Canadian Residents 25% off tickets on WDW site **Offer extended until May 20, 2017.

Thank you so much for the help everyone. To further complicate things I have a Universal trip May 17th to the 24th, and a rental car on arrival day. I could potentially go over to Downtown Disney and see about upgrades while the Canadian promo is still active. BUT.. we are flying into Fort Lauderdale, and only have the car for 7 hours and want to do a grocery stop. I don't think it's in the cards to go over to DTD and get the car back on time. I already booked an paid for it with airmiles.

Thank you for all the advice .. I think we have decided the decision that makes the most sense is to just go with Free Dining and use both sets of tickets. Not ideal, but I feel better having a decision.

It doesn't matter how you booked and paid for a car rental if you have only done it for a single day it will be for a 24 hour day. The clock starts when you actually pick up the car --- we did single day rentals for our trip in 2016 and were worried when we picked it up earlier than originally planned -- wasn't a problem. You know that we always use our AM for car rentals so this is something i am well versed in! I think if you can add the extra 2 hours or so to your upcoming trip (I'm allowing for the drive to & from Universal) you should give it a try so that you will have an in-person actual answer!

It doesn't matter how you booked and paid for a car rental if you have only done it for a single day it will be for a 24 hour day. The clock starts when you actually pick up the car --- we did single day rentals for our trip in 2016 and were worried when we picked it up earlier than originally planned -- wasn't a problem. You know that we always use our AM for car rentals so this is something i am well versed in! I think if you can add the extra 2 hours or so to your upcoming trip (I'm allowing for the drive to & from Universal) you should give it a try so that you will have an in-person actual answer!
The only problem there is that the drop off point closes at 5. So it wouldn't even let me book a time later than that. We land in Fort Lauderdale at 10:30, hopefully on the road by 11:30, and we're going to need food. The drive is about 3.5 hours to Orlando. That only gives two hours for eating and going to get our supplies for the week. Then we have to check in to the onsite hotel, and drive the car to the Holiday Inn Universal before 5 when the car rental desk closes. It's cutting it too close.

The only problem there is that the drop off point closes at 5. So it wouldn't even let me book a time later than that. We land in Fort Lauderdale at 10:30, hopefully on the road by 11:30, and we're going to need food. The drive is about 3.5 hours to Orlando. That only gives two hours for eating and going to get our supplies for the week. Then we have to check in to the onsite hotel, and drive the car to the Holiday Inn Universal before 5 when the car rental desk closes. It's cutting it too close.
What are your plans the next day as you would have until 10:30 ish to return the car?

What are your plans the next day as you would have until 10:30 ish to return the car?
Yup, THIS! ^^^^ You have 24 hours from when you pick up the car till it needs to be returned. But if you're like me, getting up early enough to actually DO this .... it is still an option though, a little Disney fix on a dark-side trip :P

Yup, THIS! ^^^^ You have 24 hours from when you pick up the car till it needs to be returned. But if you're like me, getting up early enough to actually DO this .... it is still an option though, a little Disney fix on a dark-side trip :P
That's just so weird to me. So I booked a pick up and drop off time. My contract states that it's 6.5 hour rental. You are telling me as long as I return it to the rental desk within 24 hours, the conditions I booked under don't count? I've never heard of this. It's a one way rental as well if that matters at all.

I'm an early riser and we could potentially pop over to Disney springs and be back by 10:30. :scratchin

That's just so weird to me. So I booked a pick up and drop off time. My contract states that it's 6.5 hour rental. You are telling me as long as I return it to the rental desk within 24 hours, the conditions I booked under don't count? I've never heard of this. It's a one way rental as well if that matters at all.

I'm an early riser and we could potentially pop over to Disney springs and be back by 10:30. :scratchin
YES! You will have 24 hours from the moment you actually pick the car up until it needs to be returned. Airmiles site is STUPID when it comes to working out the best rate (fiddling with hours & days can double the amount needed) so you need to look at the ACTUAL website for the car rental company to see how this works .... I've guesstimated based on your ticker and a little googling to figure out which sites you'll be using to get this quote. I highlighted the return time so you can see there is no change in the price they charge for either a part day or a full 24 hour day. Last year we did 2 same day rentals returning to different locations both times -- MCO to Dolphin, and then the reverse (no way we were paying close to $20.00/day for parking when we had no need for the car!) and BOTH locations confirmed it is a 24 hour rental period no matter which method of payment is used. Our last trip when i forgot the paperwork from Airmiles (TRUST ME DO NOT LEAVE IT AT HOME!!! they did not want to honour it as a pre-paid rental without proof, a mistake that almost cost us $200 US! luckily i kept every piece of e-mail pertaining to the trip accessible!!!) and the amount only showed as "pre-paid" in their system. To alliviate your concerns you can simply ask at the counter when you pick the car up, ask how long you have the car without needing to pay more. Have a blast!
upload_2017-4-13_10-47-15.png

upload_2017-4-13_10-46-10.png

YES! You will have 24 hours from the moment you actually pick the car up until it needs to be returned. Airmiles site is STUPID when it comes to working out the best rate (fiddling with hours & days can double the amount needed) so you need to look at the ACTUAL website for the car rental company to see how this works .... I've guesstimated based on your ticker and a little googling to figure out which sites you'll be using to get this quote. I highlighted the return time so you can see there is no change in the price they charge for either a part day or a full 24 hour day. Last year we did 2 same day rentals returning to different locations both times -- MCO to Dolphin, and then the reverse (no way we were paying close to $20.00/day for parking when we had no need for the car!) and BOTH locations confirmed it is a 24 hour rental period no matter which method of payment is used. Our last trip when i forgot the paperwork from Airmiles (TRUST ME DO NOT LEAVE IT AT HOME!!! they did not want to honour it as a pre-paid rental without proof, a mistake that almost cost us $200 US! luckily i kept every piece of e-mail pertaining to the trip accessible!!!) and the amount only showed as "pre-paid" in their system. To alliviate your concerns you can simply ask at the counter when you pick the car up, ask how long you have the car without needing to pay more. Have a blast!
View attachment 231276

View attachment 231275
You are FANTASTIC!!
I will talk to my husband tonight but it could be a game changer if we can get over to Disney Springs to upgrade the tickets! And it means less rushing on arrival day. I am going to make two reservations, one for free dining (if its ever released) and one right now for room only at a Deluxe. Once I get an answer on adding days to the tickets I can decide which way to go.
Thank you so much Jaqueline :hug:

Check with the rental agency, but most car rentals are billed as daily rates, even if the pick-up / return times work out to more (or less) than a day. eg. A rental listed as "1 day and 2 hours" based on pick-up and return times is typically billed as two days. So as long as your "late" return is within 24 hours of pickup, it's not going to impact your price.

But again, best to double check with the agency.

Most rental locations also have after-hours drop off procedures, if the closing time is an issue for you.

We are currently booked at a deluxe with the Cdn resident ticket discount....just waiting to see if FD will be a better deal (I suspect it might not be, especially if there's a RO discount at the same time as FD).

After reading this thread, I think I understand that we can also add dining to our discounted room/tickets (yay!). However, I'm not quite clear on how I actually get the tickets when we get there. I got an email, but no certificate for the tickets.......are there guest services only at the parks, or can we turn in the email for tickets at our resorts?

I'm pricing out a potential stay during the summer room promo....assuming there will be a similar room discount for the fall....and with the room/ticket discount, it's actually about $400 LESS than rack rate, reg tix and PH (ie. FD requirements) :thumbsup2

We are currently booked at a deluxe with the Cdn resident ticket discount....just waiting to see if FD will be a better deal (I suspect it might not be, especially if there's a RO discount at the same time as FD).

After reading this thread, I think I understand that we can also add dining to our discounted room/tickets (yay!). However, I'm not quite clear on how I actually get the tickets when we get there. I got an email, but no certificate for the tickets.......are there guest services only at the parks, or can we turn in the email for tickets at our resorts?

I'm pricing out a potential stay during the summer room promo....assuming there will be a similar room discount for the fall....and with the room/ticket discount, it's actually about $400 LESS than rack rate, reg tix and PH (ie. FD requirements) :thumbsup2

The email I received has a barcode. I will print it out then go to guest services to activate the tickets. Is there a barcode in the email you received?

The email I received has a barcode. I will print it out then go to guest services to activate the tickets. Is there a barcode in the email you received?

Yes there is. The instructions say to go to will call.....I just wasn't sure if that was at the parks, or if I could do that at the resort.

Yes there is. The instructions say to go to will call.....I just wasn't sure if that was at the parks, or if I could do that at the resort.

I believe Jacqueline @Donald - my hero reported back before saying that only GS at parks and DS can process the tickets properly. These tickets need to be activated by showing your passports, so resort front desk or concierge would not work.

So the rumour in the FD thread is that mods will also only have the quick service plan. If that's true then pigletto you're probably better off booking that deluxe with the discount and the Canadian tickets because you'd have to pay to upgrade to regular DDP if u want table service as well. Hopefully that's not true but....

I believe Jacqueline @Donald - my hero reported back before saying that only GS at parks and DS can process the tickets properly. These tickets need to be activated by showing your passports, so resort front desk or concierge would not work.

When I redeemed for my discounted tickets, I could not do it at the resort. Pop check in and the concierge told me to go to Disney Springs to do it versus the next morning at Hollywood Studios (we got in on a Sunday night). It was a ridiculous 1.25 hour wait. If you can do it before your first park day, I do recommend that but know that you might end up with a long wait. This was our first Disney trip and getting my 2 and 4 year old to bed at midnight after a day of travel did not make for a magical start.

Does anyone know if you can purchase these tickets with a US Credit Card & Billing Address? Thinking of purchasing one of these for my niece who lives in Canada so she can join us on a future trip.

So the rumour in the FD thread is that mods will also only have the quick service plan. If that's true then pigletto you're probably better off booking that deluxe with the discount and the Canadian tickets because you'd have to pay to upgrade to regular DDP if u want table service as well. Hopefully that's not true but....
Thanks!
I was following that thread closely and that sealed the deal for us. We priced out room only at a Deluxe, and then priced out Bonnet Creek and decided to go with Bonnet Creek. We love it there, it's so close ... it's right beside Caribbean Beach and we'll have way more space. We are going to do a week there, and three nights onsite or over at Unviersal. I'm almost relieved that free dining ended up being a bust . It helped me make a better plan for us. :)

Does anyone know if you can purchase these tickets with a US Credit Card & Billing Address? Thinking of purchasing one of these for my niece who lives in Canada so she can join us on a future trip.
I wonder if you belong to AAA and buy them online and give your niece's Canadian address as the shipping address whether that would work or even offered on the AAA website?

Thanks!
I was following that thread closely and that sealed the deal for us. We priced out room only at a Deluxe, and then priced out Bonnet Creek and decided to go with Bonnet Creek. We love it there, it's so close ... it's right beside Caribbean Beach and we'll have way more space. We are going to do a week there, and three nights onsite or over at Unviersal. I'm almost relieved that free dining ended up being a bust . It helped me make a better plan for us. :)

Glad it works out for you!
We did free dining once in 2011 and upgraded to deluxe dining because we enjoyed TS and character meals. It was way too much food. We used the snack credits to bring treats back for family and friends. We didn't get to try some interesting restaurants that were not on the dining plan. I would rather take advantage of room offers and pay out of pocket for meals. It gives us more flexibility.

Have fun planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter