California DVC Owners Group

Congratulations on your waitlist coming through, BCV is hard to get if you're not an owner there depending on room type you're trying to get. It's a lovely resort and the first one we ever stayed at. I'd love to book another stay there one of these days. :)

I think this is the 3rd time I have gotten Beach Club. But the last time was in 2013 (I was there Boston Marathon Bombing day), so it has definitely been quite awhile. I am excited as I do like the resort and love its convenience to Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

Onto another topic. Now that it was officially announced that Buena Vista Street in DCA will open on the 19th, I'm curious as to whether any of my DVC neighbors will be going.:) Me, I probably won't for a good while as I'm not comfortable yet but I certainly wouldn't judge if others decide to go. I'll live vicariously through those that do in the meantime! ;)

I have been to DTD 3 times now --- most recently this past Sunday. I have felt pretty safe each time. I will try to get over in November or December to see the Buena Vista Street and feel a little more atmosphere.

Onto another topic. Now that it was officially announced that Buena Vista Street in DCA will open on the 19th, I'm curious as to whether any of my DVC neighbors will be going.:) Me, I probably won't for a good while as I'm not comfortable yet but I certainly wouldn't judge if others decide to go. I'll live vicariously through those that do in the meantime! ;)
We've been to DTD a couple of times during the week. We've also tried to go twice on Sundays and there is a wait to get in so we turned around and headed home. I'm comfortable if it is not crowded. I miss Disney so much!

I enjoyed DTD in August, safety protocols and all. I'm cautiously planning on BVS in December.

We've been to DTD a couple of times during the week. We've also tried to go twice on Sundays and there is a wait to get in so we turned around and headed home. I'm comfortable if it is not crowded. I miss Disney so much!

If you try to go on the weekends, you NEED to be there at opening. Parking opens at 9:30 so I aim to be there at 9:30 to park easily. And then getting in is super easy and you are way ahead of the crowds. I was in WoD before 10 AM on Sunday.

Now that it was officially announced that Buena Vista Street in DCA will open on the 19th, I'm curious as to whether any of my DVC neighbors will be going.:) Me, I probably won't for a good while as I'm not comfortable yet but I certainly wouldn't judge if others decide to go. I'll live vicariously through those that do in the meantime! ;)
We went to DTD For Labor Day, stayed at my other timeshare (Worldmark - its a great property ... system wise, its decent for West Coasters if you pick up points on the resale market, I haven't regretted buying a small contract yet, owned for about 4 years now). I'd love to go to BVS sometime, but I'll wait until whenever the VGC opens. Without the Grand, I don't think its worth making a special trip down. Depending on how long it is closed, I might change my mind.

... stayed at my other timeshare (Worldmark - its a great property ... system wise, its decent for West Coasters if you pick up points on the resale market, I haven't regretted buying a small contract yet, owned for about 4 years now).
We've owned WM for 20+ years. It works!

I think this is the 3rd time I have gotten Beach Club. But the last time was in 2013 (I was there Boston Marathon Bombing day), so it has definitely been quite awhile. I am excited as I do like the resort and love its convenience to Epcot and Hollywood Studios.
I have fond memories of walks at Epcot closing time through the International Gateway back to BCV. So peaceful and in stark contrast from having to fight the crowds at the monorail or busses on the other side of the park.
I've only been during the week and purposely during odd hours and that's worked out pretty well for us, although we've only gone twice.
If you try to go on the weekends, you NEED to be there at opening. Parking opens at 9:30 so I aim to be there at 9:30 to park easily. And then getting in is super easy and you are way ahead of the crowds. I was in WoD before 10 AM on Sunday.
I've heard the stories of long lines to get in on weekends which makes me very nervous, so I haven't even tried.
We went to DTD For Labor Day, stayed at my other timeshare (Worldmark - its a great property ... system wise, its decent for West Coasters if you pick up points on the resale market, I haven't regretted buying a small contract yet, owned for about 4 years now). I'd love to go to BVS sometime, but I'll wait until whenever the VGC opens. Without the Grand, I don't think its worth making a special trip down. Depending on how long it is closed, I might change my mind.
I miss walking through VGC so much! I'd love to book another staycation there once it's open again.

We've now completed our "first trip since Covid-19" last weekend. Originally, we had the weekend booked via DVC at the Grand Cal with a Worldmark location booked as 'back-up.' The DVC reservation was cancelled by Disney ... so we kept and enjoyed Worldmark!

Friday: Arrived Anaheim around 2p. Checked into WM hoping to simply park our truck and walk the area. We were delighted to have "room ready!" immediately. We enjoyed a 4p dinner reservation at nearby Morton's The Steakhouse. We split a wedge salad, split a steak and split a pair of sides. In all, it was too much food and we boxed the leftovers for later. Next time: either one side or make both green vegetables w/out a starch option. (Note: This was our 1st-ever visit to Morton's. We booked it as Landry's Select Club members as it was the only guaranteed sit-down dining we could find in a hurry. We both decided: "We'll be back! Add Morton's to the "rotation" of dining options.")

Saturday: We doubled down on "firsts." We bought a pair of one-day tickets for the Anaheim Resort Transportation (ART) bus ($6/adult for all day use) and visited the Anaheim Packing District for lunch. This is an up-and-coming deluxe food court, of sorts. Lots of counter-service dining choices with outdoor seating. We loved what we tried and can't wait to go back for anti-gravity noodles at 206 BCE.

We rejoined the ART Bus with drop-off at DLR. We moseyed for a bit, struggled for a bit and eventually left to return to Worldmark by foot. Disney was the "weak link" in our weekend. We returned to our WM unit and cooked dinner in the room. (Loved it! Enjoyed the full kitchen and what we made. Yippie!)

Sunday: Joined our local church via Zoom before leaving for our return home.

Lessons Learned:
  • The Anaheim Packing District has great food options and "real" prices. Good value, nice environment ... we will return!
  • The ART Bus is pleasant but too slow for our enjoyment. We really loved going farther north than our normal Anaheim pattern ... but did not enjoy the long period waiting for the ART bus. We noodled a variety of ideas for next time: bicycle? scooter? walk? (The walking distance isn't bad, just 3 miles from our timeshare ... but the area isn't particularly lovely ... maybe even sketchy at points?) We are still pondering this issue for our future visits.
  • The Disneyland App and Website were, for this past weekend, suffering serious disconnect with respect to Dining Reservations. One said we had a reservation, the other said None and cancelling a reservation was impossible from any means: app, website, phone. Mobile ordering was also spotty for us ... so we quit.
  • The use of Virtual Queues vs Physical Queues is totally random. We were advised, by a CM stationed in the entry gauntlet to assist first-time visitors, to use the App's VQ for everything but, best we could tell, no VQs were actually active. Rather, we found long, long, physical lines wrapped all over the place for every shop and most dining options.
  • Not one CM inside BVS or Downtown Disney could help us with the App's VQ. They gave us a blank stare and either pointed to a physical line or said, "Check back later" (Carthay). Just before leaving we found one sign in Downtown Disney referring to the App for VQ ... but didn't bother to read it ... we were already fried and intent on leaving.
  • The bathrooms were completely empty! Never seen that before!
  • Worldmark, our original timeshare, was awesome as always. The room was super clean, the staff friendly ... and the check-in package included an updated list of dining/attractions that were open during Covid-19. The visit was great!
So ... provided DVC does not cancel our mid-December reservation for the Grand Cal ... we will be back but not particularly looking forward to Disney. We didn't enjoy either Downtown Disney or BVS. That said, I do have a reservation at Carthay's for that return visit ... so that might just change everything. Good food, good dining could completely win us over!

Last edited:
We've now completed our "first trip since Covid-19" last weekend. Originally, we had the weekend booked via DVC at the Grand Cal with a Worldmark location booked as 'back-up.' The DVC reservation was cancelled by Disney ... so we kept and enjoyed Worldmark!

Friday: Arrived Anaheim around 2p. Checked into WM hoping to simply park our truck and walk the area. We were delighted to have "room ready!" immediately. We enjoyed a 4p dinner reservation at nearby Morton's The Steakhouse. We split a wedge salad, split a steak and split a pair of sides. In all, it was too much food and we boxed the leftovers for later. Next time: either one side or make both green vegetables w/out a starch option. (Note: This was our 1st-ever visit to Morton's. We booked it as Landry's Select Club members as it was the only guaranteed sit-down dining we could find in a hurry. We both decided: "We'll be back! Add Morton's to the "rotation" of dining options.")

Saturday: We doubled down on "firsts." We bought a pair of one-day tickets for the Anaheim Resort Transportation (ART) bus ($6/adult for all day use) and visited the Anaheim Packing District for lunch. This is an up-and-coming deluxe food court, of sorts. Lots of counter-service dining choices with outdoor seating. We loved what we tried and can't wait to go back for anti-gravity noodles at 206 BCE.

We rejoined the ART Bus with drop-off at DLR. We moseyed for a bit, struggled for a bit and eventually left to return to Worldmark by foot. Disney was the "weak link" in our weekend. We returned to our WM unit and cooked dinner in the room. (Loved it! Enjoyed the full kitchen and what we made. Yippie!)

Sunday: Joined our local church via Zoom before leaving for our return home.

Lessons Learned:
  • The Anaheim Packing District has great food options and "real" prices. Good value, nice environment ... we will return!
  • The ART Bus is pleasant but too slow for our enjoyment. We really loved going farther north than our normal Anaheim pattern ... but did not enjoy the long period waiting for the ART bus. We noodled a variety of ideas for next time: bicycle? scooter? walk? (The walking distance isn't bad, just 3 miles from our timeshare ... but the area isn't particularly lovely ... maybe even sketchy at points?) We are still pondering this issue for our future visits.
  • The Disneyland App and Website were, for this past weekend, suffering serious disconnect with respect to Dining Reservations. One said we had a reservation, the other said None and cancelling a reservation was impossible from any means: app, website, phone. Mobile ordering was also spotty for us ... so we quit.
  • The use of Virtual Queues vs Physical Queues is totally random. We were advised, by a CM stationed in the entry gauntlet to assist first-time visitors, to use the App's VQ for everything but, best we could tell, no VQs were actually active. Rather, we found long, long, physical lines wrapped all over the place for every shop and most dining options.
  • Not one CM inside BVS or Downtown Disney could help us with the App's VQ. They gave us a blank stare and either pointed to a physical line or said, "Check back later" (Carthay). Just before leaving we found one sign in Downtown Disney referring to the App for VQ ... but didn't bother to read it ... we were already fried and intent on leaving.
  • The bathrooms were completely empty! Never seen that before!
  • Worldmark, our original timeshare, was awesome as always. The room was super clean, the staff friendly ... and the check-in package included an updated list of dining/attractions that were open during Covid-19. The visit was great!
So ... provided DVC does not cancel our mid-December reservation for the Grand Cal ... we will be back but not particularly looking forward to Disney. We didn't enjoy either Downtown Disney or BVS. That said, I do have a reservation at Carthay's for that return visit ... so that might just change everything. Good food, good dining could completely win us over!

Thanks for posting your review of World Mark. Never stayed there and didn't know there was one in the area!

Sorry to hear about the challenges you encountered in DTD and BVS. Did you visit during the weekend? If so, perhaps you can try going mid-week during your December stay at VGC. Although we don't plan on visiting during the surge, the couple of times we went to DTD we had no issues with long lines probably because we chose to show up at an odd time mid-week around 2:00 and had an early dinner around 4:00 - 5:00. We did notice it getting busier later in the evening as the "after work" people starting showing up. Hope you have a better experience next time!

Thanks for posting your review of World Mark. Never stayed there and didn't know there was one in the area!
There are two: the older one is an apartment conversion located next to the Denny's at Harbor & Orangewood; the newer is a purpose-built tower on Katella just beyond the GardenWalk. Each are ~1mile from DLR's main gate and each offer easy access to the ART bus, if you prefer. We've stayed at each many times and always walked to DLR ... except for a "1st!" this visit of using the ART bus to visit the Anaheim Packing District.

Yes, we were there over a weekend. Our next visit will, again, be a weekend. That is the way it goes!

Perhaps I should add to the Lesson's Learned:
  • Leaving the house is HARD work! Most of the work is related to animal care ... dropping off or picking up two animals from different kennels (one parrot; one dog). Preparing each horse's special feeds in advance and writing up detailed instructions, etc. Hard work and expensive ... oh, boy.
  • The best part of the trip was doing NEW stuff: Morton's, the Anaheim Packing District and even learning to use the bus. These were good things!
  • Disney paled in direct and immediate comparison to the "new things" mentioned above. The process was overly cluttered; dining was "too much effort" (again, compared to our other, off-property, attempts which were soooo satisfying and successful). In a nutshell, given the difficult year, it appeared that Disney felt that being "just OK" would be good enough for their long-time fans. If we had not tried Morton's and the Packing District we would have likely been OK with "just OK." bbbbBut we found something better ... uh, oh!
  • For our near term Dec reservation we WILL look for off-site activities and dining. We will continue to "try something new." In that story line, we hope to ride the Santa Ana River Trail in our next visit!

Last edited:
My mid-Dec reservation for the Grand Cal has been cancelled by Disney as of this afternoon. This our 3rd Grand Cal reservation cancelled by Disney and 4th total, including Beach Club Villas for May of this past year.

DVC Email Communication said:
Dear DVC Member,

On December 3, the State of California announced new regional stay at home guidelines. As a result, we’re delaying the reopening of The Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa while we evaluate the guidance. Regrettably, your upcoming reservation has been cancelled.

We apologize for the inconvenience. As we anticipate high call volume in the days ahead, we encourage you to use the Disney Vacation Club website for general information. If you would like to book a new Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation or modify an existing reservation, you may do so through the Member Online Booking Tool.

While we know this news is disappointing, we look forward to when we can welcome you back home and make magical memories together once more.

Sincerely,

Disney Vacation Club

My mid-Dec reservation for the Grand Cal has been cancelled by Disney as of this afternoon. This our 3rd Grand Cal reservation cancelled by Disney and 4th total, including Beach Club Villas for May of this past year.
Is there any extension offer for your points?

Happy New Year, friends!

Since I last checked in, we've lost two more reservations, both at Worldmark Oceanside. While we are getting used to cancelled plans ... we continue to find ways to 'try new things.' During our last trip to Anaheim (documented in posts #89 and #91, above) my husband, growing weary of waiting for the ART Bus, introduced a new idea: OneWheel by Future Motion. After some weekend research, we bought a pair of boards on Cyber Monday and have been learning to ride this beast. My leg muscles are screaming ... but I will say ... I'm beginning to "get it."

Somewhere deep in the back of my brain today, while using the OneWheel to get my mail (at the end of the street), bring trash to my neighbor's dumpster (serious off-roading while carrying that trash) and even riding through my horse chores ... a thought came to me: "This is fun. Plenty of fun. I may have just outgrown Disney." (What! Did I really say that?)

So ... given the prolonged closure at DLR / Grand Cal ... I'm thinking about rebooking an upcoming reservation from the Grand Cal to the Hotel Del via the Concierge Collection. The phone wait time is 50 minutes (wow!!). I doubt I'll be able to sit at my phone for that long and will likely try again on another day.

So ... question for this group ... what do you s'pose are my chances of using my DVC points (100% direct) for the Hotel Del at the end of February this year? The Del's website implies it has plenty of availability for my dates ... and does not suggest the location is presently closed. Hmmm ... keeping my fingers crossed for some "good luck" on these DVC points!

FWIW, if we can book our planned dates ... it would be 25 years since our last stay at the Hotel Del! It would seem a good use for our points this year given life's crazy twists and turns.

Good news! The hold time to reach DVC MS for Concierge reservations was only 31 minutes! And yes, they had multiple offerings for my dates at the Hotel Del! Of the unit types we discussed, nightly points ranged from 70-112 points per night. Curiously, reservation requests cannot be immediately booked but, rather, take 3-5 days to "settle." So ... I put in a request for a Victorian King Ocean View (105 DVC points per night) as my #1 request and a Cabana King (112 points per night) as my backup. (Booking anything less would have failed to burn out my remaining 2019 points.)

This is looking super hopeful! And the DVC MS rep was super helpful! Yeah! This would be great reservation!!! (I'm still on hold as the rep finalizes my request ...)

EDITED TO ADD: Yippie! Received my confirmation for the Hotel Del, 1st choice in room type. So, start to finish on this was ~6 hours. Yay! Color me happy. This will be our 2nd time staying at the Hotel Del ... the first being 25 years ago on our wedding night before flying to WDW.

Last edited:
Good news! The hold time to reach DVC MS for Concierge reservations was only 31 minutes! And yes, they had multiple offerings for my dates at the Hotel Del! Of the unit types we discussed, nightly points ranged from 70-112 points per night. Curiously, reservation requests cannot be immediately booked but, rather, take 3-5 days to "settle." So ... I put in a request for a Victorian King Ocean View (105 DVC points per night) as my #1 request and a Cabana King (112 points per night) as my backup. (Booking anything less would have failed to burn out my remaining 2019 points.)

This is looking super hopeful! And the DVC MS rep was super helpful! Yeah! This would be great reservation!!! (I'm still on hold as the rep finalizes my request ...)

EDITED TO ADD: Yippie! Received my confirmation for the Hotel Del, 1st choice in room type. So, start to finish on this was ~6 hours. Yay! Color me happy. This will be our 2nd time staying at the Hotel Del ... the first being 25 years ago on our wedding night before flying to WDW.

Thank you for sharing this idea for us so cal DVCers! I’m just waiting for my mid-February VGC reservation to get canceled, and then we’ll see how things are looking closer to our Aulani reservation. Sounds like a great point burner if we need it!

I'm so sad to hear we are all losing our annual passes! I mean, I get it, but I'm still so sad!

And this is going to get pricey! I just bought 260 more Grand Cal DVC points 😱

So pricey! My new CCV points loaded into my account over Christmas. We then decided last minute to cancel our "marathon weekend" trip to WDW and used all those returned/new points to rebook a trip in May instead. We already had a week for November booked and knowing we couldn't upgrade to a Gold AP was pretty depressing. Even with the buy 4 get 2 ticket offer it's a difference of well over $200 a person!

Maybe they can add a Disneyland AP for DVC members into this new membership program (we can dream LOL)!

So pricey! My new CCV points loaded into my account over Christmas. We then decided last minute to cancel our "marathon weekend" trip to WDW and used all those returned/new points to rebook a trip in May instead. We already had a week for November booked and knowing we couldn't upgrade to a Gold AP was pretty depressing. Even with the buy 4 get 2 ticket offer it's a difference of well over $200 a person!

Maybe they can add a Disneyland AP for DVC members into this new membership program (we can dream LOL)!
WDW annual passes are good. I think they're only canceling DL passes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter