Can you rent wheelchairs at the resorts?

disneyfanforever

DIS Veteran
We are leaving for Disney World soon with my grandmother. She has never been before and will be needing a wheelchair. We are staying at the Boardwalk Villas and are wondering if we can rent on at the resort itself. If we can, are we able to keep it the lenght of our stay which is a week? Also, does anyone know the rental fee there?

Also, what is the policy on wheelchair rental at the parks? If you rent one say at Epcot but later go to MGM do you have pay for the rental twice or is there some kind of ticket that allows you to only pay once.

Thanks

Wheelchairs are avaialbe at the resorts on a first-come-first-served basis, to be used throughout the WDW property. They often charge a $250 deposit, fully refundable. Another very good option is to rent from an outside company.. The ones that get the most mention are

Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical

If you rent at one park, keep your receipt and you can get a wheelchair IF AVAILABLE at the next park on the same day. I would very strongly recommend, if your grandmother has difficulty walking or tires easily, that you get a wheelchair that can be used outside the parks.
There is more information about pacing and traveling with elderly in the disABILITIES FAQ - just click on the link in my signature, below.

I hope you have a great trip!

i want to add a little bit to teri's advice. if the resort has one available, you get whatever they have. They might have an extra wide one, when what you really need is an extra narrow one. Even though you can get one for free, many people prefer to rent from one of the outside If you rent from the parks, the walk from the Boardwalk to Epcot or MGM looks short, but it is quite a ways away. There is also a fairly large hill right befor you get out of the Boardwalk area (over a bridge). So you would be better off to have a wheelchair that she can use outside the parks.

I agree that it is not enough to rent one at the parks. The walk from the park after you return the chair, out to the parking lot, and then around your resort, can be long if walking is difficult. If the hotel has one available, you can have it for the duration of your stay without charge. But the key is, "if they have one available". You could check with them first, then if they don't have one for you, you could look into renting one from one of the outside companies mentioned above. From what I read, they will deliver it to your resort, and also pick it up when you are through with it. I am not sure what they charge but I think it is similar to what they charge in the parks. Good luck.

We have nver rented a wheelchair form one of the outside companies because DD owns her own. The prices are listed on their websites for the most part. From what DIS posters have written, it is less expensive to rent by the week from one of the off site companies and they will deliver to a WDW resort hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter