Can you walk easily from MK handicap parking?

The walk to the TTC isn't that bad, but as others have said, the ramp up to the monorail is a killer! Wish they had an elevator like at epcot's monorail ramp. We opt to take the ferry whenever it is running, instead. Also take the ferry on the way back from Mk to the parking lot.

The walk to the TTC isn't that bad, but as others have said, the ramp up to the monorail is a killer! Wish they had an elevator like at epcot's monorail ramp. We opt to take the ferry whenever it is running, instead. Also take the ferry on the way back from Mk to the parking lot.
Yes, the ferry is a little longer walk, but it is easier than the monorail ramp!

When I travel alone with my handicapped son, I drive to all the other parks, but not MK.

The busses are also difficult, as his Convaid chair is heavy, and does not collapse well. Hard for me to close it up, carry it onto a bus, and watch that he does not wander off at the same time. Trams are impossible, the chair folds up, but is still huge.

My solution the last couple of times has been to stay at Bay Lake tower and walk back and forth to MK. I miss my home resort (Beach Club), but it is just too hard for trips when DH does not come along.

When I travel alone with my handicapped son, I drive to all the other parks, but not MK.

The busses are also difficult, as his Convaid chair is heavy, and does not collapse well. Hard for me to close it up, carry it onto a bus, and watch that he does not wander off at the same time. Trams are impossible, the chair folds up, but is still huge.

My solution the last couple of times has been to stay at Bay Lake tower and walk back and forth to MK. I miss my home resort (Beach Club), but it is just too hard for trips when DH does not come along.

Dse it have tie down points that can be tie down on the bus if not you can still have the ramp lowered and wheel it on then fold it.

does anyone know why they simply don't just put 2 or 4 HC marked spots at the tram end of every row?

:confused3 my thoughts are because they assume that everyone who would park there then already has a chair.. and the chairs cannot get onto the tram.. but that is just my thought. I do think they should have a few in each row.. it would help a ton of people out!

For me, it doesn't matter.. I have no business alone looking for my car in the dark :rotfl2: I have to be with someone anyway. If I am alone in the dark, I have no business driving :thumbsup2 and during daylight, I would not need that spot :goodvibes............ but for all of those with mobility issues, that do not have chairs.. it would make a world of difference to them! Like I said, I have no clue why they don't do this... only thing I can think of is the fact they think people may have their own chairs :confused:

I think that it would be difficult to keep the flow of traffic moving if some cars were parked at the top 2-3 spots of each row. It would be confusing for everyone else. The way it is now, if you don't need handicapped, you just follow the car in front of you to where the parking attendant directs you.

I also think that by having all the handicapped cars parked in one section allows those guests more time to get out of their car and unload. MK has an overflow area near the taxistands that I park in (I don't have a handicapped sticker for my car) but I don't want to put my wheelchair on the tram. I just let them know this and I've always been able to park in this overflow area.

Is this feasable, or not a good idea:

I will have an ECV, DH & DD will be on foot.

At MK, park in the regular lot instead of HC, and they can ride the tram and I can 'drive' in. Or is it too far to 'drive' in from the ECV?

Otherwise, we could go to the HC, DH can put together my ECV for me, and he and DD can move the car back to regular parking and catch the tram.

At MK, park in the regular lot instead of HC, and they can ride the tram and I can 'drive' in. Or is it too far to 'drive' in from the ECV?

Otherwise, we could go to the HC, DH can put together my ECV for me, and he and DD can move the car back to regular parking and catch the tram.

:confused3 I am not really sure what you are trying to do here.

Handicapped parking is the closest lot to the TTC. If you have a handicap tag, there is really no reason for your DH to move the car to ride the tram. Your DH and DD should be able to walk to the TTC (or have I missed something?)

The simplest thing to do at MK, because of the difficult walk from the HA lot, is to take the resort bus. The bus drops you off at the front gate. You don't have to park your car, then walk or wheel under a road, then cross a lake by ferry or up a steep ramp to catch the park monorail circling the lake, just to reach the front gate. The bus is so much better. Just my opinion.

I was also wondering about the valet parking as well. When we go back we will be planning breakfast at either Polly or GF. Can we valet park that morning and keep the car there until we leave at night?

I was also wondering about the valet parking as well. When we go back we will be planning breakfast at either Polly or GF. Can we valet park that morning and keep the car there until we leave at night?

Yes if you have a handicap placard it be free and to can keep it their all day if you don't then it be 12. Then you could keep it their all day or if you want move it to another resort and valet park for free that day.

My answer to that is a big no. the resorts do not let you park there all day to go to the parks. Generally they will give you something to put in your window that says you can only park for 3 hours from the time the paper is printed out for you. If they let anybody park there for the day, they would not have any room for their guests at the hotel to park. We have also found it difficult at times to park in the HC spots at the different resorts when we are eating there. There are very few HC spots available generally.

The simplest thing to do at MK, because of the difficult walk from the HA lot, is to take the resort bus. The bus drops you off at the front gate. You don't have to park your car, then walk or wheel under a road, then cross a lake by ferry or up a steep ramp to catch the park monorail circling the lake, just to reach the front gate. The bus is so much better. Just my opinion.

We are staying offsite - so we'll be in our own car.

I should have said that up-front.

To the PP, parking in the HA lot would be easiest on ME but hard on DH & DD and I don't want to make my disability be a drag on them. KWIM? I've walked that before and it's not a pleasant walk - especially in August.

My answer to that is a big no. the resorts do not let you park there all day to go to the parks. Generally they will give you something to put in your window that says you can only park for 3 hours from the time the paper is printed out for you. If they let anybody park there for the day, they would not have any room for their guests at the hotel to park. We have also found it difficult at times to park in the HC spots at the different resorts when we are eating there. There are very few HC spots available generally.

I would not be parking in a HA spot. I would be using the valet service. I called ( which i know that you never really know who yu get when you call) and they said they transferred me to valet management. The person I spoke to said that valet parking is for a 24 hour window. If you valet in the morning at the resort you can go to the park and stay till closing. Or you can valet then go to the park for a few hours and then get your car and go to a different resort and valet for no additional charge because the fee is for the day. THe 3 hour parking only comes into play when you self park. Also, as PP said, if you have a handicap tag or hang tag the fee for valet is waved. The guy I spoke with also said that he often recommends that people that plan on renting a chair or EVC in the park to use the valet service at the GF and take the monorail into MK due to the amount of walking involved at the parking lot.

We are staying offsite - so we'll be in our own car.

I should have said that up-front.

To the PP, parking in the HA lot would be easiest on ME but hard on DH & DD and I don't want to make my disability be a drag on them. KWIM? I've walked that before and it's not a pleasant walk - especially in August.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. We live here and walk from the AAA lot (next one over from HC) all the time.

But if you really want to park in the regular lot, there are drop off locations at the parks. MK can be tricky because the drop off is in the HC lot. Your DH can drop you and the scooter off, then drive over to the section they are currently parking, wait in line to park, park, wait for the tram (wait for a seat on the tram), just to ride back to a few 100 yards away from where he dropped you off.

At Epcot, the drop off is way down near the AAA parking. So he may need to go back through the toll booth to get back to where they are parking.

At AK he may need to go back through as well. Since he would be dropping you off at the front parking lot and parking in the back lot.

I would not be parking in a HA spot. I would be using the valet service. I called ( which i know that you never really know who yu get when you call) and they said they transferred me to valet management. The person I spoke to said that valet parking is for a 24 hour window. If you valet in the morning at the resort you can go to the park and stay till closing. Or you can valet then go to the park for a few hours and then get your car and go to a different resort and valet for no additional charge because the fee is for the day. THe 3 hour parking only comes into play when you self park. Also, as PP said, if you have a handicap tag or hang tag the fee for valet is waved. The guy I spoke with also said that he often recommends that people that plan on renting a chair or EVC in the park to use the valet service at the GF and take the monorail into MK due to the amount of walking involved at the parking lot.

And once you pay at one valet for the day then it be free at other resorts for the 24 hour window.

You can't tell where they will be parking cars when you get there. It could be quite far out and too far to ECV to the entrance. And, even if it is not, People are not meant to walk to the TTC from the parking lot, so an ECV would be in the same area as the trams are traveling.

The handicapped parking area is farther than many people who qualify for handicapped parking permits feel thy can walk easily. But, if your DH and DD are not disabled, it should not be a problem for htm to wLk from the handicapped parking to the TTC.

And once you pay at one valet for the day then it be free at other resorts for the 24 hour window.
Thanks for the verified information about free 24 hour valet parking with a handicap placard. This was very helpful information. So, bottom line is:

My sister is handicap and we are staying at AKL. Don't want to try and use the bus. We will have her ECV and a vehicle. So, the suggestion here is to park at CR valet parking with handicap placard and walk (scooter) over to MK? Right? That sounds perfect!

Thanks for the verified information about free 24 hour valet parking with a handicap placard. This was very helpful information. So, bottom line is:

My sister is handicap and we are staying at AKL. Don't want to try and use the bus. We will have her ECV and a vehicle. So, the suggestion here is to park at CR valet parking with handicap placard and walk (scooter) over to MK? Right? That sounds perfect!

yes just valet park it walk scoot on over and have fun then when your down you can walk back or take the monorail and get your car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter