Cancelled Port More Than A Year In Advance?

So I just got an email this morning that our December 2, 2019 cruise that it won't be stopping at Nassau, Bahamas and we're getting a day at sea instead. It was definitely unexpected because the cruise is so far away and I'm also disappointed as I was kind of looking forward to exploring Nassau for the first time, and was partially the reason as to why we booked this specific cruise. They didn't give any reason as to why they cancelled that port and when I called they didn't have a reason either. Does this happen often? I know in the contract it says they can make itinerary changes at any time, but it kind of sucks when you've booked this so far in advance with Nassau in mind and it gets changed like that without any sort of compensation for it. I'm frankly just confused if I should just stick to this cruise or pay $200 more to switch to another cruise with the risk of Nassau being cancelled on that one as well. I don't know if we'll be able to keep busy for both days we'll be at sea, but then again, I've never been on a cruise before. Hope you can all provide some insight. :confused3
I have no idea why they did this and they should have provided you an explanation. I would be disappointed too. There is a lot of Nassau bashing out there, but I kind of like Nassau. I've been there 3 times on cruises and I've always had a good time. Oh sure, the people that are trying to sell you stuff as you leave the gated terminal can be a bit much, but I smile say "hello" or "good morning" and continue on my way. I've been there twice at the first of the year and "Happy New Year" seems to work well.

Please let us know if you find out a reason for the change of plans, and I hope you have a magical cruise!

So I just got an email this morning that our December 2, 2019 cruise that it won't be stopping at Nassau, Bahamas and we're getting a day at sea instead. It was definitely unexpected because the cruise is so far away and I'm also disappointed as I was kind of looking forward to exploring Nassau for the first time, and was partially the reason as to why we booked this specific cruise. They didn't give any reason as to why they cancelled that port and when I called they didn't have a reason either. Does this happen often? I know in the contract it says they can make itinerary changes at any time, but it kind of sucks when you've booked this so far in advance with Nassau in mind and it gets changed like that without any sort of compensation for it. I'm frankly just confused if I should just stick to this cruise or pay $200 more to switch to another cruise with the risk of Nassau being cancelled on that one as well. I don't know if we'll be able to keep busy for both days we'll be at sea, but then again, I've never been on a cruise before. Hope you can all provide some insight. :confused3

I would imagine it was cancelled due to special event. Or it could be election day or government holiday which would mean no one to work customs. That would be my best guess.

Since your cruise is at the end of the year. Dcl might of figured they would of already met their quota for the year for Nassau. So they can get to the next port more slowly and save lots of $$$$$.

Last edited:
According to Cruise Timetables, Disney Dream, Magic, Navigator of the Seas and Costa Luminosa are all scheduled to be in Nassau on December 3, 2019. Dream is still showing Nassau on Dec 3rd on Disney’s website. Not sure why they cancelled Magic, that would have been fun to be in port with Dream.

We've been to Nassau twice on cruises. I have zero desire to return. I'm not saying there is nothing to do there, but it's not a port that anyone should worry about missing or plan their cruise around.

On a more general basis - when it comes to cruising (and travel in general) you have to roll with the punches. Some of our favorite adventures over the years were the result of something not turning out the way we initially thought it would. If you have the right attitude, a change in plans can often turn into a great experience! Some of our best travel memories were the result of something not going the way we planned. :)

OP - its you lucky day if you ask me! I would take a sea day in a storm over a day in Nassau!

After what we went through last week, I wouldn't agree ;) We didn't sail through any storms, but having the itinerary changed three times in the first four days was a bit much!

I'm really glad all of you have put in this input. I was definitely a tad disappointed with the initial shock of the change, but you all have reassured me that we're going to have a wonderful time no matter what! Thank you all so much!
It is a shock when you have planned and paid for something and then it's like, "guess what, you are not going there." We have been to Nassau via DCL a few times. Have always had a good day there, but we do an excursion as my husband does not like the haggling. However, you will have a blast. No worries there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter