CA Coast & Disneyland! Pics & Video - Update 9/18- Pg. 12 #177 - The End!

Spartangirl

DIS Veteran
This is my 1st trip report! :banana:

Hi! :wave2: My name is Lynne and I'm a newbie on these boards. :disrocks:

MY DH and I are WDW vets...we go every year! So, we decided to mix it up a bit and head out to Disneyland this year. :woohoo: Around Christmas time, I brought up the idea of CA to celebrate our anniversary this summer. My DH has been dying to explore Yosemite, so I thought a trip along the coast might be a good idea. I started throwing ideas his way, and he said, "No Disneyland?" As it was, our trip was already about 8 days long in the making.....but, what's a few more days ~ especially if Disneyland is added! :yay: Our trip is now 12 days long! I went to Disneyland once as a child and my DH has never been. So, we are really looking forward to exploring both parks and taking everything in!

On to the cast:
Serenade3023.jpg

Me (Lynne): I'm a 31-year-old teacher. I LOVE everything Disney, traveling, and taking pictures. I'm an obsessive-compulsive planner and love making lists. This drives my DH crazy! :lmao: But, we get along well because he doesn't want to be involved in the planning...he just wants to go and enjoy the trip!

DH (Chris): My best friend and the love of my life! :love: We met in high school and began dating during our senior year. Yes, we're "high-school sweethearts." We got engaged after college and have been happily married for 6 wonderful years. DH is 31-years-old and drives for UPS. "What can brown do for you?" Yep, he drives the big brown trucks. Chris is a history buff, computer nerd :) , and basically a kid at heart. He has grown to love Disney as much as I have....lucky for me! :goodvibes

We will celebrate our 6th anniversary on June 23rd and then we're off to California from June 24th - July 5th! :yay: Five more days...

Here's the plan:

Day 1: Leave Michigan and fly into San Francisco. We will be staying at the Hilton Fisherman's Wharf. The plan is to explore the wharf and visit Alcatraz.

Day 2: Visit Union Square, Chinatown, Nob Hill, and head over to the Golden Gate Bridge. We also plan on visiting a winery in Napa. Later on, we will be taking a late afternoon cruise on the Bay.

Day 3: Explore the wharf in the morning. Head through the San Joaquin Valley and Sierra Nevada Mountains to reach Yosemite. We will be staying at the Yosemite View Lodge.

Day 4: Take a morning tour of the Yosemite valley floor in an open-air vehicle. In the afternoon we may hike or bike, depending on what we feel like at the time! :)

Day 5: Visit Carmel by the Sea. Drive the 17-mile coastal drive...taking in Seal Beach and Pebble Beach golf course. Head to Monterey. We will be staying at Portola Plaza on the Wharf. We plan to visit Cannery Row.

Day 6: A stop at a redwood grove. Next we will visit Hearst Castle in San Simeon. We will continue on to Santa Barbara for a stroll down the pier and then head to Los Angeles. We will be staying at the Beverly Hills Crowne Plaza.

Day 7: Visit Rodeo Drive, Sunset Strip, the Hollywood sign, Mann's Chinese Theater, Walk of Stars, and the Kodak Theatre. We will also be making a stop at the Getty Museum.

Day 8: Head to Anaheim! :woohoo: We will be staying at the Candy Cane Inn. The plan is Disneyland and/or CA Adventure.

Day 9: Disneyland and/or CA Adventure.

Day 10: Newport Beach during the morning/day. Downtown Disney at night!

Day 11: Disneyland...see the 4th of July fireworks!

Day 12: Head back home... :sad1:

No relaxation for us! :scared1: But, we love to travel with jam-packed schedules!

Thanks in advance for reading and I hope you enjoy my trippie...:goodvibes

Yay! This is exciting!

Your plans sound so awesome, and I'm so happy to see you're doing a trip report. I vote for doing a report of the whole vacation- I'd love to hear all about your adventures everywhere in California :cutie:

Your excitement is contagious and I live in California! I can't wait to hear your trip report. Just one quick note ... make sure you buy Alcatraz tickets in advance. They pretty much sell out everyday. I used to live in San Francisco and everybody who came to visit always wanted to go to Alcatraz, some friends were disappointed when they expected to just walk up and board a boat.

Have a great time!!

I am planning a VERY much like the one you have planned!!!!! We will also stay at the Hilton in San Fran, visit Monterey, Hearst Castle, take the 17 mile drive! Looking forward to all the details!! Our trip isn't until next year and we will traveling with our 10 and 8 year old daughers!!! I'm a planning and list freak too!!

Yay! This is exciting!

Your plans sound so awesome, and I'm so happy to see you're doing a trip report. I vote for doing a report of the whole vacation- I'd love to hear all about your adventures everywhere in California :cutie:

Thanks for the words of encouragement! :goodvibes I'll definitely report on the whole vacation...I can't believe that I leave in less than a week.

Your excitement is contagious and I live in California! I can't wait to hear your trip report. Just one quick note ... make sure you buy Alcatraz tickets in advance. They pretty much sell out everyday. I used to live in San Francisco and everybody who came to visit always wanted to go to Alcatraz, some friends were disappointed when they expected to just walk up and board a boat.

Have a great time!!

Welcome, and thanks for jumping on board! :goodvibes I appreciate your great advice about Alcatraz. Fortunately, I did my research and purchased my tickets a couple of weeks ago. So, we are all set to head to "The Rock!" :banana:

I am planning a VERY much like the one you have planned!!!!! We will also stay at the Hilton in San Fran, visit Monterey, Hearst Castle, take the 17 mile drive! Looking forward to all the details!! Our trip isn't until next year and we will traveling with our 10 and 8 year old daughers!!! I'm a planning and list freak too!!

Welcome to my trippie! :) I'll try to include as many details as possible. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only planning and list freak! ;)

A great trip plan. :thumbsup2

My only concern would be Day 6. My recollection was that the tour of the castle was almost half a day (if you count the bus ride up & back). Or are you just stopping at the museum at the bottom & continuing on?

Day 6

- Highway 1 from Monterey
- Big Sur
- 90 miles of jaw dropping beautiful Highway 1.
- Hearst Castle.
- Cambria.
- Morro Bay.
- SLO.
- Winerys.
- Pismo.
- Santa Barbara.
- Beverly Hills.

I've only done it twice, but would think it is a minimum 2 days. But I'll defer to Cal residents if they think it's doable in 1 day.

Outside of that day....what a wonderful trip you all have planned. :banana:

Have a great time. :thumbsup2

hound :hippie:

A great trip plan. :thumbsup2

My only concern would be Day 6. My recollection was that the tour of the castle was almost half a day (if you count the bus ride up & back). Or are you just stopping at the museum at the bottom & continuing on?

Day 6

- Highway 1 from Monterey
- Big Sur
- 90 miles of jaw dropping beautiful Highway 1.
- Hearst Castle.
- Cambria.
- Morro Bay.
- SLO.
- Winerys.
- Pismo.
- Santa Barbara.
- Beverly Hills.

I've only done it twice, but would think it is a minimum 2 days. But I'll defer to Cal residents if they think it's doable in 1 day.

Outside of that day....what a wonderful trip you all have planned. :banana:

Have a great time. :thumbsup2

hound :hippie:

Thank you and welcome! :goodvibes

I appreciate your words of advice for Day 6. As we booked everything, we thought it might be a tight squeeze too, but we're going to try our best to make it work. :) We're going to start our day really early and make a brief stop at the redwoods. Plus, we decided that we're going to do only one tour at the castle. Many people that I've spoken to said to try to do two of the tours, but we're pretty jam-packed in our schedule as it is. We'll probably crash once we hit our final destination for the day, but we'll be ok. ;)

We're going to start packing today. :woohoo: That should be a task in itself, since the weather is quite different in the cities that we are visiting. I've heard that San Francisco can be a bit chilly and it will warm up as we head south. I want to be prepared for anything! ;) I will not be sad when we leave Michigan behind and the hot, humid weather we've been having...I actually don't mind the heat. It's the sweating and dripping that begins as soon as you get out of the shower that gets to me...:lmao:

My wonderful parents are going to watch our furry kiddos while we are gone.:thumbsup2

Bailey paw: and Brandi! paw:
BB.png

My puppies love their "vacations" at my parent's house. They live on 3/4 of an acre and have two dogs themselves.:goodvibes

Only 4 more days to go! :jumping1:

:wave: :woohoo:

I am also getting excited for you!

Sounds like a fun filled, tour packed, extravaganza~

Regarding your clothing options...

I was VERY happy I packed as many long pants as I did. Yes, it can be warmer as you go south but even that isn't set in stone.

I cannot wait to see your pictures, esp of the Yosemite area~that's the direction I intend to head on my next trip out west :goodvibes:

I pray you good travels and great weather.

TTFN,

colleen.

:wave: :woohoo:

I am also getting excited for you!

Sounds like a fun filled, tour packed, extravaganza~

Thank you and welcome to my TR! :goodvibes I can't wait to leave...

:Regarding your clothing options...

I was VERY happy I packed as many long pants as I did. Yes, it can be warmer as you go south but even that isn't set in stone.

Thank you for the words of advice...I will take them to heart because I tend to get chilly. :thumbsup2

I cannot wait to see your pictures, esp of the Yosemite area~that's the direction I intend to head on my next trip out west :goodvibes:

Keep your fingers crossed that I get some good shots! ;)

I pray you good travels and great weather.

I appreciate your kind words and thoughtfulness! :flower3:

Thank you and welcome! :goodvibes

I appreciate your words of advice for Day 6. As we booked everything, we thought it might be a tight squeeze too, but we're going to try our best to make it work. :) We're going to start our day really early and make a brief stop at the redwoods. Plus, we decided that we're going to do only one tour at the castle. Many people that I've spoken to said to try to do two of the tours, but we're pretty jam-packed in our schedule as it is. We'll probably crash once we hit our final destination for the day, but we'll be ok. ;)

:thumbsup2

"Stuff/Tips" on day 6

- Elephant Seals on the beach a few miles north of San Simeon - amazing.

- Moonstone Beach Dr. in Cambria (a one mile road along the beach that parallels Highway 1 & reconnects with it). Several B&Bs & restaurants there. Reminds me of Maine. If it's lunch time stop for a bite.

- Morro Bay - the wharf area is far prettier than Santa Barbara (imo). If lunchtime have a bite at the many restaurants overlooking the bay & the ginormous ROCK.

- If you're a bit hungry & driving through the tiny town of Nipoma. Stop at Jockos & split a Portuguese Roast Beef sandwich. (it's kind of a locals bar & cafe).

& yes...take a windbreaker etc. for the coast. It can get misty & cool.)

Have fun. :cool1:

Sounds like you're in for a fantastic trip!! I'm particularly interested in how you get on as my fiance and I are honeymooning in California and driving from San Francisco to LA and doing alot of similar things! So when I saw this thread I was really excited!!

What fantastic tips and suggestions aswell everyone - I'll be reading up on them and doing my research for our trip!

Can't wait to read your report when you get back, have a lovely time!! :cheer2:

:thumbsup2

"Stuff/Tips" on day 6

- Elephant Seals on the beach a few miles north of San Simeon - amazing.

- Moonstone Beach Dr. in Cambria (a one mile road along the beach that parallels Highway 1 & reconnects with it). Several B&Bs & restaurants there. Reminds me of Maine. If it's lunch time stop for a bite.

- Morro Bay - the wharf area is far prettier than Santa Barbara (imo). If lunchtime have a bite at the many restaurants overlooking the bay & the ginormous ROCK.

- If you're a bit hungry & driving through the tiny town of Nipoma. Stop at Jockos & split a Portuguese Roast Beef sandwich. (it's kind of a locals bar & cafe).

& yes...take a windbreaker etc. for the coast. It can get misty & cool.)

Have fun. :cool1:

Thank you for all of the wonderful tips! :thumbsup2 I would love to see and photograph the Elephant Seals...and I will definitely pack something to stay warm!

Sunday (The day we leave...) can't come soon enough! :woohoo:

Sounds like you're in for a fantastic trip!! I'm particularly interested in how you get on as my fiance and I are honeymooning in California and driving from San Francisco to LA and doing alot of similar things! So when I saw this thread I was really excited!!

What fantastic tips and suggestions aswell everyone - I'll be reading up on them and doing my research for our trip!

Can't wait to read your report when you get back, have a lovely time!! :cheer2:

Welcome to my trippie! Hopefully I will have lots of wonderful things to share when I return! :goodvibes

I can't believe you leave so soon - aren't you pumped? I just re-read your itinerary - I stayed at the Hilton at Fisherman's Wharf and liked it. 17 mile drive and Carmel are fantastic. I'm jealous also that you get to go to XANADU (San Simeon) - I didn't make it there. Can't wait to read all about it. Have a great time! :banana: :banana: :banana:

I can't believe you leave so soon - aren't you pumped? I just re-read your itinerary - I stayed at the Hilton at Fisherman's Wharf and liked it. 17 mile drive and Carmel are fantastic. I'm jealous also that you get to go to XANADU (San Simeon) - I didn't make it there. Can't wait to read all about it. Have a great time! :banana: :banana: :banana:

I CAN'T WAIT!!! The time doesn't go fast enough...Glad to hear that you liked the Hilton, 17 mile drive, and Carmel. I don't know what I'm most excited for! :goodvibes

Thanks for jumping on board.....I'm sure I'll have LOTS to share when I return! :thumbsup2

By the way, I LOVED your trip report!

Spartangirl:

Sounds incredibly romantic!:love: I've been to all of these places, usually with kids in tow. Alcatraz is really cool!, and so is the wharf (we'll be there in a couple weeks ourselves - can't wait!) I LOVED Hearst castle, great for a couple. Pebble Beach (17 mile drive) is gorgeous, as is Yosemete.

You pack it in like I do - My kids BEG me for a day of relief:confused3
Just remember the drives are alot longer than you might expect, so leave early. (might be easier with two, but torchure with a family of five, especially teens). I've had to learn to ease my days (unless I'm by myself on a business trip or something, then I really explore:banana: )

I love to plan (and dream - Disney lover you know) so each FULL day is important to me - need to make the most of my time off, never know when I'll be back again.

Have a great trip. Always love to see/hear things through the eyes of someone else!

Celebrate Life

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter