Can I bring my iron on-board with me?

disneyeveryyear

DIS Veteran
All of the threads that have included laundry information state that you have to go to the laundry room to iron your clothes.

Both my DH and I are iron-a-holics. We would not think of leaving the cabin in the morning without ironing our clothes and those of our DS and DD.

The information says they have irons in the laundry room, but that they are not very good and you wouldn't want to iron your good clothes with them. What other clothes would I be bringing with me for my dream vacation?

Do they x-ray the bags before they are allowed on board? If they do, will they confiscate my travel iron? I figure as long as I keep it hidden in my locked suitcase they will never know it is there.

Has anyone tried this? Please let me know because I won't pack it if I can't use it.

Thanks

Actually the irons aren't allowed on board, because they are considered a fire hazard if used in the rooms. There really isn't any place to plug them in or use them either, so you'll probably have to use the irons in the laundry rooms. While I admit that the irons weren't that great, they weren't all that bad either. Iron all your clothes before you leave and pack them with tissue paper between them to help with creases. It really does help.

The reason irons are not allowed as they are quite the fire hazard and a fire on a ship in the middle of the ocean would not be a good thing :eek:
All luggage is xtrayed before being allowed on. I don't know if an iron would be picked up on but I wouldn't bother if I were you.

I bring very expensive clothes and never bring an iron, I pack carefully hang them right up I have never had any problems with wrinkles nor has DH or DS with their suits or dress shirts, you should be fine..

Wow.. someone who actually WANTS to iron when on Holiday.

You deserve a prize... a good citizenship award or something..

>>^..^<<

please go on the 1/3/2004 Western Cruise, I will pay you to iron our clothes. We'll be in #7560, but I'll bring our clothes to you. ;)

I try to pack things that "travel well" if you know what I mean... fabrics that are easy cares and spring right back after being in a suitcase for hours.

Occasionally I have had to hang something up in the bathroom and let hot steamy shower run for 20 minutes... that helps freshen clothes up.

I have never yet had to resort to the laundry facilites for ironing. (crossing fingers)

>>^..^<<

I agree that an iron in your cabin is a fire hazzard.

If you put your clothes in dry cleaner plastic bags when packing them, you should not have any wrinkles. If you do there are irons in the laundry room, or you can send your clothes out to be pressed.

sue

I am a iron-aholic as well and I just sent everything to the dry cleaners on board the first afternoon and most of it was back by that night! Make sure you check "press only" because obviously you don't want it cleaned. It was $20 for DH's & 3 DS's dress shirts (2 each, so 8), 2 of my shirts and 3 pairs of pants. Money well spent to not be ironing on my vacation! Although, I will confess, I took a few of my casual things that the "normal" non iron-aholic wouldn't dream of ironing, straight to the laundry room while I was unpacking and I was the only one there. The iron was totally acceptable, just bring a pillowcase to put between your clothes and the iron if you are concerned about it. I packed my formal dresses in a dry cleaning bag before putting them in the suitcase and they did not even need a touch up.

Have a great time!

I guess I will leave my iron at home. It will seem odd to not being ironing every morning or evening before bed. I have never left an iron on in my life, but I completely understand their concerns.

$20 seems like a great deal for them to iron all of that for you. Since this is my big birthday present, maybe I'll let someone iron it for me.

I never thought of the pillowcase. That will probably solve my problem.

Thanks to everyone for your help. It seems that everyone here is really concerned about the other posters. This is a great place to be!:D

I brought my iron on my last cruise. It was great! I packed it in my locked suitcase. It was so easy to just pull it out and do a quick ironing. If you opt to use the laundry room irons be prepared to stand in line (depending what time you go) Last cruise I did not realize the iron was so hot from someone else's prior use I burnt my pants. In the staterooms all I did was place a towel underneath and made sure I unplugged it. It work out very well.

ACTUALLY, the RULES do NOT say you can't bring your OWN iron, it SAYS not to use it in your room... I took mine AND used it in my room. Go ahead, Flame me... I know there are plenty others out there who feel the same... If you want to obey the rules, you CAN take your own, just use it in the laundry room. I wouldn't recommend using the ones provided. You may very well end up with brown stains on your clothes. I am an "ironer" also, I cannot go out without ironed clothes. I hate wrinkles...

Why would anyone want to risk a fire by ironing in your room. There are so many other options-iron in the laundry room, have them press it for you, or have a little wrinkle. Lighten up you are on Vacation!!

I'm pretty much neutral on this question because I don't even iron at home, let alone while I'm on vacation. We just bounce around the ship looking kind of wrinkly. But I did get a good idea of why they don't want irons on board on one of our trips, when I saw that the desk had the perfect imprint of an iron scorched into it. I'm sure the person who did that thought that they would never leave an iron on, but it looked like they were lucky they didn't cause a fire (charging for damage like that would be a good way to deter people).
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

We had an iron print on our carpet when we sailed on the Century (celebrity) that really made me nervous. Buy some wrinkle release or we have used a travel steamer they work great for getting our the wrinkles.
There really is no where in your cabin for ironing. Tissue paper and drycleaner bags or large trash bags will keep your clothes wrinkle free.

WOW, everyone just made me feel bad. I cann't tell you when I last had an iron in my hands, everything goes in the dryer to dry or fluff and it looks ok to me.

I brought out the ironing board and iron before we cruised and my kids said when did we get an iron!

The dry cleaners does my husband's shirts, and I occasionally use a steamer for dress clothes, but other than that the clothes are hung straight out of the dryer.

I never ironed a thing when we cruised. I packed everything in dry cleaner bags, and nothing seemed wrinkled enough to warrant taking them to get ironed or sending them out!

Don't own an iron. If it can't be worn right out of the wash, my kids don't wear it. Dress shirts go to the laundry. If I felt posessed to reiron his shirts on the cruise(well, first he'd take me to the medical center because clearly I was over the edge) but then I'd call the room steward and ask him to take it away and not bring it back 'til it was crisp.;)

As usual Inkkognito sums it up best. Run around and have fun-don't worry about wrinkles. My children laugh at me because I quote Barb when I talk about the cruise. Hopefully one day we'll meet. Where's the 30th trip report- I can't wait.

Okay, I have to admit, I don't iron at home - if it's wrinkled it goes back in the dryer but on our 9/14/02 cruise I went to the laundry room with a few pieces. 6am is a great time to go!! A suggestion, if you are worried about stains from the iron or the temp buy a teflon iron cover and pack that. Some other great 'wrinkle aids' are dryell and downy wrinkle release.
When breaking the rules could cause loss of life it isn't worth a wrinkless shirt. I'd rather see you at dinner in shorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter