Can you share your experience?

Disneywedding2010

DIS Veteran
Can you share your experience with me on going through airport security with a wheelchair?

I've never done this before and will be doing it for our Christmas trip. Is it an easy process? I'm kind of anxious because I don't know what to expect (yes I know I'm a dork).

Thanks!

You are not a dork at all!

Is it a power wheelchair? Or a manual wheelchair?

Manual wheelchair is not a really big deal. We usually try to get to the airport earlier than I would if we were all walking...just to allow for extra time with security.

Go through the handicapped security line and they will scan you separately based on how much mobility you have and what sort of equipment you have. They may test any liquid medications you need or even xray a cast, etc. They also use swabs that test for bomb making materials.

We carry Lauren's card stating she has a baclofen pump and metal rods in her back in case they trigger something on a scan.

If you are traveling with a power chair, then there are definitely more hints.

No matter what, you can "gate check" your wheelchair and have them return it to you at the gate when your plane lands.

You are not a dork at all!

Is it a power wheelchair? Or a manual wheelchair?

Manual wheelchair is not a really big deal. We usually try to get to the airport earlier than I would if we were all walking...just to allow for extra time with security.

Go through the handicapped security line and they will scan you separately based on how much mobility you have and what sort of equipment you have. They may test any liquid medications you need or even xray a cast, etc. They also use swabs that test for bomb making materials.

We carry Lauren's card stating she has a baclofen pump and metal rods in her back in case they trigger something on a scan.

If you are traveling with a power chair, then there are definitely more hints.

No matter what, you can "gate check" your wheelchair and have them return it to you at the gate when your plane lands.

Sorry, I should of added its a manul wheelchair

Thank you for answering :)

I get really anxious when having to go through security and all. You know people these days are so rude and have no patience and I know going through security is my least favorite thing to do at the airport. I just wanted an idea so I knew what to expect. I didn't want to go through this not having any idea.

I think you will be totally fine!

They basically fold the manual chair and will possibly let it on the plane with you (depending on the size of the aircraft) or they will just store it on the plane right after you get on and have it waiting for you when you get off.

The main thing is to make sure they "gate check" it, if they will. I just think it has less chance of being damaged that way...at least that is my experience.

And double check that there is no damage as soon as you get it back and before you leave the airport.

We had a wheelchair get damaged (we watched them "toss" it on the belt from our seats on the plane) and they replaced it - but we were glad we saw it.

One option to consider...if you want to avoid any wear and tear on your wheelchair is to possibly rent one? Depending on how many days you are there, you could rent one for pretty cheap. We rented one for 5.5 days for only $70. Then you could just use the airport ones and get yours when you get to the resort. They will deliver and pick up. (We rented from Apple - but there are several places that will rent one for ya.) Of course, you wouldn't want to do this if you have a special chair or anything.

i just did this and it was fine. they will ask you if you can walk a few feet and i said yes. they asked if i need a cane and they handed me one of theirs to go thru the metal detector as mine had to go thru the x-ray machine. you will be fine, it was hassle free.

At check in you tell them you want to check your chair. They will put a tag on the chair like they are checking a bag. You keep in the chair and go through security. They will take you in an area where they will hand scan you. If you can stand out of the chair they will use a wand on you. If you cannot stand they will pat you down and then they will take you out of the area still in the chair. You will go down to the loading area. You will be the first people on the plane. When you get down to the plane if you can get out of it then just leave the chair at the entrance. If you cannot get out of the chair you may have to transfer to a wheeled chair or the aircraft attendednts or who ever is with you will help you into the seat. Your chair will be taken and put in the luggage area of the plane and when you get off the plane it will be waiting for you. You have to sit there until they can get it out of the cargo area. I don't know about not walking onto the plane my sister could always walk on the plane. Hope this helps.

Dan

Dan

THere is more information - including pictures of an aisle chair and links to the TSA website
in post 15 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. That thread is near the top of this board or you can follow the link in my signature to get there.

Before reaching the security checkpoint, you need to remove all bags, backpacks or other similar things from the wheelchair. Then, you or a member of your party will put those on the conveyor belt to go thru the Xray machine.

If you can walk thru the security scanner, you can get out of the wheelchair, walk thru the scanner like everyone else and the TSA agents will take your wheelchair thru and check it (usually by using a hand scanner on it). There are usually some seats after going thru security, so if you can’t stand long enough to get the wheelchair back, ask where you can sit.

If you are not able to stand/walk, the rest of your party will walk thru the scanner and you will be taken off to the side where a TSA agent will pat you down and also bring a hand scanner close to your body. You may be asked if you can remove your shoes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter