Can we just start talking about Halloween now????

How many of you are planning your costumes? Do you even dress up? Just curious how many adults dress for the occasion.
I'm planning at least two costumes. I dress up during the day for the parks (not costume, just vintage/Dapper Day style). I can't speak to the West Coast, but at WDW many adults are in costume.

How many of you are planning your costumes? Do you even dress up? Just curious how many adults dress for the occasion.

A lot of people dress up. Some go all out, some of group costumes, and some just wear themed t-shirts, etc. If you dress up you will fit right in. If you don’t, no one really minds. Last year I just wore a Captain America shirt but I got some good banter from Malificent because of it.

We dressed up the first year. It was 80 degrees, and I was dying in my Capt. America costume. Good thing I didn’t bring the shield!

Last year DD and DW dressed up. Brought a Jack Sparrow costume, but wasn’t able to change into it.

next time we go, we’ll definitely dress up. Sadly no trip possible this year.

Thank you for posting this! We just heard the rumors that WDW won't be doing MNSSHP.... so we're headed for our first OBB! I was searching the boards for details when I saw this. 😍

We have been to MNSSHP more times than I can count (like love it so much that once we shelled out the bucks to go 3 times during our WDW trip and we always went twice), and last October we went to OBB for the first time. You won't be disappointed. OBB was great! We had WDW booked last October, but with the ridiculous increase in the package price, along with reduced entertainment and no MNSSHP we cancelled. I love WDW in the fall, but the loss of MNSSHP is a huge hit in my opinion. I heard that after hours event substitute just wasn't good. We don't have any interest in that. The OBB feel is very similar to MNSSHP. So fun to see what everyone is wearing. We loved seeing DLR's different version of the parade. We absolutely loved the characters on stage in the treat lines- they were so interactive and funny and it really beat standing in line for an hour.

I have heard the amount of candy is crazy. Need to bring some backpacks for sure!

It was insane. You definitely can wind up with a ton if that is what you want -- the treat lines were short so you could go through again and again if they had a kind you liked too. We were just in the treat lines to see the characters- didn't want the candy. We eat so much other sweet junk at the parks at DLR (or WDW) that the candy will just sit in the room and get thrown away because we won't eat it there and don't want to add the suitcase weight to take it on the plane. They couldn't believe we didn't want the candy and kept trying to get us to take a bunch, even after we said no thanks. You can definitely get backpacks full if you focus on candy.

Lots of adults were dressed up. There were lots that were not too-- you would be fine either way. It is really fun to dress up and see what others have come up with to wear. That really makes the atmosphere of the party. At OBB, DD and I were Fairy Godmother and Rags Cinderella. DH-usually just wears a character T-shirt- but this year we got him to put on the Kristoff vest the Disney store sold last fall. That is the most costume we have ever gotten him to wear at Disney.

Last edited:
We have been to MNSSHP more times than I can count (like love it so much that once we shelled out the bucks to go 3 times during our WDW trip and we always went twice), and last October we went to OBB for the first time. You won't be disappointed. OBB was great! We had WDW booked last October, but with the ridiculous increase in the package price, along with reduced entertainment and no MNSSHP we cancelled. I love WDW in the fall, but the loss of MNSSHP is a huge hit in my opinion. I heard that after hours event substitute just wasn't good.
Honestly, the loss of MNSSHP is a big deal to us. We rarely go to WDW when it isn't MNSSHP. We've been ever year since 2006, except for the years where we did Disneyland instead. Our last Disneyland Halloween included the 999 Happy Haunts behind the scenes tour, and was amazing. I've got big hopes that OBB can replace MNSSHP - because despite loving the Villains' Night After Hours, I'm not a fan of the Boo Bash. At. All. It felt like a lot of money for almost no Halloween stuff. It could have been almost any After Hours event. Heck, they didn't even have the caramel stuffed pretzels! :P

We're definitely planning for Halloween, but we don't have any days set up. I think we'll try for 2 parties this year. Our record is 3 parties in one trip when they had Mickey's Halloween Party lol That was a lot of fun.

Multiple parties is awesome - was it just adults or your whole family?

We're definitely dressing up. DH and I have decided we're going as Vanellope and Ralph. Kids are still undecided.

So I was just looking at the food from last year and now I'm wondering how I can lose 20lbs before October so I can put it all back on during a 5 day visit. :rotfl2:

And now you see why we had zero interest in collecting a bunch of Halloween candy at OBB! I would really like one of those Strawberry Chocolate Mickey head Beignets right now- those were the best.

I planning a quick trip October 1st through the 5th. It will be our first Disneyland trip in October/Halloween season but we did spend 4 days at Tokyo Disney mid October 2018. Right now we are planning a girls trip, just myself and my 13 year old. Our last Disneyland trip was August 2012 so we are definitely ready for another visit!

We did our first Oogie Boogie Bash last year and it was so fun. Highly recommended. I can’t wait until they bring back the special WOC. We did get candy, but we were driving home so no issues with transport. If you really want candy, you have the opportunity to get a ton of it.

I planning a quick trip October 1st through the 5th. It will be our first Disneyland trip in October/Halloween season but we did spend 4 days at Tokyo Disney mid October 2018. Right now we are planning a girls trip, just myself and my 13 year old. Our last Disneyland trip was August 2012 so we are definitely ready for another visit!

So jealous you got to go to Tokyo-that's on my list!

We did our first Oogie Boogie Bash last year and it was so fun. Highly recommended. I can’t wait until they bring back the special WOC. We did get candy, but we were driving home so no issues with transport. If you really want candy, you have the opportunity to get a ton of it.

I am REALLY hopeful WOC will be happening this October :)

We always dress up. It's my favorite time of year. I was just asking because it seems like the last time we were there for Halloween, not many adults were dressed up in costume. A lot of themed tee shirts for sure.

Does anyone have any idea when tickets will go on sale? We've narrowed down when our trip will be - late September - so I want to be sure not to miss tickets for that week. :)

We always dress up. It's my favorite time of year. I was just asking because it seems like the last time we were there for Halloween, not many adults were dressed up in costume. A lot of themed tee shirts for sure.

For the OBB or just around Halloween time? Last year when we went I felt like a lot of adults were dressed up for OBB.

For the OBB or just around Halloween time? Last year when we went I felt like a lot of adults were dressed up for OBB.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to attend OBB. We were originally scheduled to go to WDW, but changed our minds due to the major spike in Covid cases in FL at the time...so I literally changed our plans with less than 30 days to departure. All OBB tix were sold out. This year, I'm keeping an eye out on tix, and keeping the dates. Last minute plan changes can definitely ruin your fun. :D

Unfortunately, we didn't get to attend OBB. We were originally scheduled to go to WDW, but changed our minds due to the major spike in Covid cases in FL at the time...so I literally changed our plans with less than 30 days to departure. All OBB tix were sold out. This year, I'm keeping an eye out on tix, and keeping the dates. Last minute plan changes can definitely ruin your fun. :D

I have a countdowns on my phone for pretty much everything this year. Estimated timing of ticket sales, when to make park reservations, when to make dining reservations, etc. Time needs to hurry up!

Not planning just yet, but we dress up whenever we go as we plan around OBB. Usually it depends on which of my friends confirm that they can go and then we'll discuss what we're dressing up as.

Last year we were dressed up as characters from Emperor's New Groove.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter