Can You Take Your Own Food into the Parks?

Mom2six

DIS Veteran
My son (4) has autism and currently eats only a few items on a regular basis (currently he eats blueberries, blueberries, blueberries!) Truly many days he wouldn't care if he didn't eat at all. :eek: He also is allergic to milk and soy, so drinks almond milk - which I'll have to bring with me too. Will I be able to bring snacks he likes and his almond milk into the parks? I'm sure most of the restaurants don't have blueberries available or cheerios (another stable food). So even though we have the dining plan, he must likely won't eat anything at the restaurants.

yes. Just remember only soft sided coolers, nothing on wheels either.

I have never seen blueberries( My autistic nephew is a tomato and pepperoni kinda guy) in the fruit stands/carts but then again I loathe blueberries so never really cared to look. if the almond milk is shelf stable you'll be fine, If not you can see about storing it at First Aid. or lugging around ice packs. We have a camel back and what I do is freeze the bladder( or fill it to the brim with ice cubes and cold water) and use that to keep things cool.

the BB MIGHT be available at the buffets.. maybe..but he will be charged regardless of whether or not he eats anything at a buffet.

I think all Resorts have in-room Refrigerators, so you may store blueberries and milk there. For piece of mind and convenience, you may consider a grocery delivery service like GreenGrocer. We always carry lunches in soft-side small coolers with an ice pack into the Parks no problem. I have not seen blueberries or almond milk on any menu, however special diets may be accommodated. Check over on the DisAbility forum for more info.

The value resorts do not have fridges, but if you need one for medical reasons they will give you a small one. We take snacks into the park all the time fir our son and have only been questioned once. The guard looked into the bag and told us that outside food and drinks are not supposed to be brought in, but once we told him that it was for an allergy he said it was no problem at all and we went on in.
I think that Whole Foods now delivers to the resorts ( and surrounding areas in case you are not staying on site). They would for sure have what you need in case you do not want to travel with the foods.

The rules are nothing in glass containers (other than medicines or baby foods) and coolers must be small, soft-sided and cannot be wheeled behind you.

And they are installing small refrigerators in all the value rooms; these are chillers only without a freezer compartment.

I don't bother because I don't like to carry much, but I see tons of people eating the food they bring in. I'm sure you are happy that if your son is going to be picky, at least what he is choosing to eat is healthy! Lots of anti-oxidants in blueberries and whole grains in Cheerios.

I don't recall seeing almond milk anywhere, just the soy. And I don't remember seeing blueberries. Cheerios you can buy in the hotel gift shop/store. They all have a limited grocery selection. But if you need a delivery for the blueberries and milk it will be cheaper to get the Cheerios then too.

Have a good trip!

The value resorts have recently installed small beverage fridges in the rooms. They are about 3/4 the size of the small fridges in the moderate resorts. However they do not have a freezer section.

The value resorts do not have fridges, but if you need one for medical reasons they will give you a small one. We take snacks into the park all the time fir our son and have only been questioned once. The guard looked into the bag and told us that outside food and drinks are not supposed to be brought in, but once we told him that it was for an allergy he said it was no problem at all and we went on in.
I think that Whole Foods now delivers to the resorts ( and surrounding areas in case you are not staying on site). They would for sure have what you need in case you do not want to travel with the foods.

The resorts ALL have fridges now. Also, don't know how long ago you were told you should not bring food into the parks, because it has been allowed for years! I can't even remember how long it's been, as we have been going since they opened. I know at first they said that, but it didn't last for long. We only bring snacks, maybe some frozen drinks, but you can bring whatever you want except rolling bags or hard sided (or large) coolers.

Also, don't know how long ago you were told you should not bring food into the parks, because it has been allowed for years!

It was this past November. We had never had any trouble before and it was just a juice box, pediasure drink and a baggie of cereal.
I am very happy to lean that they have fridges in all the resorts now. That will make things so much easier for all the guest.

It was this past November. We had never had any trouble before and it was just a juice box, pediasure drink and a baggie of cereal.
I am very happy to lean that they have fridges in all the resorts now. That will make things so much easier for all the guest.

Sorry, you must have had a very rude bag checker having a bad day and taking it out on you :confused3 If they ever do that to me, I will ask when the "new rule" started and get his name if possible. That's inexcusable when Disney itself has no problems with anyone taking in food and drink, and then he decides to be snide :eek: I've never heard of them giving anyone a hard time and I was just shocked, but sure hope you have pleasant visits in the future :thumbsup2 Most of the time they just kid with me asking if they can join in at snack time, etc.:)

When we went in 2006 I packed all my son's food daily in a hard-sided igloo cooler, strapped prominently in the front seat of a sit n' stand stroller and nobody ever said a word to us about it! I was shocked when I came home and later found that only soft-sided coolers were allowed. ;)

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm thinking about taking in lunch for my whole family! We all carry a small backpack and so we would each just toss in our own sandwich wrap and trail mix or whatever. Of course we carry our own frozen water bottles already! What does everyone else like to take in?

We bring 2 adult-size lunches/snacks (aka a good amount of food) in a soft sided cooler that fits in our backpack every day into the parks. We open it up to show the bag check person what's in it, and have never been questioned or told we weren't allowed to have it. Thank goodness, because if we weren't allowed to bring food in, I wouldn't be a happy camper. There would be a lot of running back and forth to our hotel, and that's just not my thing :goodvibes

OP- bring whatever food you want!! As long as it's not in glass containers, alcohol, or you're not bringing hard-sided cooler, you're gonna be just fine! :thumbsup2

I'm so glad to hear that it isn't a problem! Of course, who knows what foods he'll like by September. Hopefully, it will be something healthy, and with luck easily available! I'm glad to know about the soft-sided coolers too! I would not have thought of that. :)

I think that Disney World has relaxed their official policy although ten years ago, when I was a frequent Disney visitor, I was never asked to throw anything out prior to entering the park. This year, I was asked to throw out bread before entering Sea World's Aquatica water park.:confused3:confused3:confused3

I've been visiting Disney World for the past two weeks because I just bought annual passes and moved back to Orlando. For breakfast, I brought donuts, muffins, coffee in McDonald's cup. On an evening visit, for snacks and dinner, I brought two bags of microwave popped popcorn, two hot dogs in buns wrapped in foil, and soda in a thermos bottle. I also like to carry crystal light packets with me to make lemonade and ice tea by asking for cups of ice water at counter service restaurants or soda kiosks. I actually feel better visiting Disney World frequently now that I have the choice because I can choose when I spend money in Disney on snacks and meals and when I save a little bit of money on these expenses.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/dining/#subCategory8
Guests are allowed to bring food items—such as snacks or foods that do not require heating—into any Walt Disney World Theme Park. Inform a Security Cast Member of any food items when you enter the Theme Park.

The value resorts have recently installed small beverage fridges in the rooms. They are about 3/4 the size of the small fridges in the moderate resorts. However they do not have a freezer section.

That's good to know - I wonder if they're suitable for insulin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter