cake recipes needed

Bovril

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

am doing a huge baking session, as got to leave DH and DS something to eat while I'm away

seem to be using the same old recipes over and over again, so has anybody got a fave recipe that they can pass on, preferably cake but I'm not fussy

have been looking at all the books but would rather use ones that have been tried and tested

thanks

is a chocolate cake, recipe courtesy of my mother! Oh, by the way, it's in the old fashioned style - can't master this new-fangles metric system in any way whatsoever (and don't really want to either).

4 oz white sugar
4 oz soft margarine - I use Stork
6 oz self-raising flour
2 eggs - whatever size you might have in, although I recommend large
1 tablespoon Cadbury's Drinking Chocolate
tepid water
baking powder

Method:

Mix together sugar, marg, flour, eggs and drinking chocolate with whisk until quite pale in colour. Then add sufficient tepid water to make the mixture just slightly "slithery" - so that with a load of mixture on the beaters the mixture runs off quite slowly.

Fiinally, add a teaspoon of baking powder and mix in with spoon. Herein lies the secret of "rising". If the baking powder is beaten in it will not rise well. If it is put in at the beginning of the mixing process the cake will rise even less well.

Also I find that the drinking chocolate makes it rise better. If I make a cake using the same recipe without the drinking chocolate, then the cake does not rise quite so well.

Divide mixture evenly between two seven inch sandwich tins, making a small well in the middle of each.

Place in centre of oven with a temperature of 180 degrees for 25 minutes. This temp may need a bit of experimenting and may only need 170 degrees. It depends on the oven.

Turn out on to wire tray for cooling.

When cold, sandwich together with butter cream, either flavoured or plain. (I prefer plain.)

Ice with water icing and decorate if required.

Enjoy.

Jan

Sorry Bovril, I have no expertise in the kitchen where cakes are concerned. I can open( with a can opener ) a mean tin of beans however.

Here is a recipe I saw for tipsy fruit cake. Hope it gives you a smile.

ingredients

1 cup water 1 tsp salt 1 cup brown sugar 1 cup white sugar 1 tsp bak soda
nuts 4 large eggs 2 cups dried fruit lemon juice whisky

method

Sample the whisky to check for quality
Take a large bowl
Check the whisky again
Pour one level cup and drink ( repeat )
Turn on the electric mixer; beat 1 cup of butter ina large, fluffy bowl. Add one tsp of sugar and beat again.
Make sure whisky is ok. Cry another tup.
Turn off mixer.
Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl. Chuck in the dried fruit.
Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose with a drewscriver.
Sample whisky for tonsisticity.
Next, sift 2 cups of salt. Or is that some thing else..who cares? Sing "sex bomb" by Tom Jones at top of your voice.
Check whisky.Sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.
Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar, yes that must be right.
Whatever you can find!!
Grease the oven.Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees.Don't forget to beat off the turner.Throw the bowl out of the window.Check whisky. Go to bed.

Who the hell likes fruit cake anyway?

Hi as a cook I have many great recipes but the families fav is Coffee & Walnut cake

6 oz Margarine
6 oz Caster Suger
3 Eggs, beaten
2 oz Cornflour
4 oz Self raising Flour
1-2 tbsp Camp Coffee (liquid Coffee)

Icing -
2 oz Margarine
4 oz Icicng Sugar
1 tbsp Coffee POWDER
1 tbsp Cocoa/drinking Chocloate
Walnuts halves to decorate

Pre heat oven to 160 C
Beat together the Margarine & Sugar until they are really light in colour - the longer you beat the better that cake, slowly add the beaten eggs, fold in corn flour & flour slowly, if the consistenlcy of the mixture is to thick add some cold water a little at a time until right consistency is reached, into cake tin (preferably lined) for approx 40 mins or until set in middle - insert a cocktail stick or scewer and if it comes out clean the cake is cooked. Allow to cool a little then turn out of tin and cool completley. Beat together Marg. and Icing Sugar and add coffee powder and cocoa, cut the cake in half and spread with some of the icing, use the rest to decorate the top and finish off with wlanut halves.

I hope you enjoy this as much as we do infact even writing out the recipe has made me want some so off to the kitchen now.........................

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter