out completely. However, if it makes you feel better... then it will be well worth it!:goodvibes

I'm sorry to hear it's gluten. It seems like that's a common ingredient. I'm sure if you have to vacation with a new allergy, that Disney is one of the very best places to go.

Sorry to hear about the new allergies, but at least you know what the problem is now and by all accounts Disney is excellent with allergies and other dietary needs. Good luck in your research and working it into your planning without too much disruption!

Sorry about your new allergies. But i agree with everyone else that Disney seems to be so very accomidating with that sort of thing.

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the positive thoughts. I've been doing pretty good adjusting to the new eating lifestyle.

Just wanted to pop in real quick; we are in the direct path of Hurricane Irene so we are preparing for the storm - taping windows, putting away lawn furniture, etc. We have not been ordered to evacuate - I'm a couple of miles from the ocean, but we have been having flooding due to oversaturation of the ground with all the rain we have had recently, so it is a possibility depending on how bad we are hit. I'm expecting lots of trees and branches down and no power.

To all in the path of the storm, stay safe!!!! I will update as often as possible here.

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the positive thoughts. I've been doing pretty good adjusting to the new eating lifestyle.

Just wanted to pop in real quick; we are in the direct path of Hurricane Irene so we are preparing for the storm - taping windows, putting away lawn furniture, etc. We have not been ordered to evacuate - I'm a couple of miles from the ocean, but we have been having flooding due to oversaturation of the ground with all the rain we have had recently, so it is a possibility depending on how bad we are hit. I'm expecting lots of trees and branches down and no power.

To all in the path of the storm, stay safe!!!! I will update as often as possible here.

Stay safe! I pray you weather the storm with minimal damage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter