• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"But Mommy, how do we get to Disney World?" A Nov/Dec 2011 PTR Update 8/8!

Coming up #3! To the winner of guessing this destination:
i-DHxWPcs-M.jpg

(Hint: there are no eastern North American locations remaining on the list).
I'm going to have to go with Hawaii.:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

I'm really enjoying the list. Some places that definitely come to mind as some of the top attractions in the country and a few others that you wouldn't necessarily think of right away, but still fun places to see. I can't wait to see the rest of the list.:thumbsup2

I really enjoy your list. I think I am just going to use it for reference material whe we do a non Disney vacay. The pics are a nice touch:thumbsup2

Hi!
I followed you over from my PTR and I have to say, your children are ADORABLE! Your very last day (December 4th, right?) is my very first day of another trip I'm planning to take this year (but shhh, no one knows that on my PTR ;) )
I'm so excited to see how your daughter's Princess & the Frog party goes. I LOVE that movie. Ray is one of my favorite characters!

I am excited to see what your pick is...the best time to visit New England is any time but winter :rotfl: I hate cold weather

I am excited to see what your pick is...the best time to visit New England is any time but winter :rotfl: I hate cold weather

Not a fan of cold or snowy weather here, either, especially if I have to drive in it.

Hi!
I followed you over from my PTR and I have to say, your children are ADORABLE! Your very last day (December 4th, right?) is my very first day of another trip I'm planning to take this year (but shhh, no one knows that on my PTR ;) )
I'm so excited to see how your daughter's Princess & the Frog party goes. I LOVE that movie. Ray is one of my favorite characters!

:welcome: Thank you ... :goodvibes I think they are adorable too, so I'm keeping them! LOL!

How awesome that you are getting another trip so close!

I really enjoy your list. I think I am just going to use it for reference material whe we do a non Disney vacay. The pics are a nice touch:thumbsup2

Thank you! Pics always make posts more interesting, especially when I ramble on and on!

How is Zoe?

I'm going to have to go with Hawaii.:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

I'm really enjoying the list. Some places that definitely come to mind as some of the top attractions in the country and a few others that you wouldn't necessarily think of right away, but still fun places to see. I can't wait to see the rest of the list.:thumbsup2

LOL! :rotfl2: Good guess ... we'll see! I never actually correlated the Dole Whip to a possible location on the list; I was trying to think of a hierarchy of Disney snacks and desserts

she. Is doing better, thank you. Still going to be in the hospital a while... But at least she is showing signs of being herself again.:goodvibes

I just read your update on the PTR. I'm glad to hear she can have apple juice! :woohoo:

Hola!

On Tuesday, Mickey surprised us with another Disney Day to learn about Mexico and watch the 3 Caballeros.
i-Bz4xjxp-M.jpg

DD and DS were quite excited that he also left a Donald figure to play, “¿Dónde está Donald?”
i-Wpmj6Nb-M.jpg

We kicked off the day with DS finding Donald in the first round of the game, much to DD’s dismay. DD doesn’t like to lose much, so this is an area we are working on.
i-mVzXNWW-M.jpg

Oh, please excuse the outfit you will see DD in; she had dance in the early afternoon so the streetwalker biker shorts and tight tank top is what she wears for production rehearsal. :rotfl2:

Next, we did the first part of our maraca craft. I think I found this on Family Fun, oh no wait – that’s not right. Directions here

DD and DS painted the Styrofoam cups and while at dance class they were able to dry. DD had a rough rehearsal; I think she became a bit intimidated dancing with the older kids (she is the youngest in the group of about 70 kids with the oldest entering their senior year of high school).

When we got home, DD and I needed to review her dance rehearsal while DS played with his cars.

Throughout the course of the day, I taught them some phrases and words in Spanish. Quite a few they knew already from Handy Manny, but they weren’t quite able to catch onto the monorail spiel, “Por Favor Mantengase Alejado De Las Puertas,” just yet.

While DD and DS worked on the second portion of the maraca craft – decorating, I made dessert – Tres Leches Cake.
i-hTgQKKD-M.jpg

i-HdrNMkc-M.jpg

i-hZ7xR33-M.jpg

Next, we made tissue paper flowers. DD really enjoyed this activity as she had learned how to make paper fans at school, and we now have an abundance of fans in nearly every room of the house, my car, exDH’s car, etc. DS’s attention span lasted one tissue paper flower until he declared it, “for girls,” and went back to his cars.

DD and DS helped set the table with some plates we picked up at the $ Store, and then went off to play while I cooked dinner. I had originally envisioned covering the table in a Mexican blanket that I *thought* I had. Not being able to find it in my closet, Pop Pop's trunk, my trunk, or the linen closet, I figured that I sold it at last year's yard sale since it wasn't a color I particularly liked. :rolleyes1

I accented the table display with some of Nonna’s collection of statues from the Mexico pavilion.
i-VxSbfNR-M.jpg

She has been collecting them for years; it started with birds since we had 2 cockateils and she purchased 1 each resembling them, followed by a toucan, etc. etc. Unfortunately they no longer carry the ones she originally collected so she has moved on to these more colorful animals. DD has already told her that she has to purchase a pink one this time around as DS chose the blue frog on our last trip.
i-BWTtzDX-L.jpg

i-4PNQqQZ-M.jpg

Dinner was a tad bit rushed as I found out that Pop Pop had a meeting this evening. Our menu consisted of: mocktail lime margaritas, Don Donald’s Mexican Dip, Panchito’s Chicken Fajitas, Arroz de Jose Carioca, and Fiesta Black Beans.
i-bcvxwKh-L.jpg

i-gPj6vBc-M.jpg

DD and DS enjoyed trying the fake margarita, but declared it too sweet for their taste, and exchanged them for waters.
i-qPLkc7N-M.jpg

i-2PDDMSB-M.jpg

After a quick clean-up thanks to the paper plates, the kids took baths and then it was time for our feature movie, except I couldn’t find 3 Caballeros. Hmmm … I know we have the movie. :scratchin Yup, we do, only on VHS. We do, however, have Saludos Amigos on DVD. Okay, Saludos Amigos it is!

DD and DS were quite interested in it; I was delighted to see DD make the connection between the clips of the animator’s visiting the various areas of Central and South America and the cartoon shorts that developed as a result. DS enjoyed “Pedro,” the tale of a little plane who needs to deliver the mail.
i-25TgHXh-M.jpg

Unfortunately, Panchito was not in this film, and DD did mention it on a few occasions during the film. I guess I will have to purchase 3 Caballeros so they can watch that one!

Of course, we enjoyed our dessert of Tres Leches Cake during the movie. Well, DS chose a fudge pop instead as he said the cake was, “wet.”
i-8B2v56T-M.jpg

What's next on our family movie night? I'm thinking Lilo & Stitch on Friday; in my $ Store visit to pick up Fiesta themed items, I also snatched up some grass skirts, leis, coconut cups, and netting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we can have this dinner outside!

What happened to Cars 2, you ask? Well, we did go to see it, however we were very busy getting things ready for a church function the following day, so we didn't get to do any of the activities or make a themed dinner. We ended up scarfing down our dinner at the local diner in about 20 minutes to make the movie, only to have DD declare the movie, "for boys!" and fall asleep. Yes, it is definitely more boy-centric than the previous one; if you haven't seen it yet, it is a James Bond meets Car Racing movie. Honestly, I was a tad bit disappointed in it, and it could have been a direct release to DVD sort of thing. It didn't have the impact Cars had or any of the Toy Story movies, for that matter.

Hi! Trying to catch myself up on all your recent posts! I believe I've said this before, but I love your Disney days! They look so fun...I will have to remember that idea once I have kiddo's and want to take them to Disney!

Wow , movie and dinner night at your place is quite impressive.

And your dd.. What she was wearing:confused: she looked likes normal kid to me. Zoe often time doesn't wear anything fancy... Sometimes a tank top and comfy pants is just the right thing for the day :thumbsup2

I definitely felt the same way when we went to see Cars 2. It was disappointing for Disney/Pixar. And I can't believe the amount of cars that died... it seemed quite violent for a G-rated movie!

I just caught up on your PTR today. I remember reading your last one, I can't believe how much your DD and DS have grown. Yikes! They grow up fast, don't they?

Once again, you are the master party planner. Their birthday parties are simply amazing.

Too bad your exDH had to cause all that drama at your DDs recital. I think you handled it very well though.

I love your themed Disney Days, what a great idea. I am going to have to save that idea for the future.

Oh and if you like the idea of Salem, you should check out Concord, MA too if you haven't been there before. They have a lot of historical buildings there, including Louisa May Alcott's Orchard House and other writers that I'm forgetting. Also they have the Battle Road trail that has a lot of Revolutionary war history and last but not least the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery which has a lot of famous people buried there. It's very cool.

Looks like a fun theme night! Too bad you didn't get to watch the movie you wanted, but nice save. :thumbsup2

I'm sure you are all anxiously awaiting the top 3 of my North American travel destinations! :rotfl:

Ready ...

to get your kicks ...

on
i-HVG9SdG-M.jpg

YES! A roadtrip down the 'Mother Road!' This is 100% influenced by Cars, as before I never would have imagined wanting to take a vacation 2 weeks, or so in length where 98% of that vacation is in a vehicle! The movie, and then later reading about Route 66 and the people that Disney/Pixar used to influence the characters of the film has given me a new appreciation for Americana.

If it were possible, I would love to take this trip tomorrow, but I do not think that DD and DS would be very happy campers, even if spinning it as a, "Let's go see the real life things in Cars!" I have this penciled in for 2016 when DS would be approaching 9 years of age. This trip would also include a side trip to the Grand Canyon, so afwdwfan, your earlier guess of the Grand Canyon is correct! A virtual :mickeybar for you!

Some of the sights to see along our journey:

The inspiration for Ramone's auto body art shop
U Drop Inn, Shamrock, TX

U-Drop Inn by Marcel S, on Flickr

Cadillac Ranch, Amarillo, TX

Cadillac Ranch by gtocruzr, on Flickr

Interesting roadside attractions:
i-Tt7n693-M.jpg

i-nkWMRJF-M.jpg

i-GWBSrVv-M.jpg

A stay at the Cozy Cone, err Wigwam Motel is a must!
i-6v6bdwC-M.jpg

i-3BRt7Mm-M.jpg

i-gFzV6CQ-M.jpg

Oatman, AZ where the main attraction are the wild burros which roam free about the town.
i-PGhkhkQ-M.jpg

Sandhills Curiosity Shop
i-NrjCNZ9-M.jpg

Calico Ghost Town - most likely inspired the rock lettering 'RS' in the movie
i-dQpMPxG-M.jpg

Meteor City
i-d2p4LZL-M.jpg

i-tkZBdJn-M.jpg

Havasu Falls near the Grand Canyon, although off Route 66, inspired the waterfall lanscaping that is seen when Sally drives over the bridge in McQueen's daydreaming
i-skPLcrZ-M.jpg

i-JtSCXxb-M.jpg

i-Jv4Cv9n-M.jpg

i-T4tTXgQ-M.jpg

Only 2 left on the countdown! What will the next one be?
i-NmQCMLD-M.jpg

to the lucky reader who guesses the next one!

Hi! Trying to catch myself up on all your recent posts! I believe I've said this before, but I love your Disney days! They look so fun...I will have to remember that idea once I have kiddo's and want to take them to Disney!

Thank you! :goodvibes There is a thread over in the Family area filled with Disney Movie Nights - there are many fantastic ones over there if you ever want to take a peek!

Wow , movie and dinner night at your place is quite impressive.

And your dd.. What she was wearing:confused: she looked likes normal kid to me. Zoe often time doesn't wear anything fancy... Sometimes a tank top and comfy pants is just the right thing for the day :thumbsup2

Thanks - I'm just not used to seeing DD in anything but skirts and dresses, and it is very different than the usual leotard and tights!

I definitely felt the same way when we went to see Cars 2. It was disappointing for Disney/Pixar. And I can't believe the amount of cars that died... it seemed quite violent for a G-rated movie!

Yes, I was trying to figure out if the cars actually 'died' or if they needed new batteries and would be ok - didn't seem clear to me, but then I began to zone out myself as I had a sleeping DD laying on my arm.

I just caught up on your PTR today. I remember reading your last one, I can't believe how much your DD and DS have grown. Yikes! They grow up fast, don't they?

Once again, you are the master party planner. Their birthday parties are simply amazing.

Too bad your exDH had to cause all that drama at your DDs recital. I think you handled it very well though.

I love your themed Disney Days, what a great idea. I am going to have to save that idea for the future.

Oh and if you like the idea of Salem, you should check out Concord, MA too if you haven't been there before. They have a lot of historical buildings there, including Louisa May Alcott's Orchard House and other writers that I'm forgetting. Also they have the Battle Road trail that has a lot of Revolutionary war history and last but not least the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery which has a lot of famous people buried there. It's very cool.

Never been to Concord, but will definitely look into that when the time for Salem rolls around. :love: Louisa May Alcott, so that would be fun to check out! Thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup2

Yes, DD and DS are getting way to big too fast! DD is already nearing my shoulders in height (yes, I'm short, but still!) :scared1:

Looks like a fun theme night! Too bad you didn't get to watch the movie you wanted, but nice save. :thumbsup2

Thanks! Actually, I found 3 Caballeros on DVD yesterday. It turns out we have a DVD combo pack Saludos Amigos/3 Caballeros so in my DVD searching the other evening I kept skipping that box thinking it was a duplicate DVD. DS and DD have watched it about 4 times in 2 days - imagine having,
"We're three caballeros
Three gay caballeros
They say we are birds of a feather
We're happy amigos
No matter where he goes
The one, two, and three goes
We're always together ..."

stuck in your head? It's almost as bad as IASW!!! :rotfl2:

What a great theme night, I love the beautiful flowers and crafts you guys worked on!! That is too funny that DS said the cake was "wet" :goodvibes

I have heard a lot of the same reviews about Cars 2, which makes me sad :sad2: I think we will wait to see it when it comes out on DVD. But what an exciting trip it would be to see the real life spots on Cars!! Such a cool idea :goodvibes

This trip would also include a side trip to the Grand Canyon, so afwdwfan, your earlier guess of the Grand Canyon is correct! A virtual :mickeybar for you!
:banana::cool1::yay::woohoo: Alright! Virtual Mickey bars are virtually delicious!!!
Only 2 left on the countdown! What will the next one be?
I'll repeat my Hawaii guess, even though I missed out on the Dole Whips... :confused3

I love the idea of driving Route 66 and seeing the sights. I've gone part of the way along Route 66 but we didn't go all the way through Texas and beyond to the west. I grew up going on road trips, so honestly, I love just driving and not having a set schedule and just taking in the scenery as it comes and seeing places along the way.

LOVE the patriotic castle pic! :lovestruc

Thanks, but I cannot take the credit for it ... found it here :goodvibes

What a great theme night, I love the beautiful flowers and crafts you guys worked on!! That is too funny that DS said the cake was "wet" :goodvibes

I have heard a lot of the same reviews about Cars 2, which makes me sad :sad2: I think we will wait to see it when it comes out on DVD. But what an exciting trip it would be to see the real life spots on Cars!! Such a cool idea :goodvibes

Thanks! Pop Pop enjoyed Cars 2, and most guys I have spoken with enjoyed it too - maybe its a girl thing? :confused3

:banana::cool1::yay::woohoo: Alright! Virtual Mickey bars are virtually delicious!!!

I'll repeat my Hawaii guess, even though I missed out on the Dole Whips... :confused3

I love the idea of driving Route 66 and seeing the sights. I've gone part of the way along Route 66 but we didn't go all the way through Texas and beyond to the west. I grew up going on road trips, so honestly, I love just driving and not having a set schedule and just taking in the scenery as it comes and seeing places along the way.

I wish we had taken more road trip when was younger, but Nonna gets car sick very easily so it probably was a major factor. I don't think we would have fond memories of those trips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter