Candy Cane Inn vs. Tropicana

M_loves_DW

Earning My Ears
Hi! We are coming in August and I can't decide between CCI or Tropicana. After taxes parking fees (for Tropicana) the Tropicana comes to $24.57 more total- But they also don't offer breakfast. Is the walk/shuttle to CCI worth it? It will be me, DH and DD who is 2. We will only have 2.5 days at the parks. We might need to take afternoon breaks for DD to nap and maybe me too (I will be 18 weeks pregnant). Not sure how much the time difference to and from is. Thoughts? Thanks! Originally we were booked at Park Place because that is where we have always stayed before but these two choices were much cheaper.

I've only stayed at the Candy Cane Inn. I liked it a lot, the staff is super friendly.

I was just at DL this past weekend and we stayed near the Tropicana. I can tell you right now the Candy Cane Inn is a much easier walk to the parks than the Tropicana.

We like CCI better. CCI has a free shuttle every 30 minutes or a 10 minute walk. Tropicana is fine but a but further walk. There is a public shuttle you can take but can't remember cost. The breakfast at CCI is decent, especially when on a budget. CCI also offers AAA discount, plus they give you a $10 gift certificate to spend within the year. So we normally save $20 on a repeat visit. Its our go to hotel when not staying at a Disney hotel(which we are now priced out of since the MASSIVE price hikes the past couple years)

By the way, Anaheim Inn and Suites we also like. And they have a reallly good pizza place inside, but their prices have gone up quite a bit since their remodel.

Not sure why folks are saying CCI is closer. The Tropicana is really really close to the park entrance. Definitely a shorter walk than Candy Cane. From the center of the Esplanade, it's about 1400 ft to Trop and almost 3000 feet to Candy Cane (per wiki measuring map-http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=33.809212&lon=-117.918813&z=19&m=b ). But really, they're both really close.

However, CCI does have a shuttle and breakfast. So if the Trop is more, go to the place that offers you the most....which sounds like CCI.

Not sure why folks are saying CCI is closer. The Tropicana is really really close to the park entrance. Definitely a shorter walk than Candy Cane. From the center of the Esplanade, it's about 1400 ft to Trop and almost 3000 feet to Candy Cane (per wiki measuring map-http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=33.809212&lon=-117.918813&z=19&m=b ). But really, they're both really close.

However, CCI does have a shuttle and breakfast. So if the Trop is more, go to the place that offers you the most....which sounds like CCI.

I apologize, you are correct. I was thinking of the Islander. I think their signs confuse me. Just looked on maps. I've never been to tropicana.

I enjoyed my stay at Candy Cane Inn. It was a while ago, I think 2008. The walk wasn't horrible but I think we only did it to and from the parks; I don't think we took afternoon breaks that trip. I think the shuttle runs on a pretty consistent schedule at least.

For what it's worth, Trip Advisor has Candy Cane as #4 and Tropicana as #36 when you sort Anaheim hotels by Traveler Ranked. CCI has 4.5 circles and Tropicana has 4. Have you looked at Park Vue Inn? I haven't stayed there yet, but they are right at the Harbor crosswalk (next door to Park Place Inn) and are #11 on the same Trip Advisor list with 4.5 circles. They also have an included breakfast.

I have stayed at both multiple times. The CCI shuttle runs like clockwork every 30 minutes. If you miss it the walk is an extra 5 minute over Tropicana. CCI is just a nicer place and and the breakfast is really good.

With a 2 year old I assume you have a stroller? That will be one drawback of CCI having to get on and off a shuttle.

I personally choose CCI over Tropicana. My pecking order is I always stay at BWPPI if available because it is the closest to DLR. If not available I choose CCI. If CCI is not available then I will go to Tropicana. All are fine choices.

Once the overpass over Harbor is finished the pros and cons of all the Harbor hotels will change I suspect.

:wizard:

CCI is always my first choice if it's available. Tropicana is if you want to be as close as you can to the parks, but when you add in the amenities (free breakfast, shuttle, free parking, and just all around nicer hotel), CCI is a better value for me. I'm willing to walk the little bit extra.

We just came from the CCI this week. Loved it. We had previously stayed at the Tropicana for the last few times. But the parking, dark rooms and the rather blah attitude of the management made us consider a change. Once we added up parking, we still came out ahead with CCI. The breakfast is great if you have a picky kid and just want something light. The shuttle it true to its times and there is always room. The rooms were bigger, wood floors, pretty setting and we found it a lot quieter. I like the 10 off coupon per night for your next stay. The walk was easy. Not having to cross any major streets was big bonus.

We took afternoon breaks for our daughter to rest/swim and change clothes for nighttime. No issues.

We also usually stay at the BWPPI but are booked at the Tropicana this time due to cost. We've stayed there before and it was just fine. I've never stayed at the CCI but for us the close proximity of the Tropicana was the selling point. We are only using it as a place to sleep so clean and close is good for me. It's just DD9 and I this trip so the free breakfast isn't really an issue, nor is free parking. I really appreciate the 5 minute walk at the end of a long day, and not having to beat the crowds to the shuttles, which we've also done in the past and won't do again.

Candy Cane Inn is a great little motel. The shuttle runs ON TIME. The walk is easy and nice. I also like that it is close to 7/11. And it's breakfast is very good. The rooms are clean and staff is friendly.

Tropicana is definitely closer to DL. It's a quick walk across Harbor. I stayed there for the first time in February with DH and DS21. The smallish room with two queens worked for that trip. If DS18 had also been with us, we would have needed a bigger room (or two rooms). I did like that the sink/vanity area was outside of the bathroom. We brought our own breakfast foods, but the in-room coffee was really awful. I walked down to Panera on our last day to get decent coffee. Our room had a few small issues that were annoying but not worth spending the time to complain about and get fixed. The light switch in the vanity area was temperamental and the bathroom door wouldn't lock. I probably will not stay there again unless I get a really good deal. I stayed a couple of times at CCI several years ago and remember liking it a lot. The breakfast was good and the rooms were nice and clean. The reason we don't stay there anymore is that they don't have suites or sofa beds. With two tall adult sons, we need three beds and more space. I do see their shuttle running back and forth from DL frequently. If it were me, I would choose CCI over Tropicana.

I was so confused reading this! We usually stay at the hotels on Harbour, and for some reason have never stayed at Tropicana, but I booked them for a trip in August. I was thinking there must be a second one and freaked out and looked up the address!

To address the OP, when travelling with a young child, I like how close the Tropicana and the neighboring hotels are. Good to be able to pop back into the hotel and have a nap or quiet time, or swap out clothing. It's actually closer than the "on-property" hotels. For me, that's the biggest advantage. I think if my kids were older I would look into hotels that are further with shuttles, but being so close is really nice.

For me, it is more an issue with the rooms themselves. I have aged, and no longer consider the room just a place to sleep and shower. Thus I prefer the amenities at Candy Cane. I generally book the premium rooms. I like having breakfast delivered in the morning and the larger room, with DVD players. The rooms at Tropicana just no longer do it for me. Add to it, the shuttle is there if you need it, if not, it is about a 6 min further walk than the Tropicana.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter