• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"But Mommy, how do we get to Disney World?" A Nov/Dec 2011 PTR Update 8/8!

This afternoon I took DD and DS to Great Adventure, or Six Flags - whatever they call it now.

Before going, I told myself that I would not, could not spend the day comparing GA to Disney. Yeah well, ummm ... didn't happen. :rotfl2:

It has been quite a long time since I have been here - prekids, premarriage - it's got to be 7 or 8 years. I will say before I go further, that it has a great selection of rollercoasters, and when I would go that was the sole purpose for going. Didn't care about the shows, themeing, or any of the extras.

It has certainly changed A LOT! I actually had to get a map to find my way around because things like the Great American Scream Machine (my very 1st looping rollercoaster) has apparently been torn down and replaced with a big green colored rollercoaster and Superman. :confused3

I can see where they try, and try hard, at that, to copy Disney. They have their version of Fast Pass which is available for a fee (I didn't bother to look at how much since the crowds were nill and I'm sure kiddie rides would not have been included anyway); they offer dining packages and there is certainly more character presence than I remember. A difference to Disney is rather than exit a show or ride into a gift shop, there is a show that you need to walk through the gift shop to get into the show (and without any signs at that).

On our way to the kid area, we passed what could easily be near identical to Goofy's Barnstormer - probably about another turn longer in length, if that. Of course, DD and DS wanted to go on, and I did see younger children on it. I was quite surprised that the minimum height requirement for the ride was 41" A ride that certainly was no faster than Barnstormer and in comparison, at 44" a child could ride Rolling Thunder. Again, :confused3 At last measurement DS was 38 3/4" barefoot, so I checked to see where he stood at this point. I pretty much knew he wouldn't make 41" but I also needed to get a measuring for other rides as well. To my shock, he barely made the 36" mark when standing against their so-not-accurate measuring poles. As you can imagine, I had to carry a hysterical little boy away from what would end up being one of only 3 rides he really wanted to go on (the other 2: SkyRide and Log Flume)

I am not one to try to force my kids onto rides that are too big for them. I understand what height restrictions are for and even at WDW there are a few things that DD can ride that I do not think she is ready for yet (ie - Dinosaur, ToT). Still such things as the SkyRide, Tea Cups or Ferris Wheel, they couldn't go on with or without an adult (the Log Flume, they could). :rolleyes1

We managed to get to the kid area and they rode most of them - there were some that didn't interest them or DD decided were babyish. I was seeing that even on some of the rides they asked to go on, they were bored, and are at that awkward stage of wanting to go on larger rides yet they are not ready for them.

One thing that utterly disgusted me, and I'm kicking myself for not taking a pic with my cell phone of it, was the use of unwrapped straws in the straw dispensers. I'm all for reducing waste, but it was not like the straw dispenser that you press a button, 1 straw pops out, repeat.
i-LsCwdK9-M.jpg

It was like this:
i-LwLjXBL-M.jpg

Can you imagine how many dirty hands touch more than one straw? :sick:

I also noticed that despite all of the winter maintenance, there were many kid rides (I really cannot comment on the 'big rides' as we were nowhere near them to prevent any other heartbreaks) that needed a facelift. On the kiddie teacups, the decals of the Looney Tune characters were completed faded and barely distinguishable. Some rides were showing their age and the season has only just begun - we opted out of a few of these rides soley based on appearance. While they may be mechanically perfectly ok, I was leery.

Now, don't get me wrong, DD, DS and I enjoyed the day together and we did have fun, but it was extremely hard not to compare the place to Disney - even DD commented a few times on things being crowded (they seem to be squeezing lots of things in places, whether a ride, shop, kiosk, etc - moreso than I remember).

The day was topped off when I overheard a family's discussion. I am assuming the son-in-law was speaking to father-in-law (as he addressed him by first name) and said, "I told you this would be better than Disney." [My reaction :eek: ]
Father-in-law: "You've got to be kidding! It's like comparing Apples to Oranges."

And so it is.

I have a hard time not comparing Disney to other parks that I visit now. I worked at Six Flags New England when it was first opening up when I was in High School and I worked at Disney in 2007 when I was right out of college...you couldn't even compare the two experiences. Disney was so much more organized and the safety and training were so much more - Six Flags couldn't even come close!

And I wouldnt have been drinking with a straw that trip :scared1:

I saw someone else mentioned the cupcake books I have above, I started with Hello, cupcake! My favorite so far has been the mini pie cupcakes I made, easy and super cute!

I haven't decided on our next movie night yet. I'm also trying to think of one for around July 4th. Is there really not a patriotic type Disney movie? I must be blanking on something?
I just did a quick Google search and found this... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050567/
I've never seen it so I don't know if it is any good, but it looks patriotic to say the least. There might be others too, but I didn't look too hard, and like you, I really can't think of any off the top of my head.:confused3

"I told you this would be better than Disney." [My reaction :eek: ]
Well, like he said, it is an apples to oranges comparison. I guess if you want roller coasters and thrill rides, that might very well be the case, and in his opinion, it would be an accurate statement. :confused3

Personally, I'm a roller coaster junkie. Anytime I can go spend a day at a park and ride a bunch of thrill rides, I will. I love those parks and have a great time and from the thrill ride aspect they do tend to kick Disney World square in the tail. Overall though, when you look at the theming, cleanliness, customer service and all those other little intangible details, nobody even comes close to touching Disney World. It might be fun to go spend a day in another amusement park just riding rides, but I'm always ready to go to Disney World and just soak up the atmosphere for a week (or longer). There's no other parks that could ever come close holding my interest for that long. I'm always ready to go see Mickey and that is why Disney's oranges are way more delicious than any of the apples out there. :lmao::rotfl2:

I have a hard time not comparing Disney to other parks that I visit now. I worked at Six Flags New England when it was first opening up when I was in High School and I worked at Disney in 2007 when I was right out of college...you couldn't even compare the two experiences. Disney was so much more organized and the safety and training were so much more - Six Flags couldn't even come close!

And I wouldnt have been drinking with a straw that trip :scared1:

I saw someone else mentioned the cupcake books I have above, I started with Hello, cupcake! My favorite so far has been the mini pie cupcakes I made, easy and super cute!

I'm going to have to check that book out! I've heard it mentioned out there in blog-land, but since I have found an awesome cake decorator, I don't bother decorating DD and DS's cakes anymore as my visions are far loftier than my skill in this area!

Maybe cupcakes could be my forte though - they are smaller and more of them in case of mistakes (just toss it out!) :rotfl2:

I just did a quick Google search and found this... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050567/
I've never seen it so I don't know if it is any good, but it looks patriotic to say the least. There might be others too, but I didn't look too hard, and like you, I really can't think of any off the top of my head.:confused3

Well, like he said, it is an apples to oranges comparison. I guess if you want roller coasters and thrill rides, that might very well be the case, and in his opinion, it would be an accurate statement. :confused3

Personally, I'm a roller coaster junkie. Anytime I can go spend a day at a park and ride a bunch of thrill rides, I will. I love those parks and have a great time and from the thrill ride aspect they do tend to kick Disney World square in the tail. Overall though, when you look at the theming, cleanliness, customer service and all those other little intangible details, nobody even comes close to touching Disney World. It might be fun to go spend a day in another amusement park just riding rides, but I'm always ready to go to Disney World and just soak up the atmosphere for a week (or longer). There's no other parks that could ever come close holding my interest for that long. I'm always ready to go see Mickey and that is why Disney's oranges are way more delicious than any of the apples out there. :lmao::rotfl2:

Thanks for the research! I'm going to preview Johnny Tremaine and see if it would be ok for the kids. My other choice, though not very patriotic and really having nothing to do with July 4th is Lilo & Stitch. I figure I can tie in the holiday given that it is summer - far stretch, but we'll see.

I hear you on the rollercoasters. GA does have a good batch of them and last summer on our trip to Hershey I was behaved and did not compare to Disney. I think the only theme park I have visited that comes close (and yet still miles away) to detail in theme is Williamsburg Virginia.

Many many years ago when I was dating a Jungle Cruise Skipper, he told me about the '5th theme park based on villains'. This was way before the huge rumors spread on the internet about it. It was supposed to be mostly thrill rides and I was excited about it. While it will probably never happen :sad1: , I still think it would be awesome and being the creative geniuses the Imagineers are, developing family friendly and smaller tike rides to keep with the theme would be possible.

To all the dad, granddads, godfathers, uncles, or anyone who plays a father figure role ...

i-cFnZnTz-M.gif

Friday afternoon, Nonna and Pop Pop were both off from work. The kids asked to go to Perkins for breakfast, and afterwards we were headed over to Trader Joe's. We had 2 cars with us since Pop Pop took the kids before breakfast to drop off Dee Dad at the mechanic to pick up his car.

They were waiting outside of Bird Jungle while Nonna & I parked the car. We first went into Bird Jungle; it was the first time we have gone into a pet store of any sort since our 2 cockatiels passed away in 2004; they were 17 and 16 years old and we had them since they were weened from handfeeding. I was concerned about Nonna and how she would handle being in there.

In this store, the larger birds are set up in these cubicles, for lack of a better word, where patrons can pick them up to be held and played with. As we were showing the kids a pair of sun conures, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a white bird plop down onto the floor and walk down the aisle right up to us.

I picked him/her up and she proceeded to play, get petted by DD & DS and cuddle. :cloud9: We found out that she is a Goffin Cockatoo and looked basically like this:
i-mWsjgkR-M.jpg

He had a very pleasant demeanor, calm, and there were signs of a distinct personality developing.

They are smaller than the umbrella cockatoos, only 11 - 13 inches in length, and can learn to talk but overall are quiet and not the loud squawkers and overall friendlier than the larger cockatoos.

I did NOT want to put him back in his cubby when it was time to leave. There was another family buying a green parrot and I was so envious of them. Why did the cockatoo not come home with us? Well, he was $1695 plus a cage of about $500 - 600, food, toys, etc. Having just paid for all of DD's dance for competition and trying to save for a new camera and lenses (for the 4th time), I decided that now was not the right time. :sad1: Of course, all I have done is talk about this cockatoo, as have the kids.

Maybe for Christmas, Santa can bring a special family present? :santa: Hmmm .... :scratchin

The rest of Friday was pretty uneventful; Nonna & I took the kids to the mall because they needed bathing suits. Of course, we ended up at The Disney Store. We got there just in time as the skies opened up and buckets of rain poured out. We had thought about heading down to the boardwalk, but with the rain we crossed that off the list.

Up was on TV so DD and DS watched that while they ate dinner, before baths and bedtime.

On Saturday, they went with their dad for the weekend. I spent the day finishing up 4 orders and getting them in the mail before the Post Office closed. I also started to work on the pictures from Dee Dad's party so I will be able to share those soon.

Sunday was a bit of a disappointing day for Pop Pop and Dee Dad. They don't get to see DD & DS as it is their dad's holiday, and even though they completely understand it, it is still sad for them.

DSis texted my mom later Saturday afternoon informing us that we would need to do lunch for Father's Day as they had to go to her in-laws for dinner. Despite Nonna telling her that we wanted to go for dinner as Pop Pop hates having lunch at 2 - 2:30 in the afternoon (after Mom Mom and Dee Dad get back from 12 noon Mass). He says that it messes up the day, and for him, who gets up around 5am on the weekend to get things done to relax in the evening or afternoon, it does. DSis protested and said this is all they could do and if we wanted dinner, then go without them. That would mean that Pop Pop wouldn't get to see another grandchild, or Dee Dad another great-grandchild, so we relented. Now, this wouldn't be so bad if DSis made a point of telling her in-laws that we need to rotate holidays - lunch with them on Mother's Day, dinner with them on Father's Day, then the next year switch. See, we got lunch for Mother's Day this year as well because DSis claimed that DBIL was working and they had no choice but dinner with his parents that day (not only did he not work that day, but he did go to lunch with us ... :rolleyes1 ).

Mom Mom and Dee Dad rode down to the restaurant with us, as we had reservations at 2. We decided on a place in Asbury Park and the boarwalk area, especially around the Stone Pony was packed! I wasn't aware of the memorial service that they were having in honor of E Street Band legend, Clarence Clemons.

DSis, DBIL, and DNiece hadn't even left their house yet, so they came around 2:30 and that is when we found out that they were only 'stopping in' at the in-laws, no dinner. Mom Mom, who is not afraid of opening her mouth and expressing her opinions, mentioned to them that we wanted to go to dinner. Their response, "Oh, we didn't know that" :stir: Seriously?! Mom Mom dropped it bc there was no sense, and it was clear that Pop Pop was upset about it.

We all had sandwiches, were were fine, but we got the biggest kick out of seeing Mom Mom's order arrive. Now, she is known to not finish 2 scrambled eggs, saying she is stuffed and that is all she will have eaten for the day, so when this arrived, it was hilarious!
i-Ww6dpTb-M.jpg

Obviously, she did not eat the whole thing, not even half! She ate 1/4 and took the rest home for Dee Dad's lunch today.

We said our goodbye's to DNiece, DSis, and DBIL and headed home. The rest of the day was dull. Nonna did a bit of food shopping, Pop Pop watched baseball and/or golf, and I did some more work. The kids finally came home around 9:30 and they were able to give Pop Pop his cards and present - a Mr. Coffee coffee maker for work (his old one broke). Not too much playtime or anything as they needed to get to bed.

DD has kindergarten testing later this morning and dance this afternoon.

So, that’s our weekend in 1,111 words, give or take 5!

I hope you can swing it and get a new family pet for Christmas. I'm sure that would go over very well.:thumbsup2 Hopefully you can find one with as good of a demeanor as the one you played with in the store.

Sorry about the whole lunch/dinner situation. It really is hard to coordinate holidays to make everyone happy, but I think the best way to handle it is to rotate like you mentioned. Even if it wasn't an ideal situation, at least everyone was able to get together for a bit.

That sandwich looks great!

Despite the drama surrounding lunch... it sounds like it was a nice family day.

That sandwich looks yummy... even it if it a bit large.

Did I forget to post about how AMAZING your lady and the tramp night was? Holy cow :eek: :worship: Those cupcakes :worship::worship:

And on the bird... I hope :santa: can be generous for you. :goodvibes

I hope you can swing it and get a new family pet for Christmas. I'm sure that would go over very well.:thumbsup2 Hopefully you can find one with as good of a demeanor as the one you played with in the store.

Sorry about the whole lunch/dinner situation. It really is hard to coordinate holidays to make everyone happy, but I think the best way to handle it is to rotate like you mentioned. Even if it wasn't an ideal situation, at least everyone was able to get together for a bit.

That sandwich looks great!

I hope we can get the bird too!

DD and DS were able to spend time yesterday with Mom MOm and Dee Dad and they were thrilled!

Despite the drama surrounding lunch... it sounds like it was a nice family day.

That sandwich looks yummy... even it if it a bit large.

Did I forget to post about how AMAZING your lady and the tramp night was? Holy cow :eek: :worship: Those cupcakes :worship::worship:

And on the bird... I hope :santa: can be generous for you. :goodvibes

Re: the cupcakes Thank you! :goodvibes I seem to be able to handle cupcake decorating better than cakes.

I'm sure you've been asked, "Besides Disney, where else do you vacation?" :eek::scared1: The horror! A vacation other than Disney? What is the world coming to?

OK, OK ... in addition to visiting Disney every year (or if I'm really lucky a few times a year), there are some other places I would like to visit.

Way back when I was really young - like preteen young - I made 2 lists of places I would like to visit. It has evolved a bit overtime, crossing off places I have been or ones that at the present do not interest me. One list included North American destinations and the other, well, everywhere else in the world.

The lists have become a Top 10 'wish list' of sorts. I thought I would share both Top 10 lists, beginning with North America, my own backyard.

Drumroll Please ...

i-5Tcb4kj-M.jpg

(Thank you, Animal!)

10) Salem, Massachusetts
Immortalized by the Witch Trials of 1692 and Nathanial Hawthorne's birthplace, I have been intrigued with this specific area of Massachusetts since middle school social studies, and again in AP American History in high school. Adding to that I'm intrigued by haunted homes and watch Ghost Hunters, I would like to do legitimate ghost walk one day (not a touristy thing where a bunch of tourists pay to have the beejeezus out of them - did that on a class trip to Scotland, not amusing).

I enjoy reading classic literature, and I thank my high school teacher of a class "Great Books" for this interest. Nathanial Hawthorne's Scarlet Letter is a favorite of mine.

i-MCbSLVT-M.jpg

i-Skzx62m-M.jpg

i-dFHkmmW-M.jpg

Most likely, this would be a long weekend trip in length, and I seriously doubt it would be around Halloween as I've seen some pictures, and well - if I brought DD and DS, some of the parades would not be rated G or even PG-13.

9) Mt. Rushmore & Yellowstone Park

i-KBFwKjF-M.jpg

i-rMffxpT-M.jpg

This is a definite trip that I will take with DD and DS. There is nothing like this around here in NJ.

i-tBTRk7q-M.jpg

i-RLRrJPm-M.jpg

I cannot imagine seeing this on the road.
i-5DWzr3S-M.jpg

i-9zZ7gZ7-M.jpg

Since Nonna is not much of the outdoorsy type, and therefore WLV not in her top accomodation choices in Disney, I think staying at Old Faithful Inn would be a great experience for the kids and I. I am tentatively looking at either 2014 or 2015 for this experience.

Up next ... No.'s 8 & 7 on the countdown. Any guesses where they could be?

I like your wish list! I need to make one of those... just so that I can prioritize a bit away from disney. (I know.. blasphemous...but better to not completely drive my dh crazy)

Wait there is somewhere besides Disney to vacation :confused3 I grew up in Western Massachusetts and we used to travel to Salem for school trips, love it there!!

great theme night!
my dh has been itching to go to other theme parks. i keep talking him out of them by making the point of the ride heights. i know it would torture my kids too.

I like your wish list! I need to make one of those... just so that I can prioritize a bit away from disney. (I know.. blasphemous...but better to not completely drive my dh crazy)

Thanks! There are times that while I would love to go to Disney, it just isn't in the cards - whether it is time of year, etc. so it's good to have some backups! Plus, it makes you appreciate Disney all the more when you are there.

Wait there is somewhere besides Disney to vacation :confused3 I grew up in Western Massachusetts and we used to travel to Salem for school trips, love it there!!

:rotfl2: Yes, yes, strange I know! What time of year is nice to go up there? I've only been to New England (MA) once and it was to a boarding school for a 2 week summer camp. I only saw the campus.

great theme night!
my dh has been itching to go to other theme parks. i keep talking him out of them by making the point of the ride heights. i know it would torture my kids too.

Last year, we went to Dutch Wonderland and it was fantastic for the kids! They were able to go on almost everything and is built for kids. We also went to Hershey and we did run into some problems, met the 36" height requirement at Ride A but right next to it at Ride B, same requirement didn't make it. As opposed to GA, at Hershey, in many of those circumstances a parent would just need to ride. DS was able to go on their wooden rollercoaster (DD as well, but she is taller and made the height). I'm tossing around a long weekend in August to go to Busch Gardens in VA. I need to read abit more about how the rides are handled there before I decide yay or nay.

We're heading back up to the New England area for #8 on our countdown ...

8) Newport & Block Island Rhode Island
i-SPkcDZC-M.jpg

Now I know that the Great Gatsby was set in Long Island, but I have always fantasized about what it would have been like to live in that era among the elite and in those enormous mansions, hosting parties (of course!).
i-Mc7ZHmx-M.jpg

i-5ThGT3L-M.jpg

Without a doubt, the mansions would be a must visit for me! Since I plan weddings, I have to keep up-to-date on the latest trends in wedding fashion. Many designers choose these mansions for the photoshoots, including one of my favorites, Lazaro. Many times, however I have thought the photos were shot at Wilson Hall, what is now part of Monmouth University. While they have had photoshoots there, it hasn't been for any of my favorite designers. The similarities between many of Wilson Hall's rooms and these mansions are uncanny.
i-FjKmWdG-M.jpg

Another reason to visit is to practice my photography and I think that between beaches, the quaint towns and shops, the mansions, and nature, and marina, I would be able to photo a little of this and a little of that.
i-zBRnLn2-M.jpg

I would like to take this trip, first without kids so I could concentrate on the photography, and later, with the kids once they have developed an appreciation of history and architecture. At this time, DS would be bored and not make for a pleasant visit to those sites. They would really only be interested in the beach, and for me, since the beach is 4 miles from our house, I really have little interest.
i-nr5gsCb-M.jpg

7) New Orleans

i-SxXgHS3-M.jpg

Though no desire to go during Mardi Gras, I would love to see the plantations and architecture of New Orleans. Once, we stayed in the mansions of POR, and I kept thinking how beautiful it is and that it would wonderful to see the real thing. I guess I have thing for architecture?
i-fB5Pqp4-M.jpg

i-q62qCzc-M.jpg

This is a definite trip with the family, and I think DS could tolerate the architecture mixed in with carriage rides, street entertainment, visit to the zoo, etc.

i-JMHmKPs-M.jpg

i-qrzGMZv-M.jpg

Another fascination, as with Salem, is the tales of ghosts and hauntings. While a ghost walk may not be appropriate for children, perhaps there is a 'haunted hotel' we could stay at?

A side trip out to the bayou would be great, too.
i-mTPzNcq-M.jpg

I am contemplating this trip for next spring or early summer, in between dance seasons.

Have you ever been to Newport or New Orleans? What did you think?

Any guesses for #'s 6, 5, and 4?

Hi! My kids are thirteen months apart, too, so I wanted to come over and read you PTR. You don't meet many other people with kids that close together.

I love the pictures from your kids' first trips. They look so cute. I like the ones of them in the sink. :rotfl:

I am so impressed by your birthday parties. Those look amazing. I'd be tempted to steal all the Cars party ideas, but I'm sure it would end up looking very amateur.

Your trip sounds like it's coming together great! I can't wait to hear more about it.

I'm guessing California will end up on the travel destination countdown soon. Maybe San Francisco, that's a cool place to visit.

I like your list of travel destinations so far. I've done a road trip through the Dakotas, Wyoming and part of Montana, but ironically enough, have never seen Mt. Rushmore or Yellowstone. I'd love to see Yellowstone at some point and New Orleans is definitely on my must visit list too.

I've got to go with a guess of Gatlinburg (or basically anywhere in the Smokies) somewhere on the list. Just throwing that out there because we go there every couple of years for a few days and it is always fun and relaxing with some beautiful scenery.

I guess the Grand Canyon is an obvious guess for a list like this. Doesn't everybody want to see it? :lmao:

I love the Great Gatsby! It's one of my favorite books!

I've been to New Orleans once, but I was a tween. It was actually over Halloween, and it was like a mini Mardi Gras don't recommend taking the kids then. I found an article once on three days in New Orleans for kids, mostly using public transport. It sounded pretty fun, and we are thinking of doing that trip during a short school break soon.

Las Vegas maybe? While the architeture isn't necessarily classic, there are some unique buildings.

Hi! My kids are thirteen months apart, too, so I wanted to come over and read you PTR. You don't meet many other people with kids that close together.

I love the pictures from your kids' first trips. They look so cute. I like the ones of them in the sink. :rotfl:

I am so impressed by your birthday parties. Those look amazing. I'd be tempted to steal all the Cars party ideas, but I'm sure it would end up looking very amateur.

Your trip sounds like it's coming together great! I can't wait to hear more about it.

I'm guessing California will end up on the travel destination countdown soon. Maybe San Francisco, that's a cool place to visit.

Welcome!!! :cheer2: It isn't very common to find people with kids so close in age; friends of mine had twins and they told me that minus the infant stage they 2 - 4 age was like having twins. I can see where that is true. Now that DD is almost 5, I'm beginning to see some differences between the 2, mostly because she is getting ready for kindergarten and he is 2 years behind in that area since he misses the cutoff date.

I like your list of travel destinations so far. I've done a road trip through the Dakotas, Wyoming and part of Montana, but ironically enough, have never seen Mt. Rushmore or Yellowstone. I'd love to see Yellowstone at some point and New Orleans is definitely on my must visit list too.

I've got to go with a guess of Gatlinburg (or basically anywhere in the Smokies) somewhere on the list. Just throwing that out there because we go there every couple of years for a few days and it is always fun and relaxing with some beautiful scenery.

I guess the Grand Canyon is an obvious guess for a list like this. Doesn't everybody want to see it? :lmao:

Yes, I think everyone wants to see the Grand Canyon at some point. Whenever I think about visiting there I cannot help but recall the scene from National Lampoon's Vacation:

"Don't you want to look at the Grand Canyon?" (Clark nods) "It's great."
i-nmbDMg9-M.jpg

:rotfl2:

I love the Great Gatsby! It's one of my favorite books!

I've been to New Orleans once, but I was a tween. It was actually over Halloween, and it was like a mini Mardi Gras don't recommend taking the kids then. I found an article once on three days in New Orleans for kids, mostly using public transport. It sounded pretty fun, and we are thinking of doing that trip during a short school break soon.

Las Vegas maybe? While the architeture isn't necessarily classic, there are some unique buildings.

Thanks for the tip about Halloween! :thumbsup2 I wouldn't have thought, but then again, it makes sense that it could get a bit wild. I was thinking about 5 days so that itinerary you found would probably be perfect, allowing for more time at things such as the zoo, etc.

I've been to Vegas twice, so I think I will let DD and DS wait until they are 21 to venture out there themselves. I didn't get to see the Hoover Dam, however. I'm not a big gambler (I can drive 1 1/2 hours to Atlantic City), but exDH was/is? really into poker so he would play and I walk the strip by myself.

Continuing in the countdown ...

6) San Francisco & North Coast CA

I believe there was a guess or two for this area. Congrats PirateKate - you win a virtual :mickeybar!

I went on a 10 day visit to the LA/Southern Cal/Disneyland area about 10 years ago. LA and Hollywood was neat to see and quite fun, but I preferred Orange County to the glitz and glamour of Rodeo Drive.

i-MNwDWPL-M.png

I really want to ride on the trolley of San Francisco, and yes, I would be the dork that would sing, "Rice-a-roni! The San Francisco treat!" Much to the :sad2: embarrasment of my children and the disgust of the locals who would peg me as a tourist. :rolleyes1

i-x6jHp7J-M.jpg

Is this the same group of houses that they show in the intro to Full House? Yes, I enjoyed this show as an adolescent. Another dork alert - I'd want my picture taken there!

But in seriousness, I've always thought the landscaping of steep hills, the modern city buildings juxtaposed with the gingerbread house architecture all within the confines of San Fran quite interesting. I also would love to see the sea lions on Pier 39.

i-wq5jNPp-M.jpg

i-bVfXjP7-M.jpg

Of course, I would definitely want to take a day visit out to Alcatraz.
i-drDGHwP-M.jpg

I think this would probably be a 10 day trip or so; after touring the San Fran areas, we would continue by driving north to Sonoma Valley and the wine region.
i-965gf7K-M.jpg

Crescent Beach
i-b7DLZcS-M.jpg

and make our way to the Giant Sequioas and Redwoods.
i-jTNQLJx-M.jpg

5) St. John's/Newfoundland

The first non-US destination to make its way onto the countdown. I've been to Niagara Falls for a long weekend and Montreal for about 1 1/2 days, both places I would like to return to, especially Montreal!

Why Newfoundland? St. John's was the hometown of my very first pen pal way back when I was 12 years old. Sadly, we lost touch after she became ill, and I do not know what happened to her, but she would write about her town and home and how much she loved it. So, part of it is sentimental - to see where this person that I exchanged letters on a monthly basis with for over 2 1/2 years lived.

i-QD9THkx-M.jpg

This trip would probably piggyback a trip to either some area of Quebec or region of New Brunswick, or be a long weekend trip length otherwise.

i-W4C5c8J-M.jpg

i-BJbX5n3-M.jpg

4) San Antonio

Yes, the Alamo! I'll admit it; I enjoy history and learning about the Alamo was one of my favorite American History time periods.

i-95ptbGt-M.jpg

But it wasn't until one day when there was nothing on TV and I decided to watch the Travel Channel. I want to say it was Samantha Brown doing a segment on weekend getaways. She was in San Antonio, and the Riverwalk area was just phenomenal. I love the idea of taking a boat ride, walking along the water shopping or going to a restaurant.

i-S3jgDhf-M.jpg

It almost looks Disney-esque, not something you would find in a city! From what I've read and heard, it is family friendly, and a place where I would not be uncomfortable traveling alone with the kids if Nonna and Pop Pop did not care to visit.

DD and DS would enjoy the parks, zoo and DS, I'm sure the caverns. Perhaps a trip to Sea World could be arranged as we never seem to make it there on our trips to WDW (takes out of our Mickey time!)
i-8rQp45K-M.jpg

i-dgsKJTR-M.jpg

Coming up #3! To the winner of guessing this destination:
i-DHxWPcs-M.jpg

(Hint: there are no eastern North American locations remaining on the list).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter