Cancellation Refund Delays

tony67

DIS Veteran
Just wanted to let the everyone know that there are some longer than usual delays with refunds for Universal reservation cancelations.
I just spoke to them as its been about 18 business days and I have not received a refund on several bookings for October.
They had a software upgrade at the end of July that has affected cancelation from late to July and into August and its taking around 18 business days for refunds to process.

So long story short no point in calling them unless its been 18 business days :(

Thank you! I'm at 13 business days and was beginning to wonder, as it's never taken this long to get a refund before.

We also having been waiting more than 14 plus of business days for refund(which was the maximum they told us it would be when we switched our reservation)! They are certainly quick to charge our credit cards, no software issues with that lol! So I feel that this long wait is excessive and not acceptable - just my opinion of course and Universal could care less lol!

Thanks for info. I’m about to cancel a couple nights in October, and good to have a heads up in case it takes a while to get the money back, so I won’t panic.

Last edited:

Thanks for the heads up! We have two sets of dates for October/December and still not sure which one we will need.

We canceled a room the end of July and it took over 3 weeks to get our refund! Glad it wasn't just me.

Took me over a month. I had to contact Universal directly and they claimed there was an issue with my cancellation and the refund was never initiated. I was then transferred to Lowes who took care of it within a day.

Yeah - I am at the 30 day mark now for 4 separate reservations - so Ill be calling back Friday very unhappy with them

BTW - I know they are saying its a system issue - but this has happened in the past several times - just never this bad

Took me over a month. I had to contact Universal directly and they claimed there was an issue with my cancellation and the refund was never initiated. I was then transferred to Lowes who took care of it within a day.
This was my experience as well. Lowes was great about quickly identifying and fixing the issue with my refund.

Called them again today - first person was useless, tried to transfer me to someone else could not and gave me a number to call which was the same number I just called them at so I hung up.

Called Lowes direct and they transferred me back to Universal Reservations - next rep (I think was the same one from last week) asked me to hold for about 20 minutes well he called Aventura directly.

He said they have processed it and I should see it by Friday (next Friday).

Taking 30 days and then telling me another week is pretty poor IMO.
Hilton and Disney both refunded within 24 hours - ( I had to cancel my trip due to unforeseen circumstances)

To be fair to Universal did refund my Unmasking the Horror Tours, AP and HHN FF+ tickets within 48 hours - and they did not have to refund that at all.

After waiting the 18 or so business days, I was finally connected with accounting last month. After she quickly processed the refund (saw it immediately on my cc) she gave me this number to use if it happened again. (888) 320-6065. This is the accounting department. No need to wait so long with this number. I canceled a room and gave it a week or so before calling this number this week for a different reservation and they immediately did the credit again for me. Seems they’re still having issues.

After waiting the 18 or so business days, I was finally connected with accounting last month. After she quickly processed the refund (saw it immediately on my cc) she gave me this number to use if it happened again. (888) 320-6065. This is the accounting department. No need to wait so long with this number. I canceled a room and gave it a week or so before calling this number this week for a different reservation and they immediately did the credit again for me. Seems they’re still having issues.
Thanks. I cancelled a room last Friday, nothing yet. i may try your number on Monday.

another data point, i waited a full month for a refund and had to call in order for it to be processed correctly (which they did immediately!)

IMO they really need to fix this mess. They take your money with 24 hours.

Disney and Hilton both refund within 48 hours.

15 business days is totally ridiculous - they need to either make it easier to modify reservations or quicker refunds - with the way AP rates fluctuate this is an ongoing headache.

they need to either make it easier to modify reservations or quicker refunds - with the way AP rates fluctuate this is an ongoing headache.
To modify reservations for a better rate on the exact same room/dates, add a child to the reservation (or drop the phantom child for the next modification). This works if you are not at max capacity.

I wonder what's going on with their system, it used to refund within a week or so.

Thanks for posting this. Still haven't received my refund since cancelling on 8/6 so I just called and the refund was processed immediately. She said they are still waiting for the IT fix on this so if you need to cancel it may be better just to call and do it so you're not indefinataly waiting for your money back.

Thanks for posting this. Still haven't received my refund since cancelling on 8/6 so I just called and the refund was processed immediately. She said they are still waiting for the IT fix on this so if you need to cancel it may be better just to call and do it so you're not indefinataly waiting for your money back.
It’s a bit irritating that the main number you call is still telling people you have to wait the 15-18 business days.

Still a bit random. My 9/8 cancellation has not refunded. I hate calling, was holding out hope it would come through this week, but nope.

Monday edit - Called today the number listed by christophfam above for customer service at Loew's. They are very nice! Said she could see the refund and would process it immediately.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter