Buying resale through Fidelity Timeshares

*** When you say that you lowballed the offer to make up for the admin fees..... how much lower than asking price did you go?? That is if you don't mind me asking... I am trying to figure out if I want to try and put in an offer through these guys are continue to look around!!!

If you're not in a hurry, ultimately you should just decide how much you think a contract is worth and make an offer, independent of the asking price. You never know what the seller will accept. If you think a contract is worth $80 pp and someone is listing at $100 pp, I would offer $80 pp or a few bucks under. If they are listing at $85 pp, I would probably still offer $80 pp. If the listing price is unreasonably high, I don't really consider it "lowballing" to make a low offer. A couple other considerations:

How to decide what a contract is worth? The thing to remember is that the listing prices don't necessarily determine the market value of a contract. In the end, it's what contracts are SELLING for that's important. It's really useful to look at the various DVC sites and see the contracts that are "sold" or "sale pending" and note the prices. And keep in mind that the final negotiated price is often lower than what is actually listed there. Also, look at a DVC search engine like www.**********.com and sort the contracts by price per point. It doesn't include Fidelity unfortunately, but includes some of the other major DVC resales companies. You'll notice there's a certain price floor that most listings will congregate, and occasionally you'll see some contracts drift below that price. At some price point, you'll see contracts get purchased relatively quickly. You know they were purchased because they disappear from the list, or sometimes you have to click on the listing and go back to where they have the grid of listings. For some reason, they often don't note that a sale is pending anywhere on the actual listing, you have to go to the page where the have all the listings displayed.

For example, check www.**********.com, go to Grand Californian listings. There are 36 or so. You'll see that the "average" listing is probably $145 pp, but again that doesn't really matter. Unless you really need a specific contract, I wouldn't pay $145 pp. What matters is that there's a bunch of contracts at $139-$140 pp, but very few below that. I've been watching VGC long enough to know that once the prices get below that point, they start moving a bit faster. There's one currently on there that is $132 pp with all 2016 points. I suspect that one will be gone soon if it isn't already, so I wouldn't be trying to be throwing out low offers on that one because someone else will probably take it near asking.

For VGC, it's easier to keep track of the specific contracts because there are so few of them, but it's probably a lot more complicated with something like SSR. If you're really hardcore about it, you would probably have to track them on a spreadsheet or something, unless you have a really good memory.

A couple other things to keep in mind:
- smaller contracts will be more expensive pp than larger contracts
- larger contracts (> 300 points) tend to move slowly and tend to sell for less, so you can probably be more aggressive with your offers
- the older the listing, the more the seller will be willing to negotiate
- certain Use Years may go for more than others. For example, for VGC, by my observations June UY is the most common one and tends to be cheaper. Uncommon UY might be harder to get a good deal, so you may need to pay more if you really want a specific UY.
- "loaded" contracts tend to be good deals if you can use the points (or rent them out)
- closing costs and who pays annual dues are also negotiable. Paying for annual dues doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's worth $5-6 per point.

Good luck!

I had a talk with fidelity about that very subject, and according to them, they are 1 of 2 recommended brokers by Dvc, which gives them the edge of truly knowing the market. According to fidelity they sold over $100,000,000.00 in DVC resales, by far the most.

If that's really is true I don't know, but they tend to list the properties lower, leaving little space to negotiate which is good I think. IMHO The closer the listing price is to the actual sales price the better the job the agent has done pricing the contract.

Regards
Don't believe everything you hear :-) I had a deal that didn't go though ( not because of me) and they were very unresponsive and honestly, didn't seem to know what they were doing. A while back when I contacted Disney about selling my contracts, they said that they were "no longer endorsing Fidelity, or anyone else".

I have used Fidelity twice with no issues at all. In fact I'm in the final stages of one now. They typically do have lower prices then some of the other brokers.
HOWEVER, they use First American Title & this firm adds fees to the closing cost. Ask Fidelity to use Magic Vacation Title instead.

Are you paying any other fees on top of the closing cost and admin fee? (The other poster mentioned her total closing and fees was near $900)

Just closed on a contract with Fidelity. The fees, other than the $195 admin fee are from the title company / closing agent NOT Fidelity.
First American Title charges $525 for closing, but adding on all the other closing / title fees brings the total to about $725 + Fidelity's $195 admin fee, on a 70 point contract.
If you use Fidelity, request that they use Magic Vacation Title instead and you'll save a couple hundred dollars. Also on smaller contracts take these fees into account when calculating total price per point. Our price was low enough and came with 2016 points so it still made sense to use them.

Don't believe everything you hear :-) I had a deal that didn't go though ( not because of me) and they were very unresponsive and honestly, didn't seem to know what they were doing. A while back when I contacted Disney about selling my contracts, they said that they were "no longer endorsing Fidelity, or anyone else".

You are so true, but it seems that not all CM's hold all the facts. According to: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-cfb-tourism-column-05232016-20160522-story.html

Disney is actually recommending to use at least 1 broker to sell customers unwanted DVC points.

I have used Fidelity twice with no issues at all. In fact I'm in the final stages of one now. They typically do have lower prices then some of the other brokers.
HOWEVER, they use First American Title & this firm adds fees to the closing cost. Ask Fidelity to use Magic Vacation Title instead.

If you ask them to use the other closing company will there then be no "on top" fees?

Regards

You are so true, but it seems that not all CM's hold all the facts. According to: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-cfb-tourism-column-05232016-20160522-story.html

Disney is actually recommending to use at least 1 broker to sell customers unwanted DVC points.

If you ask them to use the other closing company will there then be no "on top" fees?

Regards
Legally in Florida the buyer has to be allowed to choose the closing company. Typically a broker will have a relationship with one title company that they will tell you "they use" but my understanding (unless the law has changed) is that they cannot require you to use their preferred company. As far as fees go Fidelity will still charge their admin fee of $195 but there should not be a fee to use a different title company.
All of this being said in late 2014 we were negotiating on a contract with a seller through the timeshare store and wanted to use a specific title company (not the one they typically used). They allowed us to select the title company we wanted upon our insistence (which they recommended against due to their relationship with the suggested one and because it was an international seller). Then they told us the seller would not agree to the sale with the title company we wanted to use (which clearly they advised them against). We didn't want to use their standard company at the time because at the time there had been a lot of complaints here in the boards about them being back logged and they way they handled the FIRPTA tax forms (requiring the full SS# on them vs just the last 4 digits with the other company). So we didn't proceed with that sale.

Regards
In my experience, yes - Magic Vacation is about $200 less than First American. And as someone else said, you have the right to determine what closing agent / title company is used.

I was told my fees where 525 and 195 Nothing else. There better not be any other fees, I was given a total price of points,maintenance fee, closing, and admin fee. Now I am not a fan of the admin fee, but I got a good deal on the price per points, plus it came with extra points. I am waiting ROFR right now, when it all comes back and we move forward I will post what my final payment was. If they start adding more fees then I am out!!!.

Yes please let us know what happens. I did accept the extra fees because it was a good deal even with them added in. However, I was NOT happy and let both Fidelity and First American know about it!!

*** When you say that you lowballed the offer to make up for the admin fees..... how much lower than asking price did you go?? That is if you don't mind me asking... I am trying to figure out if I want to try and put in an offer through these guys are continue to look around!!!

my advice is to figure out what the market price appears to be (use ROFR as a guide), and decide if that is good enough for you. If it is, I would then offer them at least $5 under market price and see what happens. Maybe even knock off $5 and say seller pays current MFs. If they don't counter, then walk away and move on to the next contract. Inventory appears to be moving slowly right now, so you can be bolder in your offers. I know one VGF listing that was originally at $145 (fairly loaded contract). I offered $130 and they countered at like $142. I told them $130 was my final offer. They passed. Two weeks later, that same listing ended up dropping their price to $130 and was pending. Not sure what they actually settled at.

Another tactic to try is to contact one of the agents that has many listings and just tell them what you'd be willing to pay per point for various listings, and ask them to contact their sellers, and the first seller to accept has a deal. Please note that I couldn't get an agent to do this -- the one I tried it on said they only submit one offer at a time. I tried to let him know I was serious and wanted to move quickly, but he said that isn't how they do things. He told me if I wanted to submit an official offer, he would gladly submit it -- one at a time -- but he wasn't going to submit an invitation for an offer.

While it didn't work for me, it doesn't hurt to try.

Also keep in mind that this isn't like buying house where each house is unique and you can become emotionally attached to a particular house. Aside from the actual points on the contract, pretty much everything is identical...and those points have a determinable value, so it's very easy to compare contract to contract (assuming you are talking about the same resort).

If you're not in a hurry, ultimately you should just decide how much you think a contract is worth and make an offer, independent of the asking price. You never know what the seller will accept. If you think a contract is worth $80 pp and someone is listing at $100 pp, I would offer $80 pp or a few bucks under. If they are listing at $85 pp, I would probably still offer $80 pp. If the listing price is unreasonably high, I don't really consider it "lowballing" to make a low offer. A couple other considerations:

How to decide what a contract is worth? The thing to remember is that the listing prices don't necessarily determine the market value of a contract. In the end, it's what contracts are SELLING for that's important. It's really useful to look at the various DVC sites and see the contracts that are "sold" or "sale pending" and note the prices. And keep in mind that the final negotiated price is often lower than what is actually listed there. Also, look at a DVC search engine like www.**********.com and sort the contracts by price per point. It doesn't include Fidelity unfortunately, but includes some of the other major DVC resales companies. You'll notice there's a certain price floor that most listings will congregate, and occasionally you'll see some contracts drift below that price. At some price point, you'll see contracts get purchased relatively quickly. You know they were purchased because they disappear from the list, or sometimes you have to click on the listing and go back to where they have the grid of listings. For some reason, they often don't note that a sale is pending anywhere on the actual listing, you have to go to the page where the have all the listings displayed.

For example, check www.**********.com, go to Grand Californian listings. There are 36 or so. You'll see that the "average" listing is probably $145 pp, but again that doesn't really matter. Unless you really need a specific contract, I wouldn't pay $145 pp. What matters is that there's a bunch of contracts at $139-$140 pp, but very few below that. I've been watching VGC long enough to know that once the prices get below that point, they start moving a bit faster. There's one currently on there that is $132 pp with all 2016 points. I suspect that one will be gone soon if it isn't already, so I wouldn't be trying to be throwing out low offers on that one because someone else will probably take it near asking.

For VGC, it's easier to keep track of the specific contracts because there are so few of them, but it's probably a lot more complicated with something like SSR. If you're really hardcore about it, you would probably have to track them on a spreadsheet or something, unless you have a really good memory.

A couple other things to keep in mind:
- smaller contracts will be more expensive pp than larger contracts
- larger contracts (> 300 points) tend to move slowly and tend to sell for less, so you can probably be more aggressive with your offers
- the older the listing, the more the seller will be willing to negotiate
- certain Use Years may go for more than others. For example, for VGC, by my observations June UY is the most common one and tends to be cheaper. Uncommon UY might be harder to get a good deal, so you may need to pay more if you really want a specific UY.
- "loaded" contracts tend to be good deals if you can use the points (or rent them out)
- closing costs and who pays annual dues are also negotiable. Paying for annual dues doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's worth $5-6 per point.

Good luck!

I actually created a spreadsheet for VGF with the current listings, which included how many points were available (loaded/stripped). The assumption was all contracts should have 2016 points. 2015 points were valued at $11 a point more and 2014 were valued at $6 a point if there was still time to use/rent them out after closing (factor in 3 months to get access to points). The amount you value older points is up to you. If 2016 or 2017 points were missing, I subtracted $15 a point in value (that's the cost for renting VGF points). After that, I totaled up the value of the contract and then divided by the number of points on the contract to get an adjusted price per point. Then I sorted the list and started making offers accordingly. From that, I could tell that loaded/not-stripped contracts VGF were going mostly between $125-$135 an adjusted point.

If you're going to do a spreadsheet -- best to start with www.***************.com and filter by resort. From there, you can copy and paste the results into a spreadsheet quite easily. It also shows when the contract was listed, so you have a good idea of how long it has been sitting around.

I was told my fees where 525 and 195 Nothing else. There better not be any other fees, I was given a total price of points,maintenance fee, closing, and admin fee. Now I am not a fan of the admin fee, but I got a good deal on the price per points, plus it came with extra points. I am waiting ROFR right now, when it all comes back and we move forward I will post what my final payment was. If they start adding more fees then I am out!!!.

I had a title company try to add the estoppel fee to my side. I let them know I wasn't going to pay that since it wasn't listed in the contract. The agent ended up taking it out of his commission (presumably b/c they forgot to tell the sellers that would be paid by the sellers -- and he didn't want to mess the deal up at that point).

Just closed on a contract with Fidelity. The fees, other than the $195 admin fee are from the title company / closing agent NOT Fidelity.
First American Title charges $525 for closing, but adding on all the other closing / title fees brings the total to about $725 + Fidelity's $195 admin fee, on a 70 point contract.
If you use Fidelity, request that they use Magic Vacation Title instead and you'll save a couple hundred dollars. Also on smaller contracts take these fees into account when calculating total price per point. Our price was low enough and came with 2016 points so it still made sense to use them.
Same here. Our closing cost estimate was $510 when we signed the contract. When it came time to close, the total charged by First American was $695. And that did NOT include the $195 Fidelity fee. We were not happy about that at all.

Same here. Our closing cost estimate was $510 when we signed the contract. When it came time to close, the total charged by First American was $695. And that did NOT include the $195 Fidelity fee. We were not happy about that at all.

Same here. Not real happy. We had a lower point contract so that really hurt. Thanks to you guys here, I was able to tell a family member to request ***.

these closing costs really are a racket. Considering these are essentially boiler plate documents that shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to prepare (and half the time they still screw something up), anything over $450 is really too much. And if you're a title company that "specializes" in these contracts, then you should be able to lower your prices even more since it is basically the same thing over and over and over and over. My guess is e-filing these with the county takes less than 15 minutes as well.

So 15 minutes to prepare the closing documents.
15 minutes to draft emails and send to the parties.
15 minutes to collect documents.
15 minutes to file with county.

So about 1 hour of time for closing and filing. Throw in another half hour for the ROFR stuff upfront, and you're still talking about a nice hourly fee.

why does Fidelity charge an administrative fee for the buyer? That makes no sense at all. They're making their money off the commission from the selling price.

Fidelity lists a 5% commission ("lowest in industry")...

so they've basically shifted $200 from the seller to the buyer. Not a bad strategy, since most buyers don't pay attention to the closing costs when comparing different deals. I know I didn't, since I assumed closing costs would pretty much be the same across the board (oops).

so they've basically shifted $200 from the seller to the buyer. Not a bad strategy, since most buyers don't pay attention to the closing costs when comparing different deals. I know I didn't, since I assumed closing costs would pretty much be the same across the board (oops).
That's a good point!

....(snip)..........why does Fidelity charge an administrative fee for the buyer? That makes no sense at all. They're making their money off the commission from the selling price.

At one time, this fee was charged to the seller. (Speculation was that it was to help cover the fees Fidelity paid to Disney to be the company to which Disney refers those who call wanting to sell). Some time ago, the fee was shifted to the buyer. Believe it was shifted to increase listings - apparently many would not list with Fidelity when none of the other brokers charged such a fee. Maybe buyers are more likely to "do the math" and offer based on total contract value.

IMO, it's just "additional dealer profit". You may not be old enough to remember when that used to be a line item on car sales. :)

I have a 160 point contract with Fidelity and I just got the closing costs and while they quoted $525 + $195 admin, the actual closing costs were $598.08 + $195. First American Title already prepared the documents. Do you think I can go back and ask for a different Title company on the basis that the charges were not represented accurately? I'd appreciate any advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter