BYOS bring your own straw (Disney removing straws and more in 2019)

Ever since I had some dental surgery a few years back (maybe I should say especially since then) I find it much more comfortable to use a straw for certain types of drinks (ie. soft drinks, etc.). I can drink without one but it can go from uncomfortable to downright painful depending on the day it seems. Out of all the different sorts of straws available plastic straws are the easiest to work with for me. I can get by (unless things go downhill) but I'm lucky because I know there are others much worse off than I am that will be put in a real bind by these changes. I'd like to think there's some compromise that will let them get straws that will work for them, as need be, but it seems this is a no compromise situation.

I agree with others that this is a decent step (even if just a drop in the ocean), but if Disney really wants to make an impact, and not just by jumping on the straw bandwagon, they should start looking at their merchandise packaging.

Anytime I buy a toy for DD, whether at the parks or at Target, I'm shocked by the wastefulness of the packaging, so many zip ties, plastic wraps, styrofoam, box parts, etc. All in the name of "merchandising" something so it looks appealing on the shelf.

I am definitely not an Uber environmentalist or anything but totally agree with regards to the packaging - so much that is totally unnecessary.

I always liked how paper straws were the only option at AK since it fits into the park's conservation theme. But it always struck me as a bit disingenuous since they didn't carry that over to the rest of the parks. I know things like contracts with suppliers aren't easy to get out of (and I'm sure plastic is cheaper), but it's nice to see Disney "going big" instead of "going home" on this one. Better late than never!

They actually didn't use plastic straws at AK because of the potential for them to end up in an animal's enclosure and pose a hazard. It was also a nice conservation move, but that wasn't the primary concern.

Personally, I hate paper straws, but I can just as well drink without using a straw at all. I like the idea of selling some cool, Disney themed reusable straws that are convenient to carry. I can see it now!

Ever since I had some dental surgery a few years back (maybe I should say especially since then) I find it much more comfortable to use a straw for certain types of drinks (ie. soft drinks, etc.). I can drink without one but it can go from uncomfortable to downright painful depending on the day it seems. Out of all the different sorts of straws available plastic straws are the easiest to work with for me. I can get by (unless things go downhill) but I'm lucky because I know there are others much worse off than I am that will be put in a real bind by these changes. I'd like to think there's some compromise that will let them get straws that will work for them, as need be, but it seems this is a no compromise situation.

Plastic straws are incredibly helpful - even crucial- for many people with disabilities. This article makes some really good points about why paper and metal alternatives are not suitable for many people with disabilities.

(Please don't come at me with arguments about people "taking personal responsibility" and carrying their own straws, I understand all of the various sides of this arguments, but just wanted to share a different perspective. Many people already do "carry their own" reusable straws, but forget them at home; to some people, they are unaffordable, although I would agree, probably not people who can afford a Disney vacation. I personally think they should be available upon request behind the counter to anyone who needs them, but not given freely with every beverage.)

Plastic straws are incredibly helpful - even crucial- for many people with disabilities. This article makes some really good points about why paper and metal alternatives are not suitable for many people with disabilities.

I was thinking about this earlier. It wouldn’t be unreasonable for Disney to have a small backup supply of plastic straws for certain situations. Maybe 1 case of plastic for every 50 or 100 of paper, or something like that. I know the word “eliminate” was invoked in the blog post, but Disney is as good at corporate doublespeak as anyone else!

I was thinking about this earlier. It wouldn’t be unreasonable for Disney to have a small backup supply of plastic straws for certain situations. Maybe 1 case of plastic for every 50 or 100 of paper, or something like that. I know the word “eliminate” was invoked in the blog post, but Disney is as good at corporate doublespeak as anyone else!

They don't supply CPAP machines to people with sleep apnea, though. They have to bring their own. Why wouldn't it be the same case with those who need plastic straws? With the exception of AK, I don't think they're being banned anywhere, just not provided.

I'm all for it, (never use straws, unless I am in the car). Restaurants give out straws like they are candy, whether you ask for them or not. I think a fold back lid (like they sue for cofe

Frankly I am shocked it has taken THIS long for companies to decide to stop using straws (or plastic bags). It feels like this has been a concern for decades.

If they were that environmentally conscious why didn't they just do this across all parks when AK opened?

Just feels like this is the "bandwagon" environmental thing to do this year to look good.

I don't have any disabilities and still carry my own reusable straws. It is almost the same as carrying my keys or Kleenex or reusable shopping bag. It takes no effort and I just always have a couple in my bag.

As for it being inconvenient for people with disabilities, if we made everything that someone with disabilities needed available for them all the time we would need to also have formula and diapers available for babies. Nobody likes carrying around extra and I do support assisting and making things accessible for everyone but it isn't realistic to provide everything to everyone. In our efforts to do that we are causing harm to our entire planet.

The only way to try to begin to correct the damage done is to stop using plastic. We haven't even been using it for 100 years and it's already suffocating the planet.

If Disney wanted to make a real impact they would:

-Allow the refillable mugs to be used in the parks. Less paper/plastic/Styrofoam.
-Use the reusable bag as the standard bag (free of charge) and charge customers for a plastic bag.

Anyone can order a bulk shipment of reusable bags for less than $0.50 a bag. Surely Disney can garner an even lower price. And, to go above that, give anyone bringing in a bag - whether their own or a Disney one they got earlier - a $0.50 discount per bag.

Then I may believe this is more about the environment and less about an extra possible revenue source.

I love straws, but paper straws are the worst. (IMO)

I have started using a washable tumbler with a washable straw to drink water at work as opposed to the single-use water bottles. If Disney wants to do this for environmental reasons, then they should steal the Six Flags thing of selling reusable soda cups with built-in plastic straws for use inside the parks.

red-yellow-bottle_400x400.jpg

They should also put in filtered water refill stations and stop selling single-use bottles of water.

I love straws, but paper straws are the worst. (IMO)

I have started using a washable tumbler with a washable straw to drink water at work as opposed to the single-use water bottles. If Disney wants to do this for environmental reasons, then they should steal the Six Flags thing of selling reusable soda cups with built-in plastic straws for use inside the parks.

red-yellow-bottle_400x400.jpg

They should also put in filtered water refill stations and stop selling single-use bottles of water.
I think Disney is all about saving the planet until it starts interfering with a high profit high volume item like bottled water.

I think Disney is all about saving the planet until it starts interfering with a high profit high volume item like bottled water.

Disney, and Starbucks and McDonalds and everyone else making a change is only doing so because they feel that the image of doing so will be good for their bottom dollar. The part that I'm excited about is that it means there are more people who will visit the parks more frequently because of this change than there is people who will avoid it. Disney wouldn't have made it otherwise. Its a sign that public awareness of this issue is increasing.

Last edited:
If Disney wanted to make a real impact they would:

-Allow the refillable mugs to be used in the parks. Less paper/plastic/Styrofoam.
-Use the reusable bag as the standard bag (free of charge) and charge customers for a plastic bag.

Anyone can order a bulk shipment of reusable bags for less than $0.50 a bag. Surely Disney can garner an even lower price. And, to go above that, give anyone bringing in a bag - whether their own or a Disney one they got earlier - a $0.50 discount per bag.

Then I may believe this is more about the environment and less about an extra possible revenue source.

:thumbsup2

Refillable mugs in the parks would be great, maybe some day.
I wouldn't be surprised to see all those "free with purchase" items go away in the coming years. No more cute beach towels or backpacks. We'll get a free reusable bag with a purchase over $100 or it will cost just $1.99 with one under.
Disney will save the environment but only if they profit from doing it.

I have a couple of those I still sometimes use for water at home/work! And I would definitely love filtered water refill stations in the parks (perhaps with small, completely recyclable, paper cups for those who don't carry bags?) I would prefer to keep the soda behind the counters, though, as the refill stations at "our" Six Flags attract a ton of bees!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter