California Grille or Steakhouse 71?

Babsy

DIS Veteran
Our last night at the CR we wanted a special dinner. Which would you choose? (We won't plan on watching the fireworks as we are booking an early dinner. Our flight is ridiculously early the next morning)

Thank you for sharing any ideas or experiences!

Both are great choices. California Grille will be a longer experience as it is multiple courses. The food is really great! It is the best meal I've had at Disney, no contest. We dressed up and did the wine pairings so it was a special dinner.

Steakhouse 71 is also lovely but a different type of experience. Good food and casual so just depends on what type of experience you are looking for!

We've been to both multiple times. For the OP's situation I'd go with S71 for the price and the non-prix fee menu.

Cali grill is more signature dining and an experience.

I believe they invite you back to view the fireworks from the deck too….

Steak71 although still an amazing meal, is just a meal

It depends on how upscale you want it to be. Even without the fireworks, the views from Cali Grill are stunning. We aren't huge fans of the prix-fixe menu, however, but if it appeals to you, it's definitely a lovely place to have dinner. If you want something a little more low-key, Steakhouse 71 is good. I just dislike the fact that there are no windows in the restaurant. Feels a bit claustrophobic.

Last edited:
Our last night at the CR we wanted a special dinner. Which would you choose? (We won't plan on watching the fireworks as we are booking an early dinner. Our flight is ridiculously early the next morning)

Thank you for sharing any ideas or experiences!

For a “special dinner” I’d say CG. We love Steakhouse 71 for lunch. We don’t think the steaks at dinner are any better than any other onsite restaurant. But it has all the ambiance of a high school cafeteria. We find it loud & chaotic with nothing special to look at. As a PP said, you can go back up for fireworks. If you’re staying at Contemporary anyway, it would be a great way to end the trip. And even just going out on the observation deck earlier is amazing.

I haven’t been to the cali grill in a while but it looks like the menu Isn’t truly fixed.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/contemporary-resort/california-grill/menus

Looks like there are lots of options

Not sure what you mean. It’s a prix fixe meal… the set cost is $89 +tax & gratuity for 3 courses. Yes you get several options to choose from for each course. But you can’t just order appetizers & dessert for example. You will pay $89 even if you only want an entree.

Not sure what you mean. It’s a prix fixe meal… the set cost is $89 +tax & gratuity for 3 courses. Yes you get several options to choose from for each course. But you can’t just order appetizers & dessert for example. You will pay $89 even if you only want an entree.
Ok, to me a price fixe menu is more of a chef choice ….

Ok, to me a price fixe menu is more of a chef choice ….

No, the definition means a meal of several courses at a set price. There are several prix fixe meals @ WDW… LTT, CG, Space 220, CRT, BOG & Monsieur Paul all come to mind. Plus Chefs of France has a prix fixe option plus an al a carte menu. They all give you several options for each course.

Some restaurants have a Chef’s Table. I have never been to one but I believe thats when you would get a meal more of the chef’s choice.

Last edited:
No, the definition means a meal of several courses at a set price. There are several prix fixe meals @ WDW… LTT, CG, Space 220, CRT, BOG & Monsieur Paul all come to mind. Plus Chefs of France has a prix fixe option plus an al a carte menu. They all give you several options for each course.

Some restaurants have a Chef’s Table. I have never been to one but I believe thats when you would get a meal more of the chef’s choice.
So it’s more like having the dinning plan…..
got it thanks

food was still amazing last time I was there

Had a meal at CG this past trip (two weeks ago), and honestly was less than impressed. I got the pork loin, and it wasn't terrible, my drink wasn't good, the Sunshine Margarita was better at the GF pool, and we have dined at CG every year. I was also disappointed that when I got up to go see the fireworks, I left my meal which still had food, only to come back and it be gone. I guess our waitress thought I was done?

Both are great. I absolutely LOVED the food at Steakhouse 71 - I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed our meal there. The service was absolutely stellar, too, in a way that felt more intimate than Cali Grill (which isn't to say Cali Grill service is poor by ANY means, it's just bigger in a way that probably makes it harder for staff to make the experience feel personalized). It's a really great spot at reasonable prices.

Still, I'd recommend California Grill for a special night. The food is amazing and whether you see the fireworks or not (which, while we've eaten there plenty of times we have yet to see the fireworks from the terrace), the view is really something special.

I also always recommend Narcoossees at Grand Floridian as well. I know it's not one of the choices here (and also it's kind of wonky getting a reservation right now, I think), but it's my absolute favorite. Food and service are outstanding (they really go above and beyond here). You can an intimate feel and a beautiful view. I think it's so underrated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter