Cancellation Refund Delays

I am still dealing with a couple of these - I finally had to go to Amex and let them sort it - tired of calling Lowes.

They had a software glitch and its supposedly fixed - but they need to fix all the many refunds they did not process.

I'll be thinking twice in future about just booking the best rate and then changing it later - even waiting 10 days is a bit much in 2023 - Disney, Marriott and Hilton all refunded within a day or two

I am still dealing with a couple of these - I finally had to go to Amex and let them sort it - tired of calling Lowes.

They had a software glitch and its supposedly fixed - but they need to fix all the many refunds they did not process.

I'll be thinking twice in future about just booking the best rate and then changing it later - even waiting 10 days is a bit much in 2023 - Disney, Marriott and Hilton all refunded within a day or two
I had a second cancellation requested 9/28 through the Universal site and it was credited 10/6. So that is about 6 business days and the previous one I posted about in this thread was 10-11 business days. It was automatic, no phone calls. I have zero issues with booking whatever I want with them, except when I get to the check in counter at the resort and they say, “ Wow, you have a lot of reservations.” I never mind much about the time it takes to get a refund as long as I get it eventually. I just consider it money that’s going back to them in some form anyway. Somewhere around a week to 10 days has always seemed like a normal timeframe for them to refund.

I had a second cancellation requested 9/28 through the Universal site and it was credited 10/6. So that is about 6 business days and the previous one I posted about in this thread was 10-11 business days. It was automatic, no phone calls. I have zero issues with booking whatever I want with them, except when I get to the check in counter at the resort and they say, “ Wow, you have a lot of reservations.” I never mind much about the time it takes to get a refund as long as I get it eventually. I just consider it money that’s going back to them in some form anyway. Somewhere around a week to 10 days has always seemed like a normal timeframe for them to refund.
Thats how I always felt - but with AP rates and random availability I had a total of 8 cancellations that all took well over 30 days. Its a lot of fun calling in and reading 4 or 5 reservation confirmation codes to them - even using the phonetic alphabet they still seem to have issues. If it was just one call and done then NBD, but its been multiple. If they would give me an email address it would be much easier - but they won't

One thing they really need is an account to link in all your reservations instead of handling them all individually - its would be 100 times easier to manage if these wee linked to my universal account or Lowes account so I could just log in and review them - its very outdated system and I think it used to work like that when they had the lowes first program.
They can search them by email address so its linked somewhere.

I get they had a software glitch and overall I have no issues with Universal Customer service - it always works out in the end - but when you already paid them 1000+ in deposits and paid the CC off and now have to pay another bunch of deposits its a bit annoying. My feeling is they know this is an issue they need to go back and fix it retroactively. I am guessing there are plenty of folks that don't watch the cards closely and don't even know they did not get the refund credited. Also some of these websites are very poorly designed when it comes to reviewing a bunch of transactions so its always been a headache to reconcile - adding to the fun several deposits are the same amount so you dont even know when one got refunded and there is nothing to easily link them except maybe the dates. I had one the CC card company argued was refunded already - but they were linking it to a refund from six months before I booked.

I have a more recent one I did on a different CC so it does not get mixed up with those so will see how that processes
Its unfortunate that the reservation confirmation is not on the CC - the dates usually are - but its still hard to figure which is which and I expect ill still have some issues to deal with between the CC Company and Universal over the next 30days

Thanks all for this information. We are going in November and ended up cancelling a reservation and rebooking a new reservation to shift our stay a day earlier. We just did this two days ago. Will come back with info on deposit refund.

Thats how I always felt - but with AP rates and random availability I had a total of 8 cancellations that all took well over 30 days. Its a lot of fun calling in and reading 4 or 5 reservation confirmation codes to them - even using the phonetic alphabet they still seem to have issues. If it was just one call and done then NBD, but its been multiple. If they would give me an email address it would be much easier - but they won't

One thing they really need is an account to link in all your reservations instead of handling them all individually - its would be 100 times easier to manage if these wee linked to my universal account or Lowes account so I could just log in and review them - its very outdated system and I think it used to work like that when they had the lowes first program.

I get they had a software glitch and overall I have no issues with Universal Customer service - it always works out in the end - but when you already paid them 1000+ in deposits and paid the CC off and now have to pay another bunch of deposits its a bit annoying. My feeling is they know this is an issue they need to go back and fix it retroactively. I am guessing there are plenty of folks that don't watch the cards closely and don't even know they did not get the refund credited. Also some of these websites are very poorly designed when it comes to reviewing a bunch of transactions so its always been a headache to reconcile - adding to the fun several deposits are the same amount so you dont even know when one got refunded and there is nothing to easily link them except maybe the dates. I had one the CC card company argued was refunded already - but they were linking it to a refund from six months before I booked.

I have a more recent one I did on a different CC so it does not get mixed up with those so will see how that processes
Its unfortunate that the reservation confirmation is not on the CC - the dates usually are - but its still hard to figure which is which and I expect ill still have some issues to deal with between the CC Company and Universal over the next 30days
My reservations are all in my Universal account under purchases. If they are canceled it will show me a cancellation number, but not the refund- I still watch the credit card for that. Maybe you don’t log in before you purchase the reservation? I do hope your reservations get refunded soon. This just has not been my experience, and that is why I posted.

My reservations are all in my Universal account under purchases. If they are canceled it will show me a cancellation number, but not the refund- I still watch the credit card for that. Maybe you don’t log in before you purchase the reservation? I do hope your reservations get refunded soon. This just has not been my experience, and that is why I posted.
Thanks

Interesting - that would be useful - for me when I go to purchases nothing is listed and when I click on hotel reservations I have to put in all sort of details and find each one individually. It is probably because I don't log in since it does not prompt me to do so and there is not a simple login button on the booking page and I don't want to waste time with that when availably all of sudden pops up since it might be gone when you come back after logging in.

In the past it always worked well - the 10 business days was always a bit annoying - but I can live with it since I know it will get credited eventually

Hopefully its all set now and it will just be seamless.

Glad I found this thread so I know I'm not alone. I originally had a reservation for a Saturday night (4 people) at Royal Pacific at just over $1000. I decided to switch to a Sunday night which was over $300 less. I called and was told it would take a week or so to have the difference refunded. It never came through I called again and was told when you switch nights they don't refund the difference, they keep it until your trip as a "room credit". That's ridiculous since the trip is not until April. I decided to cancel the entire reservation and rebook at the lower rate. They have not refunded the original $1000+ reservation and it's been two weeks. I'll give that accounting number and/or Lowes a call today. I think they're just making interest on everyone's money.

Glad I found this thread so I know I'm not alone. I originally had a reservation for a Saturday night (4 people) at Royal Pacific at just over $1000. I decided to switch to a Sunday night which was over $300 less. I called and was told it would take a week or so to have the difference refunded. It never came through I called again and was told when you switch nights they don't refund the difference, they keep it until your trip as a "room credit". That's ridiculous since the trip is not until April. I decided to cancel the entire reservation and rebook at the lower rate. They have not refunded the original $1000+ reservation and it's been two weeks. I'll give that accounting number and/or Lowes a call today. I think they're just making interest on everyone's money.
Yeah when they modify your reservation the deposit does not get refunded its just credited to the overall bill.

Its 10 business days for the refund but yeah at two weeks id call them.

Yeah when they modify your reservation the deposit does not get refunded its just credited to the overall bill.

Its 10 business days for the refund but yeah at two weeks id call them.
So I called the accounting number as suggested and the Team Member said "oh yeah, I see the refund is just sitting here. Not sure why it wasn't processed. I'll process it now." So, she refunded the amount but said it could take 10 days to show on my card....craziness!

Edit to add: It's showing pending already on my card. Thank goodness!

Last edited:

we had so much trouble with our refund glitches in aug- sept that at this time even though tried to monitor closely we are still! not sure we got all the money back due us! and to make matters worse, they had issues with their phone system where part way through the call you can hear them but they cannot hear you and you have to call back and start all over! this is a known problem apparently because the next reservation agent we spoke with admitted it was ! not acceptable with all the money they charge you!

Update from another room cancellation from 2 weeks ago. Still no refund so I called the accounting number and again they had to process the refund manually. It's like the refund just gets stuck -it shows as cancelled but the refund never processes. It's a quick call and they are super polite and apologetic but I really hope they can get this fixed !!

Was waiting on a refund from 9/9 & one from 10/10. Called today & they said they put them both through.

I had another that I cancelled months ago but it looks like the original deposit never went through in the first place, so that one is all set too.

Now successfully down to the one deposit for one reservation which we are using next week - yay!

Was waiting on a refund from 9/9 & one from 10/10. Called today & they said they put them both through.

I had another that I cancelled months ago but it looks like the original deposit never went through in the first place, so that one is all set too.

Now successfully down to the one deposit for one reservation which we are using next week - yay!
I’ll be there next week too!!
Woo-how can’t wait

After waiting the 18 or so business days, I was finally connected with accounting last month. After she quickly processed the refund (saw it immediately on my cc) she gave me this number to use if it happened again. (888) 320-6065. This is the accounting department. No need to wait so long with this number. I canceled a room and gave it a week or so before calling this number this week for a different reservation and they immediately did the credit again for me. Seems they’re still having issues.
Thanks for this number! After 4 weeks my 10/2 cancellation still had not been refunded. I called this number today and they said it was still “being processed” so they manually did the processing.

Yeah - I still have several I am waiting on going to call at the end of the week - still recovering from my trip.

Just wanted to let the everyone know that there are some longer than usual delays with refunds for Universal reservation cancelations.
I just spoke to them as its been about 18 business days and I have not received a refund on several bookings for October.
They had a software upgrade at the end of July that has affected cancelation from late to July and into August and its taking around 18 business days for refunds to process.

So long story short no point in calling them unless its been 18 business days :(
I waited almost a month for one cancellation: Oct. 10 finally refunded Nov. 4.
For the another cancellation made Oct. 2, it's now Nov. 9 and I'm still waiting. I've called four separate times. I finally was told it would be refunded right now (after a previous representative suggested I call my credit card company despite previously being told Universal still had not acted). Sort of an apology, but really no assurance that anything will be done.

I waited almost a month for one cancellation: Oct. 10 finally refunded Nov. 4.
For the another cancellation made Oct. 2, it's now Nov. 9 and I'm still waiting. I've called four separate times. I finally was told it would be refunded right now (after a previous representative suggested I call my credit card company despite previously being told Universal still had not acted). Sort of an apology, but really no assurance that anything will be done.
Yeah - I just finally got all of mine sorted today.

I filed a dispute with the Credit Card company and that seemed to get Lowes to then refund them and push back on the disputes...always fun and made it even a bigger mess to track them all down and figure out what was what.

Considering this is still going on and they don't seemed to have addressed it fully not sure what Ill do with booking in the future - it really is a PITA to have to track them all down a month after and reconcile them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter