• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Called for Jury Duty during planned Vacation

wishinon3stars

Mouseketeer
We have a trip planned to Disney the end of Sept and my daughter yesterday got jury duty summons beginning that same week. We sent in a letter requesting postponement along with nonrefundable airline receipt and hotel receipt.

Has this happened to anyone else and what do you think the chances are of her postponement being granted?

:sad2:

Usually getting a postponement is not a problem especially if it is the first request for a postponement. I wouldn't worry too much.

Funny - I was asking myself the very same thing as of late...

I had a family reunion booked for 7/31 through 8/1. 8/2 is our wedding anniversary...

Got a summons ONE week out for Jury Duty 8/2.... (BAD day...trying to catch up for work AND my anniversary!)

Well - I faxed over a letter explaining my reservations AND then I called...

I made sure to tell them that I WOULD serve...just at a later date. She asked me when... I said September.... then got a date of 9/20 in the mail.

Whew!

Mind you...this is in another state.

Good luck to you !

Mary

I was called for jury duty after years of complaining that I never dot to do it when DH & DM were called several times.
Anyway of course it was during our 1st DVC trip.

I just called & told them I had this trip booked months ago.
They postponed it no problem.

As it turned out I only served one day. I had problems getting babysitting for the whole week.
Boy what a WASTE of tax payers money that whole system is.
The guy was caught on video tape breaking in & still this long ex[ensive ordeal.

We're hoping for the best. This is the first time she's been requested for jury duty. We got the letter yesterday and we wrote up the request letter and brought it right back to the post office so they received it today.

The instructions we received said NOT to call but to reply by letter so that is what we did. I hope we get a reply sooner rather than later.

Who would have thought that in 24 years of living in NH and 5 of us in the family, we've never been summoned for jury duty and then one of us gets it the exact week of our vacation?

It happened to our son trip before last. He got an automatic postponement for 6 months, and by the time that came around, he had moved out of state.

Ha! This just happened to me. :laughing:

I booked our trip on Saturday and I got my Jury summons on Wednesday. I was supposed to report: 1. while we were on our WDW vacation 2. on our DD's birthday! Um...NO! :mad:

Luckily, I live in a county where they allow you to postpone up to 6 months past your summons date. They actually let me pick the date I wanted to postpone to. Well, that worked out! :thumbsup2

There shouldn't be an issue with at least postponing. Hope she gets it all sorted out.

Thanks for letting me know it has worked out positively for all you.

I heard on this morning's news that all the courts were closed yesterday to save money due to the budget cuts so that's just one day longer we'll have to wait for an answer. :snail:

Linda
:tink:

My husband got called to report during our disney trip last year.They gave him the postponement , but he had to report to the court when he got back .

We have a trip planned to Disney the end of Sept and my daughter yesterday got jury duty summons beginning that same week. We sent in a letter requesting postponement along with nonrefundable airline receipt and hotel receipt.

Has this happened to anyone else and what do you think the chances are of her postponement being granted?

:sad2:

Well i know in MA. you can postpone it once, but when they send you the next date you HAVE to go.

If you got travel insurance you may be covered. Access America covers you for travel insurance...

My father (a retiree) was on a vacation out West and when I went to pick up his mail he got a summons for court. I called the number on the letter and informed them that he was out of town and was unable to serve. I also stated that he was 70 years old. They said that was fine and I would not need to worry about jury duty for him

That's my life theory Talk to them the worst they can say is no.

My sister just recently got called for jury duty and we just got back from a big trip. I been called in the past. And my parents and sister have been called several times.

I took a book and spent several hours in the waiting room. I almost got into a trial but at the last minute they turned us around and then I was sent home. It harder in South Florida because then I had to call every day to see if they needed me.

I've gotten more postponements than you could imagine, got myself taken off the juror list for a federal court, that just doesn't bother with me any more. I've "technically" served as a juror several times in our county court, though I've never actually stepped foot in the place, just did the phone in, and never had to report.

Give them a call, they'll give you a postponement or just don't respond at all, play dumb, and they'll just send you another summons for a different time. The summons isn't sent return receipt requested, they can't prove that you actually received it, and they'll go a couple of rounds of you not responding without getting really serious about it.

Of course if you push it for long enough, they'll probably play a bit harder, but ignoring one, or even two notices isn't going to get their attention much, they'll just figure you are away from home or something.

It harder in South Florida because then I had to call every day to see if they needed me.

Here you have to SHOW UP every day to see if they need you. And then you wait in a room until you're called. It can be up to a week of showing up.

And that's AFTER having a day where you have to go to the convention center with thousands of other people and line up for the weeks you want. It's an insane system.

I am a teacher and I have never had a problem postponing my jury duty until one of my vacations :eek:

Be sure to notify the court promptly. You have a pretty good chance of getting your turn scheduled for later.

Recently, I served and during the time we were being carefully scrutinized by the prosecution and the defense team, they specifically asked us if we had any travel plans that might interfere with a long trial. They even offered "going to Disney World" as an example!

1) They usually will postpone.
2) If not, write a simple note that you think he/she is guilty.
3) And should be hung, if possible, even for a minor offense.
4) That will do the trick.

1) They usually will postpone.
2) If not, write a simple note that you think he/she is guilty.
3) And should be hung, if possible, even for a minor offense.
4) That will do the trick.

It's more likely to get you held in contempt of court.

Seriously, though, a deferral should not be an issue. Most states will give one automatically, because amongst other reasons litigators want a jury that is focused and committed, and a juror who was planning to be on vacation, or about to leave on vacation if the trial runs long, is not likely to be either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter