"But the flights are so good..." An August 2017 PTR! Finished 7/31!

DisneyMandC

DIS Veteran
Hello all! I'm Melissa! You may know me from my last trip report where I took everyone on our adventures on our Disneymoon at AKL in April 2015! If you're new here, thanks for joining in!

Before I jump into the details of our trip, I thought I'd write a little bit about me and my family!

Me and DH:

12494813_10205436688947719_80951289466862612_n (2).jpg

Married for a little over two years now! I grew up in a Disney family and went every couple years when I was little, usually staying at Wilderness Lodge or Fort Wilderness Campground. Our Disneymoon was DH's first real on-site stay at WDW. We took a couple short, off-site trips in the past, but Disney isn't Disney to me unless I'm full engulfed in the on-site Disney bubble! The Disneymoon was actually DH's idea, as he had been very impressed on a past off-site trip by everything Disney had to offer. He really loves how everything "works" at Disney in terms of customer service and the behind the scenes work, so he really enjoyed our on-site stay.

The above photo is from our one-day trip to Disneyland while we were in CA in January 2016! Lots of fun, though we both agreed we prefer WDW.

Our dog, Russell:

15622703_10153932754057100_807711374547384035_n (1).jpg

Yes, we know he looks more like Dug! He's really a mixture of Russell and Dug from Up! though.

A couple of my Disney favorites:

Resort: Animal Kingdom Lodge (with Wilderness Lodge a close second!)
Park: Magic Kingdom (quintessential Disney)
Ride: Space Mountain
Restaurant: Le Cellier
Snack: Literally anything chocolate
Movie: Fantasia (classic) and Beauty and the Beast (modern)
Souvenirs: Pins and Christmas ornaments (me), Starbucks cups (him)

Up next, I'll get into the details of our trip!

pop-century-resort-3-12.jpg

Last edited:
How This Trip Came About!

So in May, DH and I were talking this spring about how we desperately needed a vacation- an actual week-long vacation. In the ten years we've been together, we've only been on two week-long vacations; once to Hawaii, and our honeymoon. Everything else has just been long weekends away! Since I have a four day work conference in August at an oceanfront resort (which DH can come to), we started discussing the possibility of adding a couple extra days on to the front of the conference to make it a week vacation for us. So, of course, my first thought was Disney! We were now over two years out from our Disneymoon, and I was having some serious Disney cravings that were not being assuaged by my frequent postings on the DIS!

miss-you-too.jpg

(This is how I imagine Disney World feels about me too)

I started checking out some options on the Disney World website. And by started, I mean that I'm frequently looking at and pricing Disney vacations on the website all the time :rolleyes1 Come on, you all know you do it too...

They were running the discounted room offers for the summer, so I started looking to see what a good option would be for us. I've always stayed in deluxe resorts or the campgrounds, usually because other people were making the decisions, but had no problem with staying at a value or moderate resort. While I enjoy deluxe resorts, we are definitely the type of people to be out of our room at the parks all day, so I don't put a lot of value in the features of our room or pools for hanging out at.

As "budget" was the name of the game for our vacation, I started looking at values. I wasn't particularly interested in All-Star resorts, as the theming didn't really appeal to me and I'd heard of some transportation delays with the resorts sharing buses. Art of Animation looks fantastic, but the price tag! :eek: :faint: Why don't they quit kidding themselves and go ahead and put this in the moderate category... There were several rooms at Caribbean and Port Orleans cheaper than the rooms here. That left Pop Century. My only experience with Pop Century was Magical Express dropping people of at this resort prior to taking us to AKL on our honeymoon. I knew it was huuuuuge but nothing beyond that.

I checked around on the Resorts board and there seemed to be a lot of good reviews of Pop and it looked like the transportation was pretty good. So I checked the price- $119 a night for a standard room!! :hyper: This seemed like a great deal. We floated the idea of staying off-site at a hotel, but once we factored in the prices of nearby hotels plus the cost of either a) renting a car, or b) Ubering everywhere, we would actually come out ahead by staying ON property.

The biggest piece of our vacation puzzle (and the title of this report!) was how we were going to actually get to Disney. We are not so far away that we couldn't drive, but it would eat up a whole park day for us, which is obviously not a great idea when you're only spending a couple days at Disney. Our local airport isn't tiny, but it's not a major hub either. We used to have fantastic direct Southwest flights that left early in the morning and came back late at night so you could get maximum park time, but they stopped those last year :( I knew that if I couldn't find a really great flight, I wasn't going to waste the money to go all the way to Disney when half of my days would be spent travelling!

And then... I found it! The holy grail of flights!! JetBlue now does a direct flight leaving at 7:30 AM and returning at 7:30 PM! Flights to MCO from our airport are about two hours, putting us into the park early enough in the day that we would get almost a full park day in! I talked with DH about it and we decided that with those flights, we would be willing to go ahead and book our quick getaway Disney vacation!

Up next... what we've actually booked!

"I'm Actually Dialing the Number for Disney World Right Now"

So after finding the magical flights that would actually make booking a trip worthwhile, it was time to actually book with Disney. As I said, this all happened in the spring- May to be exact. So any sort of 180-day window on ADRs was long gone. I knew I wanted to book in time to get FP+ at the 60 day window, so DH and I started to plan out what we would actually book for our trip. We both agreed that Pop was definitely by far the best value for our money, so we needed to figure out our ticket options and how we wanted to plan our days. I knew that I wanted to see Pandora (even though I, uhhh, haven't actually seen Avatar :sad2:) and that I DEFINITELY wanted to see Happily Ever After. I watched the live stream of the first night of Happily Ever After and was honestly completely blown away by it. So AK and MK were definitely on my list. I also wanted to see Disney Springs since last time we were there it was still Downtown Disney, and was undergoing some serious construction.

We are typically Parkhopper purchasers, but I started thinking about it and wasn't really sure it made sense for this trip. I had a whole new world to explore at AK, plus DH has always loved that park enough that it's never been a half-day park for us. And obviously, MK is a full day park and I wanted to be there for HEA. Not to mention the added cost of parkhoppers :scared1: As I said, budget was the name of the game for this trip! I talked to DH and decided that our best option based on the flight times and what we wanted to accomplish would be to do a two-day ticket for our three day trip.

Our flight would arrive at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday morning and we'd plan to drop our bags at Pop and immediately head to AK for the day/night (heeeeey EMH until midnight)! On Wednesday, we'd get up and head to MK for rope drop at 9:00 a.m. and stay there all day (again, EMH til midnight!). On Thursday, we would spend the day at Disney Springs to see what it has to offer. And then it's back home :sad: but at least I get to head to the beach immediately!

With the details hammered down, all I had left to do was call Disney and book. I always prefer to call rather than do it online. As I discussed in my previous trip report, we had a SUPER helpful CM book us our room at AKL. I know that not all of the call center people work in Orlando, but this guy actually does and spends a lot of time in the parks. I was originally going to book a split stay for our honeymoon and he talked me out of it and ended up booking me an incredible room at with a view of the animals at AKL for under what I was actually expecting to pay. But I digress...

So, after work, I came home and watched Saving Mr. Banks with DH (what a great movie) and then picked up my phone and called WDW. At which point I looked at DH and said "this is your last opportunity to back out, I'm actually dialing the number for Disney World right now." :woohoo: He was excited for the trip too though, so no complaints from him!

After entering all my info, I was connected with a CM. I feel like it might have been the quickest Disney reservations phone call in history, because I was basically just like "hi, I want a preferred room Pop Century for two nights, and two day tickets, no parkhopper, please. Also no Memory Maker." She offered the dining plan as well, but I wasn't sure if we were going to pull the trigger on that yet or not. We LOVE the DDP (obviously, just like at the title of my last TR), but I didn't know if it would be worth it for such a short trip. I declined DDP for the time being, and she said I could just call back and purchase it any time if I did want it. I didn't have my flight info on hand either, but she put down that we would be taking Magical Express and said just to call back with the flight info.

While on the phone, I received the official e-mail- "Thank You for Booking at WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort!" :flower1:

To recap, here's the line-up:

3 days/2 nights at Pop Century, 2-day tickets, one day at Disney Springs

August 1: Arrive at MCO at 9:30 a.m. Take Magical Express and leave bags at Pop Century. Head straight to Animal Kingdom until forever (also known as midnight).
August 2: Rope Drop at MK at 9:00 a.m. Spend all day basking in the glory of Disney. Leave at midnight and not a minute earlier.
August 3: Go to Disney Springs and (window) shop until my heart is content. Fly out at 7:30.

Woooooohooooooo!!!

Last edited:
All caught up!

You have a REALLY good touring plan for three days! That's exactly what I would do if I was in your situation- Animal Kingdom to see Pandora, Magic Kingdom because duh, and Disney Springs because I love it so much! It's changed so much and I know you're going to love it.

I've never called to make a reservation before (we usually do it online or through a TA), but you make it sound like it was a breeze! Maybe we'll have to phone in next time we want to go, too!

Our family is a die-hard DDP family and we didn't do the DDP during our 3-day January stay, either. It absolutely wouldn't have been worth it. It would have added so much money onto the package for basically 4 TS meals and 2 QS meals. Granted, one was a character breakfast, but it would have still been a lot more on the plan.

So excited to read more!

All caught up!

You have a REALLY good touring plan for three days! That's exactly what I would do if I was in your situation- Animal Kingdom to see Pandora, Magic Kingdom because duh, and Disney Springs because I love it so much! It's changed so much and I know you're going to love it.

I've never called to make a reservation before (we usually do it online or through a TA), but you make it sound like it was a breeze! Maybe we'll have to phone in next time we want to go, too!

Our family is a die-hard DDP family and we didn't do the DDP during our 3-day January stay, either. It absolutely wouldn't have been worth it. It would have added so much money onto the package for basically 4 TS meals and 2 QS meals. Granted, one was a character breakfast, but it would have still been a lot more on the plan.

So excited to read more!

Sooo... I might have accidentally booked DDP recently...

oops.gif
My first GIF in a TR! Hooray!

But honestly, I do totally agree with you! I think for many people DDP doesn't make sense, but I looked at the price and the restaurant menus for where we're going to eat for our trip and I think it will actually make sense for us. I'm going to keep track of our expenses while we're there on food and see how it measures up to the price of DDP. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it or not, but DH really wanted to do it. And usually if it involves Disney and he wants to do it, I go ahead and do it so I stay in his good graces for additional Disney trips later! :cutie:

I also had a few money-saving events occur that bolstered my decision to do DDP, which I'll discuss later :) I think with our ADRs and what DH said he wanted to order, we're going to come out ahead.

And yes, the CMs are sooo nice when you call in! Especially if there's something a little wonky about your trip or your plans, they can offer some really good ideas or tips!

Sooo... I might have accidentally booked DDP recently...

View attachment 249046
My first GIF in a TR! Hooray!

But honestly, I do totally agree with you! I think for many people DDP doesn't make sense, but I looked at the price and the restaurant menus for where we're going to eat for our trip and I think it will actually make sense for us. I'm going to keep track of our expenses while we're there on food and see how it measures up to the price of DDP. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it or not, but DH really wanted to do it. And usually if it involves Disney and he wants to do it, I go ahead and do it so I stay in his good graces for additional Disney trips later! :cutie:

I also had a few money-saving events occur that bolstered my decision to do DDP, which I'll discuss later :) I think with our ADRs and what DH said he wanted to order, we're going to come out ahead.

And yes, the CMs are sooo nice when you call in! Especially if there's something a little wonky about your trip or your plans, they can offer some really good ideas or tips!

OH NO!!! Okay, disregard my comments!!

It sounds like DDP was right for your family in that case, and I'm happy that you booked it after all! Especially if there were money-saving events (which I can't wait to hear about) and ADRs (which I REALLY can't wait to hear about!)

Dining Plans- Help Me Out!

So let me just start by saying that we LOVE Disney dining. We had the deluxe dining plan on our honeymoon trip, and boy… did we eat. A lot. Like I gained 7 pounds from our wedding day to the end of our trip…

booboo.jpg

We obviously wouldn’t have time for all those great meals on this trip, so our general dining plan is to do quick service for lunch and table service for dinner. I know that we could get by cheaper doing just quick service, but we really enjoy table service restaurants and I knew that on the hot August days we were going to definitely want a long break in the AC to cool down and regroup at dinner before going back out for EMH.

So, for our Animal Kingdom day...
600-treeoflife.jpg

After booking our trip, I decided to start looking at some ADR options, knowing I would have limited choices being so far out. Well, actually I started looking at dining options before I ever booked our trip… and may have booked a reservation for Jiko before booking the trip… Don’t act like you guys haven’t done it either! :magnify:

Anyways, the Jiko reservation didn’t last. My original thought was that on our AK day we could run over to AKL and get dinner at Jiko, since disaster struck our last time we tried to eat at Jiko.
shining.gif
This is what I imagine must have happened at Jiko in order for the whole restaurant to have been shut down on a Saturday night.

I ended up talking to some people on the Restaurant board and reconsidered my Jiko reservation though. Someone pointed out that Jiko was a little fancier, and we would be coming from all day in the parks and probably be a little sweaty and not dressed our best, which is a very valid point. I wasn’t going to go all the way back to Pop to change before dinner and then come all the way back to AKL. Plus, the idea of having to leave the park and come back, no matter how close, wasn’t really appealing to me.

After talking with DH, we decided to ditch that reservation and look for other options in the park. I considered Tiffins, but it was pretty pricy and also looked a little fancy. I talked to DH and he suggested we go to Yak and Yeti again, which we had gone to last trip and really enjoyed. The food portions there are HUGE! You definitely get a lot of bang for your buck there. We also had an amazing server last time we went, and we really enjoyed the general theming of the restaurant.

For our lunch at AK, I think we are going to try Flame Tree BBQ. I’ve read really good reviews and we both like BBQ. We’ve eaten at Restaurantosaurus before, but weren’t super impressed by it. I considered Satu’li Canteen, but I honestly didn’t see anything on the menu that looked super appetizing. Plus, it looks like Flame Tree mainly has samplers, so I’m wondering if we could split one of the larger samplers. Thoughts? Has anyone else done this?

magic-kingdom-7669.jpg

For our Magic Kingdom day, I really wasn’t sure what I wanted to try to get for dinner there. I knew about the new Jungle Cruise restaurant, but the menu wasn’t really knocking my socks off. I looked at some of the restaurants at the MK resorts, including Kona and Ohana. I would love to try Ohana, but the only times they had left were for around 9:00, which would have interfered with Happily Ever After which was my number one priority for the day. I considered Whispering Canyon Café, which I’ve enjoyed before on a family trip, but I knew DH would super not be into that atmosphere.

So I continued to play around looking for dinner availability in Magic Kingdom.

And then… I found it… the Holy Grail.

holy-grail.jpg

YES, Y’ALL. I got a Be Our Guest dinner reservation!!! I literally don’t even know how this happened. I just saw a time pop up and immediately booked it in a blazing fast glory before anyone else could steal it from me. And now it’s all mine!!!

elaine.gif

So anyways, I ended up getting a 4:05 dinner reservation for Be Our Guest. 4:05 isn’t exactly my ideal time to eat dinner, but I figured I had the reservation now and that’s all that mattered. Since then I’ve continued checking the website to see if any later times would pop up, but I haven’t seen a thing so far (which makes me extra happy that I DID book the 4:05 time).

DH and I ate at BOG the first night of our honeymoon and lovedddd it. It was one of our favorite meals of the entire trip, plus we both like Beauty and the Beast. I wasn’t sure how DH would feel about the timing of this meal being so early, but he has assured me multiple times that he would rather eat there early than not be able to eat there at all.

So, to whoever canceled their 4:05 dinner reservation at BOG on August 2—Thank you!!

thanks.gif

In light of our early dinner, we are planning to do an early quick service lunch, possibly splitting something. I would love some input here on everyone’s favorite QS, particularly in terms of the biggest meal options for two people to split. I’m thinking Pinocchio Village Haus or Columbia Harbor House. We’ve never eaten at Pinocchio, and we’ve only done Columbia for our KTTK tour which was just sort of the preordered chicken tenders or fried shrimp meals. Or if you have other good quick service suggestions on splitting things, let me know!

For our third and final day, we wanted to do breakfast in the morning to take up the time before Disney Springs opens at 10. This selection was a no brainer for us, even though it’s a bit (ok, a lot) out of the way- Boma! We loved Boma’s breakfast buffet when we ate there the second day of our honeymoon, so we knew we had to go back.

We’ll plan to head to Disney Springs straight after breakfast and shop for a while. I would love to hear some suggestions from you guys on quick service meals from here too! I really don’t know the first thing about what Disney Springs has or what’s good now, so I definitely want to hear your recommendations for lunch options before we have to leave!

So, in short form:

Day One: Breakfast at airport Starbucks, lunch at Flame Tree BBQ, dinner at Yak and Yeti. Give me some great recommendations for snacks at AK! Dole Whip, duh, but would love to hear other suggestions of your favorite snacks!

Day Two: Some sort of bakery treat for breakfast, lunch at a QS restaurant (TBD by you all!), and dinner at Be Our Guest!

Day Three: Breakfast at Boma, Lunch at Disney Springs!

Next up- Our Disney Dining Plan purchase experiment!​

miss-you-too-jpg.248847

(This is how I imagine Disney World feels about me too)

This is my favorite! Haha I'm going to start imagining they feel this way about me too. Following!

As "budget" was the name of the game for our vacation, I started looking at values. I wasn't particularly interested in All-Star resorts, as the theming didn't really appeal to me and I'd heard of some transportation delays with the resorts sharing buses. Art of Animation looks fantastic, but the price tag! :eek: :faint: Why don't they quit kidding themselves and go ahead and put this in the moderate category... There were several rooms at Caribbean and Port Orleans cheaper than the rooms here. That left Pop Century. My only experience with Pop Century was Magical Express dropping people of at this resort prior to taking us to AKL on our honeymoon. I knew it was huuuuuge but nothing beyond that.

This was our process of elimination for our trip back in January. I was like, All-Stars? eh... AoA? :confused3 Why are you in the value category... much as my fiance would like to stay there. We did walk over one morning and check out the buildings/themes. Pop - no shared transportation? Seems to be most people's favorite value? Okay!

We had a preferred room in the 50s section. I really liked Pop. We're planning on going again in January, and I'd like to sneak down for a weekend to see Christmas decor... we'll see. It'll depend on the budget! Maybe it can be a student loan payoff celebration; we're getting so close...

We used to have fantastic direct Southwest flights that left early in the morning and came back late at night so you could get maximum park time, but they stopped those last year :(
Nooooo SW! They tend to be my go-to airline, because they are typically the best times/prices. What a bummer they took away your flights! Recently we've strayed to Spirit (was good for DEN-PHX) and Frontier (avoiding except for extreme circumstances in the future :rotfl:). I see lots of good things on here about Jet Blue, but I don't think they run our routes really.

I knew that I wanted to see Pandora (even though I, uhhh, haven't actually seen Avatar :sad2:)
Have you seen Pocahontas? Imagine it with blue people... and you've seen Avatar! :rotfl: But really, if you get a chance to watch Avatar, afterwards google something like comparing Pocahontas and Avatar, and a really great typed plot line will come up, with a few handwritten changes.
Not to mention the added cost of parkhoppers :scared1:
Every time I switched between hoppers and nonhoppers I shuddered over prices. APs worked out better for our plans, so I was spared the decision :laughing:

I'm a nerd, so I'll be anxiously awaiting your numbers :)

I talked to DH and he suggested we go to Yak and Yeti again, which we had gone to last trip and really enjoyed. The food portions there are HUGE! You definitely get a lot of bang for your buck there. We also had an amazing server last time we went, and we really enjoyed the general theming of the restaurant.

For our lunch at AK, I think we are going to try Flame Tree BBQ. I’ve read really good reviews and we both like BBQ. We’ve eaten at Restaurantosaurus before, but weren’t super impressed by it. I considered Satu’li Canteen, but I honestly didn’t see anything on the menu that looked super appetizing. Plus, it looks like Flame Tree mainly has samplers, so I’m wondering if we could split one of the larger samplers. Thoughts? Has anyone else done this?
We are the same person here too, for QS lol. I'm excited for Yak n Yeti too!
YES, Y’ALL. I got a Be Our Guest dinner reservation!!! I literally don’t even know how this happened. I just saw a time pop up and immediately booked it in a blazing fast glory before anyone else could steal it from me. And now it’s all mine!!!
:cool1:

We had a preferred room in the 50s section.

We booked a preferred room and put in a request for the 70s building! I'm hoping to get one of the rooms in the preferred block overlooking the playground area, since that seems to be the closest to transportation, which is really my main concern.

Nooooo SW! They tend to be my go-to airline, because they are typically the best times/prices. What a bummer they took away your flights!

I was so upset when I heard this! I know a lot of people don't like them because of the "cattle call" boarding process, but I've always liked them. Jet Blue is fine too though. Hopefully we have no delays or anything, but I've had good luck flying out on early morning flights since the storms don't usually roll in until the afternoon.

Have you seen Pocahontas? Imagine it with blue people... and you've seen Avatar! :rotfl: But really, if you get a chance to watch Avatar, afterwards google something like comparing Pocahontas and Avatar, and a really great typed plot line will come up, with a few handwritten changes.

I've heard this same thing, but with Fern Gully! I remember my friends all went to see the movie and loved it when it came out. I think they even paid to see it in 3-D and IMAX and whatnot. I looked and it's coming on TV this coming Tuesday, so I'm going to Tivo it for us to watch before the trip!

Disney Dining Plan (and why I chose to buy it)

So when I initially booked our trip, I did not book a dining plan. I really didn’t know if it would be a good value for us on such a short trip, even though we’ve done it before and it has been. I was initially thinking we’d just hit up a bunch of quick service restaurants and be done with it, but then my success in finding ADRs I wanted on such a short notice changed that plan.

When I let DH know about the reservations I’d gotten, he told me he wanted to do the dining plan. I was a little resistant, but I was willing to look into it to see what would be the best use of our money. We had purchased the deluxe plan for our honeymoon, and there’s absolutely no question we got our money’s worth out of that. We one of you orders the most expensive meal on the menu at each restaurant, you’re guaranteed to come out ahead!

P.S. I might have eaten steak three times along with three different cheese/charcuterie boards. I WAS HUNGRY, Y’ALL.
5195b366dd971eb02c0e9a9f92e4f620.gif

I should tell y’all that food is the one area in any of our vacations, Disney or otherwise, where I’m not willing to do a very tight budget. I totally applaud the people willing to bring sandwiches into the parks or head back to their room to cook up some mac and cheese in the microwave, but it’s just not who we are. We really enjoy eating great food, and when we’re on vacation we’re going to enjoy ourselves and have an appetizer or dessert with our meals. Neither of us drink, at all, so I figure the money we save in life by not drinking can buy me a dessert every once in a while!

So, I did some research and discovered that the dining plan works out to about $69.35 per person, per day. I looked at menus for the restaurants we planned to go to so I could get rough ideas of what we would order to know if paying out of pocket would be better for us. I knew, for example, DH would get the steak at Be Our Guest, and I would probably want the shrimp and scallops. These items ALONE, without beverages, would put us at $64. I looked at the menu for Yak and Yeti as well. While I didn’t know for sure what we would want there, I estimated that our meal would probably approach $50 just for the main courses. And yes, while I know there are cheaper ways to dine and we could split meals, etc., that’s just not how we like to vacation.

Considering that our table service meals alone we’re pushing us close to the $69 mark, and we still needed to eat lunch and get some snacks for breakfast, I talked it over with DH and decided to go ahead and purchase it. DH really, really wanted it, since he enjoys the simplicity of having everything preloaded, prepaid, and ready to go when we get there. So, $275 later and we are ready to go on all of our delicious meals at Disney! I am planning to keep track of our receipts and what the price of our meals and snacks would have actually been, that way I can see if we came out ahead or not.

By the way, today marks THREE WEEKS until we leave!!
tumblr_nk1wq4IgM91s4vu7ho1_500.gif

Last edited:
Hello all! Sorry for the long delay in updating! I can't believe I haven't checked in in two weeks, but I've been SWAMPED with work and traveling out of state, so it's been a little busy!

I promise I'm going to update with my Fastpass choices either today or tomorrow. But in the meantime...

I'LL BE IN DISNEY WORLD IN EXACTLY ONE WEEK!!!

snl.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter