Canadian Buffoon's DISmeet vacation - 09/14 - Bowled Over

I have no idea. I don't put beverages near my computer. My first thought was a cat peed on it, but there was no smell to the liquid, I have no idea.

Did you look up?
Nothing leaking from the ceiling?
Was this after/during the weekend?
I know you had quite a bit of rain.

We paid for three years at a time.

Oh, really!

What do you mean dig? The only thing on my lawn is dew.

Me too!

Lots of dew...
Frozen dew.

Sure! Since the recipes were the first thing that I manually downloaded I have them all! I'm really not a big dessert person, mostly I cook savory dishes and dinners, but I do have a few failsafe easy desserts as I'm not a baker.

I don't make many desserts, either.
I just don't have the time.

But occasionally... :)

Quick Tiramisu

Yields: 1 8-inch baking dish

Ingredients

Coffee Syrup:
1 cup brewed espresso or strong coffee (made of 1 cup hot water mixed with 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules or espresso powder)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons coffee or almond liquor (optional)

Filling:
1 cup (227g/8 oz) mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons Marsala wine, dark rum, or brandy (optional)
1 cup (250ml) heavy cream
⅓ cup granulated sugar
about 200g/7 oz (20-24 units) ladyfingers

Instructions

For coffee syrup: In a small bowl, combine hot coffee, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 2 tablespoons liquor. Mix until sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.

For filling: In a large bowl, whisk mascarpone vigorously by hand until creamy and smooth. Whisk in vanilla extract and alcohol. In a different mixer bowl, whisk together heavy cream and sugar using an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into mascarpone in 2 additions until mixture is smooth.

Assemble tiramisu: Dip ladyfingers very quickly (less than a second) into the coffee syrup and line them in one layer in an 8-inch baking dish. If necessary, break a few ladyfingers to fit them in the dish. Spoon half of the filling over the ladyfingers and smooth the top. Repeat with a second layer of coffee-dipped ladyfingers, then with the rest of the cream. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or up to 2 days.

Serve cold. Right before serving, dust the top with cocoa powder or grated chocolate (or both!).

Dang that sounds good.

I usually order my espresso powder from King Arthur Flour, but I've seen it in the baking aisle of the grocery store as well.

I'll take a look, then.
Our bulk food store
might carry it too.
They carry everything else!

You can also use instant coffee granules or finely ground coffee or espresso, but use less if using the finely ground coffee since it hasn't been brewed yet.

Thanks for the tip.
And I may wind up doing that.
But I'll see if I can find
the espresso powder. :)

Enjoy! My little sister and I are making a batch on Saturday.

Post a photo here! :)

Am I able to cheat a bit here?

Sure!
No rules here. :goodvibes

And :welcome: to the TR!

I occasionally make a trifle or something fancier, but my boys tastes for dessert are simple.

Simple is often
pretty darn good!

My favorite dessert recipe is as follows: Buy Ghirardelli dark chocolate brownie mix. Follow directions on box. Slightly undercook by 2-3 minutes so they are extra gooey in the middle.
That works! Thanks! :)

Proceed to eat the entire pan in one sitting.

:lmao:

Yes you did!
:welcome: to the TR, Su-Lynn!

Ah! I've had it... once?
I think?

I know the DDs like it. :)

I'm sorry....

What?
Essence of.... what????

Nope! Nopity nope!
Coconut. Hard stop.
Ain't gonna happen.

I'll let other, braver souls
make this one!

:laughing:

Man, that sure sounds
interesting though.
Any chance of substituting
out the coconut milk?

Oh that’s right! Coconut is the deal breaker for you! Yes you can use regular milk from what I understand :)

Where would I find that?
Since we don't have allergies here,
could I substitute for sugar, or???
We use sugar ourselves because we don’t have a sugar allergy. We buy a lot of the specialty items at Whole Foods. Weekly we shop at, at least 3 grocery stores and monthly we go to Whole Foods.

I think I'll take your suggestion
and do both! :)
Double the chocolate is always better.

Oh that’s right! Coconut is the deal breaker for you! Yes you can use regular milk from what I understand :)

@pkondz, maybe use half and half, or even heavy cream? If you're not worried about fat content, of course. Full fat coconut milk is pretty thick and creamy, and we often use it as a dairy free substitute for recipes that include cream. I don't think you'd taste the coconut too much in this recipe, but for someone with an aversion as strong as yours, you probably still wouldn't want to use it.

WOOOOOOO...you are starting again and I am just now processing photos. Blame school, I'm pretty sure my girlfriend forgets what I look like because all I do is study. I will give you a recipe very shortly, it's saved on my hard drive that is at home but I promise it will be the best one you receive...okay maybe not but it is very good.

This is one of my favorite desserts. I use pretzels instead of pecans because I am allergic to nuts. I eyeball the pretzels and I break them up into small pieces.

SALTED CARAMEL PECAN CHOCOLATE PIE

10 SERVINGS

TOTAL TIME:2 HOURS

PREP TIME:1 HOUR 55 MINUTES

COOK TIME:5 MINUTES

Salted Caramel Pecan Chocolate Pie has an Oreo crust, a salted caramel pecan layer, and a thick chocolate ganache layer topped with sea salt! This pie is the epitome of decadence!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 25 Oreo cookies, finely crushed
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 8 ounces (about 30) caramel squares, unwrapped
  • 1 cup + 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon kosher Salt
  • 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted (see note)
  • 2 cups dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • Sea Salt (coarse) for finishing

DIRECTIONS:

1. Spray bottom and sides of a 9” springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. You can also use a 9” tart pan (with removable bottom) or a 9” pie plate.
  2. Stir Oreo crumbs and melted butter with a fork, then press into the bottom and 1” up the sides of the pan. (If using a tart pan or pie plate, press the crumbs all the way up the sides.) Chill until ready to fill.
  3. Place caramels and 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream in a medium bowl. Heat on high power for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until the mixture is smooth. Stir in salt to taste, then pecans, then spread evenly in the bottom of the pan.
  4. Place chocolate chips and remaining 1 cup heavy whipping cream in a large bowl. Heat on high power for about 1 minute 15 seconds, then whisk until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Spread evenly on top of the caramel layer.
  5. Sprinkle the top with coarse sea salt and chill until set, about 2 hours. Store in refrigerator. Let sit on the counter for 10 minutes before serving. If you’re using a springform pan or tart pan with removable base, remove the base from the sides while the pie is cold.
NOTES:
To toast pecans:

• Stovetop – place pecans in a single layer in a skillet and heat over medium heat, stirring almost constantly, for just a few minutes.
  • Oven – place pecans in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake, stirring often, at 350°F for just a few minutes. Don’t walk away – once you smell them they’re done.

BTW I found a recipe for the Butter Mochi which does not have coconut milk and from the looks of it, is just as good!

Link here

Ya snooze ya lose!

(Or in your case,
Ya snooze, work like crazy,
study for pilot's exam,
cook, clean and do general trouble shooting.....

you lose.)

I keep saying one of these days life will slow down, but then, to me that's not life. I like to be learning and stretching myself. With trips to Disney or other fun destinations to bring it on down a notch. :)

Well, that certainly sounds promising! :)

Holy crap!
That recipe is huge!!!

Looks like I have my work
cut out for me!

sorry. :blush:

It's really not as hard or complicated as it looks. Nice for a once in a blue moon holiday dessert.

I will admit that
ghost writing is not
my style.

:rolleyes2

Not becoming to you.

No you're not.

;)

Alright, fine.

Sorry, not sorry.

Never should've had 'em!!!

Well.....

Too late! :lmao:

That seems to be the majority pick. :)

Because it's right.

Shout outs later, folks.
My internet crapped out yesterday
So I’m on my phone.

Can only use data. Or is that data?

Just too hard to multi,
so it’ll have to wait.
:)

We use sugar ourselves because we don’t have a sugar allergy. We buy a lot of the specialty items at Whole Foods. Weekly we shop at, at least 3 grocery stores and monthly we go to Whole Foods.

I go to at least two,
rarely more grocery stores.

And I'll just use sugar. :)

Double the chocolate is always better.

::yes::

@pkondz, maybe use half and half, or even heavy cream? If you're not worried about fat content, of course.

I am fat content.

But thanks for the tip. ;)

Full fat coconut milk is pretty thick and creamy, and we often use it as a dairy free substitute for recipes that include cream. I don't think you'd taste the coconut too much in this recipe, but for someone with an aversion as strong as yours, you probably still wouldn't want to use it.

Yep.
My sense of smell
isn't that great.

But I can smell that
from clear across the room.

WOOOOOOO...you are starting again

Indeed I am!

And :welcome: to the TR Tanner!

am just now processing photos. Blame school, I'm pretty sure my girlfriend forgets what I look like because all I do is study.

:laughing:

How is school going?

I will give you a recipe very shortly, it's saved on my hard drive that is at home but I promise it will be the best one you receive...okay maybe not but it is very good.

Okay!
Standing by to be amazed.

This is one of my favorite desserts. I use pretzels instead of pecans because I am allergic to nuts. I eyeball the pretzels and I break them up into small pieces.

Huh!
I'm not a fan of nuts in my desserts.
More personal preference
than allergy.

But it never occurred to me
to use pretzels (which I love) instead.
You use unsalted ones, I presume?

SALTED CARAMEL PECAN CHOCOLATE PIE
10 SERVINGS

TOTAL TIME:2 HOURS

PREP TIME:1 HOUR 55 MINUTES

COOK TIME:5 MINUTES

Salted Caramel Pecan Chocolate Pie has an Oreo crust, a salted caramel pecan layer, and a thick chocolate ganache layer topped with sea salt! This pie is the epitome of decadence!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 25 Oreo cookies, finely crushed
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 8 ounces (about 30) caramel squares, unwrapped
  • 1 cup + 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon kosher Salt
  • 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted (see note)
  • 2 cups dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • Sea Salt (coarse) for finishing

DIRECTIONS:

1. Spray bottom and sides of a 9” springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. You can also use a 9” tart pan (with removable bottom) or a 9” pie plate.
  2. Stir Oreo crumbs and melted butter with a fork, then press into the bottom and 1” up the sides of the pan. (If using a tart pan or pie plate, press the crumbs all the way up the sides.) Chill until ready to fill.
  3. Place caramels and 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream in a medium bowl. Heat on high power for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until the mixture is smooth. Stir in salt to taste, then pecans, then spread evenly in the bottom of the pan.
  4. Place chocolate chips and remaining 1 cup heavy whipping cream in a large bowl. Heat on high power for about 1 minute 15 seconds, then whisk until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Spread evenly on top of the caramel layer.
  5. Sprinkle the top with coarse sea salt and chill until set, about 2 hours. Store in refrigerator. Let sit on the counter for 10 minutes before serving. If you’re using a springform pan or tart pan with removable base, remove the base from the sides while the pie is cold.
NOTES:
To toast pecans:

• Stovetop – place pecans in a single layer in a skillet and heat over medium heat, stirring almost constantly, for just a few minutes.
  • Oven – place pecans in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake, stirring often, at 350°F for just a few minutes. Don’t walk away – once you smell them they’re done.

Easy peasy! Thanks!

I keep saying one of these days life will slow down, but then, to me that's not life. I like to be learning and stretching myself. With trips to Disney or other fun destinations to bring it on down a notch. :)

Hmmm...

I don't mind slow once in a while.
It happens so rarely!

sorry. :blush:

It's really not as hard or complicated as it looks. Nice for a once in a blue moon holiday dessert.

I'll give it a try.
Just not sure when. :)

Alright, fine.

Sorry, not sorry.

;)

Because it's right.

That's what the data shows.

Chiming in!!! Excited to follow along! I'll share a recipe that I get begged to make for every social gathering...but it feels like a cheater recipe because it's so easy!

Surprise Brookies

Ingredients
  • 1 box of brownie mix (Or if you feel adventurous, make your own!)
  • 12 regular size reeses cups (You can use the reeses bites or the mega reeses snack size, but those I've found make it hard to get out of the pan)
  • 1 packet of chocolate chip cookies (You can make your own too...I prefer to use the kind already divided into squares!)
  • a cupcake pan
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350
  2. Unwrap all the reeses (or make your child do it, but count 'em when you're done!)
  3. Prepare the box of brownies as directed, set mix aside
  4. Spray the cookie sheet with non-stick (or use cupcake liners, but I've found those can cling to the cookie)
  5. Smooth (technical term) 1 square (or just enough to cover the bottom of the cupcake pan) of cookie dough into the bottom of each cupcake mold
  6. Place reeses on top of the cookie dough
  7. Pour brownie mix over the reeses, until each section is about 3/4th full
  8. Bake for 18 minutes!
  9. Let cool before removing
These are best a little warm, when the peanut butter is still slightly gooey. :love: You can also sub the reeses for an oreo or any other kind of small candy, but why when you have reeses? :worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter