Buying the kitchen a 6 pack?

AndreaDM

<font color=red>Yeah...we mainly colored that day<
Is this a new way of tipping the kitchen staff?? The last several times we've been out to dinner (Ohio but different cities) the menu (and even our server in one case) gave us the option of buying a 6 pack for the kitchen staff, anywhere from $6-$10. Do they just get that money if people do that or do they get an actual 6 pack?? I really want to know! First, tipping has gotten wayyyyy out of hand, second, do I want the people cooking my food to be drinking alcohol? Or do they save it for after work? Hmmm, if they ARE drinking and cooking, maybe that explains the Hepatitis A outbreak here in Ohio. Maybe this is something standard that's been going on for a while, but I've just noticed it the past 2 weeks.

Is this a new way of tipping the kitchen staff?? The last several times we've been out to dinner (Ohio but different cities) the menu (and even our server in one case) gave us the option of buying a 6 pack for the kitchen staff, anywhere from $6-$10. Do they just get that money if people do that or do they get an actual 6 pack?? I really want to know! First, tipping has gotten wayyyyy out of hand, second, do I want the people cooking my food to be drinking alcohol? Or do they save it for after work? Hmmm, if they ARE drinking and cooking, maybe that explains the Hepatitis A outbreak here in Ohio. Maybe this is something standard that's been going on for a while, but I've just noticed it the past 2 weeks.
Interesting! I haven't heard of it. But I do [personally] know of quite a few people who work in kitchens who have alcohol (and sometimes other, like drug and marriage) problems - because they drink together nightly after their shifts, often into the wee hours. Maybe there's a correlation!

Sounds like it is a way for the establishment to increase their bar income!

Right, but wouldn't that be a "tip" for the kitchen staff??
This is what I mean.

Why would I buy a 6-pack for the kitchen staff? Don't they get paid at least minimum wage? I thought my responsibility as a restaurant guest was to tip my server only, because they made less than the minimum wage.

(And if you want to get technical, you tip the bar, too.)

Am I supposed to tip the busser? The dishwasher?

I wonder if it is a take on buying a beer for the Chef/s at a sushi restaurant. I usually offer to buy a round for the chef/s if I am enjoying my meal. Sometimes they accept and sometimes they don't.

Probably not so much these days but back 20-30 years ago you probably didn’t eat a meal by a kitchen staff that *wasn’t* hammered.

Interesting! I haven't heard of it. But I do [personally] know of quite a few people who work in kitchens who have alcohol (and sometimes other, like drug and marriage) problems - because they drink together nightly after their shifts, often into the wee hours. Maybe there's a correlation!
It’s a real problem. Alcohol/Substance abuse is pretty rampant in kitchens.

I’m on the east coast and have never heard of it anywhere that we travel. (NY,NJ,PA,CT) I also worked in a restaurant one summer as a server and I tipped out a portion of what I made to the bartender, bus boys, and dishwashers. The kitchen staff were paid a better wage. Especially the chefs. That makes zero sense to me.

I was at a place in the recent past where they also had that...a sign that said we could tip the kitchen staff a 6 pack (it also said 'for after work'). I am east coast but cannot remember where this was as we moved from MD to NC and travel from PA, NJ all the way down to FL due to DDs travel team. It was somewhere on the east coast and it was an 'artsy' type place or 'hipster' or 'hippy' or 'eclectic'....whatever.

I have never heard of this and I'm in Ohio. In the last week I've eaten in Cleveland, Chicago, and Cincinnati and at not point was this presented as an option on my bill or by my waiter.

A local place has buy a round for the kitchen, they get a beer when the kitchen closes.

I've never heard of that!

We went out for sushi with a friend of ours and he bought drinks throughout our meal for the sushi chef. We had never done that before, so the next time we went out to our local sushi bar (different town) we offered that and the chef declined :confused3.

I would think the kitchen staff would prefer actual cash than drinks, maybe it's really a cash tip for them but the thought of buying them a drink sounds more fun to customers?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter