• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Canes?

ILuvCrush

DIS Veteran
hi DIS friends!
My mom has MS... And although she gets around very well, she does get tired or wobbly after long days. She has a cane with one of the little fold out seats attached that she would like to take along (she could rest in a long line that way if needed... Or at least have a seat if there's none available since we will be there over New Years and it will be very busy.). She has a pocket disability card for like parking and such. Would her cane be allowed in the parks? Or would we have to rent a wheelchair?
Thanks in advance!

You would be better off with a wheelchair or scooter. Most lines don't stop long enough for her to unfold her seat and get a bit of a rest.

Thanks for your reply!! Unfortunately she refuses to use a scooter and I'm concerned that we won't be able to get a wheelchair at Epcot on New Year's Eve (not to mention navigate one thru the mass of humanity!!). So that's why I'm asking about the cane. We won't be waiting in lines for rides on NYE... But she may need somewhere to rest while the rest in the party are in line for food/drinks/etc.
other days a wheelchair is our plan if she poopers out and needs it.

Last edited:
Seat canes are allowed in the parks, but a wheelchair would probably be a better option. I've seen people sitting on seat canes get jostled and even knocked over by passers-by more than once. They tend to be rather wobbly and uncomfortable, and there's more uneven ground in the parks than you think.

I agree with the others that a cane seat really won't meet your mother's needs, even though they are allowed. If you are planning for a chair for her on other days anyway, I'd rent one for your entire stay from an offsite agency, so you don't have to worry about the parks supply running out.

Seat canes are allowed in the parks, but a wheelchair would probably be a better option. I've seen people sitting on seat canes get jostled and even knocked over by passers-by more than once. They tend to be rather wobbly and uncomfortable, and there's more uneven ground in the parks than you think.
Thank you for answering my question.

Though I appreciate all your concern, we do not plan to get a wheelchair for my mom. I wasn't even planning on the cane, until I started reading horror stories about not even finding anywhere to sit for a few minutes on NYE at Epcot. The ground is fine for the rest of us... But I wanted my mom to have an option.

The problem with the cane seat is that she is out of the site line of people and they won't be looking for her and will knock her over. I know you keep saying no wheelchair, but she wouldn't have to use it. She could use it like a walker and just push it or park it and get it when she needs to sit.

on my last trip some one was sitting on a cane set and fell out of it ( I do not think any one touched her) and I am sure she broke her arm and had a good cut on her head, you really have to be careful using one I would get a wheel chair I know you do not want one but better then getting hurt she might do well with a roller

Thank you for answering my question.

Though I appreciate all your concern, we do not plan to get a wheelchair for my mom. I wasn't even planning on the cane, until I started reading horror stories about not even finding anywhere to sit for a few minutes on NYE at Epcot. The ground is fine for the rest of us... But I wanted my mom to have an option.

I get why you would like to have that option for your mom. Unfortunately it is not a very good option. It is hard to find level ground in the parks, and as other posters have pointed out, those can chairs are not very well balanced. Plus, as packed as the parks will be over New Years it will be tough to find a place to use the chair without having the risk of it getting knocked into, and your mom falling. I am a bit confused though, why you mentioned renting a wheelchair in your first post, and now say it is not an option.

A friend of mine uses the walker with the seat in it. It's more stable and folds up nice for easy traveling by bus or car

I have used a cane chair in Disneyland.. it was ok for what I needed. but very uncomfortable for longer periods of time. I never used it in a line.. but did use it while waiting for family to come back from rides when their was no seat available.. you do not have to bring her disability card with her.. as the cane will be enough for the CM's to see she has mobility issues.. if she doesn't want or a wheelchair in not an option, maybe a walker? that way she will have more stability and a seat when needed.. and they are higher so she will be seen a bit more.. and when in line she can sit and move without having to stand.. etc.. hope you have a great trip.

I am with your mom, I have had two hip replacements and refuse to use a wheelchair. I did use a cane a lot my last trip. I would say her cane with a seat should be fine. That is my next purchase.

She has a pocket disability card for like parking and such.

I'm not exactly sure what you are thinking regarding "parking and such" with some kind of pocket disability card. If you are driving and wish to utilize the reserved parking spots, she needs to have an official handicapped hangtag or license plates issued by your local DMV. There is no other recognized card recognized for parking lots. If she does not have a hangtag or plates, you can request close but do not park in the reserved spots. WDW parking lots are patrolled and you can be ticketed.

As for the cane seat -- yes, it is allowed. As mentioned, most queues are slow moving, so she may not have time to set open the chair and sit before needing to move along again. As for a place to sit outside of lines, the cane seat may or may not be allowed. WDW does not allow "folding chairs" and while there have been some reports of people being allowed to use a cane seat while waiting for parades, others have reported being told to fold it up. Please realize that New Years Eve will be particularly crowded which may make it even harder to safely sit on a 3-legged seat without being jostled. I'd at least consider renting a wheelchair as a back-up option. Unlike ECVs, manual wheelchairs rarely run out at the in-park rental locations.

Enjoy your vacation!

I can understand the desire to not want to use a chair but i've never done less than 7 miles and usually end up closer to 10 or 11 miles of walking per day.. If the day comes I need the chair I would not hesitate to use one. My daughter twisted her ankle really bad the start of one trip. After 3 days of not leaving the resort room, she finally decided to try a chair. It was the only way she could get around the parks and it was great for us even with the large crowds that were happening. Getting a spot that works for a chair to see fireworks and parades was easy, we didn't get blocked by anyone or blocked any children trying to get the chair somewhere good to sit..

I'm all for strong will but how much more can you enjoy the park if you just used a chair? it doesn't mean you have to sit in it the whole time, but it does help someone with mobility needs not miss anything because they can rest while doing things.. I personally would rent a chair and have it at the room for the trip just in case they decide it would be a help. Even if they only use it to get breakfast, it's there, available everywhere we go and not a budget breaker.

I get why you would like to have that option for your mom. Unfortunately it is not a very good option. It is hard to find level ground in the parks, and as other posters have pointed out, those can chairs are not very well balanced. Plus, as packed as the parks will be over New Years it will be tough to find a place to use the chair without having the risk of it getting knocked into, and your mom falling. I am a bit confused though, why you mentioned renting a wheelchair in your first post, and now say it is not an option.

Getting a wheelchair on the fly if needed is my plan.... Not hers. We will have several college age kids with us so I figured I'd send one of them to fetch it if she had any trouble.
We go to WDW at least once a year, so I'm aware of the amount of walking involved.
She takes the cane seat along when we go to craft fairs or places like that with limited seating in case she needs to rest a bit without sitting on the ground. Or for support if she gets tired and needs something to lean on. It is not something she uses on a regular basis.

People may find those fold down seat canes helpful during quieter times of year, but you are going during one of the busiest times when using one may provide very little help.

If you have never been to WDW on New Years Eve or New Years Day, it is hard to imagine how busy it will be.
It does usually quiet down about January 3. But before that, it is literally so full that you can't put your arms out in any direction without touching someone. At times the crowd is going at a snail's pace or stopped, even while walking on main pathways. At times, you won't have much choice of where to go - you are basically part of a mass of people moving along as a mass. If you need to leave 'the mass', you may need to move quickly and move against traffic; that can make it hard to keep your group together.

Those kinds of crowds can be challenging for guests who don't have any mobility or balance issues. Many people with MS also have vision, perceptual or anxiety related disabilities that can make it even more difficult.

As other have mentioned, the cane seats are not very stable - they can tip easily. In order to use it with a reasonable sense of stability, she would need to find a spot out of any traffic and with a wall/fence behind her (preferably in a corner). She is not likely to find those things easily in the places you need her to wait during such a busy time of year.

I would NOT rent an ECV for use during that time period unless the person was very familiar with/comfortable using one. It's so busy and slow moving that driving is difficult and you will have walls of people all around while you drive along at butt level.
If you wait to get a wheelchair 'on the fly' you may find there are none available, plus she would not be able to use it to get out of the park to your car or the buses.

I know you said she doesn't want it, but I would suggest renting a wheelchair or rollator (walker with wheels and a fold down seat) from one of the off-site rental places. There is information in post 2 of the disabilities FAQs thread.
I understand people have an aversion to using one, but mobility devices like wheelchairs and walkers are tools that can make life easier and make the trip more comfortable and let you do more. People are not usually afraid of getting dependent on glasses if they need them - mobility devices are the same - a tool.

You are correct that they may run out of wheelchairs at the park (more likely to run out of ECVs, but could run out of wheelchairs too).
You may want to look into buying a rollator. There are inexpensive models available at many pharmacies or large variety stores (like Walmart, Costco or Wallgreens).

Regarding parking - agree with lanejudy. Parking in the handicapped parking areas is by state issued handicapped permit only (issued by your home state). Parking in a handicapped parking spot without a permit might result in a ticket. Even with a handicapped permit, expect the handicapped lit might be full. They do fill up even during less busy times. This is especially true at the Studio, which has the smallest lot, but we have found the lot full at Epcot (which has the largest lot).
Even though the handicapped parking lots are the closest, your shortest walk may be parking in the regular lot and using the parking lot trams. (Handicapped parking is not served by trams).

We will not have a car. I only mentioned the pocket card earlier to illustrate that if needed on park entry she had proof of disability. When she got her tag renewal this year, the state sent a pocket card along with the hang tag.

Last edited:
We will not have a car. I only mentioned the pocket card earlier to illustrate that if needed on park entry she had proof of disability. When she got her tag renewal this year, the state sent a pocket card along with the hang tag.

If you are thinking it proves the need for the can seat, be aware Disney will tell you stamina/mobility issues need to be addressed via their approved methods of a scooter or wheelchair. Folding chairs of any kind are not allowed, even for people with stamina issues.

Please be prepared that your mom might not be allowed to use the chair part of the cane.

Ok. I guess that I'll have her leave it at home then. I don't want to drag it down there and her not be able to use it.
If I can talk her into a wheelchair and there are any even available, we will go tat route. If not then she will just have to sit on the ground with the rest of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter