Can a Daybed be a Special Needs/Handicap accomodation

Abharmagic

DIS Veteran
Hello-

DH has a business trip and is taking us along- yay! It's at YC/BC. Very exciting. Ds, my 7 year old, has Aspergers- mild, needs few accommodations and does well with regular old Fastpass.

That said he is a BEAR to sleep with. Restless legs- I swear he walks 10 miles in his sleep at night (all on the bed- haha). He is a teeth grinder, and a sleep talker, and is generally very difficult for anyone to sleep in the same bed with him. He even punched my poor husband in the face multiple times one night while dreaming- he was 4 at the time, and we laugh about it now. But ugh....

Usually when we book a room at a hotel we book a room with 2 Queens and a pull out bed. Or our past couple trips to WDW we brought a twin sized air mattress.

This trip what I'd really like is a room with a daybed, so we don't have to deal with the air mattress. Is there anyway to ask for that kind of accommodation due to disability on our room request? I am aware that both YC and BC have 2 Queen rooms with a daybed for families with 5 members, and have read many reviews of these properties where the reviewer had 4 or less people in their room and they had a day bed.

Any hints, tips, experience, advice?

I've never actually seen this question before and that surprises me now that I think about it.

I have no idea if it's something where they'd specifically block a room off for you, but I think it's worth calling and asking. You can say that you need it because your kids can't sleep together due to your son's disability. If you can get them to actually put the note on your reservation that it's medical need for the daybed, then you should be okay. If they won't do that, you can at least get the request noted. From what I can tell, most people who do a regular request for a daybed do get a room with a daybed.

I'm thinking it may depend on the resort. I don't believe the values will bring a roll-away cot because of the small rooms. Moderates or deluxe should be able to provide a rollaway cot. I assume that's what you mean by "daybed" -- if you truly want a sofa/bed then you would need to book a room that includes one.

Now, whether or not they would waive the extra fee for the rollaway is another question entirely. It's worth requesting, but be prepared for the extra (I think it's $10 per night, not sure). Depending on the length of your visit that can add up. You don't need to deflate the airmattress every night, just stand it up on the side or end to be out of the way.

Enjoy your vacation!

Sorry, I just re-read and you plan to be at YC/BC -- both offer rooms with a daybed. I would think you could book one. Or is that only a request (like first floor, etc.) and not a bookable category?

Sorry, I just re-read and you plan to be at YC/BC -- both offer rooms with a daybed. I would think you could book one. Or is that only a request (like first floor, etc.) and not a bookable category?

It's not a bookable category. If there are 5 people in your party you'll automatically get a room with a daybed. If there are fewer than 5 you can put it in as a request, but they don't guarantee (which is why I'm not sure if it can be added as a medical necessity rather than normal request).

Raises hand for the stupid question portion of this post:

If you have a room with 2 queen beds, why would you need a daybed?

I assume because no one can share with her son. So, mom and dad take one bed, daughter takes one bed, and son gets the daybed (or son gets Queen and daughter gets daybed).

I agree with the PP - I'd call to request a daybed and tell them the reason for the request.

Not stupid - I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps OP has 4 in her family; wish people would give complete explanations when asking questions.

OP has 2 kids. She and her husband will be in one of the queens. The daughter in the other queen and her son on the daybed.

I assume because no one can share with her son. So, mom and dad take one bed, daughter takes one bed, and son gets the daybed (or son gets Queen and daughter gets daybed).

I agree with the PP - I'd call to request a daybed and tell them the reason for the request.

Where does the OP mention a daughter?

I'm thinking it may depend on the resort. I don't believe the values will bring a roll-away cot because of the small rooms.

We stayed at Pop Century this past December.. we had a roll away the entire stay. They are limited in number, first come first served.. and $15.00 a day. You can request a week to 10 days prior to arrival via phone or fax ;)

Hello- DH has a business trip and is taking us along- yay! It's at YC/BC. Very exciting. Ds, my 7 year old, has Aspergers- mild, needs few accommodations and does well with regular old Fastpass. That said he is a BEAR to sleep with. Restless legs- I swear he walks 10 miles in his sleep at night (all on the bed- haha). He is a teeth grinder, and a sleep talker, and is generally very difficult for anyone to sleep in the same bed with him. He even punched my poor husband in the face multiple times one night while dreaming- he was 4 at the time, and we laugh about it now. But ugh.... Usually when we book a room at a hotel we book a room with 2 Queens and a pull out bed. Or our past couple trips to WDW we brought a twin sized air mattress. This trip what I'd really like is a room with a daybed, so we don't have to deal with the air mattress. Is there anyway to ask for that kind of accommodation due to disability on our room request? I am aware that both YC and BC have 2 Queen rooms with a daybed for families with 5 members, and have read many reviews of these properties where the reviewer had 4 or less people in their room and they had a day bed. Any hints, tips, experience, advice?

If you end up with a room without a daybed at the YC or BC - you can request a rollaway at no extra cost :)

Signatures only appear through the website. If you are using an app on a tablet or smartphone you don't see signatures.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer to read the DIS on my regular computer rather than viewing it through the app on my phone or ipad.

Yes, sorry, it's in my signature, I don't use the app so I didn't know you could not see that.

There are 4 of us. Dh, myself, DD (9) and DS (7) is the one with Aspergers. Dh and I would take one bed, DD would sleep alone, DS would have the daybed. We will be staying at either YC or BC as my DH is attending a conference there.

We are experienced with bringing an air mattress along for DS, but since the resort(s) we would be staying at have rooms with daybeds I was wondering if one could be requested for a family of 4. I assume a family of 5 booking at either resort would automatically get one.

Just wondering if it could be put in as a special needs/disability accommodation or request as the reason my son needs his own bed is directly related to his disability (for lack of a better word).

Yes, sorry, it's in my signature, I don't use the app so I didn't know you could not see that.

There are 4 of us. Dh, myself, DD (9) and DS (7) is the one with Aspergers. Dh and I would take one bed, DD would sleep alone, DS would have the daybed. We will be staying at either YC or BC as my DH is attending a conference there.

We are experienced with bringing an air mattress along for DS, but since the resort(s) we would be staying at have rooms with daybeds I was wondering if one could be requested for a family of 4. I assume a family of 5 booking at either resort would automatically get one.

Just wondering if it could be put in as a special needs/disability accommodation or request as the reason my son needs his own bed is directly related to his disability (for lack of a better word).

Thanks!! Did not see that on the phone.
Oh yeah.. Def Ask!! I know we booked at POR in the AB section with the murphy bed for us 4. My kids (both with DS) CANNOT sleep in the same bed.

When you call and reserve with a medical need, your reservation is flagged. That should be enough, but I wonder if those resorts have roll-aways, too. You could always pack the air mattress just in case.

Good luck.

It's not a bookable category. If there are 5 people in your party you'll automatically get a room with a daybed. If there are fewer than 5 you can put it in as a request, but they don't guarantee (which is why I'm not sure if it can be added as a medical necessity rather than normal request).

Thank you!

My 16yo Aspie can't share a bed with anybody. If there's a warm body by her then she just can't sleep. I assume it's a sensory issue. Because of this we also HAVE to have a 3rd bed.

We stayed at YC one trip. My TA said worked with a Special Needs department to have it noted that we had to have a day bed due to her autism and that they would make sure we got one. I'm not sure if it really went through that department or not (I trust her that they said it did but I don't know about on the Disney side of things) but we did get a room with a day bed which is what mattered. I'll admit that I was a bit of a nervous wreck until we got there because I wasn't sure and if we didn't get one none of us would be able to sleep the whole trip. I doubt I'll again book a resort where I can't guarantee a 3rd bed either because all rooms have one or based on booking category (ex. bunk bed rooms or deluxe rooms at resorts that otherwise only have 2 beds) because I NEED a guarantee and it was too much anxiety on my part not knowing for sure even though it did work out well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter