Can you travel with 2 ECV batteries?

nobodies36

Addicted to Stitch!
May be a really silly question, but I need to know if you can travel with two ECV batteries per ECV? We leave three weeks today and I am looking to buy my mother (new heart condition) a Pride Go Go Elite (thanks to the great review on here). Normally we do about 20 miles a day and would need two batteries. We fly US Airways (I would call and ask, but I get put through to an Indian call centre and told they don't know, call back tomorrow) and I figured someone would know.

Thanks,

Lisa
xXx

May be a really silly question, but I need to know if you can travel with two ECV batteries per ECV? We leave three weeks today and I am looking to buy my mother (new heart condition) a Pride Go Go Elite (thanks to the great review on here). Normally we do about 20 miles a day and would need two batteries. We fly US Airways (I would call and ask, but I get put through to an Indian call centre and told they don't know, call back tomorrow) and I figured someone would know.

Thanks,

Lisa
xXx
Check into the specifications for the Pride Go Go Elite, but I think you will find that it comes with 2 batteries installed because that is what is needed to run it.
Most people think of power wheelchairs and ECVs as only having one battery , but all the ones I am aware of are sold with 2 batteries and you need to have 2 batteries installed to use it. If you have not ordered the ECV yet, order the gel batteries installed if there is a choice.

Sorry, I should have said two battery packs, each containing two batteries (I'm still getting my head around all the stuff mum needs). They said they are gel. I just didn't want to buy a low mile scooter and then be told I can't take extra batteries and then we can only do half what we would normally do.

I'm getting so confused about wet/dry/gel, etc. Is gel still a wet cell battery? When I was asking about something else to to with scooters I think they said wet cells have to be carried in special containers provided at the airport. Does that sound right?

Please tell me I can just leave the gel ones in the battery pack case and carry it on (and leave the other on the scooter), as that would make my life so much easier.

Many thanks for your help. Any and all advice welcome.

The Go-Go Battery Pack is actually two sealed batteries. These are either Gel or Sealed Wet Cell. In either circumstance they are spillproof and the airlines do not need to do anything special. The battery pack, including batteries, weighs 24 pounds and has a large handle for ease of caarrying.

I would suggest when traveling through the terminal have the spare battery pack somewhere on the ECV, and when it is gate checked just remove it and take it onto the aircraft with you.

When I just traveled with an ECV I carried a cloth shopping bag that the basket and charger would fit in, and and detachded them and put them in the bag onto the plane.

Excellent. Thank you so much for your help. I think I will gate check it because we have a three hour wait in Philly for a connection and may need it then (or at least to see that it wasn't left in Glasgow).

I bought mum's ECV with a spare battery pack today and I got such a good price I bought one for myself with a spare battery pack for me too! I think I might take one of the coloured trims and spray paint them lime green!

Thanks again to all,

Lisa
xXx

Yes, you can do that and it will work very well! I'm in London now, came through Gatwick and we just carried the extra battery on in a leather tote bag. DH carried it to the gate, we gate checked it, and it worked well during our layover in Atlanta.

BTW, I've developed a serious addiction to clotted cream while over here - I wonder why I can't seem to find it in Tampa? Think I can demand that Publix order it, LOL?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter