Can HP be done in 1 day?

mindy lou

Mouseketeer
Tagging along with DH for a conference next month and would like to take HP loving son to Uni for the first time. We would only have 1 day (thinking Wed July 19 would be best, but could do Thur or Fri). Will be staying at conference hotel, not on site and won't pay for EP.

Our primary focus is all things HP (DS has read each book at least 8 times)! Anything else would be a bonus. DS doesn't do big coasters (Disney style is ok) and I can't do motion simulator/VR rides so that eliminates a lot.

Is all of HP doable in 1 day in this scenario? Any types or strategies? We are pretty experienced Disney visitors, but my only uni trip was when I was 12!

TIA!

My son and I went the day after Thanksgiving. We were off site and didn’t pay for ep. He went on a lot more than I could due to motion sickness it the theming alone was amazing. You’ll need a park to park pass because the train starts in one and ends in the other. It’s a long walk from parking garage to gate so plan to arrive early. We started off in Hogsmeade, had breakfast at 3 broomsticks and went to Hogwarts wandered around then took the train to Diagon Alley. It’s fantastic! I couldn’t do the rides but still loved it.
We were able to see and ride all we wanted in HP by lunchtime then we went to other parts of the parks. We stayed until nighttime. Some of the other stuff we really liked was the Blues Bros car and pop up concert, the Dr Seuss land, the Simpson’s, Jurassic Park and the Minions. We didn’t get to everything in the parks but we hit the highlights and still had time to relax. We didn’t do the water park at all. It’s pricey and it would have been cheaper if we could have done two days but it’s definitely worth it and do-able.

There are 2 HP sections- one in each park. In Studios side, Diagon Alley- there is only one ride Escape from Gringotts- it’s a mix of screens w some coaster elements.

In IoA side is Hogsmeade, you have 3 rides there. Hippogriff which is a kiddie coaster like barnstormer, Hagrid’s motorbike-probably most popular and longest line in UO. You are in a sidecar or bike, some speed , backwards section, small drop like on Rise. Last is HP and Forbidden Journey in the Hogwarts Castle. The queue is spectacular. The ride has screens, physical sets w a ride vehicle on articulated arm. So you get lifted and turned. At one point you’re basically on your back looking up. Lots of people get motion sickness from this one and it has some dark elements as you get up close with spiders and dementors

There is also the train that goes between the 2 lands. The ride is different each way. The line can build up.

Each section has a HP QS restaurant and shops. Hogmeades can get super crowded w people. Diagon Alley has more room. There are also little shows in each section like Frog Choir or Celistina Warbucks.

You can buy a interactive wand for around 50 bucks and do spells that trigger effects in both sections

It’s definitely doable in one day but will be quite expensive with one day tickets plus the park to park.

I think you would both be okay on Gringotts, it's mild coaster elements & not particularly motion-sickness-causing. You should skip the FJ ride fue to motion sickness but can both walk through the queue together. The single rider line for that is usually super quick so it would be easy for him to hop on a second time that way with minimal wait. I think you both should be OK on Hagrids, it's mostly speed with no loops or big drops. It's a fun, immersive full size coaster that is not too intense for non-coaster peeps.

You can enter the parks during early entry, but not get all the way into the HP areas or onto any rides without EE credentials. That means you can get in and start looking around before opening, and they may release you to the rest of the park before official opening also. If EE is only in one park, start with the opposite & you'll get low crowds in the HP areas for a little while. If it is in both parks, you probably want to start in Studios because most of the EE crowd goes to Hagrids in Islands first.

Worst time for you to get in line for Hagrids will be morning right after EE; sometimes the line wanes in the afternoon, or evening, or you can hop in line right before park close. Even if it's over an hour wait, the queue is interesting, much is indoors (AC), and it moves steadily.

Hogwarts Express is worth waiting for once for a big HP fan. Depending on the line, it might not be worth waiting for both ways with your limited time. Ideally, go from Studios to Islands direction through Kings Cross, that queue is better & has platform 9 3/4.

Both HP restaurants are very well themed; I'd suggest an off-hours lunch at whichever menu appeals more. There is also the Hogs Head pub which tends to have shorter lines for Butterbeer than the outdoor carts. Do try Florean Fortescue's ice cream also, it's quite good. You can grab a cone then head over to watch one of the Tales of Beedle the Bard nearby.

Have fun!

Just wanted to emphasize what CAPSLOCK said above - definitely go through the castle even if not riding the Forbidden Journey ride. Lots to see for a fan, so many people rush through it, I always stop and take my time to listen to the talking portraits, Dumbledore hologram in his office, Harry, Hermione and Ron in the Dark Arts classroom. I just let the line go by me as I linger.

Don't miss the special effect at the top of the stairs in King's Cross where people disappear through the wall. Even if not riding Gringott's, you can get in the line to go into the bank and look around. There is so much that a fan would love - all the shops and shop windows, Knockturn Alley. Have fun!

You can ask for a Castle tour or a tour of Gringotts at the entrance to the queue. It's not guaranteed, but if they aren't too busy and have a TM available, they might do it. We got the Castle tour once and it was great! So informative and so many details to take in. Hope you have a super fun day!

Just wanted to emphasize what CAPSLOCK said above - definitely go through the castle even if not riding the Forbidden Journey ride. Lots to see for a fan, so many people rush through it, I always stop and take my time to listen to the talking portraits, Dumbledore hologram in his office, Harry, Hermione and Ron in the Dark Arts classroom. I just let the line go by me as I linger.

Don't miss the special effect at the top of the stairs in King's Cross where people disappear through the wall. Even if not riding Gringott's, you can get in the line to go into the bank and look around. There is so much that a fan would love - all the shops and shop windows, Knockturn Alley. Have fun!
I wish I had known I could do that!

Thank you for this thread! This is my exact question. DH is planning to take DD9 who just finished reading all the books. She’s not into any scary/fast rides, so I’m glad to hear the HP stuff can be done in a day :)

Any suggestions on food? Will they need reservations? I assume rope drop is key without express pass (they’ll be there a weekday in late August so hoping it’s not tooo crazy).

Also any ideas for what I should do with my other 2 kiddos that day (12 and 5)? I am toying with Aquatica, DS/mini golf, or Fort Wilderness, but if there’s anything else that we should consider let me know. I don’t want to do UO with them because the one day park-to-park tickets are quite the splurge and the two of them are interested in very different rides :) I’m

Thank you for this thread! This is my exact question. DH is planning to take DD9 who just finished reading all the books. She’s not into any scary/fast rides, so I’m glad to hear the HP stuff can be done in a day :)

Any suggestions on food? Will they need reservations? I assume rope drop is key without express pass (they’ll be there a weekday in late August so hoping it’s not tooo crazy).

Also any ideas for what I should do with my other 2 kiddos that day (12 and 5)? I am toying with Aquatica, DS/mini golf, or Fort Wilderness, but if there’s anything else that we should consider let me know. I don’t want to do UO with them because the one day park-to-park tickets are quite the splurge and the two of them are interested in very different rides :) I’m
If you’re not at a Universal hotel, you are behind the onsite guests and certain passholder who can get in a hour early so it’s probably easier to head to the park without the early entry. The 2 HP restaurants are Quick service. You may have to wait more if you’re there at peak dining times.

Last edited:
Aquatica is super fun, highly recommend it. They have a fast "lazy" river that is really a blast.

Usually you don't need reservations for lunch, especially for quieter times. The HP restaurants are modified quick service and don't take reservations regardless. You order, then sit, & they bring your food over. But they get very busy at prime lunch times.

There are 2 HP sections- one in each park. In Studios side, Diagon Alley- there is only one ride Escape from Gringotts- it’s a mix of screens w some coaster elements.

In IoA side is Hogsmeade, you have 3 rides there. Hippogriff which is a kiddie coaster like barnstormer, Hagrid’s motorbike-probably most popular and longest line in UO. You are in a sidecar or bike, some speed , backwards section, small drop like on Rise. Last is HP and Forbidden Journey in the Hogwarts Castle. The queue is spectacular. The ride has screens, physical sets w a ride vehicle on articulated arm. So you get lifted and turned. At one point you’re basically on your back looking up. Lots of people get motion sickness from this one and it has some dark elements as you get up close with spiders and dementors

There is also the train that goes between the 2 lands. The ride is different each way. The line can build up.

Each section has a HP QS restaurant and shops. Hogmeades can get super crowded w people. Diagon Alley has more room. There are also little shows in each section like Frog Choir or Celistina Warbucks.

You can buy a interactive wand for around 50 bucks and do spells that trigger effects in both sections

It’s definitely doable in one day but will be quite expensive with one day tickets plus the park to park.
On our first visit to Universal in a long time, we only went to the Studios side on a one day ticket. That was quite a while ago. We thought the Diagon Alley HP area was fantastic, very immersive and accurate as the books. The ride, Escape from Gringotts was just awesome, the best in the park IMO. There is so much to see and do in that one area that we didn't do it all. Be sure to go to Knockturn Alley if you can find it, LOL. It is very dark and mysterious and a lot of fun. Borgen and Burkes is amazing. If the OP only has one day, we would pick Studios side.

We did do the IOA side on another trip, and didn't care for Forbidden Journey. Like you said, the que is amazing, but the ride itself was too much up/down/side movement and I felt like I was going to go over backwards. The shops are amazing though.

If you’re not at a Universal hotel, you are behind the onsite guests and certain passholder who can get in a hour early so it’s probably easier to head to the park without the early entry. The 2 HP restaurants are Quick service. You may have to wait more if you’re there at peak dining times.
Ooh - great to know! I had assumed early entry was at both parks. Do you know where I can find the info in which park it’s at which days? We’ll be there in late August.

Ooh - great to know! I had assumed early entry was at both parks. Do you know where I can find the info in which park it’s at which days? We’ll be there in late August.
The Universal app updates hours more quickly than the website. Right now I can see through the end of July that IOA is the Early park. That probably will be the same for August, they often switch to US during Halloween Horror Nights which start Sept 1 this year. Always good to check though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter