Cancellation Policy

Sammie

DIS Veteran
We have never had to cancel a DVC reservation however we are considering a trip that might have to be cancelled due to family medical problems.

I understand the policy if you cancel 31 days out, however what happens if you cancel within 30 days prior to arrival.

Not sure I understand the holding account. And can you put borrowed points in holding?

I'm no expert - but since you haven't gotten a reply yet - I'll give it a go -
The borrowed points stay in the current use year once you borrow them - so if your use year is , say, March - like mine - the borrowed points would now expire this March - holding account or not. If you cancel in the 30 day window - your points would be put into the holding account - not neccesarily the end of the world, though. They can still be used to make the same reservation you normally could - you just can't make a ressie more that 60 days out. So you'll have to plan it a bit more short notice, and before the points will expire. I would call MS tomorrow and tell them all the details and see what else is available as far as new reservations (within the 60 day timeframe) if you think you may be able to go again that soon. Then you won't have to worry about not using the points. It really depends on when the points will expire as to how quickly you'll have to act on them. Hope everything works out -

All points used to make the reservation will go into the Holding Account when a cancellation occurs within 30 days of arrival. As explained, those points may only be used to make a reservation within 60 days of arrival. If unused they will expire at the end of the current Use Year - regardless whether they were banked, borrowed or current. They cannot be banked.

Thanks to both you, I understand now.

Second question, has anyone put points in holding and actually been able to book something within the 60 days or less requirement. Or does this basically mean you will lose those points.

If you are flexible, you probably can get something, as long as your use year is not Dec or Jan. (I can't even remember if there is a Dec or Jan use year). Can you use holding points for non-DVC resorts?

Deb & Bill said:
Can you use holding points for non-DVC resorts?

We put a bunch of points in holding one year and had to use them quickly as they were about to expire. We stayed at AKL concierge level. Yes, it was a ton of points, but it was use 'em or loss 'em, so we thought we might as well go for it. We could only go for 5 days and that would not have been long enough in DVC resort to use them up.

I called right at the 60 day mark and was able to get this reservation with no problem. We had a great time! Sunset safari .. Jiko .. what fun!

Deb & Bill said:
If you are flexible, you probably can get something, as long as your use year is not Dec or Jan. (I can't even remember if there is a Dec or Jan use year). Can you use holding points for non-DVC resorts?
Yes - you can use holding points for non-DVC resorts. However, there is an additonal restriction. You cannot make a reservation during the last 60 days of your use year for a stay that will also occur during that same time period. So if you think you will want/need to stay at the GF for example, be sure to call to make the reservation at least 61 days before the end of your use year (but less than 60 days prior to arrival.

Actually, since there is often more availability at the non-DVC WDW resorts, using holding points there can be an easier way to avoid losing them altogether if the DVC resorts are full.

Best wishes-

P.S. There is a December use year, but not a January use year.

Is there any way you can postpone the trip and just change the dates? I had emergency surgery two weeks before our trip. I was so upset but when I called MS they advised me I could change my dates. I was able to keep my original reservation after pleading with my MD and promising that this was a sit by the pool trip but I could have rescheduled my reservation and not cancelled. I don't know if there is a timeframe for rescheduling.

Hey, Sammie - just wanted to let you know that our first trip to WDW on points was a wonderful 7 night stay in a 1bdrm at OKW in October, and we didn't make the reservation until about 3.5 weeks before. We got exactly what we wanted - they even offered us WLV, BWV and SSR at the time. Last minute reservations are possible - just try to be flexible and start planning as soon as you can. :flower:

CarolMN, is the "not making a ressie within 60 days of the end of your use year" restriction only for the non-DVC resorts?

I think that's what you're saying, and I hope so. With a March UY any points that I find I must use from a December (non) stay would almost have to be made within those last 60 days.

Bobbi :flower:

bobbiwoz said:
CarolMN, is the "not making a ressie within 60 days of the end of your use year" restriction only for the non-DVC resorts?

I think that's what you're saying, and I hope so. With a March UY any points that I find I must use from a December (non) stay would almost have to be made within those last 60 days.

Not Carol, but I think I know this answer! It is only for the Non-DVC resorts. 60 days doesn't give much opportunity for DVC to recoup the money they are paying for the cash ressie at the non-DVC resort. They have to "rent" out the points that you traded for the non-DVC resort, and 60 days isn't much time for them to do that. I'm sure that someone else will chime in with a better explanation if this isn't right.

bobbiwoz said:

The 60 day rule does not apply to reservations made at DVC resorts.

It also does not apply to exchanges made via II - but there are restrictions if you make a late deposit (within last 60 days of your use year).

Best wishes -

Thanks everyone for all the advice, right now it looks like the trip will be a go.

I just have never had to cancel under the 31 days, and was not familar with the requirements are the holding account.

Great idea about using them for a nonDVC resort, that is something I could book for a weekend. :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter