California Grill Poor Food Quality?

HairyChest

DIS Veteran
I just saw this recent video review of the California Grill, and it was said that the food quality has been reduced . Has anyone else found this to be true? I’m debating between making reservations here or Le Celier for my next trip.

And I’ll also say that our most recent meal at California Grill, which was within the past three months, was exceptional, both food/beverage and service.

What did you order? Maybe its just the steak thats low quality?

I will be there on the 6th, I really hope not

Please report back!

He also stated the short rib wontons are off the main $89 pre fix menu now and can only be ordered for an additional $20 from the lounge menu. That’s rediculous!!

We just ate there 5 nights ago. We went during the re-opening when the prix-fixe was first introduced and were not impressed. My DS16 requested we go this past trip, so we obliged and tried it again - it was fantastic. My DS and I had the Raviolo and my DH had one of the pizzas (would have gone with a roll, but we had just eaten at Shiki-Sai the night before - also fantastic). We had the snapper, grouper and filet - all great. For dessert, we had the two tortes and the creme brulee (I loved the peanut/banana torte!). My DH and I ordered coffee - our server was so lovely, she didn't want my DS16 to just sit while we drank coffee, so she brought him a hot chocolate and another piece of cake. We were also seated in a booth at the start of our meal, but my DH was having some back pain and we asked if they could seat us at another table - they had zero issues moving us. The whole staff was amazing and we wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Certainly not our experience. Reviews are subjective. Le Cellier is also good. You can't go wrong with either of those...both in my personal WDW top 10 of table service.

What did you order? Maybe its just the steak thats low quality?

Please report back!

He also stated the short rib wontons are off the main $89 pre fix menu now and can only be ordered for an additional $20 from the lounge menu. That’s rediculous!!
I had the Goat Cheese Raviolo appetizer and the Red Snapper. DH had the Spicy Kazan Roll appetizer and the Filet of Beef. For dessert, I had the Peanut and Banana Torte and he had the Chocolate Torte. We both really enjoyed the food. The steak was ordered medium rare and it came out medium rare. It was a good cut of beef. The food was very good (not spectacular, but we weren’t expecting spectacular). Our server was spectacular.

I've had dinner at California Grill close to a half a dozen times in the last few years. Each time I felt the food and experience was worth the cost and will be returning in the future.

Food is very subjective so you need to take anyone else's review with a grain of salt (which by the way is almost all you need with a little pepper on a good steak). He ordered that steak medium well and said it was good but not very juicy. It's very hard to cook a steak medium well and make it juicy, it can be done but it doesn't happen often. I would say keep your reservations and decide for yourself.

We went for Christmas Eve dinner and had the Filet (medium) and Venison (medium rare) for our entrees and both were wonderful! Our server, Kylie, was exceptional despite being super busy! A great experience as always.

I just saw this recent video review of the California Grill, and it was said that the food quality has been reduced . Has anyone else found this to be true? I’m debating between making reservations here or Le Celier for my next trip.

Last time we were there, which was a few years ago it was our worst dining experience on property. We will never be back. Overall with the introduction of prefix menus, quality has gone down all around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter