BYOS bring your own straw (Disney removing straws and more in 2019)

I care about saving the environment too. But I don't want to have to carry reusable shopping bags into the parks. I already have enough to carry for the day.

I have the big bulky ones for regular grocery shopping, but the back-up I keep in my purse folds up really small:

LOQI-ShoppingBagCatsDogsCollection_Cats.06_280x@2x.jpg

This isn’t straw related and I may have missed it mentionned but within them reducing plastic, and the bags in store... will you have to pay for bags automatically if getting your items delivered back to your resort?

If Disney wanted to make a real impact they would:

-Allow the refillable mugs to be used in the parks. Less paper/plastic/Styrofoam.
-Use the reusable bag as the standard bag (free of charge) and charge customers for a plastic bag.

Anyone can order a bulk shipment of reusable bags for less than $0.50 a bag. Surely Disney can garner an even lower price. And, to go above that, give anyone bringing in a bag - whether their own or a Disney one they got earlier - a $0.50 discount per bag.

Then I may believe this is more about the environment and less about an extra possible revenue source.

Do you know why I think this won't work? Because people are idiots. Look to literally anything that is free. No one will be satisfied with one. People will be asking for their free re-usable bag with every purchase they make. No, charge for them, and charge a decent amount. that way people will buy ONE and actually you know, reuse it. Incentives for bringing your own bag I am completely on board for though. 50 cents off your total purchase of 20 dollars or more if you use your own bag.

As to the straw debate, people arguing against it have NOTHING to stand on. hide behind the minority that needs it so that you can have your precious straw. Come on. it's a complete superlative for 99% of the population. The 1% that need it will find their own alternative that works, because they NEED it. That's how needs work. Just because Disney might save money by no longer providing straws does NOT make it a financially driven agenda.

:thumbsup2

Refillable mugs in the parks would be great, maybe some day.
I wouldn't be surprised to see all those "free with purchase" items go away in the coming years. No more cute beach towels or backpacks. We'll get a free reusable bag with a purchase over $100 or it will cost just $1.99 with one under.
Disney will save the environment but only if they profit from doing it.

I was thinking that too - or like free reusable bag if you use your Disney’s Visa card or something like that

Make it more of a perk or motivation to spend or use something they want vs something you “have” to pay for like a punishment

Do you know why I think this won't work? Because people are idiots. Look to literally anything that is free. No one will be satisfied with one. People will be asking for their free re-usable bag with every purchase they make. No, charge for them, and charge a decent amount. that way people will buy ONE and actually you know, reuse it. Incentives for bringing your own bag I am completely on board for though. 50 cents off your total purchase of 20 dollars or more if you use your own bag.

As to the straw debate, people arguing against it have NOTHING to stand on. hide behind the minority that needs it so that you can have your precious straw. Come on. it's a complete superlative for 99% of the population. The 1% that need it will find their own alternative that works, because they NEED it. That's how needs work. Just because Disney might save money by no longer providing straws does NOT make it a financially driven agenda.

There are definitely situations when having a straw is better. For very iced/ice cold drinks that can often be painful to people’s teeth (sometimes the case for me) so havigna straw pushes the cold line Audi past your teeth. Similarly soda is very bad for your teeth so the straw pushes it past your teeth

That said, a reusable or paper straw would accomplish the above and not be plastic

At the very least I would like to see more places (Disney and elsewhere) only provide straws upon request - so often I see the server just dump a bunch of straws on the table whether we need them or not

There should be an announcement coming sometime soon that Disney is releasing a new line of themed plastic straws, which can be customized to your favorite character or movie, for $18.99. These straws will, of course, also open the door to your hotel room.

This’ll be fun trying to bring one of those tumbler straws through security. Granted they don’t look at me funny when they see I bring deodorant in the parks, they do for my Nintendo 3ds though

I'll just pack a bindle with a full place setting for when I go to the parks (or anywhere else). I can rinse it all off in a drinking fountain between uses.

If Disney wanted to make a real impact they would:

-Allow the refillable mugs to be used in the parks. Less paper/plastic/Styrofoam.
-Use the reusable bag as the standard bag (free of charge) and charge customers for a plastic bag.

Anyone can order a bulk shipment of reusable bags for less than $0.50 a bag. Surely Disney can garner an even lower price. And, to go above that, give anyone bringing in a bag - whether their own or a Disney one they got earlier - a $0.50 discount per bag.

Then I may believe this is more about the environment and less about an extra possible revenue source.

Or maybe it is one step in the right direction. Could be there are more steps to come.

It makes Disney feel good about itself. In California giving out plastic straws could be punishable by 6 months in jail and $1000 fine. It is a more severe penalty than deliberately passing along the HIV/Aids virus. Is the world going nuts? Asia, mainly China, is the one with the plastic problem.
Disney isn’t the only one doing this and all Disney parks around the world are doing this except Tokyo Disneyland.

I think that this article does a decent job of showing why removing straws is an important first step. I agree that it is by far not where things need to end:
https://www.vox.com/2018/6/25/17488336/starbucks-plastic-straw-ban-ocean-pollution

It's worth noting that Disney is also getting rid of personal use plastic bottles of shampoo and soap in their resorts, as well as greatly cutting back on plastic bags. Yes, there will still be plastic toys, and food items will still be shrink-wrapped, and there will still be a multitude of other issues, but I am happy to see that we are at least starting somewhere. Just today the article about plastic bags being removed from the parks started a conversation between my wife and I about how we should start transitioning to using reusable bags when we shop at home.
This is all window dressing and will give Iger his creds with the proper crowds at cocktail parties. Is that why he closes the parks earlier and eliminated the Electrical night parade? I have my suspicions.

It makes Disney feel good about itself. In California giving out plastic straws could be punishable by 6 months in jail and $1000 fine. It is a more severe penalty than deliberately passing along the HIV/Aids virus. Is the world going nuts? Asia, mainly China, is the one with the plastic problem.

Why do you consider reducing plastic waste as a sign that the world is going nuts? Even if Asia is worse, why would America set the worst in the world as a bar to compare ourselves to?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter