California DVC Owners Group

I currently have two reservations for VGC - one is the end of May and the other one is in October. Some of the points will expire this year (I banked them from last year). What are the chances that VGC and/or DL will be open the end of May? I'm thinking it's pretty slim right now and I don't know if I should just change our reservation in October for a 1 bedroom instead of a studio.
I'm in the same boat. I am feeling like DL won't be open. I give VGC 50/50- but that is literally just a guess, lol. Maybe someone else has better insight- or guesses!

I have a small 80 point contract at VGC which we typically bank and borrow to go every 2-3 years. I’m in the same boat with a redo beginning of June 2021 reservation from our canceled June 2020 Disneyland trip. I’m not going to get airline tickets (I’m in FL) until the last minute. I’d love for DVC to do something special for the VGC owners because we are coming up on a year of the resort being closed, the point build up is a real problem.

Receiving the email definitely took the wind out of my sails... we are very local and have had our APs for years. It actually makes me want to sell most of my VGC points. 😢
I'm not very local; 5 hour drive/1 hour flight, and that AP email made me think of selling my VGC points (or at least one of the two contracts) in the days after the announcement. The point of DVC for us was premium place to stay with flexibility to go when we wanted to. In the early years of owning, we lived a 5 hour plane ride away so went once a year for a week in a 2 bedroom, usually in low-points season since the kids weren't in school this was easy. Now the kids are older, we go for a bunch of weekends since we hate summer (esp those point costs!) and can't go during weekdays when there's school and low point times, so we go on weekends in the spring/fall/winter. The Flex Pass was perfect for us, and I hope whatever program replaces it will look similar.

I have no idea what to do with all my 2020 points now that we'll probably only be able to go once a year until they announce the replacement program (likely in 2022 or later). Or all the weekend reservations I have!
Do I want to be tied to going to the VGC if most of my trips will be resort only? I don't mind resort only once a year but ... don't want to be staring at the gates of DLR and not be able to go to the parks. We can't afford to take multiple 2-3 day trips on regular tickets. I'd be okay using my points to stay at the VGC if they have more plentiful ticketed nighttime events, but if they plan on offering more of those they'd need to be announced/ticket sales accomplished 7-11 months ahead of time to be useful to DVC owners which I don't see DLR accomplishing ... ever.
If they don't announce the replacement by our next trip, I'll have to look into selling my VGC reservations and start figuring out where else we'd like to travel. :confused3
I currently have two reservations for VGC - one is the end of May and the other one is in October. Some of the points will expire this year (I banked them from last year). What are the chances that VGC and/or DL will be open the end of May? I'm thinking it's pretty slim right now and I don't know if I should just change our reservation in October for a 1 bedroom instead of a studio.
I think the VGC will be open by May. Greater Sacramento area already moved back into purple, so hotels/timeshares can open again, the O.C. was in purple (or red/orange?) both times they announced the VGC reopening which was cancelled when the numbers started surging. SoCal will get there in the next month or two; as long as California keeps vaccinating the numbers will drop to get back to where it was last June/September/Oct/Nov.
DLR ... that'll take longer since the O.C. has to get to Yellow before it'll happen.

Last edited:
I'm not very local; 5 hour drive/1 hour flight, and that AP email made me think of selling my VGC points (or at least one of the two contracts) in the days after the announcement. The point of DVC for us was premium place to stay with flexibility to go when we wanted to. In the early years of owning, we lived a 5 hour plane ride away so went once a year for a week in a 2 bedroom, usually in low-points season since the kids weren't in school this was easy. Now the kids are older, we go for a bunch of weekends since we hate summer (esp those point costs!) and can't go during weekdays when there's school and low point times, so we go on weekends in the spring/fall/winter. The Flex Pass was perfect for us, and I hope whatever program replaces it will look similar.

I have no idea what to do with all my 2020 points now that we'll probably only be able to go once a year until they announce the replacement program (likely in 2022 or later). Or all the weekend reservations I have!
Do I want to be tied to going to the VGC if most of my trips will be resort only? I don't mind resort only once a year but ... don't want to be staring at the gates of DLR and not be able to go to the parks. We can't afford to take multiple 2-3 day trips on regular tickets. I'd be okay using my points to stay at the VGC if they have more plentiful ticketed nighttime events, but if they plan on offering more of those they'd need to be announced/ticket sales accomplished 7-11 months ahead of time to be useful to DVC owners which I don't see DLR accomplishing ... ever.
If they don't announce the replacement by our next trip, I'll have to look into selling my VGC reservations and start figuring out where else we'd like to travel. :confused3

I think the VGC will be open by May. Greater Sacramento area already moved back into purple, so hotels/timeshares can open again, the O.C. was in purple (or red/orange?) both times they announced the VGC reopening which was cancelled when the numbers started surging. SoCal will get there in the next month or two; as long as California keeps vaccinating the numbers will drop to get back to where it was last June/September/Oct/Nov.
DLR ... that'll take longer since the O.C. has to get to Yellow before it'll happen.

I hope that the DLR and VGC open at the same time because what’s the point of staying there if you can’t go to the parks. For locals it can still be a getaway but I’m not going to pay airfare for 5 from FL just to stay at VGC.

Last edited:
I hope that the DLR and VGC open at the same time because what’s the pot of staying there if you can’t go to the parks. For locals it can still be a getaway but I’m not going to pay airfare for 5 from FL just to stay at VGC.
As a local, I want VGC to open first so that us locals can enjoy it for a bit without fighting with the tourists.

As a local, I want VGC to open first so that us locals can enjoy it for a bit without fighting with the tourists.
Another local. And I would love to just enjoy a night or 2 away from home. Looking at 4 different walls sounds like a dream come true right now...

I completely agree as a Floridian with a 3 hr drive to WDW we have gone several times for a resort only trip and it has been wonderful to see a different set of walls.

I hope DVC will continue to be flexible with putting points back if the resort opens before the parks. I really hope we don’t have to cancel our June 2021 reservation. We love DL and can’t wait to go back.

did ours. we have flexpass and options revolved around that. Reservation system here to stay which makes sense. interesting to see the multiday passes expanded. Wouldn't mind doing those for SoCal residents beyond the 3 day pass.

interesting to see the multiday passes expanded. Wouldn't mind doing those for SoCal residents beyond the 3 day pass.
Yes! We'd like these, also ... similar to the passes sold in prior years by Costco. I'd be interested in a pass that sold ~6 visits within a 1 year window.

Last night, my son and I watched a video from one of the local vloggers about the survey. Apparently, he received it and provided detailed screen shots of all options listed in the survey, so we were able to pause at each section to see which ones would be of interest to us. Our preference was one with little to no backout dates, minimum 90 day booking window, Maxpass included and parking included or at least at a 50% discount on parking and 20%-30% discount on dining/merch. Those are our must-have priorities. Secondary to that would be dedicated entrance and rewards but not a deal-breaker if we couldn't have those items. Thirdly and of less importance is discount on special events. We'll pay full price for those as long as we can get our must-haves.

Last night, my son and I watched a video from one of the local vloggers about the survey. Apparently, he received it and provided detailed screen shots of all options listed in the survey, so we were able to pause at each section to see which ones would be of interest to us. Our preference was one with little to no backout dates, minimum 90 day booking window, Maxpass included and parking included or at least at a 50% discount on parking and 20%-30% discount on dining/merch. Those are our must-have priorities. Secondary to that would be dedicated entrance and rewards but not a deal-breaker if we couldn't have those items. Thirdly and of less importance is discount on special events. We'll pay full price for those as long as we can get our must-haves.
I haven't watched the videos, just read some of the reviews of the surveys. Depending on price, I'd be happy with either a 12 days/year ticket or 3 Anytime reservations with a 60 day window (I'd settle for 2 ... usually after 2 park days of tired feet the last day of our weekend ends up being a resort day anyways).

I'd love to see MaxPass included, but we always either stay DVC or if we stay at my other timeshare we Lyft to and from the parks, so parking isn't something we'd want, and the dining/merch discount isn't worth much to us since most of the "dining" we do is excluded from discount anyways (we go from beignets to churro cart to Food Festival booths to seasonal offerings at the various restaurants, to Earl of Sandwich, so even though we're constantly eating and spending money on food at the parks we rarely get to use the AP discounts).

Discount on special events would be nice but they rarely seem to fit into our schedule, a discount on the food festival passes might incentivize us to get even more snacks, but we already spend quite a bit at those booths anyways. If they don't include MaxPass we'd probably buy it one day of most visits, so roughly 4 of those days we'd add it on. We like MaxPass, but only do one day per trip of rope drop/close the parks, other park days usually end up being less ride-intense and more focused on food goals and resort time, when it would be nice to have Max but not worth an upcharge for just a couple of rides.

which vlogger was this? I'd love to see it!

I haven't watched the videos, just read some of the reviews of the surveys. Depending on price, I'd be happy with either a 12 days/year ticket or 3 Anytime reservations with a 60 day window (I'd settle for 2 ... usually after 2 park days of tired feet the last day of our weekend ends up being a resort day anyways).

I'd love to see MaxPass included, but we always either stay DVC or if we stay at my other timeshare we Lyft to and from the parks, so parking isn't something we'd want, and the dining/merch discount isn't worth much to us since most of the "dining" we do is excluded from discount anyways (we go from beignets to churro cart to Food Festival booths to seasonal offerings at the various restaurants, to Earl of Sandwich, so even though we're constantly eating and spending money on food at the parks we rarely get to use the AP discounts).

Discount on special events would be nice but they rarely seem to fit into our schedule, a discount on the food festival passes might incentivize us to get even more snacks, but we already spend quite a bit at those booths anyways. If they don't include MaxPass we'd probably buy it one day of most visits, so roughly 4 of those days we'd add it on. We like MaxPass, but only do one day per trip of rope drop/close the parks, other park days usually end up being less ride-intense and more focused on food goals and resort time, when it would be nice to have Max but not worth an upcharge for just a couple of rides.

We had another discussion about it last night after I read some of the comments in the AP cancellation thread in the Disneyland forum. My preference would actually be choice of between a few base ticket options, then add a la carte options such as Photo Pass, MaxPass, parking, level of merch/dining discount and ability to get early registration access and discount to special events. In other words, each option would have it's own cost attached and I'd choose which options I want. This would allow the flexibility of paying extra only for the options I select. It's a really interesting thread and some good ideas floating around from seasoned APs, so I've added the link. My preferred choices (in a perfect world) are highlighted. ;)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...ss-program-has-been-cancelled.3823116/page-19

🧡💛💚💙💜Happy Valentine's Day to all but especially to California DVCers! Have a "love"-ly day!
Thank you and to you, also!!

Hubby and I are enjoying a lovely 3BR Penthouse unit at Worldmark Oceanside this weekend. We brought our OneWheel boards and rode the beach yesterday down to the pier. Topped off with lunch at Ruby's (end of the pier) and later grilled a fantastic chicken and asparagus dinner using the gas grill on the unit's patio.

This unit is spacious and practical. Quick 'tour':
  • 3 bedrooms, each with private bathroom, each with jetted tub. King beds in both the master bedroom and 2nd bedroom with twin beds in the 3rd bedroom. The master bedroom has a large walk-in closet, the 2nd bedroom has a small'ish walk-in closet (similar to BWV?).
  • Reasonable patio (could be larger) with gas grill, outdoor table and chairs. Our unit is on the far east end of the property ... so the view is mostly "parking lot" with palm trees, train track and ocean far beyond. (We've had this unit before. The super good news: It was clean and ready for early check-in at noon'ish yesterday. I'm thrilled!!)
  • Giant kitchen! Granite counters all around, plenty of cookware, dishes, and storage space for whatever you might bring. (Plenty of open counter top space for everything you might bring, as well! HUGE kitchen!)
  • In room laundry.
  • Gas fireplace in the living room.
  • Large glass dining table.
  • Plenty of outlets (everywhere!), lighting, mirrors, seating, storage space, etc.
  • Everything was super, super clean!! The kitchen cabinets had zip ties sealing all the items that had been sterilized. Break them if you need any of the items ... but know that nobody has messed with these items since cleaning. Cool.
Sure, we'd love to be at the Grand Cal ... but this is simply a.w.e.s.o.m.e. Hope all are enjoying a truly love-ly weekend!

Last edited:
Thank you and to you, also!!

Hubby and I are enjoying a lovely 3BR Penthouse unit at Worldmark Oceanside this weekend. We brought our OneWheel boards and rode the beach yesterday down to the pier. Topped off with lunch at Ruby's (end of the pier) and later grilled a fantastic chicken and asparagus dinner using the gas grill on the unit's patio.

This unit is spacious and practical. Quick 'tour':
  • 3 bedrooms, each with private bathroom, each with jetted tub. King beds in both the master bedroom and 2nd bedroom with twin beds in the 3rd bedroom. The master bedroom has a large walk-in closet, the 2nd bedroom has a small'ish walk-in closet (similar to BWV?).
  • Reasonable patio (could be larger) with gas grill, outdoor table and chairs. Our unit is on the far east end of the property ... so the view is mostly "parking lot" with palm trees, train track and ocean far beyond. (We've had this unit before. The super good news: It was clean and ready for early check-in at noon'ish yesterday. I'm thrilled!!)
  • Giant kitchen! Granite counters all around, plenty of cookware, dishes, and storage space for whatever you might bring. (Plenty of open counter top space for everything you might bring, as well! HUGE kitchen!)
  • In room laundry.
  • Gas fireplace in the living room.
  • Large glass dining table.
  • Plenty of outlets (everywhere!), lighting, mirrors, seating, storage space, etc.
  • Everything was super, super clean!! The kitchen cabinets had zip ties sealing all the items that had been sterilized. Break them if you need any of the items ... but know that nobody has messed with these items since cleaning. Cool.
Sure, we'd love to be at the Grand Cal ... but this is simply a.w.e.s.o.m.e. Hope all are enjoying a truly love-ly weekend!

Ah, San Diego. I miss it and haven’t been down since last summer. I had contemplated getting an Airbnb but my family wasn’t comfortable with that so we just did a day trip by taking the scenic route along PCH in Long Beach all the way to Oceanside where we had dinner.

Anyway, glad you had a good time and thanks so much for sharing your experience!😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter