Can someone explain what members are doing to make availability show the way it does?

dismedvc

DIS Veteran
Today is January 29th. I want to book December 29th. When I look a little before 8:00 am eastern time, I see the 29th is available, and every day a week before the 28th is also available, but the 28th is not. Right at 8:00 am I refresh and see the 29th is no longer available, no problem someone beat me to it. However, it now shows the 28th is available.
Why would someone who had the 28th cancel right at 8:00 am?
If they had the 28th and wanted the 29th, they would have added the 29th before 8:00 am and could cancel the 28th anytime later on the 29th or even before 8:00 am the morning of the 30th.
This has been happening for the past few weeks, where only the day before is unavailable right before 8:00 am, but then that "day before" becomes available a few seconds after 8:00 am.
Sorry if the above is confusing, just curious what is going on. Below is how it looks now on the afternoon of the 29th. TIA.

1706561981264.png

People "walk" reservations. They start to book their reservations in advance of when they actually need them and then remove the first day and add an additional day as it opens up. Very common at high demand times.
It's a highly debated practice. Personally, I think it should not be allowed (but I'm also a purist that thinks there should be a limit on how often you rent your points out to others) but others think it's just how it should be done.
My recommendation is to book what you can and piece together your reservation when you are done. (Call Member Services once all the nights are booked separately and ask them to merge in into one reservation.) It typically works out ok in the end.

It is odd that the 28th is appearing as available at the same moment that the 29th disappears. As @2boysmommy said, it could be someone "Walking" a reservation. So they are moving their reservation from say Dec 28th - Jan 2nd to Dec 29th - Jan 3rd. Meanwhile, someone ELSE is grabbing that Dec 29th availability.

That said, once you have the reservation booked, there's no reason to "walk" your reservation right at 8 AM, so the likelihood of this all happening right at 8 AM every day seems remote.

I have in the past pieced together a reservation by following walkers as they move their reservation. It's frustrating and a lot of work though.

People "walk" reservations. They start to book their reservations in advance of when they actually need them and then remove the first day and add an additional day as it opens up. Very common at high demand times.
It's a highly debated practice. Personally, I think it should not be allowed (but I'm also a purist that thinks there should be a limit on how often you rent your points out to others) but others think it's just how it should be done.
My recommendation is to book what you can and piece together your reservation when you are done. (Call Member Services once all the nights are booked separately and ask them to merge in into one reservation.) It typically works out ok in the end.
So they are moving their reservation from say Dec 28th - Jan 2nd to Dec 29th - Jan 3rd. Meanwhile, someone ELSE is grabbing that Dec 29th availability.

I understand walking, but the fact that the 29th shows available but not the 28th right before 8:00 am means someone who has the 28th does not have the 29th at that time. If they were walking, in addition to having the 28th, they would also make sure they had the 29th before 8:00 am on the 29th.

Attachments

• 1706564779362.png
    1706564779362.png
    61 KB · Views: 5

I understand walking, but the fact that the 29th shows available but not the 28th right before 8:00 am means someone who has the 28th does not have the 29th at that time. If they were walking, in addition to having the 28th, they would also make sure they had the 29th before 8:00 am on the 29th.
That's why it would have to be two separate people. One person walking their reservation and another person booking the 29th up. That's why i said it seems unlikely!

That's why it would have to be two separate people. One person walking their reservation and another person booking the 29th up. That's why i said it seems unlikely!
I agree, it is so strange that someone is canceling the 28th seconds after 8:00 am.
This has been the case for the last two weeks. Every day only the "day before" is unavailable right before 8:00 am, but seconds after 8:00 am the day before is available and only the current day is unavailable, while 7 days before the current cay and 7 days after the current day are available.

I agree, it is so strange that someone is canceling the 28th seconds after 8:00 am.
This has been the case for the last two weeks. Every day only the "day before" is unavailable right before 8:00 am, but seconds after 8:00 am the day before is available and only the current day is unavailable, while 7 days before the current cay and 7 days after the current day are available.

That is exactly what happens with walking. It different people checking in and out and when the 28th is gone and the 29th is open, it means there is at least one party checking out on the 29th.

So this morning before 8 a.m. you saw the 28th was booked and the 29th and after open. Then starting at 8 a.m. the 29th filled and then the 28th opened. That is an effect of walking. This morning there were still some rooms open (and not already taken by anyone) that were quickly taken by members who had no reservation yet. Then at the same time or a little after 8, walkers who had the 28th as a start date dropped it and added a date to the end of their reservation, which was a date after Dec 29, thus opening up time on the 28th, but having no impact on availability for the 29th.

I do not know the resort and room type you are seeking, but what your calendar does indicate is that there are many walkers for the resort and room category you want, but for which there is likely no need to walk, because Dec 21 to 28 is now open and for a truly hard to get room at Christmas time at 11-months out, that would not exist. For example, BLT standard view would likely show a lot of those open days already gone while lake view rooms usually remain open for some time past 11-months out.

So this morning before 8 a.m. you saw the 28th was booked and the 29th and after open. Then starting at 8 a.m. the 29th filled and then the 28th opened. That is an effect of walking. This morning there were still some rooms open (and not already taken by anyone) that were quickly taken by members who had no reservation yet. Then at the same time or a little after 8, walkers who had the 28th as a start date dropped it and added a date to the end of their reservation, which was a date after Dec 29, thus opening up time on the 28th, but having no impact on availability for the 29th.

I do not know the resort and room type you are seeking, but what your calendar does indicate is that there are many walkers for the resort and room category you want, but for which there is likely no need to walk, because Dec 21 to 28 is now open and for a truly hard to get room at Christmas time at 11-months out, that would not exist. For example, BLT standard view would likely show a lot of those open days already gone while lake view rooms usually remain open for some time past 11-months out.
My snip was for BWV 2BR standard. What you say somewhat makes sense, but if the walkers were trying to get NYE and had had the 28th through say the 30th they would not have to drop the 28th at exactly 8:00 am. Thier plan would be modify their reservation to add the 31st and to drop the 28th sometime on the 29th, but they would not need to do that at exactly 8:00 am on the 29th. Also, if it was only walkers "today" (whatever today was prior to 12/31) would not be available just before 8:00 am. (It would only be available the next day after the walkers dropped it)

Last edited:
That is exactly what happens with walking. It different people checking in and out and when the 28th is gone and the 29th is open, it means there is at least one party checking out on the 29th.
However, when seconds after 8:00 am on the 29th the 28th becomes available that means someone who was scheduled to check out on the 29th has move their check out date to the 28th.

My snip was for BWV 2BR standard. What you say somewhat makes sense, but if the walkers were trying to get NYE and had had the 28th through say the 30th they would not have to drop the 28th at exactly 8:00 am. Thier plan would be modify their reservation to add the 31st and to drop the 28th sometime on the 29th, but they would not need to do that at exactly 8:00 am on the 29th. Also, if it was only walkers "today" (whatever today was prior to 12/31) would not be available just before 8:00 am. (It would only be available the next day after the walkers dropped it)
Those are very likely walkers. That's how it looks when a room it's being walked. A lot believe they have to modify at 8 every day.

Also, they're likely walking Marathon Weekend.

However, when seconds after 8:00 am on the 29th the 28th becomes available that means someone who was scheduled to check out on the 29th has move their check out date to the 28th.

No, it means that walkers got on at 8 am and shifted it forward, and you have those following behind the walkers picking up what was dropped

So, at 8 am this morning, all those checking out on the 28th had rooms show up and those who modified it dropped as well.

I see now as @Sandisw said, it was not people moving their checkout date, it was people moving their check in date forward that frees up the day before the current day. Just not sure why they would do that at exactly 8:00 on the current day. They could do it anytime between 8:00 am on the current day and 8:00 am the following day.

Computer walkers.

I saw the same thing happen for a few weeks when I was trying to book a 2 bedroom at BWV for wine and dine. 7:59:59 it showed the room available, 8:00:00 the room was no longer available. I wanted a boardwalk view, but ended up with a pool/garden, which I'm ok with, since at least I'm still at the boardwalk

Walking is one of those things that people say they don’t mind because it doesn’t affect them, but it’s becoming so prevalent it’s going to force a vicious cycle where people walk reservations that don’t even need walking and the system is going to suck for everyone. Especially with people wanting to profit off spec rentals.

I see now as @Sandisw said, it was not people moving their checkout date, it was people moving their check in date forward that frees up the day before the current day. Just not sure why they would do that at exactly 8:00 on the current day. They could do it anytime between 8:00 am on the current day and 8:00 am the following day.

They don't have to do it right at 8 am, but at least some do that they in the seconds it takes to refresh the screen from getting the "not available", at least a few are back.

When you start to see the rooms not come back, then you know that you have entered a time when owners are booking for trips they really want and its not just walkers anymore taking up the rooms.

BWV Standard View Studios go fast, and seem to be walked a lot. Since the 2 BRs are lock-offs, if the studios go, then the 2BR does too (or if they are being walked, you would see that when trying to book your 2BR).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter