buying a 25 point add on

Wow, makes you really think.

If one doesn't have the immediate need for the points it really doesn't matter that resale takes longer. And if buying a larger amount of points the savings will still be in the thousands of dollars which IMO is worth the patience - there's really nothing active about the process consuming your time.

I on the other hand had a direct purchase take longer than a resale! It was an exception of course but still, it happened. :goodvibes

If one doesn't have the immediate need for the points it really doesn't matter that resale takes longer. And if buying a larger amount of points the savings will still be in the thousands of dollars which IMO is worth the patience - there's really nothing active about the process consuming your time.

I on the other hand had a direct purchase take longer than a resale! It was an exception of course but still, it happened. :goodvibes
IMO it does but the issues likely balance. On one hand, something that makes one spend more time and get educated is a good thing. However, time is money as they say even if you get the same points.

We got put on the AKL Oct waitlist for 25pts on 8/7. Hopeful to get it before Oct 1, but not banking on it either. Our guide said it's usually less than 30 days for AKL.

We have a 100 pt resale BLT contact.

We got put on the AKL Oct waitlist for 25pts on 8/7. Hopeful to get it before Oct 1, but not banking on it either. Our guide said it's usually less than 30 days for AKL.

Do you have a specific plan for those 25 points? What I'm getting at is if you don't plan on using them by themselves at 11 months, there is no advantage to owning there. 25 points doesn't go very far. Keep in mind the value rooms are very difficult to get even right at 11 months, so make sure your plan is for standard view.

Do you have a specific plan for those 25 points? What I'm getting at is if you don't plan on using them by themselves at 11 months, there is no advantage to owning there. 25 points doesn't go very far. Keep in mind the value rooms are very difficult to get even right at 11 months, so make sure your plan is for standard view.
Hi, I appreciate your providing knowledge. There are so many people who buy in before having a plan.

We've done a lot of research. We know SSR is cheaper ($500 less for the same number of points and the annual fees are less) for 25 points, and that standard rooms at both resorts won't necessarily require home advantage. Especially since these points will be for the random in-between trips, for a studio for a few nights with banking and borrowing. We do typically plan a year in advance and mostly vacation in fall/winter. That will likely shift as our kid gets older.

Our logical sides kept telling us to buy SSR for our add-on for the small $$ savings (we'd definitely go that route if we were doing a large contract like 100+), but our hearts won out. We really weren't fans of SSR when we walked around it and, being from the Northeast, we have tons of hotels that emulate that look. We've stayed at AKL twice and we LOVE it there. In the end, we decided the option to assure staying at the place we love, with possibility of value or club level if we planned far enough in advance, was worth the small extra cost.

Well, I guess 30 days was excessive. Our guide just called and took our credit card and we'll have our points shortly. After the 6 months + of resale, this feels too fast! Hah.

In case anyone is curious, closing costs were $107.90 for 25 points at AKL and our guide said we'd be able to bank the points despite being well past the deadline.

Last edited:
Hi, I appreciate your providing knowledge. There are so many people who buy in before having a plan.

We've done a lot of research. We know SSR is cheaper ($500 less for the same number of points and the annual fees are less) for 25 points, and that standard rooms at both resorts won't necessarily require home advantage. Especially since these points will be for the random in-between trips, for a studio for a few nights with banking and borrowing. We do typically plan a year in advance and mostly vacation in fall/winter. That will likely shift as our kid gets older.

Our logical sides kept telling us to buy SSR for our add-on for the small $$ savings (we'd definitely go that route if we were doing a large contract like 100+), but our hearts won out. We really weren't fans of SSR when we walked around it and, being from the Northeast, we have tons of hotels that emulate that look. We've stayed at AKL twice and we LOVE it there. In the end, we decided the option to assure staying at the place we love, with possibility of value or club level if we planned far enough in advance, was worth the small extra cost.

Cool. Just wanted to make sure you didn't make the same mistake I did. I bOught 25 direct at BCV after buying 150 VGF resale. The 25 points don't go very far. I should have bought 50.

Sure, I could buy 25 more direct again, but I don't think DW will let me now. My window of opportunity has likely closed.

Live and learn.

Currently on the waitlist for a small add on at Boulder Ridge, August Use Year. Anyone have any luck or info on any points opening up?

Just wondering If you got your points? We had a BRV August use year contract taken last week. Hope they went to you!

I asked my guide about a small add on at BLT....said he'd have to put me on a waitlist. Since I have a September use year - I wonder if they would "magically" have points after September 1st? LOL

Just wondering If you got your points? We had a BRV August use year contract taken last week. Hope they went to you!
Thank you, thats pretty generous of you. However, I did not get them. I just was looking over the ROFR forum to see if anything had been taken and saw your contract. I'm sorry you didn't get it. Looks like someone ahead of me got lucky.

Thank you, thats pretty generous of you. However, I did not get them. I just was looking over the ROFR forum to see if anything had been taken and saw your contract. I'm sorry you didn't get it. Looks like someone ahead of me got lucky.

Well we just sent another August UY today. It will be interesting to see how it plays out!

Well we just sent another August UY today. It will be interesting to see how it plays out!
Good luck to you. It is such a long drawn out process, it can really wear on your nerves. But hopefully, this one will work!

I asked my guide about a small add on at BLT....said he'd have to put me on a waitlist. Since I have a September use year - I wonder if they would "magically" have points after September 1st? LOL

I call last week to add on to my BWV September UY. Was told they did not have any points and was added to the waitlist. A few days later the points became available.

You might consider pestering your guide once a week. The waitlist doesn't seem to be a true waitlist. Squeaky wheel gets the grease from what I can tell.

I wouldn't let $500 either way make the decision without considering the other components. Owning AKV and preferring there, I'd spend the extra to get the same home resort for $500 but there would be a point where I might not. It partly depends on what I planned/could do with the extra points. I'd be tempted to buy more resale up front and HH or SSR as the retail purchase. The choice of SSR would be as much related to dues as the up front but the differences would be additive. It's just not enough difference to matter or cause one to complicate life.

I wouldn't let $500 either way make the decision without considering the other components. Owning AKV and preferring there, I'd spend the extra to get the same home resort for $500 but there would be a point where I might not. It partly depends on what I planned/could do with the extra points. I'd be tempted to buy more resale up front and HH or SSR as the retail purchase. The choice of SSR would be as much related to dues as the up front but the differences would be additive. It's just not enough difference to matter or cause one to complicate life.
Our thoughts exactly! We own BLT from resale, so we're covered for the bigger trips. The 25 is mostly for in between and the AP discount.

Well, I guess 30 days was excessive. Our guide just called and took our credit card and we'll have our points shortly. After the 6 months + of resale, this feels too fast! Hah.

In case anyone is curious, closing costs were $107.90 for 25 points at AKL and our guide said we'd be able to bank the points despite being well past the deadline.

This is great! I just called today to be added to the waitlist for AKL, Oct UY. We're looking to add-on 25 as well! The guide said there are 7 people ahead of me, but said the other ones waiting are for larger contracts. He said the smaller ones go a little faster! Hope that's true! Either way we're in no hurry. Keeping fingers crossed.

This is great! I just called today to be added to the waitlist for AKL, Oct UY. We're looking to add-on 25 as well! The guide said there are 7 people ahead of me, but said the other ones waiting are for larger contracts. He said the smaller ones go a little faster! Hope that's true! Either way we're in no hurry. Keeping fingers crossed.
We are October, too, so hopefully you hear soon! I already have the points banked and MS is trying to change our existing Feb reservation onto the new points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter