• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Called for Jury Duty during planned Vacation

I The summons isn't sent return receipt requested, they can't prove that you actually received it, and they'll go a couple of rounds of you not responding without getting really serious about it.

Of course if you push it for long enough, they'll probably play a bit harder, but ignoring one, or even two notices isn't going to get their attention much, they'll just figure you are away from home or something.

My MIL did that and ended up with a bench warrant for her arrest until she served. Then when she did serve she ended up on a sequestered jury!! :lmao:
She never let it go again!

Wow, I wonder if Disney reservation system is tied in with the judicial system. :)

I just received my very first summons, which is scheduled for next week, just 10 days before I have to go back to work.

Many friends have said to just ignore it since the state of FL hardly has the money or manpower to enforce it - but, I'm not taking that chance.

It'll be a new experience.

CT also allows one postponement. I wouldn't stress about it at all. I am sure a postponement will not be a problem.

My MIL did that and ended up with a bench warrant for her arrest until she served. Then when she did serve she ended up on a sequestered jury!! :lmao:
She never let it go again!

Wow, that stinks for her. In my experience, you would have to ignore more than one or two notices to get that kind of attention.

Hmmm ... is a sequestered jury that bad?

You can casually notify various case attorneys (if you can identify them) that it will be difficult for you to keep your mind on the trial during what should be your vacation time, or if you know the case, that you might be prejudiced about the litigants or the outcome (don't go into details). But often your rejection has to be done in person, at jury member selection time on or about the first day you needed to report, which does not solve the problem. Also, you might not know what case you might be assigned to if there is more than one.

If you made a request for a postponement in timely fashion and were turned down and you went on vacation anyway, you can still appeal any contempt charge.

A related question. What, pray, happens if you are called for jury duty to start just after an out of town trip and got stranded out of town due to a cancelled flight or something?

In NH the length of jury duty is 7 weeks. You have to report that first Monday morning. And I'm assuming if you don't get picked you go home. Then you report every other Monday morning for the 7 weeks. At least that's how I interpreted the letter.

I hope we hear this week on her request for postponement. And I wonder if they'll postpone the whole 7 weeks or if she'll need to report when we get back for the remaining 6 weeks.

Back in the summer of 2003 I got called for 2 months of Grand Jury. I called and explained I had a WDW trip booked for August. I was told not a problem and I'd be assigned to the fall Grand Jury. That one was for 3 months, but I enjoyed it. We only met 1 to 3 times per week and only twice did we go a full day.

Our first day there were 3 people who did not show up that morning, but did show up with a sheriffs deputy a few hours later. The judge was not nice with them.

I read about one fellow who did not show up and was arrested. When brought before the judge, the judge asked him if he wanted to be tried before a jury of those who did show up. :laughing:

I just received my very first summons, which is scheduled for next week, just 10 days before I have to go back to work.

Many friends have said to just ignore it since the state of FL hardly has the money or manpower to enforce it - but, I'm not taking that chance.

It'll be a new experience.

Yeah I would go too. Florida will enforce it.

Postponements are normally not a problem, I was attending school so they just moved me to the next round which is after January. Of course then my father got to thinking that I really can't serve due to a medical issue anyway..so will have to ask to be excused next time around or move...whichever comes first.

My daughter got her letter yesterday from the courts. She got her postponement for jury duty until January of next year! So we are all good to go and she says she can once again get excited for our trip!

Thanks for everyone's responses!:thumbsup2

My husband got a jury duty notice a week ago to show up on 9/07 and he sent the form back stating that he had served within the three years allotment and he was going on vacation on 9/09. We figured it would be fine but he just got a denial in the mail saying he served in 7/07 so it's been three years but nothing about vacation. Now it looks like they expect him to go. I think they read the info about three years and didn't read the rest.

We called here every few years like clockwork. I know people who never have been called and I've served 2 already and been called at least 4 times.

He's going to call and see what happens. If not, my sister is a lawyer so I'll ask her to help out. YIKES! :scared1:

We're able to postpone twice here. You can even do it online and pick the date you want to go in. Also, not sure if it was a coincidence or not, but the last time I postponed I noticed that when they were calling the groups to go to the various courts for jury selection, they were calling blocks of numbers (as opposed to individuals) that were much higher than the number I held. I guess it's easier for them that way, but it makes me wonder if anyone that postpones ever gets picked.

Wow, jury duty in Canada is a lot different I got a notice for 3 different trials and took the paper work in and said I couldn't do it and no problem. When we get a summons it is for one specific trial. I couldn't imagine having to report for 7 weeks.

My daughter got her letter yesterday from the courts. She got her postponement for jury duty until January of next year! So we are all good to go and she says she can once again get excited for our trip!

Thanks for everyone's responses!:thumbsup2

Terrific!! :thumbsup2

Well, i happen to know all about this because i supervise an office here in our county in Kentucky and Jury Duty is part of my office! In my office, Vacations that are planned are no problem at all. We offer the choice of just having those days off, and you can serve the remainder of your 60 day duty or, you can postpone your service for up to 12 months. Be nice to your clerk :) and they should have no problem at all with working with you! If you need any advice let me know! :hug:

Hubby just called and then postponed him to the first week of October! :woohoo:Whew. One less thing to worry about.

My husband got a jury duty notice a week ago to show up on 9/07 and he sent the form back stating that he had served within the three years allotment and he was going on vacation on 9/09. We figured it would be fine but he just got a denial in the mail saying he served in 7/07 so it's been three years but nothing about vacation. Now it looks like they expect him to go. I think they read the info about three years and didn't read the rest.:
You shouldn't have mentioned the 3 year allotment, that just muddied the water and got them confused.

I've only ever been called once. It was back when I was in college. Sent in a letter asking for postponement. I was granted it starting the first week of my summer break. What a fun start to the summer! I went to a one day orientation and called back every day after 5p. Definitely made it hard to plan anything because I had to wait until the evening each day to know if I was free the following day...the price of being a good citizen. I haven't been called since.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter