Buy prescription eyeglasses online

Have done it for years, got my prescription written down after an eye test and took it straight to the internet. I have used two sites, zenni optical and goggles4u. Been pleased with results from both websites. If you have a favorite pair of eyeglasses, you can measure that frame and use those figures as a reference when looking at new frames online. I've purchased several pairs over the years, so I can keep a spare pair in the car, my backpack, my wife's car, etc (at those prices, it was a no-brainer for me). Prescription sunglasses are also reasonable, especially if you catch one of their many deals or promotions.

The only thing "funky" that the online form might ask for that may not be on your prescription is pupillary distance (PD). I just eyeballed it (pun intended) with a ruler help up against my face to measure the distance between my pupils. No issues for me.

I had a bad experience: The lenses were PERFECT, but the "arms" -- sorry, don't know correct terms -- were too short, and they gave me headaches. I took them to the place at the mall and asked them to adjust them (they do that for anyone for free), and there just wasn't enough "arm" there to have a hook around my ear.
Eyeglasses are something that needs to be fitted to you personally. I would not buy again online.

I’ve bought from zenni and had good luck. I usually wear contacts and only use glasses at night and in the morning so it was worth the risk for me. I just made sure I measured well. I then bought some for my son and he’s had no complaints except right now they are lost...again :mad:

Thank you, I got my first pair from the doctor ($300) and would like some cheaper for back-ups and sunglasses. My prescription is pretty simple I think (not bifocal or progressive). I will keep in mind the temple length.

I have not, but I have heard really good things about zenni. I am tempted to do it for dd to get a spare pair and a pair of sunglasses. I think they have their own version of ones that darken in the sun, like transitions. They are so inexpensive, so I would love to get some "just in case" glasses.

This has been discussed before, and I still do not understand how they can know where to put the center of your correction in the lense if they don't do all the measurements they do at the dispensing optician.

We bought my sons glasses from glassesUSA - he's been in glasses for years and just wanted a particular style that we couldn't find. It was very easy to get the measurements from the optician and we compared them with his glasses sizes from the previous year. The fit was great and he is very happy. I thought the processing time was a little slow, and I swear there is a tiny flaw in the bottom corner of the frame in one spot but he woulnd't let me really look at it. For the very cheap price we paid we are very happy.

My husband bought prescription sunglasses online and is also very happy. For him we measured with a ruler and then used the measurements from his favorite pair of glasses. His prescription is very strong and he's very picky and he's happy with the sunglasses. Again though, the processing/delivery time was pretty slow.

I have used zenni optical multiple times with no issue. I too wear contacts mainly so just needed a cheap pair for bedtime/morning.

You have to know your pupillary distance but you can get that from the eye doctor you ordered the other pair from, as they had to measure it at the time you bought them. They might argue giving it to you at first but they legally can’t keep it from you.

DH just did it for the first time this week. He used Warby Parker, which sends you five pairs of frames to try on at home. You can send them back and get five more until you find the right one. Then he sent a pdf of his script and the glasses arrived in like three days. Total cost was $125. Styles were very fashionable and DH is happy. He works in Manhattan and spent something like $800 on his previous pair, so this is a steal and the whole process went well. He is happy with the lenses and is planning to buy a pair of prescription sunglasses from them, too. My dear friend uses eyebuydirect. No at home try on, but it sounds like there is a return policy. And it seems to be a little cheaper.

Not the fault of the websites... but the prescription I had lacked the necessary information to order. There were some numbers missing. I cannot remember for sure what all was missing, but it was more than just the pupillary distance thing. To make matters worse, I have now lost the actual piece of paper the prescription is printed on :o

Not the fault of the websites... but the prescription I had lacked the necessary information to order. There were some numbers missing. I cannot remember for sure what all was missing, but it was more than just the pupillary distance thing. To make matters worse, I have now lost the actual piece of paper the prescription is printed on :o

You should be able to go back to the place where you had your eye exam performed and request a copy of your latest prescription.

You should be able to go back to the place where you had your eye exam performed and request a copy of your latest prescription.

I figure there is a good chance they would give me another copy. It is just the hassle of going back and talking to them that bothers me :rotfl2:

This has been discussed before, and I still do not understand how they can know where to put the center of your correction in the lense if they don't do all the measurements they do at the dispensing optician.

I am new to glasses but isn't this the pupil distance? I do have that from the doctor. Some of the websites tell you how to measure at home. I bet someone on here knows.

I figure there is a good chance they would give me another copy. It is just the hassle of going back and talking to them that bothers me :rotfl2:
Just call them up and ask them to have a copy ready to go at the desk. Then all you have to do is pop in and grab it.

Just call them up and ask them to have a copy ready to go at the desk. Then all you have to do is pop in and grab it.

This is my problem too. Local eye dr. I have gone to for a while. I have bought glasses from him in the past and now he expects me to use his shop. I feel bad asking form my prescription, like I am cheating on him.

We fill ours at Costco.

This is my problem too. Local eye dr. I have gone to for a while. I have bought glasses from him in the past and now he expects me to use his shop. I feel bad asking form my prescription, like I am cheating on him.

I hear you on that. I almost feel guilty for not buying the glasses at the eye doctor’s office.

Yes, it totally makes me feel guilty. I know they handed me a paper prescription that day, but I also bought glasses right there from them. They will know I am cheating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter